Power play

If the War Goes On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Unit 2, check in." Chanyeol spoke his order quietly into his radio. He was crouched behind a low wall that separated a warehouse from the factory where Bakwi was supposed to be. Baekhyun was crouched right beside him, but his partner checked in through the radio channel anyway, as was procedure. Seulgi and Sehun reported that they’d taken up position around the back of the factory. Chanyeol then asked the four members of special unit 3, who were backing them up, to check in with him as well. He would have been a lot happier if Chief Park back at HQ had approved a couple of SWAT units too, but the dubious word of one dealer wasn’t enough for the station to commit that level of resources. He’d been lucky that Lee Hyukjae, the leader of unit 3, owed him a favour. Eight people still wasn’t really enough for Chanyeol's liking, but it was a hell of a lot better than four.

The sound of an approaching engine reached him. “Incoming,” he muttered into the radio, shifting forward slightly to get a line of sight on the car that was pulling up in front of the factory. A young man dressed in a dark, slim-cut suit got out. Chanyeol automatically catalogued his appearance for future reference. Mid-twenties, around 173 centimetres, slightly built, messy black hair falling around his ears and over his forehead. The man took a couple of steps towards the building, then stopped in his tracks and glanced around. Even at this distance, Chanyeol could see the alertness in the stranger’s lithe body, like a wild animal sensing danger. He held his breath. If this guy sensed something was up and alerted the men already inside, things could go south fast.

After a few moments that seemed interminable, the young man resumed his pace, disappearing into the factory.

“You ever seen him before?” Baekhyun asked quietly.

“No,” Chanyeol said, frowning. “It’s a good car, though. He’s probably fairly high up.”

“Should we move in?”

“Not yet,” Chanyeol said. “More people could show up. We need to make sure we’re not going to be caught between two groups.”

“I’m getting eyes in,” Sehun’s voice came over the radio. He was referring to the tiny camera affixed to a long, thin wire that could be fed through cracks between ill-fitting windows and doors. The camera relayed to a handheld device. It would allow them to get an idea of how many people they were dealing with – provided Sehun could get the camera into the right area.

“Good,” Chanyeol said. Knowing the numbers they faced and what part of the factory they were in could be crucial, especially when it came to blocking escape routes. He was most worried about the lower-level men starting a fight, occupying them so the higher-ups could slip away. “We’ll wait another ten minutes.”

Silence resumed. Chanyeol watched the minutes tick slowly by, resisting the impulse to radio Sehun and ask for a progress report. Sehun would be doing his best. Chanyeol nagging him wouldn’t help.

Eight minutes and thirty-five seconds later, the unmistakable sound of a gunshot echoed from inside the building.

“Shots fired!” Three voices spoke over the radio simultaneously, right as a second gunshot sounded. Time to make a move. Adrenaline coursing through his veins, Chanyeol ordered both units to move in.

He and Baekhyun vaulted over the wall and ran towards the factory. Hyukjae and Donghae from unit 3 broke from the cover of a skip across the forecourt and met them at the door. He held up his hand and counted down from three on his fingers, then kicked the door open. They poured into a long, narrow corridor, weapons covering all angles – but there were no men waiting for them to enter. At least, no men who could do anything about it.

“What the heck?" Hyukjae asked. Chanyeol stared at the apparent massacre of slumped and crumpled bodies sprawled down the corridor. There were dozens. He and Baekhyun began crouching to check the bodies while Hyukjae and Donghae moved ahead, covering the end of the corridor with their guns in case anyone else turned up. Chanyeol and Baekhyun soon found that the men on the floor weren't dead, just unconscious.

“No weapon marks,” Baekhyun said, crouching over one man. “See this? This is a heel mark, right on the pressure point. Someone knows their kicks.”

“Shots were fired, though,” Chanyeol pointed out. He stood up and walked further down the corridor, stepping over motionless bodies. “Are any of these guys Bakwi?”

A groan sounded near his ankle. Chanyeol spun and crouched, grabbing the man’s arm and twisting it into an armlock, making sure he couldn’t move. “What happened here?” he demanded.

The man was shaking. “The kid,” he gasped.

“Kid?" Baekhyun stood over them, looking down. "You mean the guy who showed up a few minutes ago?”

“Yeah…that son of a…”

“Are you saying one guy did all this?” Chanyeol could not believe it. There must be twenty men down.

“It’s possible,” Baekhyun murmured. “They’d be hindered by the narrow corridor, wouldn’t be able to get around him. All the same, it would be tough. I don’t know if I could do it.”

Motion at the end of the corridor made them both glance around. Seulgi and Sehun had appeared, having entered from the back. There was a brief tense moment as their weapons and those of the watchful Hyukjae and Donghae pointed at each other, until everyone was recognised and the guns were lowered.

“There’s two men in the boiler room,” Sehun reported. “Both shot in the leg, knocked out, and tied to the pipes. No sign of Bakwi.”

Chanyeol turned back to his armlocked thug.

“This "kid" – do you know who he is?”

The man looked at him warily. He’d been half-dazed before, but now some caution was returning. Chanyeol leaned into his hold on the man’s arm, putting pressure on the locked joint until he yelped and writhed.

“They call him Chen," he gasped. "That’s all I know!”

A screech of tires from outside the building. Chanyeol leapt up, running to the door just in time to see the car the young man - Chen - had arrived in pull away from the factory at top speed. He ran a couple of steps after it, but he had no chance of pursuit on foot, and their own vehicles were too far away. He just had time to see a passenger in the back seat, a bulky figure whose wrists had been secured in some way to the handle above the door. It had to be Bakwi. This Chen character had apparently succeeded, all on his own, in the task that Chanyeol and all his officers had failed in – apprehending Bakwi.

Frustration kicking at his guts, Chanyeol radioed the pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter