Eclipse

Once In a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You were asleep the whole lecture, didn't get enough sleep last night?" Sooyoung teased. 

 

"Not really, I had a nice sleep last night," I assured her.

 

"Then what's with you sleeping in class?" she asked.

 

"I mean, the class was just extra boring today," I shrugged.

 

Sooyoung nodded in agreement with my statement.

 

We both walked out of the lecture room to meet our other best friend, Yerim, and go to our hangout place on campus which is the library. 

 

"As usual, I brought my Nintendo switch and some spare controllers," Yerim chimed as soon as we left the lecture room.

 

"Let's go!" Sooyoung said excitedly as she hastened her pace towards the library.

 

After a few minutes of walking to the library, we finally arrived and we all rushed in to get to our designated area, the bean bag section. The two of them ran to the part of the library that had the bean bags as soon as we arrived like I'm not kidding, they sprinted the out to the bean bags. All we, more like the two of them, do in our spot is eat, sleep and play games. I usually do my homework or just read some books. I just laughed at them bickering to get the most comfortable bean bag in our spot. As I was looking for a novel, 1984 by George Orwell, I happened to notice that there was a rather familiar figure hidden behind the fiction area.

 

"Isn't that Bae Irene?" a sophomore in my course asked his friend.

 

"Yeah, she's so pretty even when she's sleeping," the latter exclaimed, "Damn, why does she have to be so out of our league?"

 

"She's the sweetheart of SNU and I also heard that a lot of guys are lining up for her," the sophomore gossiped.

 

"Come on, let's scram. People are gonna think that we're creeps," the latter said patting his peer to leave.

 

And so they left, without their silhouette blocking my view, and there she was, Irene unnie. Unexpectedly, she was asleep with a book open wide on the table where she sat. I decided to just ignore her and went to find the novel that I was searching for. After a few minutes of trying to find the novel, I finally found it. I strut back to where we were supposed to hang out and decided to put down my things so that I wouldn't need to bring as much stuff as I already am while walking inside the library. 

 

"Do you guys want anything to drink?" I asked the two.

 

"I'll have an apple juice," Yerim chimed.

 

"Just some Sprite would do for me," Sooyoung chimed in too.

 

"Alrighty," I said as I walked away from the two.

 

I headed out of the library to get some of the drinks that they specifically wanted from the vending machine stationed just outside of the library. After obtaining their orders, I decided to buy a can of cold green tea. After purchasing the said items, I started to walk back to where the spot was but then I noticed that she was still there asleep and all. After a few moments of mentally fighting myself, I decided to approach the sleeping figure to check up on her and possibly remind her that she was to be at home by now since it's about 10:30 AM.

 

I grasped the cold can of green tea by the top lid and decided to tap it on the said figure's face. After a few seconds of touching her face with the can, she immediately jolted up and let out a little shriek.

 

"What was that for?" the figure complained.

 

"I saw you while going to my friends and I's hangout and thought that I should tell you that it's already 10:35 AM. Oh, and I bought this for you so that you would be more energized," I explained.

 

"Oh , sorry excuse my language. I fell asleep while studying for my Psychology test tomorrow. It's not my fault that Merzenich's case studies are so boring," she explained.

 

"Anyway, I can't go back to my dorm. My best friend's girlfriend is over and I don't want to be a third-wheel for the whole day, so I decided to just stay here and study," she shrugged. 

 

"I see, you wanna hang with my friends and me then? Our next class is not until like 4 PM or so," I offered.

 

"Hmm... I don't know. Are you sure that they'd be fine with me joining y'all for the day?" she asked.

 

"They'd be too busy playing Super Smash Bros to care," I assured.

 

"Okay fine, only until you go to class," Irene said.

 

I helped her in gathering her things by closing the books that were in front of her and neatly placed them on top of each other. I also slung her backpack onto my shoulders then passed her the drinks that I just bought and carried her books for her.

 

"Y-You don't need to carry those," Irene reached out to get her books and her bag from my arms.

 

"I insist, just carry the drinks for me," I assured her. 

 

She took the drinks as I told her and just proceeded to follow me with a pout on her face. I walked towards our hidden spot in the library and heard the two devils muttering some words.

 

"Come on, you cheated! Yerim, you . Stop pushing me off of the ledge," Sooyoung said.

 

"It's not my fault you ! Stop blaming your incompetency on me," Yerim countered. 

 

"Oh shut up– welcome back, Seulgi unnie... Woah–" Sooyoung said with agape.

 

"Hey guys, this is Irene unnie. She'll be hanging out with us today so don't be your usual selves, capiche?" I taunted.

 

Irene waved at them both while both of them just looked at each other with their mouths open. They both then closed their mouths and knowingly looked at each other, while mouthing a few words at each other. 

 

"Don't mind them, they're just being the weird teenagers that they are," I assured Irene.

 

"I don't mind. I kinda like people like them," Irene chuckled.

 

"If you were in my shoes, you wouldn't. Trust me," I laughed.

 

"Irene unnie, right? Uhm are you studying here at SNU? If ever you are, what course? Are you single?" Yerim badgered Irene with questions.

 

"Yerim, one question at a time. But yes, she is a student here at SNU. She's taking up Psychology. And for the last question, you're making her uncomfortable. Are you okay, Irene unnie?" I answered her questions and faced her in concern.

 

"No no, it's okay. I'm alright, anyway what Seulgi said is true. And to answer your question, yes I am single," Irene explained.

 

"Tell us more about yourself, unnie," Sooyoung butted in.

 

"Well, uhh... I'm currently in my second to the last year of college and I was born on March 29, 1991. I came from Daegu. I'm currently working as a model of the jewelry brand Damiani. And I like tteokbokki," Irene said.

 

"Oh, Seulgi unnie loves tteokbokki too. She knows a place that sells the best, with emphasis on THE BEST, tteokbokki. It's not that far from SNU. Well, Yerim and I haven't been there because Seulgi unnie has yet to bring us there," Sooyoung pouted.

 

"Seriously? She said that she was a model for a jewelry brand and that was what you picked up?" I exclaimed.

 

"Well yeah, cause you always shut us out when you go solo for your tteokbokki runs!" Sooyoung snapped back.

 

"Come on, it's the only place where I can enjoy something without you guys blabbering and acting like kids," I complained.

 

"Blah blah blah, Yerim do you hear anything?" Sooyoung stuck her tongue out and plugged her ears using her fingers.

 

"See what I mean? Complete children," I faced Irene and questioned her.

 

Irene just laughed in response to my question. 

 

"But sure, I'll bring you there sometime," I told her.

 

The two just went back to their usual antics and went back to playing Super Smash Bros. It was just us two left who weren't preoccupied with something and being the social butterfly that I am, I decided to open up a conversation with my newly acquainted friend.

 

"Might be an awkward question but do you like music?" I asked her.

 

"I mean, who doesn't like music though?" she answered.

 

"Look, I'm just opening up a conversation with you," I said with a pout on my face.

 

"Yeah, I know. I was just playing with you," she giggled.

 

"Well, yeah I listen to songs like Red Velvet's Psycho and Candy. I also listen to other songs outside of KPOP, my favorite song right now is Fly Me To The Moon though," Irene continued.

 

"Same here but I don't know how you would be flown up to something nonexistent," I said.

 

"Well, I think the whole song is a metaphor. Since we all know that the moon does not exist, perhaps Sinatra wanted to say that his love for his muse was so intense to the point that it would seize the nonexistent," Irene explained. 

 

"I guess I never thought of it like that, it does make sense. But au contraire, I think he just wanted to say that he wants to be flown to something that doesn't exist. It doesn't make sense 'cause why would you want to be flown to technically nowhere. Which makes it seem that he wants to be left in space alone," I explained.

 

"Well I think we have different interpretations of the song but that doesn't mean that either of our interpretations is wrong since music is kind of subjective," Irene smiled.

 

"Opposites attract unnies!" Yerim interrupted.

 

"Oh shut up, Yerim," I scolded her while Irene was laughing with a slight blush on her face.

 

"I'm sorry about that. As I said, they're literal children," I apologized.

 

"It's okay," Irene nodded.

 

"Since it's only like 11:15 AM right now and our next class won't be until 4 PM. Wanna go for that tteokbokki run?" I suggested.

 

"I can't say no to tteokbokki but won't they notice that we're gone?" Irene asked.

 

"Nah, they wouldn't they would be either too busy shouting at the top of each other's throats or flirting with each other," I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter