1/8 - Beginning the week

Blessings from the Past

*MONDAY*

On Monday, Chanyeol walked through the high school campus gates like he always did every weekday morning - just as the first bell rang. Only 5 weeks into the school year and he already had the timing perfected, even down to the minute that he parked his blue BMW in the school parking lot. The teachers would all be headed towards their classrooms within 5 minutes of the morning bell and then the second bell of the morning would signal the start of class. Getting to campus at the first bell meant he wouldn't have to deal with a lot of extra attention.

Chanyeol brought his coffee cup up to his mouth, enjoying the rich flavor as he made his way thru the school doors. Having his family's name on the donor faceplate of the library door didn't hurt his chances of breezing into the building whenever he pleased. The Parks were one of the most generous families of benefactors to the elite private school, and Chanyeol didn't mind that everyone on the school campus knew who he was.

Park Chanyeol was a tall, rich, handsome, BMOC - Big Man On Campus. Whether they were referring to his height or his popularity didn't matter to him. 

At the beginning of the school year he had sweet-talked the school guidance counselor into getting his classes arranged so his first class every day was study hall in the library. And all the hall monitors swooned over him, which meant he could come and go as he pleased. He didn't abuse this power, but it was nice to have.

Chanyeol made himself comfortable in a remote corner of the library, chair pushed back slightly with his long legs propped up on a table, coffee cup in one hand and a novel in the other. One of the main reasons he enjoyed his first period study hall was that not many others had chosen this time slot so there was a strong chance he wouldn't be bothered by anyone during the first period class and he could read to his heart's content. Life was good.

The first period crawled by, but eventually the bell rang to signal the end of class.

Chanyeol pulled his long legs off the table. After making a mental note of the page he was on, he laid the book where his feet had just been. He knew it would be there tomorrow, since all the library staff were aware of his habit and always left his book of choice alone for him to pick it back up the next day. The only time this ever changed was when he would return whatever book he had finished back to the shelves and pick up a new one to start reading. For obvious reasons, it was appropriate that the donor plaque with his family name was on the library doors.

The chaos in the hallways between classes was always entertaining. As he walked, Chanyeol kept his elbows in, his backpack slung over his shoulder casually, and his coffee cup close to his chest. Experience told him this was the safest way to keep his cool exterior look while preventing any mishaps to himself or his morning caffeine. Being tall meant he could usually see what bumbling idiot, embarrassed nerd, or flirting student might be heading into his personal space, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Today was no exception. As he rounded the corner, he side stepped to avoid being surrounded by the usual group of overly stuck-up girls with their designer clothes, expensive handbags, over-done make-up, and I-Know-You-Want-Me-But-I'm-Too-Good-For-You attitudes.

He knew what was coming. 

"Oh, Chanyeo~lee..!" 

Yep, like clockwork.

Chanyeol half-turned to camouflage his rolling eyes, while trying to appear as tho he was paying attention. "Taeyeon.." he responded with no emotion. 

"Do you like my outfit today? I bought it this weekend.." The expensively dressed girl batted her eyelashes and flounced to make her hair and skirt bounce a little.

"I didn't notice it." Chanyeol made a point to never lie. Trying to remember the details of the lie later would only lead to disaster.

"You didn't notice my outfit? But you walked right by me!" the girl huffed and stomped her designer shoe lightly on the floor.

"Exactly." he deadpanned.

The pretty girl huffed again but Chanyeol just lifted his coffee cup to take a drink as he turned away, ignoring her as well as the others' eyes on him. He was used to being watched, and today was no different. The squawking of the female blended into the noise around him as he continued his trek down the hallway to his AP Calculus class.

Everyone in the school knew the rich boy. His dad was a high-powered attorney and the whole family came from money, but he wasn't an about it. He also had a smart head on his shoulders. The college-level class was the hardest subject of his day, and Chanyeol had arranged for it to be his first "real" class each day so he could cruise thru the rest of his day with ease. He knew he wouldn't be bothered by anyone during the second period class either, since the only students that took AP Calculus were bookworm-types that would be too caught up in the curriculum or too nervous to talk to him.

Chanyeol flopped into his usual seat in the next-to-last row over near the window. With his height he could still see the chalkboard, but this seat also gave him the opportunity to enjoy the scenery outside if the class became too boring. He liked that no one sat in the seat next to him either, so if he wanted to he could stretch out his long limbs without being in anyone's way.

The bell rang to indicate the start of the class period and the teacher went over to close the classroom door, but was stopped by the school principal coming into the room. Trailing behind the older man was a young-looking boy of average height with brunet hair and round thin-rimmed glasses. The principal gestured to the boy as he addressed the teacher and students in the classroom. 

"This is Mr. Byun Baekhyun. He is a senior that is new to this school, so let's all do our best to make him feel welcome!" The new student bowed to the class as he was being introduced. Once the principal stopped talking, the boy raised up from his bow, soft hair bouncing a little as he smiled at the students in the classroom. "Nice to meet all of you. I will do my best to learn your names and get to know you so that we may enjoy speaking freely soon."

Chanyeol had been sneakily playing a game on his phone when the principal started talking. But when the tall boy heard the lilting voice of the newcomer, it sounded a little familiar so he put his phone away and straightened up in his seat to better see what this new student looked like. When he did, he quickly decided this day was going to be one he wouldn't forget for a long while.

The new boy was a looker, and definitely Chanyeol's type - not too short, not too tall, slight build with wide shoulders, a soft smile, bright sparkling eyes. Easily an 8-out-of-10 in his opinion. Of course, there was always room for improvement, so Chanyeol couldn't place him as a 10. Yet. 

"Welcome Mr. Byun! Sit wherever you'd like and we'll go ahead and get started. OK class, let's open our books to page 97. I'm assuming you all reviewed your worksheets last night..." The teacher's voice drifted into the usual monotone delivery as Chanyeol watched the new boy walk up the row towards the empty chair next to him. At the last minute the boy turned the other way and sat in an empty seat next to a dark-headed boy with thick-rimmed glasses that looked somewhat like an owl. That boy usually acted like he didn't want people to talk to him. To Chanyeol's amazement, the thick-glasses boy smiled nicely at the new boy and began showing him the worksheet the teacher had mentioned. The new boy nodded and leaned over to whisper about something as he pointed on the page. 

Chanyeol sat staring as the two of them interacted quietly, until the teacher suddenly decided to call on Chanyeol to answer a question. The lanky student acted as tho he wasn't surprised, and he answered the question easily, which seemed to amaze the boys sitting on the opposite side of the aisle. He smirked at both of them, which made the dark-headed boy blush and turn away, but the brunet only slightly raised his eyebrow then gave his own slight smirk and turned away. Chanyeol kept the wry smile on his face as he turned his attention back to the teacher's boring monologue.

This class suddenly became interesting.

When the bell rang to end the period, Chanyeol casually observed the new boy leaving the classroom with his new friend, but lost them in the flurry of students flocking in the hallways between classes. Not a big deal. He would probably see the new boy later.

Chanyeol slung his backpack over his shoulder and dumped his now-empty coffee cup into a hallway trashcan before entering a different room for the next class of his day. In this period it was easy to get away with playing games on his phone, so even though he took notes occasionally, he had something to entertain him as he dealt with another boring teacher.

The third class ended and Chanyeol slung his backpack over his shoulder once again, heading to the cafeteria. He bought a sandwich and orange juice, then headed outdoors to the commons area right outside. He put his backpack on the ground next to a large tree and plopped down. As he twisted open the top of his juice, a tanned boy with light brown hair ran over and sat down on the ground beside him.

"Hey Yeol. Is he here yet?"

Chanyeol swallowed a gulp of his orange juice. "Haven't had a chance to look..." He took a bite of his sandwich as the tanned boy beside him suddenly tensed up.

"There he is! Oh.. he's got someone with him today.." The excitement in the brown haired boy's voice gave way to curiosity laced with disappointment.

Chanyeol looked up at the window that looked in on the cafeteria. The dark-headed boy with thick-rimmed glasses was walking past the window with the new boy from before at his side. Both had smiles on their faces and were obviously deep in conversation. "Oh that new guy.. ? I think his name is Byun something.."

The brown haired boy nodded. "I thought he looked new.. Wait- You talked to him?"

"Nah. He's in my AP Calculus class." the lanky boy said, taking another swallow of orange juice.

"He looks pretty comfortable with my Soo.."

"He's not yours if you haven't asked him to be, .." Chanyeol scoffed as he took another bite of his sandwich. 

"Whatever.. He will be soon. Anyway, what's with this new guy..? You don't usually give a about learning newbie's names. You into him or something?" The brown haired boy wiggled his eyebrows as he leaned over to bump his friend with his shoulder. 

"Wha-? What are you on about? The principal made a big deal about introducing him, so I had to pay attention - that's all.. Shut up!" Chanyeol leaned over, bumping his friend back with his shoulder. The two friends grinned at each other as they broke out into chuckles, continuing to bump each other back and forth a bit with their shoulders. The whole time they didn't realize there were two sets of eyes sitting side-by-side and watching them through the window. 

About twenty minutes later the bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch period. Chanyeol got up, dusting off his pants. "Come on Nini.. let's get to class."

"I told you not to call me that!" the tanned boy swiped at his friend but missed as Chanyeol sidestepped smoothly, still grinning.

"Ok, Mr. Basketball- oof!" He hadn't counted on his friend swinging back with the other arm, which had collided with his stomach. "Easy there JONGIN..!"

The brown haired boy laughed without remorse. "Serves you right! And YOU'D be Mr. Basketball if you'd just give in and join the team already!"

Chanyeol just laughed as he looped his arm over his friend's shoulder. "Nah, I get enough exercise pushing my luck. I don't need a coach yelling at me every time I don't show up for a couple of extra hours of torture every day!"

"YoUr ToO sMaRt FoR tHaT~!" Jongin mocked as the two continued laughing. "Yeah, yeah... Let's get that huge brain of yours to class before we're late.."

Chanyeol agreed by directing them into the school building with his backpack slung on one shoulder and his other arm still slung loosely over his friend's shoulder. The two sets of eyes were among many now that appreciated the view of the good-looking guys as they left the area.

Chanyeol and Jongin maneuvered around the rush of students leaving the cafeteria and making a ruckus at the lockers and doorways as they headed to their World History class. They settled into the last two seats in the back of the classroom and pulled out their tablets. It was easier than carrying heavy textbooks or having to deal with lockers, and both boys had talked their parents into buying the tablets to use for their classes.

Jongin slept as the teacher droned on in the lecture, and Chanyeol thumbed over his tablet as he let his mind wander. His next class would be AP Music Appreciation. That was his last class every day, and the most enjoyable for him. It was an auditioned class and wasn't exactly easy, but he liked the challenges the course gave him and he often felt the time went by entirely too fast. He hoped in the future to be a music producer, and that class gave him better understanding of the music world while also providing more college credit hours. Plus sometimes he got to play instruments or sing. A perfect win-win in his opinion.

As the tedious lecture on World History started to draw to a close, Chanyeol deliberately bumped the chair of the sleeping tanned boy, waking him with a jolt. As soon as his friend sat up and wiped the drool from his face, the bell rang to indicate the end of the period.

"You've got that time-keeping down to a science. Were you a clock in your past life or something?" Jongin grumbled good-naturedly as they left the classroom.

Chanyeol chuckled but didn't reply as they made their way through the usual disjointed swarm of students, down a long side corridor and around a sharp corner. By this point the crowds had thinned out so there was less chance of being bumped by a random student. However, Chanyeol still felt someone bump into him, almost deliberately. 

"Oh! I'm so sorry Chanyeolee~!" the faked sugary voice made Chanyeol roll his eyes before he turned slightly towards the girl. 

"Taeyeon.."  he responded, showing no emotion. 

"Are you ok? Did I hurt you?" the girl continued, putting her expertly manicured hands on Chanyeol's bicep and chest area. She blinked innocently at him.

"I'm fine." he said, looking disinterested as he started to turn away.

"Are you sure?" The flirty tone was unmistakable, but before the girl could do anything else, her hands were swatted away by the brown-haired boy. 

"He said he's fine." Jongin gave the girl a cold look and then turned and followed Chanyeol who had walked away towards the Music Room at the end of the hall. The girl scowled as she followed them and started to say something again, but Chanyeol held his hand up in an action to shush her. His attention wasn't on her, but on the scene that was visible from the open door to the classroom. 

Inside, the boy with the thick-rimmed glasses was standing beside a piano and singing along with the new boy, who was also playing the piano, accompanying them. Their voices blended in perfect harmony and the notes of the piano piece wove in and around them beautifully as they sang.The overhead lights shown off the new boy's glasses. The teacher and several students were sitting in the classroom, watching the enchanting scene. Chanyeol stood riveted as he watched just outside the doorway. 

As soon as Jongin saw what was going on he had to stifle a squeal. "That's my- mm!" He whacked Chanyeol on the arm then wiggled in excitement as he tightly gripped the sleeve of the taller boy. None of the onlookers could take their eyes off the boys at the piano.

The girl behind them huffed in frustration from being ignored, then huffed again and stomped her foot after seeing what was taking the attention off of her. As the song came to an end and those watching in the room erupted into applause, the girl abruptly pushed in between the two guys at the door to go into the room and claim a seat. She watched with critical eyes as the two boys at the piano bowed briefly. Chanyeol and Jongin just stood at the doorway, both entranced at what they had seen.

The teacher walked up to the boys at the piano. "You've both proved you belong in this class. Thank you Mr. Byun for convincing Mr. Doh to come and try out. Up until you came along he's resisted auditioning, even tho he obviously belongs here. And you do as well!"  The teacher then turned towards the doorway. "Mr. Park! Nice of you to join us.. and Mr. Kim, I believe you're late for practice!"  Jongin jumped guiltily from being singled out and he bowed quickly before rushing off towards the gym.

Chanyeol entered the room and placed his backpack on the floor as he sat in a seat near the front along the wall. The rest of the students all found their seats as the bell rang, and the teacher sat down at the piano. "Now.. Who can tell me the difference between these two chords?" he asked, playing two chords carefully and with a little space between them.

As one student raised their hand to give the answer, Chanyeol turned in his seat to get a little more comfortable. His eyes unexpectedly met with the hazel ones of the new boy who apparently had been staring from diagonally behind him. The taller tried to play it cool with a slight smirk. That was met by a smirk and a slightly raised eyebrow from the boy, who slowly turned his head back towards the front of the classroom, keeping his gaze until the last second.

Chanyeol felt a little unnerved. He couldn't explain it, but without speaking a word to him, this kid had his attention. 

"...And yes, it DOES sound a bit different when played on the guitar. Mr. Park, would you care to assist us by giving a demonstration?" Chanyeol snapped out of his puzzled daze as he heard his name being called by the teacher.

The lanky student got out of his seat and made his way over to two guitars propped on stands next to some stools in the corner of the room. Carefully taking the acoustic, he sat on a stool and propped his leg up to set the guitar at a comfortable level to play. Some of the students in the room were already making swooning noises and actions, but he ignored them and looked over at the teacher. The teacher played a chord then indicated for Chanyeol to play as well. He easily played the same chord.

The teacher nodded. "These chords are often found in Jazz compositions. Care to join me in a little demonstration, Mr. Park?"

Chanyeol gave a grin as he adjusted his hair back out of his eyes a little. The teacher started playing a jazzy sounding melody on the piano and Chanyeol waited a second then jumped in with a counter melody, both players deliberately emphasizing whenever they played either of the chords the teacher had just discussed with the class. After a minute they finished with a flourish and most of the class broke out into applause, with a couple of whoops for good measure.

Chanyeol placed the guitar back on the stand and gave a short bow before heading back to his seat. Once again his eyes met hazel ones, and the new boy gave a slight nod as he continued to applaud along with the other students. The teacher raised his hand to regain order and stop the clapping, and both boys turned their gaze back to the front of the room.

If Chanyeol had looked a little longer he would have seen the dark-haired boy nudging the brunet and them giggling quietly together a second. Chanyeol didn't notice, but the girl sitting a little further back in the room certainly did. 

The class progressed smoothly, with the time seeming to pass quickly like it always did in Music Appreciation. All too soon the bell was ringing to show the end of the period, and the students began gathering their belongings to leave. The eager chatter of the students mixed with the noises from those already in the hallways leaving from other classrooms. 

Chanyeol gave a polite smile to the teacher and grabbed his backpack, slinging it over his shoulder as he stood up. Having been seated near the door, he was able to get out of the room quickly. He made his way to the far wall so as to avoid the rest of the students that were filling the hallways. As he turned to leave the area, he noticed the new brunet and the dark-headed boy talking animatedly as they left the classroom together. Chanyeol paused just long enough to be behind the pace of the two boys, but as the three made their way down the hallway his long legs soon made him overtake their slower walking.

By the time they got to their lockers, the taller had made the turn past them, headed towards some side exit doors. If he had turned around, he would have seen the new boy being scolded by his dark-headed friend for staring at the back of the lanky-limbed senior a little too long. 

Chanyeol felt the usual weight of eyes on him as he made his way through the doors and out to the parking lot. When he got to his car he saw a note written on pink paper stuck under the windshield wiper. Chanyeol scoffed. A few gasps from onlookers were heard as he retrieved the paper and glanced over it, but then disappointed sighs were heard as he folded the paper a couple times and tossed it into a nearby garbage can. This was nothing new, since everyone knew the BMOC didn't bother with romance. He may occasionally flirt, but it was never serious, and he never let anyone in, romantically. The writer of the letter never had a chance. 

A group of girls in designer clothes stood in the doorway of the side exit, and a certain one huffed as she watched Chanyeol drive away.