episode four

같이 일몰을 볼래? (Would you watch the sunset with me?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Would you watch the sunset with me?” Eunbi stands up as she says, setting her gaze on the far horizon.

Yuna stands up as well. She is not sure which took her by surprise: the firmness of her tone, or the request itself.

“Are you sure? You would be home late. Last time this happened—” Yuna stops herself. 

The expression on Eunbi’s face hardens, as the memory still haunts her. Her fists clench as she wills herself to forget, the short breaths in her run, the dark road, the sound of footsteps behind her. She knows they won't be wiped away from her mind in an instant, perhaps even never, but she wants to try. It has been a few days since they met again after the incident; every day with Yuna by her side, she has been steadily getting over the fright of that night, coming to terms with the situation by being thankful that Yuna was there for her and has continued being here for her.

Eunbi knows as well, that beautiful sunsets are not meant to be linked to the ugly meaning of a haunting trauma; she wants to see those orange skies by the side of someone she loves, watch the limitless horizon that represents a love that knows no boundaries. 

Eunbi knows how her time with Yuna, however short, has so far been unparalleled and invaluable. Today, after taking a big step, Eunbi knows that Yuna’s presence in her life is a special one, and she knows it must be mutual.

The silence dismays Yuna, who frowns and dips her head. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.”

Eunbi shakes her head. “No, it’s okay,” she says even though it is not, partly because she hates that Yuna is putting the blame on herself, but more so because she believes things will be, for her days with Yuna has shown her. 

Slowly, Eunbi approaches Yuna with slow, careful steps, and puts her arms around Yuna’s waist. She rests her head on Yuna’s shoulder as she gives the older a tight snuggle. “I’m okay whenever I’m with you.”

Yuna’s heart thumps as she hears those words, alive as if it has never been before. A smile spreads on her lips as she wraps her arms around Eunbi.

Eunbi’s heart swells as a kind hand caresses her on the head. As if all her life has been pointing her towards this moment, Eunbi finds a home in Yuna’s arms; she finds that she belongs in Yuna’s arms. 

Yuna, too, learns that this is where she belongs.

“I’ll watch the sunset with you. Today, and many days ahead.”


 

Eunbi’s footsteps stop in the hallway when she sees the face that approaches her. 

“Hwang Eunbi!” the voice calls her, a little too brightly. 

“Unnie,” Eunbi smiles.

“You have some time?” Jung Eunbi puts an arm by her shoulder. 

Hwang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter