Chapter 2: CAMP HALF-BLOOD

The Twelve Half-bloods and the Cursed Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"So you're telling me I am a child of Zeus? As in Zeus, Zeus? The greek guy?" Yujin asked as they were walking the street. After the "Harpy incident" and the golden mark on Yujin's wrist, they quickly went out of the school led by Sakura. The two were convincing them to come with them to a camp, a place Yujin and Hitomi has no idea what it's all about. The two clueless girls didn't protest, they just keep on following Chae and Sakura as they fill them with a group of questions.

            "I have told you that for a thousand times, Yujin! You have the mark of a lightning bolt, that is Zeus' symbol! And you don't just call a god, especially your father a greek guy if you don't want him to roast you from the sky," Chaewon gritted her teeth, frustrated at the endless questions Yujin throws at her.

            "How am I supposed to believe someone named Zeus is my father? Mom told me dad died even before I was born! In a car accident!" Yujin turned to face Hitomi, who was silently following them as she listened to their arguments. "Do you believe in what they're saying, Hii?"

            Hitomi shook her head.

            "See? Even Hiichan don't believe that nonsense thing you're saying," said Yujin. Annoyed, Sakura who was being followed by the group stopped walking and faced Yujin.

"Call your mom," she said.

            "What?" she raised a brow.

            "You don't believe us, do you? Then call your mom and ask her about your dad," told Sakura, crossing her arms as she waits for Yujin to pick her phone. Yujin who was still bemused, took her phone from her pocket and dialed someone. It only took three rings before her mom picks up. 

            "Hey sweetie, what made you call?" her mom greeted. 

            "Mom, you know Sakura and Chae, right? They once visited our house with Hitomi," she replied.

            "Yes, of course, your lovely friends. What's the matter?" Yujin took a peek at her three friends, watching her as she talks to her mom.

            "Well, a lot of things happened today. Earlier at the school field, I don't know if you're going to believe this but I saw a bird with a human face, and I suddenly had a gold tattoo in my wrist, and now Chaewon and Sakura are telling me I am a daughter of the sky god. They're crazy, don't you think so yeah?" Chaewon chuckled at what Yujin said, it was as if a child was complaining to her parents about a school bully. 

 The other line remained silent, so Yujin called to her once more. Mrs. Ahn sighed, "Go with them, dear. You'll be safe at the camp."

            "You too, mom?" she replied. 

            "Look, Yujin. I'm sorry I hid it from you, but I did it for your own sake. Now, go. You'll know everything once you reach the camp, I will be fine. I love you, sweetie. Always take care," said her mom and dropped the call. Yujin tried dialing her number again, but to no avail, it cannot be reached anymore. Sakura continued walking again, and the other three came after her. 

            "Then where is yours? And does Sakura have one, too?" she said as she looked at Chaewon. "What?"

            "The mark." Chaewon rubbed her right wrist, slowly revealing her golden tattoo shaped with a symbol of trident. Poseidon's. 

            "Every demigod has one, Yujin. We only covered it up using a cream so others won't see. Even Sakura too," she answered and looked at Sakura, the girl already revealing her wrist, a golden owl. 

            "I am a child of Athena, the goddess of wisdom," Sakura stated, and they went on walking. They halted at a bus stop, waiting for the vehicle to arrive. Yujin remained silent as they wait, not because all her questions are answered but because she couldn't believe what was happening before her eyes.

            "Wait, guys," They all looked at Hitomi, Sakura raising a brow, as if asking her a "What is it this time, Hii?" question. Hitomi breathed in and out, still trying to process everything that has happened an hour ago.

            "If... If you're saying Yujin is a half-blood because she has a mark, then why did you bring me with you? I don't have those..." she continued.

            "What did you see?" Sakura replied but Hii was confused at her question, so the Athena kid added, "Earlier at the school field, what did you see?"

            "I... I don't know," she answered. Chaewon gave her a pat on her head, caressing Hitomi's hair to calm her down. She understands the two, though. It's hard to sink in your mind all the things you once believed is surreal in just one day. 

            "You saw a bird with a human's female face, didn't you?" Chaewon asked, Hitomi giving her a slow nod as a reply.

            "Have I gone crazy?" she whispered under her soft breath, loud enough for Chaewon who was beside her to hear. 

            "No, but you saw through the mist, Hii," she said. The other girl dotted her with another confusing look, it was as if she came back to being a baby. Not understanding anything Chaewon and Sakura says.

            "That one earlier is called a Harpy, a hideous creature that punishes anyone who have sinned. You noticed earlier that our classmates thought it was raining, didn't you? It wasn't really raining that time, but the mist did it for the mortals. So they can never find out about our world," she explained. A bus arrived in front of them, and the girls went inside and sat at the back seat as the bus went off.

            "But how did I see through what you say is mist? Does that mean I am one of you, too?" another question was thrown. Chaewon nodded her head to Hitomi and smiled.

            "You have a blood either of a god or a goddess, Hitomi. It's just that you're still not claimed, so we have to wait until your godly parent claims you and gives you a mark. Signifying you are his child," this time, it was Sakura who answered. She rested her head at her chair's backrest and closed her eyes. "We're thirty minutes away from the subway station, no one should wake me up until then. I am tired," she added.

            "Why did mom never told me about this?" another question came out of Hitomi's mouth.

            "The more you know, the more you attract monsters," Chaewon answered. Yujin slowly nodded at the Poseidon kid's reply, now she understands why her mom hide it from her. 

 The three other girls remained silent while Sakura is in a deep slumber, they were all exhausted after all. The bus' engine and the passengers' chattering are the only sound you can hear, Yujin reached for her bag and took her water bottle out to suppress her thirst until she realized something.

            "Chae?" she called. Chaewon looked at her and asked her why, Yujin rose her bottle up. "Can you show me your water bending skills again?" she asked.

            "Water bending skills? It's called hydrokinesis, Yujinnie. I got it from father," she replied while shaking her head. Chaewon swished her fingers up, and the water inside the bottle came out of its container. She moved her fingers in a circular motion, to which the liquid understood and played around, forming a circle. Chaewon flicked her index finger to Yujin's direction, and the water flashed on her face. Hitomi let out a laugh at the sight of Yujin's wide eyes and opened mouth, shock at the surprise splash of water Chaewon gave her.

            "I told you to show me, not practice it on me," Yujin rolled her eyes.

 Hitomi glanced around the bus to observe in any of the passengers had notice what Chaewon did, but all of them were busy with their own business. Some are absorbed with their phones; others are asleep while the rest are just talking to each other. 

            "Not to worry, Hii. They won't see what I did even if they look to our direction," said Chaewon. Hitomi pressed her lips together and realized why. 

 Mist. 

            "Where are we headed to, anyway?" Yujin, who has just finished wiping her face after Chaewon tricked her, asked as she looked through the window, trying to familiarize the surroundings. 

            "We're going to the subway, that's the only transportation we can use to the camp," Chaewon answered.

            "Say, Chae. You haven't told us about this camp yet, what does it look like?" Yujin asked. 

            "Camp isn't really the exact word I can call it, perhaps it's like a school. Yeah, it's a school for those who have relations with the Greek mythology, they adopt kids like us to train and be prepared for quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter