[5] - Little Things You Do

Keep You Close 2 || JENSOO

 Chapter 5

 

 

 

 

 

 Gradually her eyes open to receive the morning light, her face wrinkle a little as a result of the sudden light and with several blinks, her eyes acclimate at last and yet the vision remains unclear and therefore she keeps her eyelids partially open.  With her fingers she wipes her eyes from the sleep dust before she stretches her eyebrows and blinks again to awaken herself and looks at the ceiling and stare at it for several minutes aimlessly.

 

 

 she can see from outside the window that it's still too early and what confirms it, is the overwhelming calm throughout the room and the apartment.

 

 She turns her head to the side, followed by her body, to lie on her right side, looking at her other partner on the other bed in the room.

 

 Only half of her face is showing;  Her crown, forehead, eyebrows, her closed eyes and part of her nose.  The rest was buried behind the teddy bear, which she held tightly, other than that she was all wrapped up inside the blanket with a comfy mess.

 

 If someone enters the room and sees the arrangement of the room, they will see that Jennie's side is more messy than Jisoo's, even while she is occupying it she's keen to keep it tidy and plus she doesn't move much in her sleep.

 

 Jennie on the other hand... No comment.

 

 Jisoo explains this because of Jennie's love to sleep and to sleep comfortably.. very comfortably, any position that makes her sleep faster, she will sleep in it and doesn't care about the bed messiness or arrangement.

 

 It's not like this pretty characteristic annoys Jisoo, on the contrary, she finds it very adorable and somewhat matches Jennie's personality.

 

 This made a weak smile depicting the features of Jisoo looking at her and making her think about staying that way until she wakes up. Jennie's just so cute while she's asleep and so she just wants to sit and watch her.

 

 Well.. she'd have done that if it wasn't for the urgent need to go to the bathroom and now.

 

 

 .  .  . . . . . . . 

 

 

 After finishing her morning hygiene and going out to the chest of the apartment, she stands in the middle of it feeling boring and looking around, stretching her body with her arms raised high and yawning.  Today is Friday, meaning that - except for going to the dance studio - there is no work, that is, a full day of resting (minus the number of hours she gonna spend while practicing, of course).

 

 

With the calmness of the place and the dim lighting of the apartment, which is overshadowed by the natural light coming from outside, the only thing that comes to mind is a cup of hot chocolate, only the idea of ​​it makes the warmth overwhelms her body and makes her muscles relax.

 

 She puts water in the electric kettle and sits on one of the chairs attached to the table, waiting for the water to heat up. She stretches her arms on the table and restes her head on one of them, thinking about random things, most of which doesn't really know what they are;  Some are about work, some are about the party, some are about what will she do today or tomorrow or after tomorrow.. the girls.. What will she do about them?  Their stay with her, for how long?  Their future, what can she offer them?

 

 Their relationship, what is it exactly?  What do they mean to her?  What does she mean to them?  Does she really mean anything to them?

 

No..

 

 No, it is not correct to think this way, she reminds herself, and she doesn't know why it occurred to her in the first place!

 

Jisoo shakes her head as if trying to throw out these unnecessary thoughts and gets up to check on the water, it got heated and the kettle was turned off automatically.

 

 She takes out her favorite mug, pulls out a bag of chocolate powder, empties it into the mug with a little sugar and pours hot water over it, mixing it well with the spoon.

 

She pulls the oversized sweater sleeves she's wearing with her hands until they cover her palms and holds the mug afterward, takes a sip and closes her eyes to enjoy the taste of the chocolate, letting accustom to the taste before she takes another sip.

 

 Feeling a little bit tingly from the warmth spreading inside her body, She looks through the glass door that separates the interior of the apartment from the balcony and decides that a little bit of cool air will be useful to her. Getting up and moving away from the table, she heads towards the glass door, and as soon as she opens it, the cold breeze hits her skin, making her shiver slightly with delight.

 

She walks a few steps further into the balcony and stands there, sometimes looking at the sky and sometimes looking down on the city.

 

'beautiful.'

 

 After several minutes of standing inside the balcony, she decides to go back inside and go to her room. The mug is still in her hand and its content is almost halved.

 

 When she enters the room she finds Jennie still asleep, as expected, but this time she is lying on her other side and the teddy bear is still in her arms and the scattering of her bed have worsened more.

 

Jisoo smiles at the sight and goes around Jennie's bed until she is facing her, drinks a little from the mug and puts it on the nightstand beside the bed. Carefully, she sits on the floor with her right arm resting on the empty space on the edge of Jennie's bed without touching her.

 

 She just sits and stares at sleeping Jennie, not knowing why she's doing this..it's just.. like something comfortable for the eye.. like an art painting had been put to be contemplated, to be admired.. to be appreciated, something like this. Something so relaxing, even more relaxing than a cup of a hot chocolate.

 

Another minute passes when she comes up with a great idea.. great for her, as for Jennie?  She will find out this soon..

 

Firstly, she moves the covers away from her down to her abdomen, leading some grumbling sounds from Jennie to come out after her body missed the warmth of the covers and so she tightens her arm around the teddy more, whose turn has come.

 

 Jisoo grabs the foot of the teddy bear and tries to pull it down with great caution to reveal Jennie's face but she finds it difficult because apparently; Jennie doesn't intend to let go of it or even loosen her grip on it.

 

 How much exactly does she like this teddy?

 

 Jisoo wonders as she intends to add some force to her grip until she finally manages to pull it down a little and now she can see Jennie's face, and there's an annoyed expression printed on it.

 

She starts laughing silently when she sees it and tries not to make a sound. She can't believe this! that -resting face is glued to Jennie's face even when she sleeps!

 

 One hand on her stomach and the other hand on tries to silence her laughter, but fails whenever she looks at Jennie's expression.

 

 Several attempts pass to pull herself together and stop laughing before she sits up on her knees and shifts towards Jennie in preparation for her next move, facing her. Slowly she stretches her hand out toward Jennie's face, only lifting her index finger, quickly and lightly she pokes her cheek. Seeing no reaction from her, she does it again, but on the other cheek. Also no reaction.

 

 She pokes her in her nose twice, and this time Jennie's face wrinkles and moves her face slightly away.

 

 Jisoo changes her tactic of her prank, and instead of poking her, she decides to create a tickling effect by brushing her fingers on her face to make her feel as if something is walking on her face.

 

 In the first attempt, Jennie raises her hand and rubs her face annoyingly, and when she feels that there is nothing she returns her hand to its place and returns to being static, but of course this does not stop Jisoo.

 

 She tickles her face again and this time Jennie groans impatiently as she wipes her face more forcefully, and in every time, Jisoo tries to hold her laugh in.

 

 And as much as this was entertaining for her, she starts feeling guilty and decides to stop. To stop teasing her with touch effects, she means. Jisoo was not satisfied with her joking with Jennie yet.

 

 

 "Jennie..." Jisoo whispers closely trying to wake her up.

 

 When she doesn't hear a response, she calls her again,  nudging her shoulder.

 

 

 - "Hmm?"  It is all she get from her.

 

 

 "Jennie.. do you hear me? Jennie!"  Jisoo calls loud enough for Jennie to hear until she sees Jennie's eyelid move a little, looking like she's trying to open them.

 

 

 - "Jisoo?" Jennie asks in a low sleepy voice. "What is there? What time now?"

 

 Jisoo looks at the clock on the nightstand and answers simply, "It's half past five in the morning."

 

 - "So early," Jennie says, burying her face in the pillow and relaxing her body on the bed. Wanting to go back to sleep.

 

 

 "Jennie.. Jennie!"  Jisoo calls again with a baby tone.

 

 

 -"What?"

 

 "I'm hungry.." When she only gets a humming as a response, she follows, "Make me breakfast."

 

 Another silence and then:

 

 - "It's still too early for breakfast."

 

 "I know!" Jisoo groans, "but I have to go to work now and I'm hungry too.." she makes a sad expression, even though Jennie can't see her. 

 

"Would you like me to go to work without breakfast?"

 

She adds her last sentence with a sad tone and pouts.

 

 Moment and Jennie opens her eyes, staring into the void, gathering her energy she sits up quickly.

 

 "When are you going?" Jennie asks as she ruffles her hair and massages her face to wake herself.

 

 - "Hmm.. in about fifteen minutes." Jisoo says, with her face tied with a smile of amusement.

 

 "Okay.. wait here, I'll make a quick breakfast."   Jennie gets up quickly after a little wrestling with the bed sheets which she misses their warmth straight away.

 

 She exits the room with an hurried steps, followed by Jisoo, who watches her move in a state of half woke, one eye open, the other partially closed. She searches in the refrigerator, takes out some ingredients, and then goes to the kitchen and Jisoo follows her too.

 

 Jennie puts the ingredients on the kitchen counter and then looks around as if looking for something, looks in the drawers; one by one, until she find the pan and takes it out.

 

 Jisoo was watching her silently, very entertained as she waits for how long it would take for Jennie to realize.

 

 Jennie was constantly in the kitchen moving from one place to another as she continues to massage her head and brush her hair back until she stops suddenly. Standing with her back facing Jisoo, she stays still for a while, and then turns slowly and meets Jisoo, looking at her with a questioning eyes.

 

 "Why are you still in your pajamas?"  Jennie asks her squinting her eyes suspiciously.

 

 - "Bingoo!"  Jisoo exclaims enthusiastically, wearing an amazed expression.

 

At first, Jennie doesn't understand why Jisoo told her a word that indicates her success in solving a puzzle, and after a little thinking Jennie realizes that today is Friday. which means it's Jisoo's off day.. which means that she was pranking her from the beginning.

 

 "Jisoo!" Jennie whines cutely, shaking her body in an uproar and hitting the ground with her feet annoyedly, while Jisoo was just laughing, "Aah..what do I do with you? I can't believe you!" 

 

 - "sorry," Jisoo lets out through the laughs before she stops gradually, still smiling.

 

Jennie pauses and glares at Jisoo in a faux anger, then she ruffles her hair with a great frustration. she doesn't know what to do, she is mad but it's Jisoo, she can't be mad at her. But she is mad! and she doesn't know what is the solution to these contradictory feelings.

 

 "Jisoo.. look." Jennie starts off with a firm, calm tone, "You are dear to me and all that, but my sleep is off limits. next time it won't go well."

 

 Jennie lies. She can't do anything, but she feels she has to put on some angry face so that Jisoo won't think about doing it again. Hopefully.

 

Jisoo on the other hand, after the "You are dear to me", she no longer hears anything, or rather, her mind made this phrase reach her ears in a high quality sound, while the rest is as though it's a low noise in the background. And Apparently, Jennie didn't realize what she had just said, because she doesn't talk much often about her feelings and she's not the expressive type.

 

Sighing inwardly, Jennie walks back to her room and passes by Jisoo, pouting, she enters the room and sits on her bed in the middle crossed-legged with her arms crossed near her chest, all while wearing an annoyed expression and looking ahead.

 

 After Jisoo follows her to the room and watch her like that, she decides to take her playful acts a bit higher.

 

 "What are you going to do? If I did it again, what will you do?"  She challenges in a playful semi-serious tone.

 

 Jennie doesn't answer her, and just keeps staring at the void.

 

Jisoo saunters to the bed and sits at the edge of the bed facing her. She tries to block Jennie's line of sight, but Jennie turns her head every time Jisoo does.

 

 "Ha? What are you going to do?" She repeats and pokes Jennie at her side, making Jennie wince a little.

 

 "Stop."

 

Jisoo pokes her on the other side.

 

 "Jisoo, stop it."

 

 -"what are you going to do?"  She says, turning her pokes into tickles, causing Jennie to try to keep her hands on where Jisoo has tickled her as a shield to protect the place and Jisoo goes and tickle her elsewhere.

 

Jisoo's tickles increase and Jennie's upset expression starts to disappear, replaced by a faint smile, which motivates Jisoo to double her efforts and goes up on the bed and sits on her knees to control Jennie's attempts to block her and manages to tickle her until she ends up sitting on her stomach, making Jennie's faint smile grow into waves of laughing heartly as her eyes become watery.

 

And Jisoo doesn't intend to stop until she gives up.

 

 "I won't do anything! Okay? I won't do anything! Stop!" Jennie exclaims laughing helplessly, announcing her surrender at last.

 

As her laughter downs gradually and she calms down, her attention is back to Jisoo, whose hands are now resting on the mattress on both sides of Jennie's head and is looking at her affectionately.  When their eyes meet, Jisoo smiles and lowers her head slightly.

 

 "Have you had your dose of fun?" Jennie asks sarcastically. Her chest raises up and falls as she steadies her breathing.

 

 - "Yes..a lot.", Jisoo quips with a satisfied tone.

 

 "Good.. can I go back to sleep now? I mean, is it safe to sleep now?"

 

 - "Hmm.."Jisoo drags the last letter as if she is thinking while lifting her right hand and running her fingers over Jennie's hair to remove some of the brown locks that fell on her face, "Not yet.."

 

 Jennie makes an exhausted expression causing Jisoo to laugh softly.

 

 The silence between them comes back and Jisoo goes back to stare at her, her gaze changes from her eyes to . She brings her face closer and for a moment there, Jennie thought she will-

 

 Jisoo kisses her cheek a short and quick kiss and lies beside her; her head resting on Jennie's chest on her right side and her arm thrown over Jennie's belly embracing her.

 

 No.  it's not what she thought.

 

 Jennie exhales a sharp soft breath she didn't know she was holding, hoping that Jisoo won't feel the fast beating of her heart.

 

 "You can go back to sleep now, dear Jen."  Jisoo says, whispering her last phrase, as she closes her eyes, intending to sleep too.

 

 As if Jennie can sleep now!

 

 This's the first time that Jisoo has kissed her- on her cheek - and she doesn't know what she feels about it, she doesn't know what she feels about this whole morning;  It was messy from the start, hastily and nerve wracking, didn't get a happy sleep and woke up early and then there is this..

 

Few minutes pass before Jennie raises her head a little so that she can look at Jisoo and finds her asleep, her breath is steady, looking so peaceful.. so pretty. 

 

 With all that happened, she haven't noticed this yet but Jisoo looks so pretty even in the morning with bare face, her messy hair and her short, adorable strands of hair popping out from her head.

 

 With her other free hand - her right arm trapped under the weight of Jisoo - she runs her fingers lightly and with great caution on Jisoo's jawline, almost touching her.

 

 "You can wake me up every morning, any time, and I won't complain again."

 

 She whispers to her and prints a light kiss on her crown.  She puts her head back on the pillow and tilts it slightly on Jisoo's so that her nose touches her hair and inhales deeply as if the oxygen exists only in that spot.

 

 Smiling contentedly, she tries to get back to sleep while she repeats in her mind her best morning so far.

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 "Mi Hee! Who should I kill for this surprise visit?"

 

Eun Ji greets with a false eagerness, after allowing Chang Mi Hee to enter her office (inside the main branch of KS holdings).

 

 - "Whoever hears you will think you are serious." Mi Hee replies as she takes a seat on the side of the office.

 

 "I am serious," she quips indifferently and takes a sip of her coffee afterward.

 

 She was sitting on her desk chair, holding a cup of coffee with one hand and the other hand looking at some report.

 

 Mi Hee stares at her a little blankly, then turnes rolls her eyes and tracks,

 "Anyways, I was visiting Sehun and then I knew you were still here, so I thought I should come and say hi."

 

 - "Just cut to the chase."

 

 Me Hee chuckles sheepishly with discomfort for her exposed lie.

 

 "Well.. about your cooperation with Wang. Are you sure Jisoo is the best choice for this?"

 

 -"What is the problem with that?"

 

 "Mmm, nothing. it's just.. it's Jisoo if you know what I mean." She finishes and makes a disdainful expression.

 

"I was surprised for choosing her while there is a whole Taeyoung with better qualifications," she adds in disbelief with a raised eyebrows, " and also.. the Wang family have a daughter of the same age as him."

 

 Eun Ji nods affirmatively and explains,

 

 "I cannot choose an incompetent person for such a big project," she says earnestly as she looks at Mai Hee.

 

 - "Right? That was what I meant-"  She replies with a proud smile.

 

 "I was talking about your son."

 

 She deadpans coldly, without taking her focus away from the report with another sip of coffee, and Mi Hee's smile disappears immediately as her face becomes pale.

 

 - "Huh? Excuse me, but it seems you don't know Taeyoung well.  he's a good businessman, you have to give him the opportunity to prove it to you."

 

 "Look, Mi Hee,  I love Taeyoung. He is my nephew in the end, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a spoiled fool."

 

 Mai Hee rolls her eyes and exhales a breath with a clear discomfort.

 

 "And how do you know? Let him try! Also, can you stop insulting him?"

 

 - "I don't want someone who gives me potential success results." Eun Ji states impatiently and put her cup on the desk and faces Mi Hee, " I want someone I know will bring the contract signed from the first meeting with the other party, and with extra privileges as well, and that person is Jisoo."

 

 

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 

 "Drinks are on the counter!" Jisoo calls out from inside the kitchen, loud enough to reach Jennie's ears.

 

 -"Okay!!"  Jennie replies matching her volume, which was standing at the dining area, setting the table for dinner.

 

 The whole day was calm and went smoothly; between breakfast and lunch periods that were not empty from the exchanged smiles and the stolen looks between Jisoo and Jennie, it was an ideal day even while in the dance studio, no problems happened there.  Jennie also discovered that Jisoo is actually a very lazy person on vacation;  She was either lying down or playing games on her phone and she barely persuaded her to get out and walk around and told her to buy some things too.

 

 Jisoo returns from the kitchen drying her hands with the kitchen towel after she has washed them and looks around questioningly.

 

 "Where are Lisa and Chaeyoung?"

 

 - "They decided to go out a bit and wander around the area until it is dinner time," Jennie responds, placing the dishes.

 

 "How long have they been out?"

 

 Jennie stops and looks at the clock on the wall in front of her and replies:

 "About half an hour ago, they must be returning at any moment."

 

 Jisoo slowly nods and then follows,

 "do you need help? "

 

 - "Oh, no, I'm done. There is only the soup left, which is probably finished now."  Jennie says as she starts walking towards the kitchen when Jisoo stops her and tells her that she will bring it. 

 

 As Jisoo went to the kitchen, the doorbell rings just as Jennie had expected. They had already come.

 

 "I'm going to open it! It must be them." Jennie announce to let Jisoo know while she is going to open the door.

 

 "I hope you both enjoyed your time-" Jennie pauses when she opens the door to discover, contrary to her expectations, that whoever is behind the door is neither Lisa nor Chaeyoung.

 

 He is an adult man with sharp yet soft features, looks like he is in his late 40's or mid 50's. Wearing a black formal suit with a long coat reaching the top of the knee and around his neck, a crimson scarf that has been left unwrapped.  His hair black with some white strands that permeate it.

 

 Jennie stands still, dumbfounded, not knowing what to do. The man's expressions also reflect Jennie's , except that he looks at her with great confusion, and they both stand there silently until the man decides to break it.

 

 "Um.. excuse me? Isn't this Kim Jisoo's apartment?"

 

 "Jennie?" Jisoo's voice calls out from inside the apartment and it seems that the man recognizes it because his facial expressions softened when he heard it. They can hear the steps of feet approaching them. It's Jisoo coming, looking questionably at Jennie who's standing shocked at the door. 

 

 "Didn't they come? Who is there?"

 Jisoo asks when her eyes lay at the man and she stops in her tracks, looking at him surprised, whose expressions have completely changed into expressions of delight once his eyes fall on her.

 

 "Dad?!"

 

 

 

 .  .  .  .

 

 

 

 "So, you are  Jennie." Sehun says, more to himself, looking at Jennie after they took their seats in the sitting area and finished clarifying the previous misunderstanding at the door, as if trying to establish this new information in his mind.

 

 It was a shock to both of them and a somewhat unexpected encounter to Jisoo as well. Not as if she was not expecting him to come back, but she was not expecting him to come to her apartment. She was planning to go and meet him in the company, but he told her that he wanted to surprise her.

 

 Well, he clearly did surprise her.

 

 -"Yes, Sehun-nim."  Jennie responds politely with a shy smile and bows slightly to him.

 

 "Oh, no need for honorifics, just call me dad." 

 

 "Dad!" Jisoo cuts in, disapproving.

 

 - "What? You said she is your friend, so she is counted as my daughter too." Sehun justifies amusedly, directing his gaze at Jennie and smiles at her, who gets more shy and bows to him slightly again as an expression of gratitude.

 

 "She's already embarrassed! Can you tone it down a little bit?"  Jisoo groans helplessly. He's just too friendly to his own good sometimes.

 

 "Ah..it's okay." Jennie assures Jisoo then turns to Sehun and follows, "Thank you, da- ajusshi." She says sheepishly and looks down.

 

He lets out a soft laugh for Jennie's try to do what he asked for and failing to do so. Jennie doesn't miss that he and Jisoo have the same bright laugh. now she knows from who she inherited it.

 

 "So Jisoo, when were you intending on telling me about her?" He digresses seriously turning to Jisoo. "I mean, I never saw her next to you and you didn't mention anything about her, no offense." He says his last phrase while glancing at Jennie, who smiles at him and shakes her head assuring.

 

 - "Well.. that because I got to know her when I went to Jeju Island. I was going to introduce her to you at a later time.."

 

 "Wait. You are now telling me that you two got to know each other in Jeju? that is, more than a month ago!"

 

Sehun was speaking and Jisoo nodding nonchalantly, she doesn't seem to be nervous. Jennie on the other hand, became really stunned at the question looking bewildered and doesn't know why Jisoo is so calm, talking about their first met, or rather, her breaking in the mansion, so simply. she seems as if she has nothing to hide.

 

 "And you became friends, and even brought her with you to Seoul?  Woah.. in just this short period of time?" He says amazed.

 

 - "Ugh! Dad, Come on! I will tell you later on all the details,  You're making the girl nervous." 

 

Here's the special thing about Kim Sehun;  He is a curious social figure who loves to talk, tell details and retrieve situations, a lot. And if Jisoo lets him talk, it won’t end. something that happens often in their family meetings.

 

But what Jisoo doesn’t know is, for this one, it’s different.

 

He never saw Jisoo with someone she considered a friend, always by herself, always shutting herself away from the outside world. So seeing her befriending this girl and even bringing her along and letting her live with her in her own apartment was really shocking, in a good way. He's genuinely curious and happy to get to know this girl that managed to win Jisoo's friendship, the girl that might be the reason behind Jisoo's newfound brightness even if she didn't show it.

 

 "Okay okay, I'll let you go now, but you will tell me all the details later." He warns and Jisoo nods aggressively, can’t wait to change the subject. "Anyway, aside from checking on you, I came here to take you to dinner too and since we have another guest, how about we all go together."

 

 He finishes cheerfully looking at both of them with anticipation, and before Jennie could respond to him, Jisoo precedes, "In fact, we were about to set dinner. How about you have dinner with us," she says, as she gets up pointing to the table and Sehun can see the prepared table and the placed dishes.

 

 "Of course! Why not?" he gets up too, followed by Jennie.

 

 

Since Jennie learned that this man is Jisoo's father and she's restless. Nervous, and another uncomfortable feeling was nagging her, as if something is not in its right place, a feeling of anxiety and worrisome, like she had forgotten something important-

 

 

 "YO! YO! WHAT’S UPP! Mother Lisa's in the house!"

 

 Lisa announces loudly and enthusiastically with a swag after kicking the door open with a loud thud, storming the apartment with Chaeyoung on her back, who was also howling with her, not aware of Sehun’s presence yet. 

 

until their eyes fell on him and They freeze. 

 

Lisa lets Chaeyoung slides off of her back slowly as the redness crawls up the features of her face instead.

 

 Now Jennie knows what it is that she had forgotten to do. She forgot to lock the door when Sehun entered.

 

 Yes .. that what was worrying her;  Lisa and Chaeyoung.

 

 "We don't know them."  Jennie says, with a dead smile looking at Sehun after seeing the shock printed on his face.

 

 

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 

 If you asked Jisoo about the most awkward dinner she ever had, the answer would be this.  

 

After she had finished introducing Lisa and Chaeyoung to her father, which was no less awkward than their current situation, Jisoo invited them to sit down and start having dinner already, and now they are in complete silence eating quietly.

 

Lisa still pale-faced looking at her plate, but she wasn't really looking at it and only was moving the spoon aimlessly inside the soup. Apparently, she is thinking about whether to hang herself after this or bury herself deep inside the ground from the embarrassment.

 

 Jennie was slowly eating her meal, taking a glance at each one of them every now and then, probably praying for dinner to go well.

 

 As for Chaeyoung.. well.. she is Chaeyoung; Unbothered, busy eating in complete peace.

 

 Jisoo was eating her dinner normally as she looks at them analyzing the atmosphere. Glad her father didn't ask much as usual and didn't-

 

 

 "So! Mother Lis- sorry, Lisa.."

 

Sehun corrects quickly as he puts the knife and the fork aside and looks at Lisa, who almost choked in her bite when she heard that.

 

 No, of course he wouldn't let that pass.

 

"You also met my daughter in Jeju? and so did Chaeyoung."

 

 She nods affirmatively after she had recovered.

 

"Curiosity is killing me to know the story of how you all met! I mean how? All of you in this short period? What do you think Jisoo? I think it's time for you to tell me now." he finishes with a smile, full with enthusiasm.

 

 - "Mm.. how about we talk about it after dinner?" Jisoo suggestes awkwardly.

 

 

 "No..no..there is nothing better than telling stories during dinner! It is an ideal time to relive memories." He insists even more determined.

 

 Jisoo takes a deep breath as an attempt to arrange her thoughts and create a compelling story because she knows that arguing with her father is useless at this point.

 

 - "We just..we just met there. Do the details really matter?" She asks letting out a nervous chuckle.

 

 

 "Of course! I would like to know how? Oh come on! Are you really going to leave this old man in the middle like this?"  He tells them in a dramatic tone to provoke their sympathy.

 

 

They look at each other and Jennie decides to start first,  "We were.. mmm..we were- we were in the woods."

 

 

 - "We were walking in the woods!" Lisa emphasizes, going on, when she sees Jennie as if her mind had short circuited and stopped working. Sehun looks at them and nods as he listens to them with great interest, 

 

"Chaeyoung and I were walking.. and when we were walking.." It is clear that Lisa was thinking about a lie as she trails off because she was looking into the void and sometimes on them as she narrowed her eyes and spoke slowly.

 

 "We were walking!"

 

  Chaeyoung decides to help Lisa when she sees that she, too,  is starting to have a brain malfunction.

 

 - "Okay.. I got it. you were walking and then?" Sehun quips impatiently.

 

 "Aah.. 'cause the distance was long, that's why they repeated it more than once," Jisoo patches it up, wearing serious expression, that gave her aggressive group approval from the girls.

 

 - "Yes, and then.. we heard a voice.." Chaeyoung continues.

 

 "Oh right, a voice! we heard a voice!" Lisa cuts in strong, she seems to have finally come up with a story to save the day.

"It sounded like a cat is being strangled."

 

 Chaeyoung glances at her with confusion as if to tell her, 'What the hell are you saying?'.

 

Lisa glances back at her, raising her eyebrows slightly, a sign indicating her to go along with the story.

 

 - "Really? I thought it was a cry of wounded dog." Chaeyoung asks matching Lisa's tone, as if that's what really happened, she continues, "Anyway, when we got close to the source of the sound, it became clear to us.. it became clear to us.."

 

 "It became clear us it was Jennie!" Lisa finishes, overly excited.

 

 Now it's Jennie's turn to choke on her water.

 

 After recovering she gives Lisa a death glare. She could swear that she did it on purpose because she pretended not to know them earlier.

 

 "Her leg was injured and she was in pain because of it. we tried to help her and move her to the nearest place and so we kept moving and moving and then.." Lisa trails off thinking about the next storyline before Sehun adds in all seriousness, "you kept moving."

 

"Uh- yeah.." Lisa agrees hesitantly, " and there was when we saw the mansion. good thing Jisoo was standing in front of the front gate, so when she saw us she rushed to help us immediately."

 

 "Right..Jennie was badly injured when I saw her.." Jisoo completes taking the head of the thread from the story of Lisa and Chaeyoung.

 

 "Then I let them inside to treat her leg and thus we got to know each other, and the rest became history!" Jisoo briefly finishes the story and hopes that her father has believed them, whose facial expressions appear to be so.

 

 "Ah..how is your leg now?" Sehun asks addressing Jennie, genuinely concerned, causing her to feel guilty about lying to him.

 

 - "it's completely recovered, It's fine now. Thank you." Jennie reassures smiling.

 

 There is a little silence between them, and when Jennie thinks the intrigation is over as she watches Jisoo's father hold the fork again, she exhales a breath with relief-

 

 "So, what do your parents do?"

 

 No, of course he won't drop it.

 

 This time Jennie responds to him, "They are dead. We are orphans, actually." 

 

She finishes in a calm tone as she lowers her head, both Lisa and Chaeyoung imitates her.

 

 

 - "Oh, I'm sorry."

 

 "No, it's okay."

 

The uncomfortable silence reigns between them again, heavier.

 

 "I can sing!" Chaeyoung blurts out when she notices the weather has become gloomy and depressing as their silence becomes unbearable.

 

 -"Oh really?" Sehun asks.

 

 "Yes, she has a great voice." Lisa confirms, promoting Chaeyoung, who proudly nods to them.

 

 Chaeyoung adjusts her sitting and clears as if preparing her vocal cords for singing, Lisa making a small clapping movements with her hands for her.

 

 Jennie eyes her desperately because she knows what's coming up while Jisoo looks at Chaeyoung with surprise and admiration. this is new information and so she's kinda excited to hear her too.

 

 

"Evrynight in ma dreems.."

 

 Chaeyoung starts with her eyes closed.

 

 "I see you.. I peel you.."

 

 

Sehun's expression changes to confuse when he hears the word 'peeling' and when she sees it, Jennie rushes to patch it up and whispers to him:

 

 "She loves to add her own words to the song for a stronger effect."

 

 He nods with understanding, then both return their attention to Chaeyoung , who's still singing Celine's altered song.

 

 

 

 "Neer.. aaar.. weravaar you are..

 

 My heart go on

 

 Rear.. car.. weraaver you are..

 

 My heart will go on .. "

 

 

Once again the new words in the song catches him, but he ignores them relying on what Jennie had previously told him, thinking that this is something deliberate from Chaeyoung.

 

 Jennie was massaging her forehead all the time and drinking water every now and then. These two will bring her end soon.

 

She's just thankful that Celine Dion isn't here right now, she would've choked her.

 

 

 "Evrytime in my dreems ..

 

 I see you.. You see you .. ''

 

 

 "She loves to repeat the parts that affects her most deeply and let her feel her full emotions."

 

Jennie whispers to him again after hearing Chaeyoung continuing to sing and repeat the first part for the fourth time, seeing Sehun’s blank face, like he was revising his life tape again. 

 

 

 "Okay! let's stop now!" Jennie announces quickly clapping aggressively, Sehun and Jisoo follows after, applauding Chaeyoung and flattering her.

 

 Regardless of the song's complete alteration, and the fact it is more likely they won't listen to it again the way they used to, thanks to Chaeyoung, but the beauty of her voice was overwhelming and their fascination with it was evident.

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 "Okay then, I'll see you tomorrow," Sehun says, wearing his coat, standing at the door with Jisoo.

 

 

 - "Yeah.. be careful on the way."  She advises softly.

 

Miraculously, they managed to complete dinner without any other questions from Sehun, with Jisoo being keen to talk only about external and general topics that are not related to them.  After they finished, Sehun decided that it was time for him to go and then told the girls that he was very happy to meet them and that he's very excited to get to know them more next time.

 

Something that made the girls do a little victory dance inside their minds not because he were happy to meet them, but because he will finally go from here.

 

The nerve wracking dinner was enough.

 

 The door opens and Sehun steps out of the apartment, then stops and turns around, his features soft and cheerful.

 

 "You know? I met your mother on Jeju Island too," he says, smiling warmly at the memory.

 

 Jisoo's features scatter at this surprising piece of new information, which makes her a little emotional.

 

 Even if she didn't admit it, even if she didn't show it, the mentioning of her mother has always been a sensitive topic for her.

 

 -"Oh really?"

 

 "Yeah.. and that is why I can tell that they are good girls, that they're.. how do say it? umm.." he trails off as his eyes wander, trying to find the right words before he looks at Jisoo and smiles. "they send the same innocent and kind aura that your mother used to have."

 

He looks down as if he's recalling a certain memory, his smile never left his face, then looks back at Jisoo.

 

"I will go now. Have a good night." He leans and gives Jisoo a kiss on her forehead.

 

 "Good night," Jisoo replies, smiling heartly.

 

for the first time, she feels as close to her father as she used to be when her mother was still alive.

 

 

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 

 The audio technician and stage director rushes behind the next duo whose turn is within a few seconds. The assistant director responsible for lighting of the stage orders the lights to be turned off.

 

 

 "Okay, is everything ready?" The director asks his staff, and when they say yes to him, he nods to the background music team to start the show.

 

 It's the day of the event, the dance party, and everyone is in constant movement from participants to the responsible people in charge behind the scenes. Jennie was sitting on a chair waiting for Jisoo to come with Jackson, she is probably still in the dressing room.

 

 Although she is not the one to perform - which will be due after two performances from now - she is also tense and nervous, rubbing her hands over her thighs, shaking her leg in repeatedly and hopes that everything will go well because Jisoo worked hard for this.

 

 

 

 .  .  .  .

 

 

 

 Jisoo has finished changing her clothes, now exiting the room, which is located on the second floor of the building, and before heading to the place where Jennie is, she walks forward. Curious to see the current view of the large glass window in front of her that overlooks the stage and the entire hall.

 

 "Nervous?" Jackson interrupts her thoughts and steps forward to stand by her side, looking at the ongoing performance as well.

 

 - "Kind of.. you?"  She tells him and looks back at the stage in front of her.

 

 "And why would I be? It's just a dance."

 

Jisoo hides her irritation about his lack of interest, or rather his belittlement of this, and ignores the part in her mind that tells her to comment on his remark or dewll on it.

 

 Throughout her training with him in the past days, She noticed this about his personality, Jackson is a reckless, arrogant, and full of himself.

 

 "Yeah, it's just a dance." She scoffs nonchalantly.

 

 - "In the end.. that's all just for show." Jisoo nods to him in agreement, "What really matters is what happens after the show, right?"

 

 Confused by his last words, she glances at him briefly. what does he mean by what happens after the show?

 

 "Sorry, I didn't catch that. what might happen after the show?"

 

 Jackson gives her cocky smile and follows:

"Oh you know, why they hold such parties. It's so that families can cooperate with each other and announce their partnership."

 

 - "Uh, you mean the partnership matter. Yes, of course, it would be good for you to cooperate with the company my aunt runs."

 

 "Yes, I cannot wait to see their the faces once we announce our engagement," he says with confidence, a proud smile on his face making Jisoo frown instantly.

 

 - "pardon? What did you say? our engagement?" Jisoo asks with great confusion as she looks at him with furrowed eyebrows.

 

 His smile immediately disappears when he sees her reaction and quickly follows:

 

 "What do you mean what? I'm talking about our engagement."

 

 - "what engagement? I didn't receive anything about this topic."

 

 He swallows, taken back, and adjusts his demeanor while trying to understand what is happening:

 

 "Wait a minute, you didn't know?" He asks and chuckles in disbelief.

 

"I mean how is that possible?  Our partnership is all based on this marriage. This is stated in our agreement with Kim Eun Ji." 

 

 Jisoo begins to grasp it thing by thing, she closes her eyes momentarily and takes a breath to try to keep her cool.

 

 "There seems to be a misunderstanding, Mr. Jackson. My aunt didn't tell me anything about this."

 

 Jackson sighs starting to get annoyed, massages his forehead uncomfortably before he digresses,

 

 - "ugh! How about we talk about this later? After the dance."

 

 Jackson turns around, intending to go, but Jisoo grabs his arm and pulls him, making him face her again.

 

 "No, we'll talk now." She states firmly, looking at him very seriously.

 

 Shocked by her act, he doesn't know how a girl who looks so fragile can have such a strong grip.

 

 He frees his forearm from her grip, adjusts his posture, and then directs his attention to her as a sign for her to proceed.

 

 "The only thing that will happen after the dance is announcing the cooperation of my aunt's company with your company. no engagement announcement, nor anything of that nature. not now, not later." She tells him with a determined tone as she stares at him sharply.

 

 - "Hey, you must be kidding me!" He scoffs bitterly. "Are you telling me that me practicing this dance was for nothing?!"

 

 "Not for nothing, the two companies will still be cooperating together. And maybe you should have asked the girl first whether or not she will accept before you rush and decide on your own!" She finishes absurdly referring to herself.

 

 - "It was your aunt who told me that you agree!" He snaps angrily, "I didn't know you all are not close enough to discuss these matters together!"

 

 Jisoo rolls her eyes carelessly before she follows ignoring his distress, 

"In any case, I'm just telling you definitively. Nothing will happen between us, no engagement nor anything else. It is better for you to completely forget about this matter and focus only on the dance."

 

 Jackson laughs ironically, disbelievingly, before turns around and leaves Jisoo alone.

 

That hurt his ego, does she expect that he will just let this go? And that he will continue the show with her, smoothly,  after embarrassing him like this? 

 

'No. I won't.'

 

For the past month, he has been bragging in front of his family and friends that he will take Kim Jisoo to himself, that he will finally do something to get his father to hand him the corporate company.  And now, as simple as that, she has broken all his plans and expectations! 

 

 

 . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 It is time for Jisoo and Jackson to perform and so everyone is in a rush to complete the preparations.  Jisoo was standing behind the stage looking at it, waiting for Jackson to come, and on her side Jennie was standing, hitting the ground lightly with the heels of her shoes nervously.

 

 "Okay, we've finished the settings. Where's Jackson?"  The director asks hurrying to Jisoo, looking around for Jackson.

 

 - "He's not here yet. I sent one of the employees behind him," Jisoo replies calmly.

 

 "He has to hurry up! the current performance is about to end!"  He says, pointing to the stage, to see that it is already over. And the participating duo are on their way to leave the stage. The MC advances to present the next duo.

 

 the employee sent by Jisoo returns panting.

 

 "Miss Jisoo.. Mr. Jackson is not here! The doorman saw him as he climbed his car and left!"

 

 - "What? Why is he leaving? What are we going to do now?" The director panicks, looking like he is about to have a seizure, causing the whole staff to tesne up.

 

 Everyone was looking at Jisoo, awaiting for her next decision. it's a duo dance, if one of the partners is not there, it will be canceled.

 

 Jennie was looking at her, too, but she was looking at her facial features intently, they were utter disappointment.

 

They hear the MC starts excitedly,

 

 [Ladies and gentlemen. Now is the time for the performance that we were all waiting for! The extraordinary unique duo!

 We present to you; Kim Jisoo and Jackson Wang!]

 

 

 The sounds of cheerful applause and encouragement fills the atmosphere of the hall as they wait for the duo to enter.

 

 Moments pass and no one enters, which makes the stage noises gradually subside.

 

 [Oh, maybe there are some problems behind the scenes, it will soon be solved! Let's wait a little longer!]

 

 Another seconds pass by and everyone has become in complete silence, some of them started talking and criticizing, while others began to get upset and vilify their behavior, which they considered inappropriate and unprofessional.

 

 "Jisoo, what will we do now?" Jennie asks her softly, her tone filled with concern, after seeing her prolonged silence, which doesn't fit the current urgent situation, drawing Jisoo back to reality.

 

 - "We will do the necessary." Jisoo finally speaks, "I will tell them to cancel the performance." Jisoo finishes as she passes by Jennie to talk to the Audio technician and tells him to inform the MC via the headset that the show has been canceled.

 

 Jennie stills with incredible disbelief. all those weeks they spent practicing and all that consuming time will now go to waste only because of that irresponsible vile behavior. This was not just a dance for Jisoo, this was a view of what she really is about and a prove of her stand among these ignorant people. Not as if she needed them or cared about them but rather to demonstrate the absurdity of their beliefs.

 

 This is what Jennie will never allow. She will never allow Jisoo's efforts to go in vain.

 

 

 .  .  .. . . . .

 

 

 "Excuse me." Jisoo says once she get to the audio technician, "inform the MC that one of the partners isn't present and that the performance will be-"

 

 

 [Oh.. they seem to have finally attended- wait.

 

This is not Kim Jisoo, who is this girl?  Is this part of the show perhaps?]

 

The MC ends his speech with a laugh, to ease the atmosphere as he looks at the girl standing in the middle of the stage, who keeps her gaze directed behind the stage, ignoring the looks of the crowd.

 

 Jisoo slowly turns around, hoping it's not what she thinks it is.

 

 

 No.

 

 It is exactly as she thought.

 

 

 "Jennie." 

 

 

 

 ————————————

 To Be continued

 ————————————