Epilogue

ten nights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I recommend to listen to Ten Nights when you reach that part. :)

--

 

"Where is she?"
 
"She is still sleeping on the chair at the balcony. Let's just wait until she wakes up,"
 
Those voices barely entered my ears because of the glass that separated the bedroom and the balcony. I shivered as soon as I opened my puffy eyes, then I realized that I wasn't wearing a jacket to protect myself from the cold wind. 
 
My mouth automatically opened widely and released a good yawn. I stretched my back and arms when I stood up. 
 
The two persons who were talking earlier were gone. I changed into Momo's pullover before leaving the suite. 
 
The color of the sky didn't go unnoticed. It was nearly six in the evening. 
 
When I reached the lobby, I immediately went to the front desk and asked for Momo. They told me that she just got outside with her friend. I wondered who was the friend they were talking about. Was it Mina?
 
I reached the shore and spotted two people making a big bonfire. My feet absentmindedly dragged me to their spot without knowing who they were, but my mind told me that one of them was Momo. 
 
And I wasn't wrong. It was Momo. With Nayeon. 
 
The oldest stopped from arranging the woods and looked at me. She flashed a small half smile. I looked at her without showing any emotions. 
 
I was still looking at her when Momo spoke, "You okay?"
 
I wanted to laugh when she questioned me. Was she thinking straight? 
 
My head automatically turned to the direction of the sea. I crunched my nose as I thought what to say. 
 
And I chose not to say anything. I stayed on my spot. 
 
"Finish what you are doing. Don't mind me."
 
By that, I found myself walking away from them. I couldn't face Nayeon. Not tonight. The wound on my heart was still fresh. I couldn't accept the fact that they wanted to forget Dahyun. They were ing best of friends. It was all unbelievable. 
 
My feet took me to an isolated area of the island. It has a hut in the middle. My instincts told me that there's no one inside, besides, it's still part of Momo's property. 
 
I sat down on the wooden chair inside the hut. The wind was different than the main shore; it was salty yet cool. I was going through hell and no one could save me from drowning. I didn't even bother to scream for help even if I could. 
 
I wanted to feel this feeling alone. I didn't want them to feel how hard it was, even if they had been here before. 
 
I tasted the salty tears and then I realized that I was crying. I smiled widely when I found out how cry baby I was. When Dahyun and I were together, she never made me cry. 
 
She always wanted to let me know that she was okay and doing well. Dahyun always locked herself inside the bathroom when migraine attacked her. Those little cries and pleas every attacks were tore me apart. 
 
There was a time when I got home from work and saw her sitting on the one of the sides of the room. Her knees were in front of her face while her toes were curled. Her hands were pulling her hair as hard as she could. 
 
I could hear her heavy breathing and her body was trembling due to the unbearable pain beneath her skull. She was preventing herself from shouting when she couldn't find a way to ease the pain. Her eyes that I loved the most were squeezed tightly. 
 
I ran into her as fast as possible. I held her hand and kissed it to calm her down, but it was useless. When she saw me in front of her, her eyes widened and she unconsciously pushed me away from her. I saw the shock on her face when she did that. 
 
I knew that hurting me was not her intention. Even if she was having trouble telling me that she doesn't like to see me looking at her while she's having her attacks, I couldn't afford to turn around. Even if seeing the look on her face was hurting my entirety, I endured it all and stayed by her side. 
 
Hurting myself mentally and emotionally were part of loving Dahyun. I didn't hesitate to give my whole to her, and she did the same thing even if careless decisions were made first. 
 
I wiped my tears gently before heaving a sigh. I sprung up to my seat before going back to the suite. My tummy growled, that's why I needed to go back even if I didn't want to leave the hidden paradise of the island. 
 
There were many lights around the area and I was so thankful for that. I managed to get back before the night sky got darker. 
 
I halted midway when I saw a circle of people gathered around the big bonfire. My cellphone vibrated and I opened it. 
 
Momo was calling me. 
 
My hands were shaking uncontrollably and I was torn between answering the phone and rejecting it. I saw the worry on Momo's face as she waits for me to answer her call. The others were quiet and patiently waiting for me. 
 
I was staring at them when Mina caught my eyes. She dearly smiled at me before mouthing, "I missed you."
 
It put a small smile on my face. Mina and her sweet gestures. 
 
She motioned me to come to and join their circle and I hesitate before obliging. I walked to them with small steps; I didn't want to look like I was excited. 
 
All of them stopped what they were doing. All eyes on me. 
 
Momo stood up and smiled at me. 
 
"They wanted to see you, so I invited them here," said Momo. She walked to me and pushed me gently to her original spot. Mina was on my right, and Chaeyoung was on my left. They were all waiting for me to speak.
 
"What's up?" said I. I didn't want to mention anything regarding to what happened at the get together. I wanted to sound casual and to act cool. 
 
They were silent for a minute before Jihyo spoke, "We wanted to check on you that's why we're here." 
 
She gave me an apologetic smile, but I just looked at her before giving a small smile. 
 
"What am I? A patient? And all of you are my doctors and nurses?" said I, mockingly. I raised my left brow, waiting for a respond. I looked at each and every one of them. 
 
"We are worried for you when we found out that you're not in your house," said Jeongyeon. "So we contacted Momo right away."
 
"You're unbelievable," said I. "You told me and to all the people around here that it wasn't a big deal and we should forget about Dahyun. Now, you're checking my well-being as if you're concerned? News flash: I have never been okay since my girlfriend died."
 
After my sudden outburst, I looked at Nayeon. She was flinching while I was talking as if she's scared at me. There were so many things running in my head and that worsen the situation. What the is happening?
 
I furrowed my eyebrows when Nayeon's mouth was shaking as if she's going to cry. Mina hugged her immediately to calm her, but her girlfriend seemed really scared. 
 
I looked up and saw Momo communicating with Jihyo using their eyes. I was quietly observing them, and I wasn't surprised when Mina brought Nayeon to the suite. I smirked. 
 
Momo and Jihyo tagged along with the couple. There was a deafening silence surrounding us. Good thing that the sound of the waves was calming. 
 
Chaeyoung was playing with the sand around her feet. The younger bowed and wrote something on the sand's surface. Jeongyeon has her arms crossed while staring blankly at the ocean. 
 
For the second time, I didn't want to take back what I said. It was the truth, after all. It wasn't my fault that I slapped them with the reality. I was tired of playing games and guessing what's on their minds. I wanted to know why they were acting like this. 
 
They never left me out of the circle; I was always updated with the latest happenings in our group. How come I didn't know about this one? 
 
I sprung up from my seat and decided to follow them. I felt a cold hand around my arm when I tried to take a step. 
 
"Don't go near them if you're still mad." said Tzuyu.
 
I rolled my eyes at her. They didn't understand my point and it turned out that I was the suspect and they were the victims. 
 
"I am not mad, Tzuyu." said I. "I will just ask them things and try to not get into a bickering with them." 
 
She stopped me for the second time. 
 
"Listen to me just this time, Sana," Tzuyu pleaded. 
 
"No, I won't listen to any of you. Last time I did, it put me inside an endless tunnel without lights and I am still trying to find my way out." 
 
I removed her hand on my arm hastily. The grip made a bruise, but I was to furious to care. I ignored the greetings from the staffs and went straight to the elevator. 
 
I was getting impatient as the seconds turned into hours for me. It felt like I wasn't riding an elevator.
 
When the elevator door opened, I walked faster than usual. I was so desperate to get answers from them and I wouldn't let them hide things from me. Desperate times call for desperate measures, they say. 
 
The suite was really big, so it took me minutes to find them. I heard their faint voices as I walk to them from the kitchen.
 
"...wasn't good for her, Jihyo. Didn't you see how scared she was when Sana said those things?" The voice was from Momo. 
 
I positioned myself beside the half-opened door. I tried not to make a noise. 
 
"But this is absurd! We need to tell her the truth!" said the voice. It was from Jihyo. "I won't be able to continue this. Think about Sana, too." 
 
"Jihyo is right, Momo," said Mina. I could hear a faint cry at the background coming from Nayeon, I presumed. "We can't hide the truth forever."
 
"Besides, it can worsen Nayeon's condition. Sana's rage could cause another trauma to her. She acquired this from Dahyun, don't wait for the time when Sana is included." said Jihyo. 
 
I tried to guess what they were talking about, but my mind seemed very occupied by the previous events. What happened to Nayeon and what truth were they talking about? 
 
I heard a sigh from one of them. "Fine, but who will tell Sana that Nayeon tried to hang herself after she found out that Dahyun died?" 
 
There was a complete silence. I covered my mouth to suppress my sobs. I didn't know about it. My mind suddenly stopped functioning as I try to absorb that single information.

(play Ten Nights)
 
I stepped back, still covering my mouth to prevent myself from creating a necessary noise. No one dared to mention a name. 
 
I ran as fast as I could without letting them know my presence. I found myself inside the elevator and crying real hard. 
 
I didn't know. 
 
I tried to cover my mouth, once again, but failed when another sob came out of nowhere. 
 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter