One of A Kind.

「O2」
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
One of A Kind.

 

 

For better or for worse, Eunha’s words and voice and expression invaded Junmyeon’s mind for the following days. His distracted behaviour did not go unnoticed by his colleagues. Irene and Taeil exchanged numerous glances of confusion though neither approached the male, thinking that he would get over it if given some time.

 

Fortunately for Junmyeon, the ER had been uncharacteristically quiet, with mostly minor accidents and injuries that could easily be handled by residents and interns. Nonetheless, he knew that he needed a distraction, which was why he jumped to the opportunity of injecting saline solution into an unconscious patient who had just been brought in by the ambulance.

 

However, just as the needle was about to prick the patient’s skin, a delicate hand grabbed Junmyeon’s wrist, harshly pulling it away from the patient.

 

“Are you trying to kill the patient?” Eunha hissed into Junmyeon’s ear, sending shivers down his spine. “That thing you are holding is morphine.”

 

Realising that it was Eunha holding his wrist, Junmyeon jolted back and ripped his arm away from the girl as if she was plague. Only then did Junmyeon’s mind finally come into focus and he gasped when he realised his mistake. He mumbled silent words of gratitude that the patient was unconscious, or there would have been some serious explanation to do on his part.

 

Irene and Taeil both stared at Junmyeon, shocked and puzzled by his frantic and disheveled behaviour. In contrast, Eunha looked utterly unperturbed, almost as though she was expecting such a reaction from him. Raising an eyebrow at him as if passing a judgment on his behaviour, Eunha softly shook her head and proceeded to join another doctor who had paged her to consult about something.

 

Junmyeon thought that once Eunha left he would be able to regain control of his senses. However it seemed that having been caught unfocused while at work by her had left Junmyeon feeling as though he was being pushed underwater, his lungs filling with water and no means of reaching the surface.

 

He remained trapped in that state of perpetual tension for the rest of the day; with occasional moments where he managed to break through the water surface and inhale some air only to realise that something did not feel quite right, that his lungs refused to absorb the oxygen.

 

Being able to talk to Aecha on the phone however acted as a lifeline that managed to bring him a means of survival, though his heart cracked when he caught the hint of disappointment in Aecha’s voice when Junmyeon was not yet home despite the moon being already high up in the sky.

 

“I'm sorry Dumpling, I promise I’ll be home soon,” Junmyeon comforted his daughter, using the nickname that Bongcha had come up for her. “I’ll even get ice cream on the way.”

 

“No ice cream before bed time, it’s bad for the tummy,” Aecha chided, making Junmyeon chuckle. “Daddy stop procrastinating and finish work.”

 

“Procrastinag? When did you learn to use such big words?” Junmyeom gasped in shock. “My baby Dumpling is growing up so fast.”

 

“I’m a smart girl!” Aecha exclaimed, any lingering sense of disappointment gone. “Uncle Soo said so.”

 

“Be honest, who do you prefer, Uncle Soo or Daddy?”

 

“Auntie Bongbong.” Aecha giggled into the phone.

 

“That’s cheating!” Junmyeon chuckled but immediately froze upon hearing Aehca’s next sentence.

 

“I like lollipop doctor as well. Daddy I want to meet her again.”

 

“And why is that?” Junmyeon managed to rasp out.

 

“I made chocolate chip cookies with Uncle Soo today and want to give one to lollipop doctor.”

 

“Only one?” Junmyeon mused.

 

“Because there are only 2 left and 1 is for you daddy.”

 

Junmyeon felt his heart become overwhelmed with a tender warmness that threatened to overflow and veil him in a state of bliss and oblivion. Moments like this made him entirely grateful for having Aecha as part of his life, despite how many obstacles and struggles he had to overcome.

 

“Daddy’s leaving the hospital now Dumpling,” Junmyeon mumbled softly. “I’m looking forward to the chocolate chip cookie.”

 

Hanging up the phone, Junmyeon changed out of the hospital scrubs and into his regular clothing. As he neared the front entrance of the hospital, he realised that it was raining. Junmyeon mentally slapped himself, annoyed that he had not parked his car in the underground parking lot, meaning that he had to brave the few metres of rain before reaching the safety of his car.

 

Inhaling sharply, Junmyeon readied himself to dash out into the rain only to find himself coming to an abrupt stop as he saw Eunha standing right outside the entrance, her head lifted upwards while staring at the sky. Junmyeon hesitated, wondering why she was not with Minseok only to remember that the male was off at a conference in Busan today; meaning Eunha had been left without a form of transport. Rubbing the back of his neck, Junmyeon was trying to gather enough courage to go up to Eunha and offer her a ride home, purely because he was a nice person and no other reason — or so he tried to convince himself. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter