NAIF

Dumb and Dumber
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NORMALCY AT ITS FINEST

“Hey, have you heard?”

“What?”

“Mr. Kim’s daughter would act as the CEO starting tomorrow!”

“Isn’t she too young for that?”

“Well, yeah. But I think Mr. Kim would not appoint anyone if they’re incompetent.”

Hyewon rolled her eyes hearing the gossip behind her. She was currently at their cafeteria eating with her friends, Yena and Sakura, when the gossip started spreading like wildfire. She was stuffing herself with food when she overheard another thing.

“I heard she’s also beautiful!”

“Really?”

“Like seriously, hundred percent beautiful!”

Seriously, can’t they just eat peacefully?

Yena and Sakura noticed Hyewon is getting annoyed with all the gossip about the new CEO, they looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders.

“Kwangbae, just eat your lunch.” Yena said quietly.

“They’re being loud,” Hyewon whined, “I can’t focus on the flavors.”

“Stop being so dramatic.” Sakura laughed which earned a glare from Hyewon.

“It’s almost time, come on.” Yena said as she got up from their table. She was followed by Hyewon and Sakura, with the forming whining about not being able to eat enough. They’ve put their trays on the cleaning counter and proceeded to go out of the cafeteria, where the gossip is still happening.

“Do you think it’s true?” Sakura questioned the two.

“About the new CEO?” Yena answered, “I think so, Mr. Kim is not getting any younger.”

“No, I mean about her daughter being so beautiful?”

They then heard a scoff behind them, only to see Hyewon. The latter shrugged her shoulders and ignored the look of her two friends.

“What?” Yena said, curious with the reaction of her friend.

“It’s just, you’re gossiping too.” Hyewon rolled her eyes, still thinking about the food earlier.

“We’re just curious.” Sakura pouted.

“I hope others won’t focus on her looks alone,” Hyewon said, with a sudden concern etching on her features. “You should focus on her skills for the company, and not her looks.”

“Oh, Kwangbae being sentimental all of a sudden!” Yena which was joined by Sakura.

“You planning to make her your – “

“Stop right there!” Hyewon whined and grabbed her two friends by their necks. The three of them were laughing together as they walk to their department. They’ve been friends since college, and being able to work with them at the same company is the best thing.

“I just think she’s just going to be normal just like us.” Hyewon stated still grabbing Yena and Sakura who were both looking at her with a teasing glint in their eyes.

“100 dollars, you’ll be swoon by her beauty.”

“Hey! How about her catching a crush?” Yena suggested. “We both know that Hyewon won’t be swooned by anyone’s beauty. Which is odd by the way.”

“Are you seriously betting on my life?” Hyewon tightened her hold on their necks making Yena and Sakura wince.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“We’ve been doing it since college.”

Hearing that, Hyewon was about hurt them again when they quickly pulled away laughing and ran away. She’s too tired to run after them, making her roll her eyes. I hate having friends like them.

 

 

Typing on the keyboard was the only thing anyone could hear at the office, with the occasional groaning and whispers. Everyone was too busy because of the amount of work they need to do, Sakura and Yena were both hunched on their monitor, while Hyewon was just staring at it.

Noticing this, Yena nudged the girl’s chair to get her attention.

“What the hell are you doing?” She whispered.

“I’m finished already.”

This caused the two of her friends to snap their necks to look at Hyewon who was simply doodling on her notebook.

“How?” Sakura questioned, she turned to look at her own monitor and mentally groan since she was still halfway on her work.

“I was bored yesterday, so I decided to do some work done.”

Yena was about to whine to get help for her friend when all of their officemates stood up. Without a thought, the three of them immediately followed despite the confusion.

“Good afternoon, everyone.” They heard Mr. Kim greeted them. A series of greetings were heard which earned a smile from the middle-aged man. The three friends looked at each and shrugged.

“So, I think everyone knows that someone would take over my position?” Mr. Kim asked kindly, as he scanned the room.

“I’m just here to introduce that person,” He continued and stepped aside. “Everyone, I would like you to meet your new CEO.”

A girl, with delicate features stepped into view. Gasps were heard and most of the people were staring at her. Standing in front of them, a girl with soft features from her pointed nose and plumped lips, everyone could not help but to agree with the gossip. She is a hundred percent beauty.

“Please meet my daughter, Kim Minju.” Mr. Kim introduced. The girl then bowed her head as a greeting.

“Hi, my name is Kim Minju.” She smiled at everyone, making some guys blush. “Please take care of me.”

After introducing herself, she then scanned the room trying to familiarize the faces in front of her. she could see everyone staring at her, with both admiration and awe. So, when she looked at the far left, she was surprised to meet some black orbs staring right at her. It was a blank stare unlike the others, furrowing her eyebrows she looked at the person only to be greeted by a girl sporting a poker face.

She looked beside the person to see other two girls who oddly resembled a duck and one that looks like she came out of an anime. She returned her gaze to the girl who was staring at her with a blank look, she doesn’t know why but she feels nervous which made her gulp. She then immediately averted her gaze to look at her father smiling at her.

“Okay, everyone!” Her father addressed the employees, “Please continue on with your work.”

The two of them went straight to her soon to be office, not without passing by the table of the three unknown girls earlier. Minju tried to sneak a glance to her right to see the girl again, and she felt her heart almost dropped when the girl caught her. She quickly walked away hoping she was not obvious.

“That’s Kang Hyewon.” Her father whispered.

“What?”

“The quiet girl on the left,” Mr. Kim shrugged. “Kang Hyewon.” He smiled innocently at Minju.

“What are you – “ She didn’t finish her question when her father quickly entered her room ignoring her.

 

 

Murmurs were heard after the introduction of the new CEO. Guys were already declaring their love for the girl, gossips about her started floating around the second she went away. This caused Hyewon to roll her eyes and trying to continue her game on her phone.

“Hey!” She heard her friend whisper. “Kang Hyewon!”

Losing her game, she quietly groaned and glared at Yena who was smirking at her. She then saw Sakura’s head peaking behind Yena sporting the same smirk.

“The new boss was staring at you!” Yena squealed, followed by Sakura.

“She was like, staring staring!”

“Your point?” Hyewon deadpanned at the two.

“Were you swooned by her beauty?” Sakura asked.

“Because you can’t deny,” The other annoying friend added, “She’s like, damn! She’s a beauty.”

Hyewon looked up at the ceiling while her two friends waiting for her answer. She remembered the introduction earlier, Mr. Kim’s gentle smile and the girl beside her. Minju, as she introduced herself, may not look like her father, but she carries the same eyes and aura that Mr. Kim exudes. Remembering the girl’s face, she immediately turned to look at her friends and shrugged.

“She looks,” She trailed, Yena and Sakura nodded their head with eat-ting grins on their faces. “She looks normal. She looks young, organized? She’s clean, pleasing to the eyes?” She said, unsure if that’s what Yena and Sakura wants to hear.

Hearing the answer, Yena and Sakura stopped shaking, and their faces dropped. Both of them looked at their friend with an incredulous look asking her is she’s serious.

“What?” Hyewon asks dumbly.

Sakura rolled her eyes and groaned. Swiveling her chair back to her station, “Seriously, Kang Hyewon.”

“I bet you’re going to have a crush on her.” Yena said and went back to her own.

“I second that!” Sakura said and smiled at Hyewon. Earning a laugh from Yena and fist bumped together.

Hyewon stared at her two friends, ignoring their comments. She focused on her phone again trying to past time, she was waiting for the server to load when she thought about her answer. Isn’t being clean, a compliment?

Shrugging her shoulders, she started playing with her game again when she heard the game staring signal. Forgetting all of the events earlier, she was too consumed by her game not noticing two of her friends looking at her.

“She’s going to get a crush.” Yena whispered to Sakura.

“A big fat crush.” Sakura giggle which was joined by Yena.

 

She is not clean.

That is a fact, a surprising one, that Hyewon discovered about their new boss. Two days after Minju’s introduction to the office, nothing important happened. Everyone was still hyped up by her beauty, Yena and Sakura still pestering her about her opinion on the girl. Seriously why are they adamant about it?

In those two days, Hyewon did not see Minju anywhere, thinking that she might still be adjusting to her life. But Hyewon does not care, not really. She just wishes the girl is adjusting well to her position and in the office well, but other than, nothing much.

But on the third day, Hyewon was surprised that the girl is not clean at all. She’s all the opposite. It all happened that morning. Hyewon just arrived at their building by herself, since both of her friends went without her. Apparently, it’s her fault since she overslept. But she’s not that much late, heck, it is still considered early compared to the others who arrives around 10.

She was quietly walking, all in her own world. She patiently waited for the elevator, grateful that there’s no line for it. Maybe she should arrive around this time starting from now to avoid people. She was pulled out from her thoughts when she heard the elevator, entering it she pressed her designated floor. As the door was about to close, she heard a loud shout.

“Wait!” She heard from outside, “Please wait!”

Quickly, she pressed the door to open. Hyewon then heard quick clicking of heels and there entered their new CEO, panting out of breath. All red from all the running, she furrowed her eyebrows as she stared at the girl’s state. What the hell happened to her?

“Thank you so much!” Minju said still not seeing the person with her. “Sorry for – “ She stopped talking when she saw those familiar black orbs from her first day staring at her.

Hyewon smiled awkwardly, she doesn’t know what to do. She’s inside the elevator with their new CEO, who was obviously late, for a CEO’s standard. She observed the girl when she noticed that Minju was holding a paper bag from the café near their company.

“Good morning Ms. Kim.” She quietly said and bowed. Minju nodded, suddenly shy and bowed to the girl who just greeted. Hyewon smiled and waited for the elevator to close. She glanced at the CEO beside her, a respectable distance between them. She doesn’t know why but the girl looks normal.

“Overslept?” Minju said, trying to start a conversation.

“Ah, yes.” Hyewon answered, sensing the conversation being awkward she cleared .

“I’m Kang Hyewon.” She bowed again introducing herself. Of course, she’s the CEO how would she know right? Out of the hundreds of people she’s handling, she won’t know her name.

But she didn’t notice that the young CEO blushed and nodded. I know.

“I’m Kim Mi – “

“Kim Minju.” Hyewon cut her off. The older girl smiled. “Of course, I know.”

Minju nodded and blushed again, Hyewon then looked ahead, waiting for the elevator to arrive at their floor. The ride was too awkward for her to handle. She took a glance again beside her, to see Minju eating a muffin. Messily. She’s getting crumbs on herself.  She frowned.

Feeling the elevator stop, she looked at the floor only to sigh. They’re still 18 floors below their own, she was welcomed by the sight of men on their suits talking loudly. They suddenly became quiet when they saw two girls inside the elevator. But Hyewon did not miss how they stared at the young CEO beside her. Disgusting.

Noticing some of their smirks, Hyewon closed her eyes. As they enter, Minju stepped back gulping, putting the muffin inside the paper bag again. Hyewon then stepped closer to the young CEO out of instinct. Which surprised the latter, but Hyewon was just staring ahead not looking at her.

The men were weirdly compressing to Minju’s corner, and some were glancing at her. Hyewon noticed the blouse and skirt of the young CEO were all disheveled from all the running earlier, she guessed. She noticed how the young CEO felt the stares, glaring at some men in front of them she stepped in front Minju.

This caused the man in front of her who was obviously trying to press his back against Minju to step forward. Minju was surprised by the act but Hyewon still acted nonchalant. The elevator stopped again and more people went inside.

Giving some of those disgusting a reason to stand closer to Minju. The latter stepped backward, already reaching the corner. Hyewon also stepped back for the other people that entered, she could see through her peripheral vision that one guy on their right trying to get as close as possible. Sighing and groaning quietly, Hyewon turned around.

Facing Minju, who looked at her with wide eyes. She quickly diverted her gaze, feeling awkward all of a sudden. She fixed her bag on her shoulder, and her arms on the wall for support to give the young CEO some space.

Understanding what Hyewon was doing and how closed the girl was, Minju blushed and looked down not affording the girl to see her blushing her face. Why are men so disgusting?

With how close they are, Hyewon could see up close the young CEO’s face. She noticed her red face. Is she claustrophobic? She then noticed that heer attire is so out of place from the running that she did earlier, the crumbs from her muffin, hair out of place. What the hell happened to her?

Minju could feel Hyewon staring and did not dare look up from the ground, she hoped that they would arrive as fast as possible. Why didn’t my father invest in fast and spacious elevators?

Feeling the elevator stop, most of the people walked out leaving Hyewon, Minju and the other man from earlier. Minju could finally exhale the breath she was holding as Hyewon stepped away from her.

“Sorry, you might be uncomfortable because of the cramped space.” Hyewon whispered and smiled hoping it doesn’t look awkward.

“No, thank you. Don’t worry.” Minju muttered, when they heard someone clearing their throat only to see the man looking, checking out, Minju.

“Haven’t seen your face here.” He smirked, ignoring Hyewon’s presence beside her.

Minju ignored the man and avoided his gaze, but the man was persistent.

“I always take new employees out for lunch,” He smiled, predatorily. “Some even asks for dinner.”

“I’m busy.” Minju answered coldly, but she was trembling inside.

“Well, maybe next time.” The man stepped closer, “I’m a patie – “

“I think you should go out.” Hyewon stepped forward, seeing that the man was about to walk forward again.

“And who do yo – “ He was cut off by a blank stare.

The man was much taller than Hyewon, she knows that. But she wasn’t even bothered, not even a bit. She only stared at the man, giving him a blank look. He doesn’t know what’s with the girl’s stare but it made him feel like he’s going to piss his pants. He gulped and quickly went out when he felt the elevator stop.

Minju was staring at Hyewon who was still looking at the numbers on the elevator. She felt how cold the girl’s voice was earlier. She was about to thank her when she saw Hyewon giving her something. Handkerchief?

“What is this?”

“A handkerchief.” Hyewon answered, stating the obvious.

“I mean, what is it for?”

Hyewon turned around and looked at her, checking her from head to toe. She then pointed at her from up to down.

“You have crumbs all over yourself.” She deadpanned. “And your clothes are not…” She trailed off. Looking at the young CEO’s clothes.

Hearing that, Minju looked at her own clothes and indeed she looked like someone who came out of a car. She then touched her face only to feel some crumbs on it, she quickly grabbed the offered handkerchief. She was embarrassed. Deadly, embarrassed. Did I look like this the whole time?

Feeling Minju embarrassed, Hyewon didn’t know if she told the right thing, especially to their new boss nonetheless. The girl was not talking to her, she was still busy fixing herself. Did I say the right thing?

Feeling the elevator stop, finally at their floor. She glanced back to see Minju already finished. She cleared . Before going out, she muttered.

“Don’t worry, you looked cute.” She said, and shrugged her shoulders. Walking out of the elevator as if she didn’t just say anything weird. Leaving a young CEO staring at her back, blushing.

Minju was pulled out of her shock when she saw the elevator closing and immediately walked out. She walked along the office going to her room, when she saw Hyewon taking a seat talking to her friends. She then glanced to their side, when Hyewon looked at her smiled. Making her lose her footing. Tripping herself. .

All of the employees looked at her and she couldn’t get anymore embarrassed. Minju quickly gathered herself and was about to get her paper bag when someone grabbed. It was Hyewon looking at her worriedly.

“Are you okay Ms. Kim?”

She blushed and nodded. Grabbing the bag rather harshly and pushing the handkerchief to the girl, making the latter confuse. Minju immediately walked inside her office and locked it. She gulped to herself. What the hell Kim Minju?

 

 

“What the hell just happened?” Yena questioned to the still standing Hyewon, confused by their young CEO.

She shrugged and walked back to her station. “I don’t know.”

“Wait, did she just give you a handkerchief?”

Noticing the object she’s holding, she shook her head. “No, I’ve let her borrow it. She just returned it.”

Hearing the nonchalant response, Yena and Sakura shocked, immediately swiveled their chair nearer Hyewon.

“What do you mean you’ve let her borrow it?” Sakura asked, excitedly.

“What did you do?!?” Yena adding oil to the fire.

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon explained herself.

“We were on the same elevator and – “

“What did you do inside?!” Sakura cut her off.

“Kwangbae don’t do it in the office!” Yena teased.

Groaning, she pushed the two away from her since they won’t listen to her explaination. Surely, yena and Sakura would just spout nonsense things in favor of their imagination. The two laughed as they continued to do their work.

Hyewon looked at the things she needs to finish when her eyes caught her handkerchief. She noticed the crumbs on it, and remembered how messy Minju was earlier. She scrunched her nose and frowned. Definitely not clean.

 

 

“150 dollars, she’ll be crushing on her after a month.”

“200, and she’ll ask for help to confess.”

“Deal.”

Yena and Sakura fist bumped and looked at their friend looking busy checking her monitor who was still oddly holding her handkerchief.

Minju went out of her office since it was already lunch, and the muffin earlier would not be able to satisfy her hunger for much longer. She expected no employees would be there at that time, but was surprised to hear someone typing.

Walking closer, she saw Hyewon still there doing some work. She checked her watch to see that it 20 minutes have passed since lunch, but Hyewon was still doing her work.

“Ms. Kang,” She called the busy girl’s attention. “Why are you not having lunch yet?”

Surprised, Hyewon stood up and bowed quickly.

“I’m just trying to,” Hyewon trailed off, “Finish this report. I don’t want to cram it, since I don’t have much anything to do.”

Looking at the girl’s monitor, Minju noticed that the report she was doing was not due until 2 weeks. She looked at the girl who was still standing.

“You should have your lunch already.” Minju said, “This report is not due until next 2 weeks.”

“I don’t,” Hyewon sighed. “I don’t really want to.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter