4.1: Inferno

Of Demons & Blades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you even sure that it’s her?”


“Of course I’m sure, I’m the one who killed and kept her body remember?”

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

 

“Sooyoung, I need a favour.” Seulgi announced after she had popped a peanut into .

 


“What is it? A favour from me never comes free, Seulgi.” She smirked as she teased Seulgi. It had been awhile -a few centuries- since the both of them had seen each other so Sooyoung felt like teasing her. Only, what came next may not be pleasant. 

 


“Fine by me.” Seulgi said with a determined look which made Sooyoung knew she was serious about this. About whatever she was going to ask for. 

 


“Alright, Seul. Tell me what do you want.” She responded with equal seriousness in her tone, suddenly sitting up instead of leaning on the chair.

 


“I need to you look after Joohyun for me.”

 


“Look after her? Are you leaving or something?” Was Seulgi thinking of leaving Joohyun? 

 


“Only for a while,  I’m thinking of heading back there to think things through and find out what exactly is going on with Jiyong.” She confessed to Sooyoung about her plans. 

 


“Okay... what does this have anything to do with me protecting her?” To be honest, Sooyoung did not like what Seulgi was thinking. She had been waiting for this for five hundred years and now Seulgi's just going to up and leave?

 


“I fear the Lord of Pride may try to harm her as I wouldn’t be by her side.” 

 


“Alright, I’ll do my best then.” As much as she would like for Seulgi to stay, she knew there would be no chance for her to convince this Demon Lord. She was stubborn, just like how the other one was.

 


“If you’re thinking of going back then it’s going to take a while for us huh.” The time moves differently in the Inferno and things are never predictable. It was as if there was no measure of time for the Inferno, sometimes an hour spent in the Inferno could be a second spent on Earth yet sometimes a day in the Inferno is the equivalent of a month in the human world.

 


“Yup, that’s why I really need you keep a look out on her while I’m gone.” This was what really worried Seulgi, she was worried that while she was gone for who knows how long on Earth -even though it could really only be a few minutes in the Inferno- something might happen to Joohyun. 

 


“You’re the only person I trust, Sooyoung.” She continued after a few seconds paused. 

 


“I don’t know whether to be flattered by that or feel offended because I’m the only friend you have.” Sooyoung scoffed as she replied but, she was honestly touched. Seulgi had come such a long way, from being a lone wolf who never really trusted anyone five centuries ago to the person she was that night. 

 


‘Did Joohyun do something to her?’ She thought to herself as they continue their conversation. 

 


“You can always ask Seungwan though. I’m sure she’ll take good care of Joohyun for you.” Sooyoung figured she really liked teasing Seulgi.

 


“Seungwan?” Seulgi replied with a deadpanned look as she continued, “Don’t talk about her! Joohyun’s always Wannie here Wannie there, it gets tiring just hearing her say it.” 

 


Sooyoung laughed as she could tell it was clear that Seulgi did not like her suggestion at all and it was quite entertaining to see a pouting Seulgi fuming cutely. That was just how it was to her. To Sooyoung, Seulgi would always be that cute kid from five hundred years ago who she somehow met along the way in life.

 


“I was just joking okay?” She tried to calm herself down before she continued, “I’ll help you but I have one condition, Seulgi.”

 


“What condition?” Seulgi replied, suddenly feeling anxious by Sooyoung's words. Sooyoung had always been like this ever since back then, they would agree on something and all of a sudden Sooyoung would throw her a curveball. 

 


“You need to tell me why you’re doing so much for Joohyun.” She answered, feeling satisfied with her answer. Sooyoung had known the answer to her one and only condition but she wanted to hear it from Seulgi. Maybe it wouldn’t be now but, she was sure someday Seulgi would answer her. 

 


“I... I.. I don’t know, Sooyoung. It’s just like I said, I just want to be around her. I feel like I’m so attracted to her and it’s honestly driving me crazy.” She confessed to Sooyoung but Sooyoung did not respond to her, only siting beside her and silently looking at Seulgi encouraging her to continue.

 


“It felt so strange to me.” She continued as she confessed the confusion and conflict she had been having, “You know how much I despise and loathe humans. So why do I feel so attracted to her?” 

 


Having witness Seulgi feeling so frustrated and confused with herself pained Sooyoung but she had to refrain herself from the speaking the truth. After all, she had a contract on her.

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

 

“So, what brings you here O' Demon Lord of Wrath" Yerim spat out sarcastically to Seulgi who had all of a sudden appeared out of thin air in her shared hospital room with Saeron. 

 


“Yerim, can’t you just be a bit more kinder to her? She did save your life you know.” Saeron who had been at the side scolded as she could not stand Yerim being rude to Seulgi. 

 


Although she was a demon, Seulgi had been nothing but kind to them. She had not only protected them from danger but even go as far as saving Yerim from turning into a demon. 

 


“It’s okay, Saeron. I know Myemim doesn’t mean it that way  she’s just shy.” Seulgi teased Yerim, knowing Yerim would be cringed by her words. 

 


“Yah! I’m not shy at all and what even is Myemim!” 

 


“You don’t remember?” Seulgi covered , acting hurt before she continued, “It’s my special nickname for you.” 

 


Yerim’s deadpan expression with a “Are you ing kidding me?” was the response she got in return. 

 


“Alright alright, I’ll stop. I’m actually here to ask for something.” She said as she announced the reason she was at the hospital. 

 


“Well, what do you want Seulgi?” Saeron who been the more rational one between the two decided to ask for Yerim. 

 


“It’s just a small request, Yerim. I promised, nothing too troublesome.” 

 


“Speak before I change my mind, Seulgi.” Yerim answered and Seulgi took it as a cue to quickly say what she wanted to say. 

 


“Can you stay by Joohyun’s side?” Seulgi could see the look of confusion donned on their faces when she asked Yerim. 

 


“I’m sorry, what? I don’t quite get you.” Yerim asked in return. 

 


And so, Seulgi told them of her plans. She wanted to ask if Yerim could stay by Joohyun’s side to keep her company. She heard from Joohyun before then that Seungwan would be back to her busy schedules and that Yerim would probably move out after she was done with her field research. 

 


“You’re just gonna leave like this without any explanations to her?” Yerim asked after Seulgi had finish telling them about her plans. 

 


“She doesn’t need to know.” 

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s now or never, Seulgi.” She told herself as she stood in the middle of a wide open field located in a village in the outskirts of the city. An elderly lady was sitting under a tree not far from her, looking over the field. 

 


“Young lady, I advise you to step away from where you are!” She shouted to Seulgi, who looked over to her with a confused face. She walked over to the old lady and asked her why she should not stand there. 

 


“Are you not from around here?” The old lady asked to Seulgi and she shook her head in return. 

 


“In this village, we believe that the exact center of this field is a gateway to the Inferno.” The old lady answered to a surprised Seulgi. It seemed the people of this small village knew of the Inferno. Well, she did notice the weird markings around her when she stood in the middle of the field. All the markings had been centered around her. 

 


“Inferno? What’s that?” She was curious about how much this women knew so she acted as though she knew nothing about it. 

 


“The Inferno is basically hell but our people prefers calling it by the name, Inferno.” She patiently answered Seulgi and even gave her a brief introduction as to how the name came to that particular village. 

 


It was around a few decades ago when a paragon who was passing by the village that spread the culture and beliefs of the Mystical Guardians. The villagers had believed him as he brought them good fortune and harvest in the following years of his stay. During his years in the village, he had warned the people to avoid the particular spot in the middle of the wide open field Seulgi was currently at, reasoning it as a gate to the Inferno. 

 


Seulgi had a hunch about who that particular paragon was because there could only ever be one person who would travel around the these types of areas and spread these mystical beliefs. It was most probably the Black Warrior of The North. 

 

 

Aside from the Seven Gates of Inferno, there were different ways a person could enter the Inferno. There were a few locations or spots that would crack and open up the connection between the Inferno and the human world.

 


'Of course, it’s gotta be him.' Seulgi was pretty sure because if there really was a gateway to the Inferno then Kyungsoo would definitely show up and seal it. 

 


“Well, young lady. It was nice chatting with you but I have some important business to take care of.” Seulgi announced to the old lady giving her a megawatt smile. The old lady looked at her with a confused expression, wondering why Seulgi would call her a young lady. 

 


She stood up from where she sat and made her way to the particular spot again and immediately, the sky tu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter