Silencia

Death of a Princess

The heat was strong today, just above the dreaded 100° Fahrenheit mark on the thermometer. Jiho dressed appropriately for this midsummer weather, revealing her slender white arms in a sleeveless blouse, with a long loose skirt that clung just enough to make her feel safe. Stepping aboard the coach, she was blasted with a welcome current of air conditioner wind. As soon as she exchanged greetings with the driver she turned around to take one last glimpse of her mother.

 "Remember our deal, mom."

 "Don't you worry- now go and make the Motherland proud," she added with a shooing gesture.

The bus doors closed and it began moving at a relatively quick pace down the block. Walking briskly towards the back, Jiho strained her neck to catch one final glance of the woman she loved so much. Unfortunately for her, she was too late. Her head hung limp in disappointment as she chose the empty seat at the hintermost end. Eventually her eyes drifted toward the sights outside the window that remained shut.  

 "I wonder why everything has to look the same. The houses, the lawns and hedges..."

 On occasion she would spot a person coming out their home, but none that seemed even remotely familiar to her; they had passed her neighborhood since around several miles now. She peered at the passengers, all young people like herself that anticipated the advent of adulthood as they entered the workforce. Some would remain here, some would be moved to other districts, even abroad, and surely at least one other would be shipped out into space like herself. The bus made its scheduled stops along the way to the Inner Circle, and with each stop a new passenger would board. It was only a matter of time before the shuttle would be filled to capacity.

The dreaded moment came for Jiho when a stranger took the seat beside her. A beautiful young girl such as herself with round eyes, medium height- again identical to hers- and a healthy tan complexion occupied the neighboring seat.

 "Hi," she greeted. 

 Jiho forced a smile and nodded, quickly resuming her task of staring outside. She would spend the rest of her trip in sweet silence if she were given the chance, but alas, you cannot control others.

 "Big day today, right?"

 "Yeah," Jiho said in a low voice. 

 She avoided her eyes for as long as she could until her neighbor stretched out her hand.

 "My name is Jennie."

 "I'm Jiho," she replied, complying to formality as she shook Jennie's hand. It was damp she noted. Jiho forced a grin as she inhaled a large breath through her nose. It would not do, but as soon as she had the opportunity, she would wipe dry her hand on her skirt.

 "Nice to meet you, Jiho," the girl answered with a smile of her own.

 Something about her voice irritated Jiho. She knew it was wrong, but you just can't help it sometimes. "Same here."

 An intermission between their conversation, if it can be thus called, followed. It was soon interrupted by Jennie who began a litany of questions.

 "No, I wasn't selected to remain here. I will be sent out to space after training I presume."

 "Ohhh, that's swell! I got chosen to be a mechanic so I think I'll stay here. Wait," Jennie exclaimed with what seemed an exaggerated gasp, "did you say you'll be a soldier?"

 "Essentially, yes."

 "My uncle was a soldier," Jennie continued with a loud voice. 

Everyone stared back to find the boisterous passenger. Not even a split second and all eyes were casted upon Jiho and her companion. Her cheeks were flushed with a red tinge but Jennie was oblivious to all the attention they were given. She kept babbling on about how great a soldier her uncle was, extending the frontiers of the Motherland to two distinct planets.

 "Jimmy," Jiho said with a pat on her neighbor's thigh.

 "My name is Jennie. Don't you remember? But what is it?"

 Following a groan, Jiho whispered, "I think you're being too loud. Everyone's looking."

Jennie gasped and without warning became very vocal about her disruptive conduct, "I'm sorry, you guys and gals. I was just talking to my new friend Jiho. She'll be a soldier."

 "Congratulations!" the bus driver interjected with a booming voice. "But please be courteous and respect this hallowed moment of transition."

Jiho squeezed her eyes shut and for a moment pretended she was back home. Although she had expressed interest in Jennie's anecdotes regarding her uncle, it was all a farce. Her mind had kept returning to her mother and whether she would keep her oath to stop taking the pills. The pills prepared a person for the Promise, and without them Jiho assumed a person would be denied entry into that holy land. It was a good deal she had struck with her mother. Becoming a soldier seemed like a bargain exchange for her mom to stop taking those pills.

When her eyes finally opened they landed on her companion's knees that kept clashing against another. She was nervous just as she was. No wonder her yapping was incessant. She was desperately finding ways to distract herself from the anxiety of taking a job. Filled with pity, Jiho took out a book she had intended to read from her bag and extended it to Jennie.

 "If you read, it might take your mind off things."

 "Thanks." Jennie wiped her palms on her pants and accepted the book with an awkward smile. It was quite obvious to Jiho that she was no reader by the way she flipped through the pages.

 "You know, I'm very scared, " Jennie sighed, snapping the book shut. "I'm just going to work on cars and maybe ships but I feel like I'm going to some far off land, to the middle of nowhere and be stuck there the rest of my life."

 "It can't be all that bad." Jiho paused to think. "You'll eventually become well acquainted with everyone there and will not be alone."

 "'The Motherland will never forsake you', I know but still... I feel nervous. Imagine you, though. If I'm terrified at being a mechanic, think about yourself! You're going off into the void of space and visit strange lands filled with who knows what kind of humans live there- maybe ugly creatures too."

Jiho felt like a failure. She had tried to comfort Jennie and now her words manifested the dread of fear in her. She had reverted to consider whether the existence of Death and Decay, those two wicked monsters, were real or not.

 "Your uncle never told you about these two enemies called Death and Decay?" she asked on a venture in a small whisper.

 Jennie swayed her head, "He saw scary things he says, but those two names don't ring a bell."

 Countless stops passed and a total of two hours elapsed before the coach reached one of eight main roads that led to the Inner Circle. It was a collection of cyclopean buildings, their stature varying in height but all poking their tops above the clouds. They formed a perfect circle with a central plaza in the midst of them. In the middle of that plaza, flanked on either side with grass, flowers and trees, ascended a flight of stairs into the sky. At the end of those steps loomed a giant golden arch, the Iacobus Gate. Beyond that portal awaited the primordial garden, the Promise, and who knows just what delights exist therein.

The bus finished its course in a matter of minutes, stopping before an opened gate that admitted its visitors to one of many buildings. Here the conductor wished the passengers well as they exited and turned the vehicle around to drive off into another building beyond their field of view. It was a moment that pressed the heart to beat faster than usual when Jiho craned her neck upwards, in awe of the massive edifice ahead of her. All the youths did this, though for how long depended on the individual.

She clutched her handbag a bit tighter and walked past the gate into the building a small distance away. Jennie accompanied her of course, but she didn't mind. Once inside the spacious hall, they were greeted by screens the size of large billboards upon which read "Welcome, sons and daughters of the Motherland. Children, today you will be initiated into varying roles that will all contribute to the Motherland. We, like the different members of a singular body, have unique roles to play yet are all One. We are all responsible for one another as members of a great family."

 "Wait up," Jennie called out at Jiho. She had been lagging behind, reading the message while Jiho had finished a half minute ago.

 Acknowledging her request, Jiho ceased her stride and turned back. It wasn't out of rude impatience that she left her behind, but it was out of nervousness. She had to keep moving or else her anxiety would catch up and tempt her to run away. 

 "Where do we go now?" Jennie panted.

 "I forget but let's just follow the crowd."

 At the end of this roomy antechamber countless hallways diverged. People filed into every one of them, but for the most part into the middle corridor. Jiho recognized all her former companions walking into that specific path. Without further delay she continued into that one, Jennie at her tail. Once inside they would rest their feet as their soles landed on a conveyor belt that carried them ahead. 

After traveling a quarter of a mile upon that moving surface they crossed another two halls, keeping as close to the crowd as they could. It was a bustling scenario that finally met its end at a smaller chamber that forked into two paths. Jiho could feel her hands trembling and a fleeting lightheadedness as she gazed at the signs above the two corridors. "Local Affairs" and "Remote Affairs," they read. She knew where she was to go and that Jennie would now part from her.

 "I think you have to go to that one," she told her, pointing at the left-hand side.

Jennie's voice shook, "Yeah, I think you're right."

 "Goodbye."

 Jennie nodded, "I hope I can work on your mom's red car you mentioned. That way she won't have to depend on taxi services to travel."

 "Yeah," Jiho smiled.

Jiho saw Jennie off and just as she crossed the threshold, she glanced back one final time to wave goodbye; she eagerly reciprocated the gesture. Now alone, Jiho travelled along the right hallway. Her mind strayed after trivial thoughts- why the galleries were so long, why they had to cross so many chambers, why the walls were all vanilla in color and the floors white, why the a.c. was so strong and when her journey would end. About half an hour transpired when the din of shuffling feet ended abruptly. 

Here ensued a dreaded period of waiting, made worst by the congestion of the crowd that stuck closely together. Jiho could not move an inch in the line without accidentally bumping someone. During the two hour interim she was obliged to apologize and receive apologies from the person directly behind and the one in front. She was thankful that all were courteous however. A keener eye than hers would have perceived that it was on account of her beauty that they dealt so cordially with her.

As the line moved ahead she strained her neck in curiosity to see what next landmark would follow. It was a blue booth, attended by a duo of workers that stamped on the necessary papers of the young prospects. No wonder the line traveled so slowly; there were only two people who were completing the registration process in contrast to the dozens of people in the queue! Hundreds more joined the column behind her, prompting her to mumble a word of gratitude she was not chosen to take up this profession.

 "Miss, I think you're next," the boy behind her said as he nudged her side.

She was in a sort of daze, gasping with a start when the boy gingerly called for her attention.

 "I'm sorry, thank you!" she said shortly, bringing a smile to the boy.

Before the acrylic window Jiho softly laid her papers, done in a way that clearly communicated shame for the many creases that littered the letter notifying her summons. The heavy books flattened the paper out alright, but not enough to hide the fact it was crumpled into a ball once before.

 In a low voice with an abashed smile she said, "It says I'll become a soldier."

 The clerk cleared his voice with a raised brow. "I see that. Congratulations!" One stamp, two stamps, and he returned the file for her to keep as records. Then after inspecting her birth certificate and proof of completed educational programming, he stretched out the papers back to her. "I know you're nervous, kid, but it'll be smooth hereafter. Welcome to the next step in life. Welcome to the Peace-Walkers as our soldiers are collectively known."

 "Thank you, Mr."

 "Yeah, now," the clerk leaned forward and gestured what new path she should take, "Take the left aisle on the farthest side and then you'll wait for about a half hour or so until you're picked up at the lobby."

Just when Jiho had taken a step, the clerk gave a shout of encouragement and advised to not wrinkle official papers next time, which in turn prompted her to briskly walk on her indicated path. Advancing beyond the booth she was quick to note how Jennie's path converged with that of hers in this hall. She tried to spot her out but gave up the effort after several minutes, continuing on her way towards the gallery on the far left.

Within the new room she took a seat in the corner, studying the composure of those whose profession would be the same as hers. They were all stoic, some tapping their foot on the ground with arms crossed, while most were going over their files to distract themselves. 

Amongst the fifty or so there, there was only a handful of females- about fifteen or so. When one of these girls met her eyes, she quickly looked down. Thankfully, unlike Jennie, this one was not in want of social interaction.

The hundred or so seats were all filled in the passing of an hour and as the last person sat down, the lights dimmed. Next, large monitors descended from the ceiling on all four sides of the room. A small congratulatory message sounded out while a video flashed pictures of people and their different occupations. At last, the reel depicted the work of the soldier, or at least a preview. Jiho stifled a gasp when the tools of their trade were zoomed in on. 

It was a short video and as soon as it ended the lights turned back on to their former intensity and a door at the far end of the room swung inwards. In stepped a rough looking individual, of age, well muscled, and with a long blue-black mane that amplified his innate ability to intimidate. Flinging his hair behind his shoulders, he stared directly into the eyes of the prospects. Jiho averted his gaze and glued her eyes to the floor.

He called her out, "What is the Motherland? You in the sleeveless shirt and white hairband."

 Jiho bit her lips and begrudgingly stood up. Almost perfectly recited from her textbook, she answered, "It is our home. It is the heart of humanity and the habitation of peace. It is that which propels us forward in life, our sustainer and provider, our guardian and truest love."

 "Yes," the man concurred with a nod of approval. "And you see, the Motherland- you can sit down now."

 "Oh, sorry Mr."

 Jiho dropped to her seat and buried her hot face in her palms. She could still make out what Wonho, as he introduced himself as, said though.

 "The Motherland is life, peace manifested in this plane of existence. And as when one enjoys good fortune, blessings, and rushes to share their joy, so we seek to spread our peace across the vast expanse of space. Like a ray of sunlight are we, the Peace-Walkers to the darkness that surrounds us. It is this thought, this dream, if you will, that our forefathers envisioned. We will do that. We will spread our peace everywhere and you all will help."

Wonho called for applause and when only a few clapped, with a single glare, he repeated the command for everyone to join in. He then explained how they were to be distributed into three distinct branches, one for submarine/amphibious operations, one for terrestrial missions, and one for piloting/air operations. Those assigned to land missions made up the majority of all operations and were futher categorized into several sub-units, consisting of arctic, desert, and dense jungle/forest companies. Jiho was selected to be a Rocketfellow, the vanguard of all terrestrial sorties.

She was given a signet ring with the emblem of her corps (a Phoenix) on it by Wonho directly unlike the rest. While others were handed out their rings by selected prospects, he singled her out because of the impression she had left on him. 

 "Remember," he announced to everyone, "You did not choose to be here, but the Motherland chose you. Even if now it is hidden from you- the Motherland saw your inherent virtue, your strength and faith in her, and entrusted you with the glorious task of furthering her reach."