Chapter 2

Jennie's Baby
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Feeling nervous, Jennie wander her eyes around the huge living room of the Manoban's. She was there for the interview as a nanny. One of her friends mentioned that her Auntie's boss was looking for a nanny. She grabbed at the offer because of the unusual salary of one million won a month. It's too high actually. And she wonder if there is something different with the job she was applying for. But still, she have to try because the salary would be a big help on their expenses.

She let out a deep sighed. The destiny surely had it's own course. She had never imagined she will be poor in an instant.

They learned from one of their father's employee the reason why he had a heart attack.

'"W-What do you mean, Uncle Yang?" she ask the man who is a close friend of Kim Dongwan (her father) and also the head chef of their line of restaurants.

"Your father invested all of his money on the business his college friend presented on him, it was a currency exchange business in Middle East. The projections was good at first. Your father's friend really know how to do sales talk and your father fell for it."

"W-What happened?"

"It turned out that everything was a scam. You father only finds out when a month has passed and his friend hasn't called him still. When he called him, the man can't be reached with the contact number he gave your father."

Feeling weak, Jennie rests her head on her hands. "Oh, my God! H-How much did he lost, Uncle?"

"I.... I really don't know, Jennie. All I remember is that your Daddy issued cheques twice for that person."

That made her groan again.

"W-Why didn't you try to stop him, Uncle?"

"I did. I was already skeptical the first time that man presented it. And I told Dongwan that I don't trust his friend. But he assured me that his friend was a good man and wouldn't betray him." Even Mr. Yang  sigh sadly. "There is one more thing that you don't know, Jennie."

Another bad news? When will the problems would end really? So the saying 'when it rains, it pours' was true.

"The business is not really doing good. Before your Daddy had an attack he already sold the two branch of your restaurants in Gwangju. The only remaining is the one from Daegu. But even that has a high probability to close. That maybe is the reason why Dongwan thought of investing on his friend's business."

"B-But h-how? W-Why?" she can't understand why their restaurant business is facing bankruptcy.

"We lost to our competitors. There are so many new and much better restaurants these days."

Jennie could only manage to bury her face on her hands. She felt so weak with all these revelations.

"Can we do anything to prevent the branch in Daegu from closing?"

"Maybe there is. But I doubt if it can help. It's been almost a year since that restaurant started having negative income. Personally, I think it's not feasible anymore to keep it operational." Mr. Yang paused. She felt him gave her shoulder a light squeeze. "I'm really sorry, Jennie. I'm sorry if I can't be of any more help to your family."

She nodded her head as she understand. Come to think of it, it's also a huge loss in his part if they would really end up closing down. But he stayed, nevertheless. With that she was really so grateful towards him.

"You've done more than enough, Uncle Yang. And I want to thank you for that. I just want to ask one more question."

"What is it, Jennie?"

"Does my mom know?"

He shook his head. "I think she has no idea about it. You know your daddy. If it's possible, he wouldn't want you two to know and worry."

If that's the case then her hunch is right. She and her mom were both clueless.

"Ahyu. Eotteohke, Appa!" She couldn't help but to broke in tears. She wanted to get mad at him for keeping it a secret but also felt pity towards him. He shouldn't have kept all the problems to himself. They were supposed to be a family and they should help each other whatever hardships came to their way. But her father sheltered them from anything bad. He took responsibility for everything. It's how much he loves his family.'

Jennie wiped the tears that ran down her cheeks. It still hurt so much to  find out that there was nothing left for her father but the house he manage to built, and a small amount on the bank that they used to pay for his hospital bills.

That was one of the things which made her sad. Eventhough her father recovered from the heart attack, the other side of his body got paralyzed and also the way he speak got affected. It's so hard to believe that the use to be active and jolly person like her father, is now confined to the wheelchair and like a vegetable.

"Miss Jennie Kim?"

She looked up to the woman walking down the stairs who was staring at her. She stood up and bowed as a sign of respect.

"Y-Yeh. That's me." she answered smartly. If she want to get this job, she has to forget her problem for the meantime.

The older woman walked regally. She was still slim and quite attractive for her age. And there was an obvious hint of seriousness and being strict written on her face.

"Sit down, Miss Kim."

She bowed again and sat down. The older woman sat on a single seater sofa which was infront of her.

"So, you're applying for the job?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

She grab the folder on the center table and flip open the pages. While she was reading her resumé Jennie felt the loud beating of her heart cause of nervousness. She also kept on praying. She needed this job. Now she has the responsibility of being the breadwinner in their family.

"Why do you think I should hire you to be the nanny of my granddaughter?"

"W-Well..." Jennie took a deep breath before speaking. "I have a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education, SEN (Special Educational Needs), to be specific. I also took some special child care training courses in Kansas..."

"I know all about your credentials, Miss Kim. I read it all on your resumé. And to be honest, your educational attainments are pretty impressive. And I can see very wel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter