finished

of books and sleepless nights

 

make-out sessions on couches, sleazy boys in the kitchen, and red solo cups filled with a concoction made of who-knows-what was something for joy. but irene, no matter how many college parties it takes, she refuses to spare much time on people other than her friends - and the girl in the library. 

 

today she found herself in the campus’s library- specifically the one across the student store and the cafe. two styrofoam cups steam on the table as she flips the next page of crime and punishment. last week it was war and peace - she found it thrilling in its own pace. however there was a pace that she never gets tired of - a beat of erratic butterflies erupting from her chest. 

 

today she sits and watches. no book today because they had agreed on just a study date, or at least that’s what she hoped for as she typed away mindlessly in the corner of the old part of the library. it was more rustic compared to the newer ends of the library, but it was intentional. irene preferred the quieter corner with a girl who was out of her league.

 

and on that same day they decide to abandon all studies. it was okay - which it only meant more shameless staring and sheepish smiles on her end. but on the other, with a girl whose hair sat just above her shoulders and a cardigan neatly blanketing her shoulders, sipping and blowing simultaneously her brew of coffee.

 

“i just so - do you ever party?” 

 

“you make me sound boring. yeah, i just like to do it on weekends. preferably no alcohol.”

 

“yeah. yeah, i get that. i think you should come with me one day,” irene pauses for a reaction, but only gets a questioning smile, “with my friends of course. yeah. yeri and joy. the two who were here the other day. those friends. yeah..”

 

“are you sure?” wendy gets up, scoots her chair back and heads towards the bookcase on the other wall. of course, irene scrambles up, “i don’t want to bother you three.”

 

“what? why would it be a bother? no. i mean - you’d really make my night. i haven’t really seen you anywhere else but the library, which i’m totally okay with but i like seeing you a lot. it’s up to you, no pressure, but i really, really want to see you. i’m not exaggerating it. no booze, drugs - i don’t know. i don’t care. please?”

 

the blonde stops at a specific shelf and runs her finger against the spines of the books, “if you insist,” she huffs out, “but do you want to start on a new book?”

 

“is that a question? yeah! yeah. yeah of course. um.. how about tonight?”

 

“tonight? don’t you think that’s a little bit risky? considering the fact that you have a psych paper due tonight?”

 

oh. caught in deer lights, irene laughs a little too hard, an unnatural snort and frantic hands flying around, “no no! i finished it earlier. don’t worry. it was done eons ago! ha.” 

 

wendy shrugs, her lips curving as she watches irene’s color slip away from her face in the corner of her eye. her fingers land on a book which reads “the notebook.” she grabs two and hugs them to her chest.

 

“that’s great. i picked us a love story. i think you mentioned watching the movie? i think the book is just as good. oh to be in a cheesy romance... how do you feel about it?”

 

“cheesy romance? is that what you think we’re capable of?”

 

“what?”

 

“nothing.”

 

“the book, i mean - do you not want to read it? i don’t know, i thought maybe you’d be interested.”

 

“i’m interested in books. and you. but no, i have no problem with it. i hope it’s just as good as the movie, then.”

 

wendy her head, “in me?”

 

“i don’t know. you look cute today.”

 

wendy looks down with a flustered smile  and remembers the other little comments from irene as she does so, “oh. thank you. i guess so, i tried kind of hard today.”

 

“why?

 

“i like your compliments. i feel prettier when i hear it from you.”

 

and at that moment, with books and deadlines out of question, irene pins one hand beside the blonde’s head, backing her up against a shelf too weak it can barely hold itself.

 

today in an abandoned corner of the campus’s, irene freezes as her face is eye to eye with her crush. her ears are pounding blood incessantly and with each breath she tries to block out the noise as she glances down at wendy’s lips. eyes half-lidded, she leans in, feeling the ghost of wendy’s face -

 

but with a simple shove and a maneuver in the hands, irene stands shell-shocked as wendy’s lips sit on the corner of her lips with her back against the very same shelf she swore wendy was before. she feels the god sent lips pull away but irene refuses to open her eyes from the tight squeeze until seconds later.

 

she lets a sigh shake her frame as she sees wendy squatting as she scoops the two fallen books back into her arms, “nice try.”