rising action

in between the lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

rising action

high school

 

 

***

 

 

High school just has everyone filled to the brim with excitement. It could be pinned on the embellished notions high schoolers have imprinted on the gullible middle schooler brains. My brother would brag about his self-proclaimed legendary misadventures, regaling a bunch of wacky stuff he and his friends got themselves into. Because these are proclamations by the idiot, I wouldn’t bat an eye. I viewed high schoolers as people with superiority complex.

Becoming one myself, it did feel like I was mounted on a pedestal. The youngins were galaxies away from me looking so microscopic from the imaginary podium I stood on. Isn’t that how you feel? Achieving a higher level of maturity by reaching that milestone. It could be the brand-new uniform or the sophisticated vibe being in high school emanates. I couldn’t decipher it.

Much to our dismay, we were in separate classes once more. A cruel twist of fate, am I right? No? Yeah, Wendy’s flair for dramatics has rubbed off on me. So it wasn’t cruel. It was a predicament we’ve overcome before. If we’d learned anything from our second year of middle school, it’s that the separation couldn’t sever our friendship. What did taint our bond was—no, sorry. That’s a fast-forward from our timeline. Can’t have myself spoiling the happenings down the road. I’d be a horrible storyteller.

Where was I? Oh, yes. High school. Our high school. The very school you go to, which meant one thing for us: boys. I’ve been living with one since birth, a nasty dirt-tracking, snack-stealing, fart-producing homo sapien, but I wasn’t spared from the culture shock. It had taken me a month to adjust. Wendy befriended them effortlessly. She was in her element when making friends.

Irene-unnie was a whole other story. The impact of a mere hairstyle alteration combined with puberty hitting her square on the face had been deadly. Boys obviously fawned over her. You’ll be enlightened on how they would tail unnie.

Aside from the boys, freshman year was the year Seungwan and Joohyun became Wendy and Irene. We had a tall guy named Seungwan and two more Joohyun’s. It would’ve caused head-turning confusions. To eliminate any future misunderstandings, they’ve gone with a name-change of Wendy and Irene. However, I was unaware their names wouldn’t be the only ones undergoing changes.

 

 

“What a week it has been.”

 

“We’re only in our first year and I’m already exhausted.”

 

“Exhausted? All we did for five days was introduce ourselves to our classmates and have a run-through of our classes. We basically socialized.”

 

“Socializing is an extreme sport in my book.”

 

“Want some juice, unnie? I think we have some in the fridge.”

 

“No, I think your brother drank everything when we got in. Saw him tiptoe from the kitchen.”

 

“Ugh, really? That idiot brother. I think we have some milk though.”

 

“That won’t be necessary, Seulgi. I’ll just lie on the couch to soothe my tired bones.”

 

“Interesting. Since when was I a part of the couch?”

 

“Since your squishy has been a desirable alternative than the cushions.”

 

“What’s with this sudden obsession on Wendy’s ?”

 

“Didn’t notice it then but they’re firm and squishy! Pinch them.”

 

“Seulgi, no—ouch!”

 

“Oh, wow, you’re right. How firm!”

 

“Damn it, Hyun.”

 

“I’m Irene now.”

 

“I call you Irene in school, but you’ll always be Hyunnie to me.”

 

“What if Seo Joohyun hears you and she assumes it’s for her?”

 

“That would be hilarious.”

 

“Then you’ll always be Hyunnie to me in private.”

 

“Ack! No more cheek kisses! Leave me in peace.”

 

“I would but your head’s lying on my lap.”

 

“I’m resting.”

 

“With your hand reaching for my ?”

 

“They’re like stress balls.”

 

“Speaking of stress, we have homework to do.”

 

“It’s a Friday.”

 

“Seulgi and I started on it while waiting for you to come out from your classroom.”

 

“Okay, but I’m staying here on your lap. I’ll just listen to you guys.”

 

“Seulgi, hand me my sheet from my bag please.”

 

“Which zipper?”

 

“The biggest one.”

 

“Here it is.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Wannie, have you solved these problems yet?”

 

“Which?”

 

“These ones.”

 

“What the…my class was given another problem to solve. Check Hyun’s sheet.”

 

“It’s inside my binder.”

 

“Yup. Different problems.”

 

“Darn it. We can’t compare answers now.”

 

“Or copy.”

 

“It’s the universe telling you to get your lazy to it.”

 

“Later. But this . Is it too much to ask to have the three of us be in one class?”

 

“Aww, don’t fret, Hyunnie. Those walls could never tear us apart.”

 

“…”

 

“Wannie, what the heck was that?”

 

“Contain your greasiness, Son Seungwan!”

 

“Oh, you like it.”

 

“Like I would ever!”

 

 

-

 

 

Choir had been fun in middle school. It helped in molding me as a person and as a comrade to my fellow members. Those two years had been enjoyable, performing alongside Wendy and unnie. But all good things have to come to an end.

The three of us had uncovered our individual interests in high school. I would’ve liked to stay together in choir, but I had favored another extracurricular. Unnie shared my sentiments and so did Wendy. We were best friends, but were our own person before that. We have to let the other grow to have them prosper.

My brother had his baseball equipment lying around the house, and I’d taken over them as soon as he moved away for university. I had my fair share of baseball expertise thanks to the idiot using me as his catcher slash human target practice for years. It honed my athleticism, and it aided me in succeeding at the softball tryouts.

Irene-unnie surprisingly signed up for the school’s Journalism Club after becoming awestruck by “the pretty sunbae in pink”—a friend of Tae-unnie, she was Tiffany, if I’m not mistaken—manning their booth during the freshman orientation program. I’m saying surprisingly since unnie wasn’t thrilled in partaking any variation of public speaking. I thought nothing of her fangirling over “the pretty sunbae in pink”, repeating the phrase again and again. I do recall the sunbae being exceptionally charismatic, smoothly attracting a crowd. Looking back, there’s a voice in me that says eighty percent of her signing up had to do with the sunbae than the club itself.

Wendy unsurprisingly joined the school’s Theater Club. I wouldn’t have to expound on it. She has performer engraved in her heart. As we were engrossed in our chosen clubs, our schedules would clash, making it increasingly difficult for us to spend our afternoons together.

 

 

“Seulgi! Wendy!”

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Hyun! Seulgi and I have club activities today. You shouldn’t wait for us.”

 

“Yes, yes. I’ve kept track of your schedule. I wasn’t going to leave until I gave these to you. I ran to the cafeteria before it closed. Take these. Drinks and sandwiches for you two.”

 

“Free food!”

 

“Aww, Hyun.”

 

“You shouldn’t have, unnie.”

 

“Yeah. It’s sweet of you. I should probably go to the dentist tomorrow.”

 

“Was there a dental appointment you missed?”

 

“No, it’s because you have my teeth rotting to the core.”

 

“…”

 

“I’m taking yours back.”

 

“No take-backs! Your gesture has brought back the colors into my world. You’ve cast aside the looming shadows in this bleary afternoon—”

 

“Okay, get your hustle on, Shakespear, you’ll get yelled at for arriving late again. Is someone going home with you, unnie?”

 

“Jackson and Bogum will be.”

 

“You’re going home with boys?”

 

“I’m comfortable with them. We have a similar route home.”

 

“As long as they’re not two of your creepy fanboys.”

 

“They’re not. Don’t stress about it. I’ll text you guys tonight!”

 

 

-

 

High school boys were a nuisance. They were rowdy, loud-mouthed and obnoxious. Sometimes worse than elementary school children. Those three unappealing qualities alone repelled me from ever dating in high school. Boys as friends were totally bearable. I did have a number of male friends whose sense of humor had been extremely childish. Drooling on each other’s desks childish. But they were good guys, just with the mentality of a ten year-old.

Would have I dated them? Hell no. I wouldn’t have sustained a relationship with their immaturity. Dating was at the bottom pit of my priorities. College, thank God, was a breath of fresh air. Wendy would tell me it’s because I met Sehun at university and was saved from meeting his high school self. She does have a point. I have the timing of our meeting to be grateful for.

To Irene-unnie, boys were especially a nuisance. As I’ve previously mentioned, unnie was our famous school Belle, harvesting suitors left and right. Those hopefuls ranged from our classmates, to our sunbaes, and to the hormonal teenage boys from the neighboring schools. Her neck-straining beauty was widely recognized in the area. It’s where her appellation of “local goddess” had originated.

Unnie’s wariness around strangers was amplified at her battalion of admirers. They’d do everything to talk to her, slipping in love letters into her locker and buying her presents she would politely decline. The school security had to monitor the boys flocking the gate from trespassing. Other girls saw it as an unfair blessing. Unnie saw it as a curse.

 

 

“Pardon me, Juliet. Your dashing Romeos are by the school gate.”

 

“Oh no.”

 

“Oh yes.”

 

“Turn around, Seul. We’re going back in.”

 

“Wha—why—slow down, unnie!”

 

“Keep running!”

 

“…”

 

“You think we’re safe inside here?”

 

“Outsiders are banned from entering past the gates, so we’re good. But why are we hiding? Are the boys bothering you?”

 

“It’s an entrapment. They’re expecting me to choose.”

 

“Choose who you’re going to date?”

 

“Yeah. Some of them hounded the guys I’ve spoken to. I’m ashamed to show myself to Jackson and Bogum. They’re my co-members from the Broadcasting Club for Pete’s sake. Those guys thought they were giving them a run for their money.”

 

“That gives boy problems another meaning.”

 

“How ridiculous is that? They’re my friends. Will every single male I interact with be a budding romantic interest? It’s exasperating! A guy and a girl can be friends without going beyond friendship.”

 

“Do you like either Jackson or Bogum?”

 

“As friends.”

 

“How about any of the guys outside?”

 

“Not one! I’m drowning, Seul. Whatever move I make, they misinterpret it as flirting. I haven’t even flirted before! It would be a miracle for me to have a decent convo with the opposite .”

 

“Don’t let those poor unfortunate souls hear you.”

 

“Wendy! How was your audition for My Fair Lady?”

 

“Meh. I’m not proud of it. Why are you guys still here? Didn’t you leave earlier?”

 

“The boys.”

 

 “Ah, the throng of hopeless romantics that would put boybands with multiple sub-units to shame. No promising candidate for the coveted Prince Charming of our Ironrene?”

 

“Nope. And really? Ironrene? Quit making fun of my love for laundry. I already have too many nicknames.”

 

“If you say so, Laundrene.”

 

“That one’s witty.”

 

“Don’t enable her.”

 

“You know what your future boo should call you?”

 

“Oh God, not another—”

 

“Bae.”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“You are so lame.”

 

“I’m rethinking our friendship.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“You guys are a downer! Yongsun would have been shrieking at that.”

 

“Who’s Yong?”

 

“She’s a bubbly girl from our class.”

 

“And a member of the Student Council who makes the corniest jokes.”

 

“She and Wannie are like soulmates!”

 

“Soulmates?”

 

“You’ll meet yours, Hyun. Who knows, when you do, you’ll be too busy with your loverboy to hang with us.”

 

“I’m never too busy for you.”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“And I’m the greasy one?”

 

“You’re tainting her vocabulary, Wan!”

 

 

-

 

 

Irene-unnie really outdid herself for Wendy’s sixteenth birthday. We had devised a surprise party at the school theater after being permitted by Sooyoung-unnie, their club president. I was tasked with collecting the handwritten messages from Wendy’s friends, but the incoming games of the softball season kept my afternoons swamped. I was training every day, and I couldn’t sneak out from Hyo-unnie’s watchful eyes. I would’ve died under wrath.

And so, unnie assured me she’ll be alright shouldering everything else. I felt guilty for not being of service, and all I had to do was to make sure everybody showed up. I sketched Wannie a portrait to pacify myself. Unnie had ventured outside of her comfort zone, conversing with the people in Wendy’s circle of friends. I was impressed. You have to understand, it’s a huge circle we’re talking about.

Why were we going all out? It was unfortunate that Wendy’s parents weren’t there to celebrate the occasion with her. They had flown to Canada to take care of her older sister who had gotten into an accident. It was minor, sprained her foot while trekking, but it was alarming enough to have her folks worried. Wendy was bound to celebrate it alone on a school night.

Unnie said it was unacceptable, and I assented. We weren’t going to have our best friend wallow by herself at an empty house.

 

 

“Everything ready, Seul?”

 

“You betcha.”

 

“The cake?”

 

“Lit and on the stage.”

 

“Okay. Alright. Good. Good. Things will be good. Or it won’t. Oh my God. It’s going to . Seulgi, oh my God—”

 

“Woah, chill for a sec, unnie. The surprise will go without a hitch. Relax.”

 

“Y-yeah. You’re right. I’m just…”

 

“Move it people I gotta pee!”

 

“Wha—”

 

“Yeri, have some manners!”

 

“You’re both standing in the middle of the hallway so maybe you should have some manners.”

 

“…”

 

“Feisty. Kid’s missing a boot though. Who was that?”

 

“Taeyeon-unnie’s eight year-old sister.”

 

“Guys.”

 

“Update on Wannie’s whereabouts, Jackson?”

 

“She’s here. She’s walking towards the door. Get into places, everyone!”

 

“Thanks again for helping, Jackson.”

 

“Glad to be of help, Irene.”

 

“The door’s opening. Turn off the lights and everyone shush!”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“Uh, hello? Anyone—oh ! Who the left a child-sized boot on the aisle?”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“Yo, anybody in the house?”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“I’m getting sacrificial lamb vibes from the candles on stage and I’m not ready to die a .”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“Hello?”

 

“Surprise!”

 

“Oh, sweet Jesus you guys scared me!”

 

“Happy birthday, Wendy!”

 

“My birthday is in two weeks..?”

 

“But then it wouldn’t be a surprise.”

 

“Seulgi! Hyun! And other people whose names I couldn’t possibly mention in one sitting! This is clever. Wow, I’m—I’m floored.”

 

“Do you like it?”

 

“To be candid with you guys, those candles plus the red curtains made me think you were luring me in for a satanic ritual since I couldn’t distinguish the cake from afar. But thank you, everyone! Ooh, hey. Taeyeon-unnie! Don’t you have a decathlon?”

 

“Happy birthday, Wendy.”

 

“You’ve brought the gremlin too.”

 

“Who you calling gremlin, pipsqueak.”

 

“…”

 

“Behave yourself, Yeri. Actually, Joohyun found out it was being rescheduled, and she contacted me about the arrangement.”

 

“You planned this?”

 

“Seulgi and I did.”

 

“She did most of it, Wannie! She even talked to people.”

 

“You’re making me sound like a total recluse. Seulgi did your portrait over there.”

 

“Oh my—what the hell! That is incredible! Have I always been that adorable?”

 

“Anything for you, Wan. But the real credit goes to Irene-unnie who staged everything.”

 

“Did she now?”

 

“Yeah, yeah. It’s no sweat. But I can’t stay long because my sister has her dance recital at the middle school across, so I gotta leave.”

 

“No worries, Hyun. Thanks so much for this!”

 

“Birthdays are only once a year, so…Well, I have to get going. Happy birthday again, Wendy!”

 

“…”

 

“Aww!”

 

“Cute.”

 

“Don’t count on me to do that another time!”

 

“…”

 

“Running away after kissing you on the cheek. That is such a kiddie move.”

 

“She kissed me…”

 

“We saw. We have eyes.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter