I see me

the art Of eye Contact
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was Monday and Chanyeol suddenly felt he didn’t want to go to office today. How was he going to explain he found his soul mate over the weekend? He could just use his “Boss” authority to keep the team shut. But he didn’t think he could do that. His head was aching thinking about all of these. And for the day, Chanyeol decided to wear sunglasses to work.

 

“Good morning Manager Park….” The last part of Yeri’s greeting kind of faded away.

 

“Manager Park, you’re wearing that inside the room.” Sooyoung says, and Chanyeol gulps.

 

“Ahh.. I caught an eye infection over the weekend. So..”

 

“Ah.. eye infection?” Both Sooyoung and Yeri nod their head in acknowledgement. And before they could say anything more, Chanyeol rushed inside his office room.

 

Dinner date came three days later.

 

New message: Byun Baekhyun

Chanyeol-ssi, do you have any plans for tonight?

 

Chanyeol received the text at 5.30 pm. And he replied as soon as he finished reading the text.

 

To: Byun Baekhyun

No, nothing other than going home after office.

 

The reply came almost instantly.

 

From: Byun Baekhyun

Can we grab dinner today? My treat.

 

Chanyeol laughed a bit, but replied anyway.

 

To: Byun Baekhyun

Yeah, sounds good.

 

The next text was the location of the place he was going to meet Baekhyun.

 

 

Baekhyun just barged into Yifan’s bar the day before, after his class ended at the art academy.

 

“Hey Baek, good thing you came on your own, I was going to call…” Yifan’s speech halts at before finishing and his jaw drops. There was Byun Baekhyun, standing right in front of him with both of his eyes being ashy blue.

 

“I met him.” The shorter male replies. His breathing ragged and eyes looking hazy. But Yifan keeps quiet, knowing the other male is going to open up sooner or later.

 

“Oh…Is that so?” Yifan says as he wipes down a glass and puts a drink in it for Baekhyun.

 

“Ah.. You have to sing today. Please.” Baekhyun says after a sip.

 

“The group coming over reserved the whole bar and especially requested a singer.”

 

“So where’s your regular one?” Baekhyun asks

 

“Oh he called in sick. But I’m sure he’s somewhere else, earning some extra cash.” The bar owner shakes his head dismissively.

 

“You should hire me as your singer then. I am becoming more and more frequent.” Yifan says nothing. He and Baekhyun have had the conversation countless times over the years, and he knows that Baekhyun will never be a singer here.

 

Baekhyun looks at the end of counter. Yifan had not removed the photo frame he had put in few days ago. He smiled a bit. The bell of the bar’s doorway jingled and Baekhyun got off his seat with the glass of drink in hand. Time to get to work.

 

 

Baekhyun waves at Chanyeol when he spotted the male coming in.

 

“I hope you like drinking soju.” Baekhyun jokes and the taller one smiles.

 

“Can’t really be a Korean otherwise.” Chanyeol replies.

 

They shares small talk.

 

How was the day?

 

How was work?

 

Baekhyun just wanted to ease up before asking the things he has been meaning wanting to ask.

 

“Do you have anyone you love?” Chanyeol chokes on his food at this question. A fit of coughing makes the tall male hunch forward. Baekhyun quickly passes him a glass of water.

 

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol asks, his lungs still burning.

 

“You know…Um.. Someone you love but now that I am here…”Baekhyun tries to put everything into a nice sentence, but fails.

 

“Baekhyun-ssi…If that was the case I would have asked you to stay away from me at the very beginning.” Baekhyun nods his head animatedly.

 

“Ah.. I see..” Both of them eat their dinner in silence.

 

“Do you have someone you love Baekhyun-ssi?” The said male looks the Chanyeol. The smaller male didn’t look the same he looked a few days ago on their first date. His ashy blue eyes looked, cold. His body posture stiff and shoulder tense. Baekhyun looked like he was in pain.

 

“I wonder Chanyeol-ssi…” Their “dinner date” ended with an awkward note, with Chanyeol having hundreds of questions in mind.

 

Some he loves, huh? Chanyeol felt like laughing at the question. How many times has it been that Chanyeol thought he was in love? He can’t help but slip deep into these thoughts.

 

“I’m sorry for being like this tonight…. I just had a rough time.” Baekhyun finally says, Chanyeol’s chain of thoughts breaks.

 

“You should call me then.” The shorter male looks at him, surprise evident in his eyes.

 

“You should call and talk to me.” Chanyeol says again.

 

“I can..?” Baekhyun asks with a hint of disbelief in his voice. Laughing at the reaction, Chanyeol replies.

 

“Of course.”

 

Chanyeol slammed the empty glass on the table. Sehun was smirking at his pathetic state.

 

“Got dumped again?” Chanyeol glares at his friend.

 

“None of your business.” He grumbles a reply.

 

“Of course it is. You are my best friend after all.”

 

“She said she didn’t feel the pull anymore.” Chanyeol replies, his face red with the amount of alcohol he has put in his system.

 

“Dude, you knew this was going to happen. She wasn’t your soul mate.”

 

“But I really thought she would! We had such a great chemistry!”

 

“Yeah, chemistry that led into explosion.” Sehun says getting up from his seat.

 

“Come on, enough drinking for tonight. I’m dropping you at your home.” Sehun says as he drags the drunk male out of the bar.

 

“How many times does this one make?” Chanyeol was asked after being in the car for a while.

 

“I lost count.” He replies and Sehun sighs. His friend didn’t know what fling was and always ended up having deep emotional attachment with the people who were bound to leave him.

 

“I am tired Sehun-ah…” The drunk male suddenly says.

 

“All I wanted was to lean onto someone.” Chanyeol’s voice waivered. Neither of talked anymore.

 

What Chanyeol didn’t say that, he was cheated on.

 

“You could have just broken up with me! Why did you cheat?”

Chanyeol remembers his own voice ringing in his ear.

 

“ing grow up Chanyeol! I am not your ‘soul mate’ girlfriend.” The girl he had been dating for almost a year spats, collecting her clothes from the floor.

 

 

“And why care so much about me anyway? My supposed ‘soul mate’ ing died without even showing up before my eyes!”

 

But Chanyeol was ready to fill that void in her heart. But seems like she wasn’t ready to receive that love yet. True. Chanyeol never learns. She had warned him beforehand. But when she started to give him a bit more attention, he thought, maybe, maybe this time he can work it out with her. Cause his parent worked out just fine.

 

It’s not like he had to have a soul mate, right? And what’s the point of waiting for your ‘chosen one’ to appear anyway?

 

didn’t want to live in the fear that before he knew it his eyes would turn grey. His soul mate will be lost as probably someone else’s lover.

 

 

But Chanyeol never learnt how he can avoid getting emotionally attached to someone. At this point of life, Chanyeol had stopped reaching out to people and trying to risk his sanity and balance his life with fate. He was tired. Tired of looking for a shoulder he could lean on. Tired of thinking of someone as his own and then losing them. Why did people have to leave him like this? Couldn’t they just, stay? So what they had other people fated to themselves? A young Chanyeol never understood what having a soul mate meant. How was he supposed to? Even though he said he didn’t like the whole soul mate thing, he too was searching for the person destined for him.

 

It’s weird. Now that he has met his soul mate, he can’t help but be excited. What kind of person Baekhyun is. What kind of food he likes to eat. How he sleeps, how he talks when he’s happy. Chanyeol felt like a teen ager again. He felt excited. He was an adult for god’s sake!

 

 

“Mom..”

 

“Yeollie! How is my baby doing?” Chanyeol smiles at his mother’s voice. She never fails to make him feel warm with her sweet talk.

 

“You said you would come home last Thursday!”

 

“Yoora kept on waiting!” His mother scolds.

 

“I even started making dinner for you.” She keeps on talking for a while long. And stops when she realized the person on the other line weren’t talking.

 

“Yeol-ah..” She softly calls out.

 

“Do you have something to talk to me?” The mother asks, knowing that her son has something in his mind.

 

“Mom…” Chanyeol stops and takes a deep breath.

 

“I…”

 

“You..?” Mrs. Park feels her own heart racing, she didn’t understand what her son was going to say.

 

“Mom I found him.” He hears his mother’s breath stuck.

 

“I found my other eye.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t say much. He had nothing to say, to be precise.

 

“His name’s Baekhyun.”

 

To: Byun Baekhyun

Baekhyun-ssi, I told my family about you today.

 

Chanyeol doesn’t know why he was texting this to Baekhyun. But he wanted to let the other man know. He doesn’t know what kind of relationship they are going to have in future, but he wants his soul mate to at least have a good relationship with his family. This should be a start.

 

New message:

From: Park Chanyeol

Baekhyun-ssi, I told my family about you today.

 

Baekhyun reads the text twice. Then remembers he didn’t inform his parents either. But then, what difference would it actually make? He hoped it actually will. So he just puts an extra pair of clothing in a slack bag, and hops in the bus to his hometown five hours away from Seoul.

 

Baekhyun’s wrist watch read exactly 6 AM in the morning. His mother gets up at 7.30. Contemplating whether or not he should knock right now or an hour later, Baekhyun does the first. It probably is two minutes later, Baekhyun hears soft sounds of someone coming closer to the door. The artist takes a deep breath, preparing himself for what’s going to come.

 

Mrs. Byun’s sleep was rudely taken away by the doorbell. Getting up from the bed, she softly makes her way to downstairs, thinking about possible people who can be at their house at such hour in the morning. But the person outside was the least one she expected. There standing was Baekhyun, with the slack bag he always carried since his high school, and the tired smile gracing his lips.

 

“Umma.. Good morning.” Mrs. Byun felt her legs give up as the morning sun falls over her son’s cheeks and eyes. Those eyes! Dear lord those eyes!

 

Mrs. Byun slowly closes the door of her son’s room. Not quite grasping on the truth yet. Last time Baekhyun came home like this was when…..

 

Baekhyun had cried as soon as he got the sight of his mother. And he cried for days straight. . She thought her child would never get out of that. Today, when she looked into her son’s eyes, she cried in relief. In thankfulness.

 

“Baekhyunnie..Wake up.” Baekhyun feels his mother running her fingers through his hair. His eyes flutter open.

 

“Wake up, have breakfast.” Mrs. Byun leaves the room after the sleeping male sits up, clearly awake from his sleep.

 

Mrs. Byun puts the bowl of rice on the table when Baekhyun enters the dining area.

 

“Sit.” She pulls the chair for her child, and like an obedient son, Baekhyun does so.

 

“You should have at least texted me that you were coming.”

 

“I could have prepared something better for you.”

 

“I just… felt like seeing you. So I just t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter