5.0: Beginning

Of Demons & Blades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I don’t wanna stay here by myself!” She yelled as she struggled to free herself from her mother’s firm hold on her. 

 


“Listen to me, Kang Seulgi!” Her mother yelled back at her as she shook her to make Seulgi listen to her. 

 


“No! I’m don’t want to! I can go out there and help you, Mom!” She argued, trying to stay with her mother. They had already taken her father and her brother. There was no way she was going to let her mother go too. 

 


“I’m doing this for your own good.” Her mother said as she fought back the tears in her eyes. She knew the both of them would not survive the demons. Whatever that had invaded their town wasn’t just some lowly demon, it was definitely a tier one or worse, a Demon Lord.

 


“But what about you, Mom? I can help you.” She was seventeen, not a ten years old, she could have at least been able to do something right? Right? 

 


“Sigh, there’s nothing you can do but stay here.” Her mother sigh, tired of arguing and trying to convince Seulgi to stay inside the small hideout she and her husband had made in case of an emergency like the one they were living through then. 

 


Whether Seulgi was ten or seventeen had nothing to do with the demons, she just was not a demon slayer. Not born to be one, not talented enough to be one and she couldn’t even see through their disguises. When Seulgi was young, the both of them -her husband and her- had thought of enlisting Seulgi into the church’s academy just like her brother who was quite the prodigy but Seulgi just did not have it in her. 

 


“Just listen to me alright, Seulgi?” She cupped Seulgi’s cheek with one hand as she spoke. 

 


“Sigh, fine. Promise me you'll come back?” Sighing, she conceded to her mother. Perhaps her mother was right, there was nothing she could do to help and she might even cause more trouble and burden her mother. 

 


“Of course I’ll come back. What do you take me for? I’m a rank S slayer, Seulgi.” Her mother smiled with confidence, was it to reassure Seulgi? Or was it to herself? Seulgi never got the chance to ask. 

 


“You sound like you’re very confident, Mom. You better come back then!” She reciprocated her mother’s smile as she replied, feeling a bit calmer than she was before then.

 


Her mother then gave her a kiss on the forehead before she picked up her white sword and made her way to get out of the hideout. 

 


“Seulgi, if I don’t come back... know that I love you alright?” She turned back to give her beloved daughter one look before she opened the door and stepped out. 

 


“This is Shin Seyeon, rank S. I’m requesting for back up in town A.” (I know, the town's name is basic but I can't come up with a better name so ermm yeah) She called in to her reporting device to request for reinforcements to fight the demonic invasion. 

 


But, reinforcements never came as she stood on her final breaths facing the Demon Lord of Wrath, blazing and burning brightly in all of his glorious bluish hell flames. 

 


“You’re a brave one.” He said as he stepped forth, breaking the ground with each heavy step of his. 

 


Seyeon did not reply him as she breathed heavily, her already tight grip on the hilt of her sword tightened even more. Her blade then glowed mixed hues of green, orange and purple. 

 


“If I’m dying today, I’m bringing you down with me.” She said before she charged to him with her glowing sword. 

 


“Then what about your daughter, Seyeon.” The Demon Lord spoke to disrupt her attention and she did, only for a second. 

 


Seyeon had hesitated for a second the moment the Demon Lord mentioned about her daughter but it was not the time for her to think about her daughter. The demon in front of her was much more important. 

 


She continued to rush toward him as the other demons around them swarmed her. Seeing as the numbers of demons were too much for her to handle by herself, she had no choice but to release the charged sword beam that was meant for the Demon Lord. 

 


So she spun herself and shot out the energy beam. The sword beam multiplied to cover a wider area of effect but some demons were smart, they dodge the sword beams nimbly and proceeded to make their way toward her. 

 


They thought they had avoided the sword beams but the sword beams suddenly blinked back to hit them and caused a large explosion. Seyeon jumped out of the explosion to attack the Demon Lord thinking he would be surprised by her attack but it was all for naught as he had expected her. 

 


He held out his left hand to grab her face and threw her making her slammed to the ground hard.

 


“Your daughter’s the last one here it seems.” He spoke as if to mock her. 

 


Her expression hardened when she heard his words, there was no way in hell she would let her daughter die in the hands of the demon. Her husband and son had already died in their fight to protect the people, she was not going to lose her daughter too. 

 


Tired was an understatement if you were to describe her as she had been fighting and killing demons nonstop for hours yet, she was not able to protect anyone. The town had completely been wiped out by the Demon Lord and his army of demons. If she could not protect the people then she had to at least be able to protect her only child left. 

 


“You’re quite strong, I’m sure Greed would love to add you into his arsenal.” The Demon Lord said as he picked up his longsword that was stuck to the ground, waving it around to accustom himself with it. 

 


The blade of his longsword lit up in bluish flames as he spoke with a smirk, “I’ll make sure to find your daughter later.” 

 


“Over my dead body.” She retorted as her blade glowed once again. 

 


“Why of course.” The smirk he gave her only fuelled her anger even more. 

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

 

“Mom!” Seulgi shouted, hoping her mother would be able to hear her.

 


It had been a whole night and the sun had al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter