4.0: Ceremony

Of Demons & Blades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Don’t get too ahead of yourself.”  

 

 

“What do you mean get too ahead? I'm definitely gonna be delighted when I see her reaction.”  

 

 

“Piss her off too much and you might face death, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”  

 

 

The other person only laughed off before he left. Even though he may not be the Lord of Pride, he definitely was one hell of a prideful demon. 

 

 

 

 

 

***** 

 

 

 

 

 

“Unnie! Duck!” Yerim shouted for Joohyun when she saw a chair flying her way. Fortunately, Joohyun had heard her and ducked just in time to avoid having a chair crashed into her.  

 

 

‘Just, what the is going on!’ Joohyun thought to herself as she looked around the once majestic and magnificent hall that had turned into chaos. Fear and confusion took over her as she stood in there, trying to process what had just happened before her eyes fixed on someone coming her way. 

 

 

 

 

 

A Day Ago... 

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe you’re about to graduate and actually become a demon slayer starting tomorrow.” Joohyun said dramatically, acting like she was trying to hold her tears as she teased Yerim. 

 

 

“Can you stop that!” Yerim responded as she gave Joohyun a deadpan look, disgusted and cringed by Joohyun’s dramatic actions while Seungwan who had been at the side watching the both of them, laughed. 

 

 

“Yerim, I’m proud of you.” Joohyun smiled proudly at Yerim after the laughter died down. Although the both of them may have only known each other for only a few months, Joohyun had really grown fond of Yerim.  

 

 

It was safe to say that the both of them have gone through so much together in this short amount of time spent together. When Yerim had turned into a demon, it was Joohyun and the rest who had saved her and when she was stuck in the hospital, Joohyun was also the one who would take care of her and Saeron.  

 

 

When Seulgi had gone missing, Yerim was the one who comforted and accompanied Joohyun during her sleepless nights as Seungwan had been far too busy to even stay at the apartment for a night. Yerim may not say it or want to admit it but Joohyun knew she cared about her.  

 

 

She knew Yerim could have moved out of the apartment to live with Saeron after they were discharged from the hospital since Yerim had already finished her report on her field research. Surprisingly, Yerim decided to stay at the apartment.

 

 

“I’ve come to like this apartment a lot.” She would reason but Joohyun knew that Yerim had stayed because she wanted to accompany her and did not want her to feel lonely. It was also the subtle things that Yerim would do that really touched her heart, like how she would try to distract Joohyun and keep her attention from her thoughts whenever Joohyun starts having them.  

 

 

“Thank you, unnie.” Yerim smiled in return as she gave herself a twirl, showing off the white graduation gown she was going to wear the next day. 

 

 

"Alright, better sleep early, Yerim. Wouldn't wanna wake up late for your blessing ceremony tommorow." Seungwan advised Yerim as she stood up from the couch she was sitting on.

 

 

“I’ll try to attend the blessing ceremony on time if I can finish up this mission fast.” Seungwan announced, she felt apologetic that she might miss Yerim's blessing ceremony as she was too busy with her schedule. Her inauguration ceremony was coming up as well so she had been too busy during the past weeks that she barely even had the time to spend with the rest of them. 

 

 

“It’s okay if you don’t make it, unnie.” Yerim smiled understandingly at Seungwan, “I still got Saeron and this old hag with me and there’s Sooyoung too!” she exclaimed as Joohyun shouted a “Yah!” along with a slap to Yerim’s forearm.  

 

 

Seungwan chuckled at their antics before she grabbed her jingum and bid them good night as she head out for her mission.  

 

 

“Well.” Joohyun paused before she continued, “Go sleep now, you have a big day tomorrow.”  

 

 

“Want me to sleep with you tonight, unnie?” Yerim asked, she knew Joohyun was starting to have those thoughts again.  

 

 

‘You miss her so much and yet you’re in denial, sigh.’ She could only sigh as she looked on at Joohyun who was getting ready for bed.  

 

 

“Hmm, okay. Let’s sleep together tonight.” Sharing the same bed together was not a first time thing for them as Yerim had done so since the past three months. Plus, Joohyun has a queen sized bed anyways. 

 

 

 

 

 

***** 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wow, this place has not changed one bit at all.” Sooyoung said as they entered the sanctuary's assembly hall where the blessing ceremony was going to be held. The last time she was there would be close to five years ago when she was attending her blessing ceremony to become a demon slayer.  

 

 

“There she is!” Joohyun exclaimed when she finally spotted Yerim from the sea of people. Sooyoung who had been eyeing the decoration and ornaments of the assembly hall was surprised by the sudden shout from Joohyun.  

 

 

Yerim had left the apartment earlier that morning as she had to get to the sanctuary early for the preparations so Joohyun and Sooyoung arrived much later than her as they were only there as spectators.

 

 

Joohyun and Sooyoung could see an excited Yerim in her white gown talking animatedly with Saeron who was equally excited for Yerim. They made their way their as they announced their presence to the two.  

 

 

“Unnie! You’re finally here!” Yerim exclaimed when she saw the two walking toward them.  

 

 

“You sure look excited don’t you.” Joohyun teased the overly excited Yerim.  

 

 

“Of course! I’m finally going to become a demon slayer!” She grinned as she replied to Joohyun.  

 

 

When the blessing ceremony was finally starting after half an hour of waiting, Sooyoung who had been sitting beside Joohyun who was sandwiched between her and Saeron, felt a strange presence.  

 

 

“Hyun, something doesn’t feel right.” She told her as she continued to looked around the large hall, trying to spot the abnormal in the crowded hall. Joohyun and Saeron who had heard her immediately turned their head to her. 

 

 

“What doesn’t feel right, Sooyoung?” Joohyun asked, befuddled by Sooyoung. 

 

 

“I’m not sure but it feels like something's outside, I’m going out to check it.” She announced as she stood up to leave the hall, “You two stay in here and see if there’s anything weird going on.”  

 

 

And so they did, they stayed in the hall with alertness as the whole ceremony went on.  

 

 

 

 

 

***** 

 

 

 

 

 

Yerim could feel it, the presence of the person who had been hounding her. She had excused herself to head to the toilet and that was when she felt someone following her. 

 

 

“What do you want?” She barked at the person, the same person who had stolen the Eye of Purity.  

 

 

“Nothing, just came to congratulate you on your blessing day.” The thief spoke, her voice sounded familiar to Yerim but she could not pinpoint exactly where she had heard it before. Truthfully, Yerim had almost been tempted by the thief had it not been for a certain someone in her head who had been trying to keep her from being tempted. 

 

 

“Do you mind getting the  outta here?” She had been kind enough to not aim her revolver at the woman. No, she wouldn’t do such a thing to ruin such a day. It was going to be a day filled with celebrations but thinking about it, wouldn’t killing a mage or demon be the most perfect way to celebrate her graduation from the academy? She pondered to herself as the woman walked closer to her. 

 

 

“My offer is still open for you, Yerim.” The thief said before she disappeared.  

 

 

When she returned back to the large assembly hall, she still felt the exact same presence of the woman. Shocked by the presence, she hastily looked around to see if the thief was here amongst all the people in the hall. Only, she did not see anything abnormal.  

 

 

The ceremony went on and when it finally came to the blessing session, Yerim had momentarily forgotten about her encounter with the thief as nervousness and excitement took over her. 

 

 

This was it, the moment she had been waiting for ever since she started attending the academy a year ago. Students of the academy were lining up one by on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter