2.2: The Mage

Of Demons & Blades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, we’re heading for district A next.” Seungwan announced as she looked at the list from her phone.

 


The five of them -Seungwan, Joohyun, Seulgi, Yerim and Saeron- were going through different districts of the city. When Seungwan mentioned that she would be going to different parts of the city to investigate on the missing citizens and demon slayers, Joohyun had decided to help out and Seulgi wanted to tag along. Yerim on the other hand took this as an opportunity to get a first-hand experience on how a Knight level -given Seungwan did not have her inauguration yet- demon slayer worked. Saeron did not have anything to do that day so she decided to tag along to spend time with Yerim.

 


“Alright, Wannie. Let’s move along everyone!” Joohyun nodded to Seungwan before telling them to move.

 


“What’s with Seulgi?” Saeron who had been observing the three of them -Seulgi, Joohyun, Seungwan- quietly asked Yerim.

 


“I don’t know, maybe Seulgi’s jealous.” Yerim responded as she laughed to herself. Served her right, the demon should not be happy with a human. Saeron on the contrary thought it was quite saddening. 

 


The whole time they were going through the city from district B to district C, Seulgi had been grumbling nonstop about how Joohyun had been doing nothing but giving her undivided attention to Seungwan. 

 


“Joo Joo! Your gayness disgusts me!” That was it, Seulgi had enough of Joohyun clinging onto Seungwan the whole day like the hopeless lesbian she was. So, she picked up a small stone and threw it at Joohyun. Of course, not too hard or Joohyun might end up getting send to the hospital.

 

 

“What the hell, Seulgi!” Joohyun looked back to see Seulgi sticking her tongue out at her. Seulgi knew throwing the stone would piss her off but hey, at least now Joohyun has her attention on Seulgi. 

 


While on the side, Saeron who was watching them thought they were cute. Seulgi who was jealous of Seungwan and wanted nothing but Joohyun’s attention was grinning widely just because she finally caught her attention. She was just too cute for her not to gush over.

 


‘I’m rooting for you, Seulgi! Fighting!’ She silently cheered before the thought of her actually supporting a demon caught up to her. 

 


‘What was I thinking? Kim Saeron! You gotta stop watching those romance fantasy dramas!’ She scolded herself before moving to walk beside Yerim. 

 


As they arrived at district A, the atmosphere felt different. It felt strange and gloomy of some sort but to Seulgi, it reeked of sins. 

 


“Gosh, this places reeks of sins!” Seulgi exclaimed as they looked around the area. Seungwan who heard what Seulgi had just said moved toward her.

 


“You think so too? Any ideas, Seulgi?” Having a person standing so close to you invading your personal space was not Seulgi’s cup of tea, especially when you are Son Seungwan. 

 


“Don't touch me!” Seulgi yelled as she backed off from Seungwan. “I’m a Demon Lord, Seungwan. Of course, I would know a place filled with sinners.” 

 


“So... any ideas then?” God damn it, god damn Seungwan and her pair of puppy eyes that were sparkling. Seulgi hated the fact that Joohyun liked Seungwan so much and even more so when Seungwan was just so pure. Seungwan had such a strong and pure soul that it was quite the disgusting sight for Seulgi.

 


“It isn’t just sins, there’s dark energy mixed in. I can’t really pinpoint where though.” Seulgi answered as she tried to avoid looking Seungwan in the eyes. 

 


“Dark energy? The church didn’t say anything about dark energy.” , now Seungwan was intrigued and she seemed to really be irking Seulgi as she inched closer and closer to Seulgi. 

 


“Son Seungwan! Please respect Seulgi’s personal space!” Thank god Joohyun decided to budge in between the both them or Seulgi might really just punch Seungwan.

 


Things had been going on like this for the past few days since Seungwan had announced to Seulgi that she would be monitoring her. Seulgi would be jealous of Seungwan who had Joohyun’s attention but Seungwan only cared about Seulgi as she occasionally invaded her personal space and wanted to get to know her more and more. Joohyun would try to separate Seungwan from Seulgi, and Yerim? Yerim would just be on the side laughing at the spectacle.

 


“Are you sure Joohyun unnie really likes Seungwan unnie?” Saeron who was baffled at the sight asked Yerim.

 


“I don’t know and I don’t care but they’re quite entertaining though.” Yerim answered but deep down, she kind of knew the answer to Saeron’s question and she did not like the answer. Sure, Joohyun liked to cling onto Seungwan but whenever someone even tried to do anything with Seulgi, Joohyun would suddenly act defensive and separate them from her. 

 


There was even an instance where they were asking around a neighbourhood about people who were missing and there was one lady who tried to get close and flirt with Seulgi. Joohyun who been clinging onto Seungwan immediately her defensive mode. Surprisingly, Seulgi who had wanted nothing but Joohyun’s attention did not realised Joohyun’s defensive tendencies at all. Well, all the more entertainment for Yerim then.

 


Does Joohyun really have feelings for Seungwan? Yerim does not know, she never said anything about it but if Yerim were to choose who she would support, it would be Seungwan just because she was human.

 


“Anyways, I think there has to be something to do with this.” Seulgi said after she had calmed down.

 


“What do you mean, Seulgi?” At this point, it seemed that only Seungwan and Seulgi had been serious about this whole thing.

 


“I’m talking about the sudden missing of so many people and this dark energy reeked district. A mage might be holding a ritual for all I know.” Seulgi explained to Seungwan as she pondered about the possibilities.

 


“A mage?” Joohyun asked, surprised by the sudden talk about mages.

 


She had known about mages -a bit at least- as Seungwan had told her about them before. 

 


Just like there were demon slayers who uphold the virtues of heaven and serve justice to demons, there were also mages who worship the demons for power and immortality -some might even turn into demons. Although most mages were hunted down and burned during the Mage Hunt after the first Holy War, there were still a few sects in present day that would abduct and use human lives as sacrifice for their rituals.

 


“Yup, the concentration of sins and dark energy is pretty convincing.”

 


“I say, we go for a mage hunt.” Yerim suggested as she clicked on the hammers of her revolvers.

 


“Let’s be patient everyone, nothing’s for sure right now.” Seungwan tried to calm them down befo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter