Two

Let it Storm

 


After a while, they found themselves yet again struggling to walk through the rain towards their parked car. There were many more parked behind theirs, parked without care to the other passengers. But Belen was left with no choice. She was tired, she was livid. She didn’t think twice before she drove over a bunch of decorative rocks and bushes, destroying the hotel’s lavish garden against securities’ protest. And soon, they were back on the road, driving through the rain. 

 

“I’m sorry” Belen told him, no preamble, and certainly no remorse. “This shouldn’t have happened”

 

“Is fine” He replied although the tone of his voice meant otherwise. “It’s not your fault”

 

One thing that Belen had learned from her nearly thirty years of life experience was that nobody who told that it wasn’t their fault upon being apologised to, actually didn’t mean it. Most of the time when they said that it wasn’t their fault, what was implied was that it actually was. 

 

She gripped her hands tighter on the steering wheel and peered through the crashing rain, her eyes narrowed against the flashing lights.

 

“It kind of is,” She admitted honestly. She was too tired to beat around the bush, and quite frankly, having spent nearly two hours in his presence, the fact that he was a world renowned celebrity had left her mind. Right now, Kim Sung Gyu was her burden and her responsibility.

 

Sung Gyu remained silent, staring ahead as the air around them seemed to grow thicker. Things weren’t going well between them.

 

“This wasn’t how it was planned,” Belen continued when she couldn’t take it anymore. “We had a nice cozy hotel booked for you in the city centre and vehicles and everything as your company asked for. But we didn’t know about the storm, you see? It had us short staffed, our plans ruined-,”

 

“I understand” Kim Sung Gyu quietly replied. 

 

Belen sighed heavily as she stared ahead. She was not convinced. Usually, idols of his type would have pent up frustration which they would later vent at the management, implying that it was always their fault. It wasn’t the fault of the idol’s company who hadn’t planned well, it wasn’t even the event management agency’s fault at the end of the day. It would ultimately become their fault, the measly staff who go out of their way to make them comfortable, yet to shoulder all the blame.

 

Belen was not about to take it, She would settle things for once and for all.

 

“I’m really sorry it didn’t go as planned, Sung Gyu-Ssi” She went on, finding her composure to remain professional, polite. “I’m really sorry for the inconvenience”

 

Sung Gyu let out a heavy sigh. “It is really fine”

 

Belen her lips and closed her eyes. Lightning struck hard in the dark blue sky before her. It was still barely past six, but the weather was nothing but a grim and angered beast.  

 

“We will take full responsibility,” She said again. She just didn’t feel right, he wasn’t fine and he was showing it. “We will pay for your accommodation tonight and perhaps give a-,”

 

“Manager-nim” Sung Gyu suddenly cut in, his voice tired but stern, and she quietened, surprised to be addressed by him for the first time. His eyes were cold and distant when they met hers. “It's really fine. What happened, happened. Right now I’m really tired, and I want to rest. So if we could please find a place to stay tonight that would be great”

 

“B-but…” Belen opened to respond, but when he ignored her and pulled out his phone, his concentration now nowhere near her, she realised that their conversation had ended. She stared at him for a second in complete disbelief. She never thought someone could be equally polite and rude and pompous at the same time. But Kim Sung Gyu was showing her things that she didn’t believe to exist.


 

In the end, they drove in silence for the longest time, Belen busy trying to find a hotel nearby and Sung Gyu seemingly lost in his own world. He was a strange person, Kim Sung Gyu. He was nothing like she thought he was. He was a lot more human than she thought, with little words and keeping more to himself, which, for the most part made his presence endearing. Their silence wasn’t exactly uncomfortable, but when she thought of how she couldn’t imagine what was running through his mind, her anxiety grew in multitudes. He must be cursing her in his brain for all she knew.

 

She contacted her manager over the phone a few times, but in search of accomodation, his support was of no use. They stopped at yet another hotel and this time she left him in the car with air conditioning while she went in and checked by herself. Unfortunately for them, it was, yet again, all booked in. They checked another, and then another. At some point, Sung Gyu tiredly and very much humanly suggested that they could book an airbnb.

 

“Don’t worry about the cost, it's just one night” He told her rather groggily, and much to her astonishment, she could see that he too was searching on his own phone. She didn’t expect that. She’d thought he’d leave it in her responsibility and blame her incompetence in the end.

 

“Airbnb?” Belen echoed incredulously. As much as it sounded a plausible choice, would their respective agencies hear about it, she’d be in a lot of trouble. “No, no no no. Not an option”

 

“Why not?” He groaned sleepily. And she was surprised by how he could still sound polite and speak formally even in that state. 

 

She glanced at him only for a second and shook her head. “Because this is a professional engagement, SungGyu-Ssi. It wouldn’t be right”

 

“T’s fine” He continued, his voice now so low as if he was about to drift off to sleep. “I won’t tell anyone”

 

“I’m sure you wouldn’t” Belen had no choice but to agree. “But I still have to report to my manager and I’d lose my job”

 

It wasn’t until they checked two more hotels that they decided to reduce the quality of their search. There weren’t many hotels in this area, and certainly most airport hotels were booked in. That left them with just a few choices which included, and was limited to; hostels and rented apartments.

 

Belen stopped the car on the side of the road to recollect herself. The storm had reduced only the slightest that the rain had ceased, leaving a heavy wind and thunder to compensate. She buried her face in both her hands and tried to think.

 

“If we stayed in a hostel, they’d murder me, if we stayed in an apartment they’d murder me and if we try to drive to the city, we’d be killed” She muttered to herself while Sung Gyu silently watched her having a mental breakdown. It probably wasn’t the finest sight to see, her dampened brown locks entangled in her hands and make-up probably smudged all over her face. Sung Gyu probably wouldn’t even consider returning to Manila again.

 

“Hostel or apartment is fine” He put in, all of a sudden; perhaps tired of putting up with her grumbling. Belen lifted her head and looked up at him.

 

“How so?”

 

“I wouldn’t tell anyone,” He shrugged.

 

Belen stared at him only to see if he was playing with her. She expected him to exclaim that he was kidding and that he’d sue her wouldn’t she find him a better place the very instance; but it never came. Instead, he just stared back at her, his small eyes drooping and his slightly wet blonde locks catching the light coming from the road.

 

“What if you did?” She asked him.

 

He just shook his head.

 

“How can you be so sure, SungGyu-Ssi?”

 

He shrugged. “I’m  tired. I just want to sleep” 

 

Belen thought about it, long and hard, her mind in a whirlwind. There was no point driving around if all hotels were going to be fully booked and if the highway wouldn’t open until morning next day. They were both tired, and the storm showed no signs of ceasing. He was right, if they hadn’t a choice, they’d have to take what was left.

 

“Fine” She sighed, finally straightening up on her seat. “We’ll take a hostel or an apartment, but we wouldn’t tell anyone”

 

Sung Gyu nodded tiredly.

 

Belen moved slightly closer. “We won’t tell anyone. This is going to be our secret, and we’d take it to our grave”

 

Sung Gyu nodded again, and when he glanced at her, for the very first time, she witnessed a ghost of a smile on his lips. Belen was baffled. He could actually smile, and he looked quite nice when he did.

 

“Agreed” He told her in response.


 

Eventually, Belen drove them to the first and the foremost Hostel that they could find. It wasn’t the best, yet it certainly wasn’t the worst. It's linoleum floors and modern upholstery appeared quite welcoming, so did all the visitor notices printed in cheerful wording and fun, funky colors. Behind the counter stood a pleasant young man in a T-shirt and jeans, a warm smile on his lips despite the difficult times.

 

Both Belen and Sung Gyu entered together, Sung Gyu as cautious as always, afraid to be found out. Thankfully for them, the lobby and the entranceway was devoid of people, save for the reception.

 

“Welcome!” the young man in the reception greeted them. “How can I help you?”

 

Belen glanced at Sung Gyu for support who blankly stood behind her. She supposed that his managers did everything for him; how burdensome.

 

“We just want to stay for the night...because of the storm” She explained. “What do you have available?”

 

After their hours of search, Belen realised that there was no point trying to find what they desired yet settle for the least.

 

The receptionist quickly skimmed through his options. “Well, we’re mostly occupied tonight...because of the storm. All our private room options are taken, and what we have left are four person mixed dormitories and six person mixed dormitories”

 

Belen did not like the sound of mixed dormitories. But given the time and circumstances, she wouldn’t have a choice either. So she decided to take input from the star of the night.

 

“They only have dormitories left” She hissed at him. “Four person and six person mixed”

 

Sung gyu didn’t take time before he responded. “I can’t share the room with a stranger”

 

Belen scowled. “I thought you were fine with hostels”

 

“I am” He sighed. “But I can't stay in the same room with somebody I don’t know. What if they recognised me?”

 

He had a very good point.

 

“Then what do we do?”

 

“They don’t have private rooms?”

 

She shook her head. “None”

 

Sung Gyu lowered his head as he contemplated his options. Belen did so on her own, and the only option that she could think of was selfishly booking one whole dormitory for him so he wouldn’t share and booking a single bed of another for herself.

 

But Sung Gyu certainly had better ideas in his mind. 

 

“Right,” he said after a while. “We don’t have much choice. Let’s take a four bedroom dorm”

 

“And? You said you didn’t want to share” She prompted on as it was evident he wasn’t done with his plan.

 

He looked at her and met her eyes. “You can share the room with me”

 

Belen widened her eyes. “What?”

 

“We could book a four bedroom dormitory-,”

 

“I got that part” Belen said, lifting her hand. “But you said that you didn’t want to share the room with a stranger”

 

“Because I didn’t want to be recognised” He cleared it out for her. “But you already know me”

 

“But-,” She argued in return. “How is it a good idea?”

 

“So we could book the whole dormitory for ourselves and nobody else could book another bed in the room” he explained.

 

Belen could only stare at him in response. He didn’t feel like a Kpop idol for a long while tonight. His silver hair didn’t bother her, them naturally conversing in korean in front of blatantly watching fellow Filipinos didn’t bother her as, for her, he just felt like an ordinary person who was nothing more than a responsibility. Yet, at that point as he made a completely outrageous suggestion, reality started to appear clearer than ever.

 

A kpop idol was asking her to share a room with him. Kim Sung Gyu of Infinite wanted her to share the room with him.

 

If it was Faye, she would have had a and died. 

 

“Chill, I keep to myself, I’m not interested” He informed her, and she gave him a sharp look.

 

“That’s not what I’m worried about,” She told him.

 

“I’m worried about the part which you’re worried about too,” He said. 

 

Belen was sure they were on the same page in that conversation. The pay wasn’t the problem, sharing the room slightly was, but wouldn’t be if she got a top bunk or if she wouldn’t sleep tonight. What did bother her was, how was she to sneak him out of the hostel in the morning with nobody identifying him? The storm had kept away the fans who’d have, in regular circumstances, flooded the arrivals gate at the airport; the storm had kept the interest turning on his direction as everyone was just struggling to survive.

 

But how would these things change come the next day when the storm was no longer there for them to take cover behind?

 

“But that would be tomorrow,” Sung Gyu replied dismissively. He seemed to talk more than before, appearing less sleepier as if the possibility of a good rest had given him an energy boost. 

 

Belen watched him for a moment, million thoughts in her mind. That was not her only concern. What would she tell her manager? What documents would she turn in? How could she possibly submit a bill from a hostel for a shared dormitory room which didn’t even have room service? She was sure sharing the room would be least of her worries, especially given that her manager and her entire office knew her better, that she’d never be the type. What she was risking there was her job for not providing him with the facilities that he desired.

 

But what other choices did she have?

 

“Are you sure about it, Sung Gyu-Ssi?” Belen bit her bottom lip anxiously.

 

“Yes” He nodded in return.

 

“Absolutely?”

 

“Absolutely”

 

If he was sure, then to the heck with it. Belen could probably get the receptionist to forge a bill for them or even make him bill for two private rooms instead of a dorm when then paid the next day. She could probably make things work.

 

And thus, she got them a four people dormitory as planned. They had to book the remaining two beds too, in order to keep other possible strangers away. Soon they were led to their room, which was two storeys up, a regular room with minimal furniture, no balconies but two wide windows and pastel blue walls. Belen wasn’t exactly fond of the obscure glass door of the bathroom which certainly displayed the silhouette inside and made a mental note to use it with lights off. The person from the reception helped them to unload Sung Gyu’s bags which they both had to carry to their room on foot. By the time they finally settled in, it was late into the night and rain had started to crash once more.

 

Sung Gyu rid himself of his cap and mask and even the hoodie while Belen pretended not to exist. He was in a long sleeved T-shirt underneath, which was probably why he wasn’t flustered, doing what he did. They didn’t talk to each other and Belen busied herself, talking to her manager and spewing lies while Sung Gyu quietly opened his bags and settled in for the night. By the looks of it, he was a very organised person. He had one bag separately for different items; for shoes, for clothes, for toiletries and whatnot. Belen was actually quite fascinated as she surreptitiously watched him retrieve items carefully from each of them.

 

When he came to the bag with shoes, he tutted and closed it back with a thud. Thankfully Belen was off the call with her manager at that time.

 

“Is everything alright?” She asked him, bringing back her professional manager persona. Judging by his expression of annoyance, she could tell that they weren’t.

 

“Slippers,” he told her, his voice a little grim. “I don’t have slippers”

 

Belene pursed her lips. She didn’t think it was something to be so upset about. Slippers were just slippers, and almost every hostel offered complimentary pairs of them. 

 

She got up from her chair and traversed the room to the door. Just as she guessed, by the lockers left for the four dorm room occupants, there was a pair of fresh complimentary slippers each. She picked up a pair and went over to Sung Gyu who sat on the floor in his socks. 

 

“Here you go”

 

Sung Gyu frowned at them as if they  offended him. 

 

“I can’t have those,” He told her.

 

“Then” she glanced at his partly closed case of shoes. “Didn’t you bring your own?”

 

“I had a pair,” he said grimly. “But I had to leave them with my Manager as he didn’t have any”

 

“I’m pretty sure these are good as new,” Belen pointed at the pair that she’d brought him. “We too wear slippers inside in this country, you know”

 

“Other people could have probably used them” He said and his voice was actually quite naggy, unexpected from how quiet and reserved he’d been the whole time before. She was baffled that slippers could actually make Kim Sung Gyu speak more.

 

“They probably had” Belen sincerely agreed. “But they must be cleaned for other people to use...they look good as new”

 

Sung Gyu shook his head, pulling his lips into a thin line like a sulky child. “I can’t wear them”

 

“And why not?”

 

Belen was one step away from changing her impression of him from kind of ordinary to extremely spoilt and entitled brat. 

 

“Because I have sensitive skin” He explained to her, his voice becoming whinier the more he spoke. “Wearing other people’s things give me skin irritation, and that includes slippers”

 

Belen couldn’t help but roll her eyes. She hadn’t heard anything more ridiculous for the life of her. She was right. No idol was an exception. They could all be a pain and a burden in their own way, they were all conceited and entitled and insane in their own way. 

 

“Maybe you could try,” Belen prompted on.

 

But Kim Sung Gyu wasn’t one to take any. He feigned her ignorance as he abandoned his case and climbed up on his feet. “Is there anywhere I could get a new pair of slippers nearby?” He said as he peered through the closed window out at the empty, stormy street.

 

“Tonight? Right now?”

 

“Yeah” He said distractedly, pulled out his phone and muttered under his breath as he possibly looked up for places that would accommodate his needs.

 

“But it's raining” It was her turn to whine. Belen despised the rain, yet she had been in it for longer than she wished. “All the stores and probably close by now”

 

He lifted his head from his search almost determinedly. “Probably not all,” He said. “We could ask the reception”

 

Belen raised her hands in question, standing over him in hopes that her appearing intimidating could change his mind. “Right now? Do you seriously want to go out right now, SungGyu-Ssi? To buy slippers?”

 

“Uhuh” He nodded as if it was a completely normal thing to do.

 

Belen could only stare down at him, open yet speechless. She had changed her mind indefinitely by then. Belen hadn’t met anyone more conceited and insufferable in her whole entire life. And she hadn’t even lived for that long.

 

She watched him, feeling completely helpless as he hurriedly pulled on his shoes and sweater and cap and mask as if there wasn’t anything more important than his own pair of slippers. She hadn’t seen so much energy coming from him for the entire day since she met him, and she hadn’t expected that exhilaration before. He was ready in no time and didn’t look like he had the tolerance to wait. But she couldn’t let him go by himself either. She had to accompany him, whether she liked it or not.

 

“Manager-nim, are you coming?” He asked her as he skillfully concealed his hair underneath the cap.

 

Belen let out a heavy sigh. She just wished she had the choice not to.


 

That was how Belen ultimately found herself walking in the heavy rain in an oversized raincoat, solely in search of slippers. They couldn’t drive, as the roads were flooding ankle deep. Thankfully, the only available store was in a small street and in walking distance. It was a terrible idea to be walking in the street. For one, they were getting drenched from head to toe, their shoes completely soaked. Secondly, thunderbolts and lightning sounded much closer than they did ever before. 

 

Kim Sung Gyu, however, appeared the least concerned as he hurried his way in search of his precious slippers. She couldn’t understand why he just couldn’t settle for what he had. If he was fine to stay in a measly four bedded hostel room, why couldn’t he settle for used house slippers as well? Why did he have to need a new pair of them and why would he struggle so much to get them?

 

Another reason why Belen should steer clear of them, men. Perhaps it was one of the many foolish little things that they did, settling for little when it mattered more. 

 

“Do we have more to walk?” Belen asked him at some point. She was drenched under the raincoat that barely stayed in place and she was shivering. Although Sung Gyu too was in the same shape, he hardly seemed to mind. He was focused on his phone as he followed google map’s trail. 

 

“Just a few meters, hold on” He said.

 

But Belen didn’t want to hold on. She couldn’t. She was on the verge of her patience; and every time thunder crashed behind her, she’d jump and memories would flood back to her mind and she hated having her sandals wet. She desperately wanted to run inside. 

 

“Just a little bit, and then we’d make a turn-,”

 

In that very instant then, a particularly strong thunder crashed. Right before her eyes in a matter of seconds was a fiery ball of lightning that attacked the electricity pole a few meters away from them. The crack of electricity echoed throughout the quiet neighbourhood, sparks flew and part of the town fell into complete darkness. Belen didn’t even realise that she had screamed really loud and grabbed onto the next person available, her eyes closed and crying.

 

Thunder, lightning, rain, fire. All of these were triggers for Belen Torres who’s life had changed so many years ago because of them.

 

A moment later, everything fell quiet. Half the town had drowned in darkness and a few heads popped out from windows of houses and stores nearby. Rain continued to fa,, thunder continued to crash. Every time it did, she’d stiffen, she’d cry a little like a child. Belen’s mind was in a whirlwind. Traumas were possibly the worst that one could have.

 

“Manager-nim” Sung Gyu’s voice sounded quietly yet a lot closer than she imagined. It took her a while to realise that she’d somehow huddled herself into his arms. His face was really, really close. Even in the darkness, his kind eyes glimmered like stars. “Are you okay?”

 

Belen sooned pulled away from him, surprised by her own mindless response. She nodded quickly as she moved away, wishing that she could just shrink into herself.

 

“Were you scared by that?” He asked, gesturing at the electricity poll that stood there like a silent beast.

 

Belen feigned ignorance as she walked ahead.

 

“Don’t worry about that” Sung Gyu told her as he caught up with her pace. “I was shocked too, I’ve never seen anything like that before”

 

Belen just hummed, a little better as he didn’t mock her for her fears, but she was still incredibly embarrassed. Fear, trust, love; those were the kind of emotions that she never easily let on. She believed in standing strong, and for this she had to suppress herself from expressing them. And thus, in odd moments when she couldn’t keep herself in control, naturally, Belen would retract back to her shell.

 

And that’s what it was when she refused to speak for a long time thereafter, she was retreating, she was shrinking back into where she found comfort and tried to be somebody else. Kim Sung gyu, a complete stranger wouldn’t take note of any of this, most certainly. When she wouldn’t speak, he didn’t seem to mind. He kept checking his phone, he muttered to himself as the rain pattered upon them with their raincoats hardly shielding them. He continued his search for his slippers.

 

But what surprised her was, however, when the next resounding thunder struck, it was almost natural for him to grab hold of her hand. He said nothing. He did nothing before that either. Even as his fingers slowly threaded through hers, damp, cold and slender, Sung Gyu still said nothing to her. It was almost as if he’d done that for her so many times before. He didn’t stop walking even if she did. Belen gazed up at him, speechless and befuddled. But he only shrugged and continued to hold her hand as he went back to look at his phone. 

 

“It’s just around the corner. We can get there soon if we walk fast,” He said.

 

And not a word about them still holding hands.

 

Belen waited for him to add more, explain himself perhaps, defend his unexpected reaction. But none of it came, leaving her helplessly following after him. They were quiet as they walked on the rest; Belen, as she couldn’t find her voice anymore and Sung gyu as he was concentrating on his map. Soon, the two of them stood before a small store where a single lady cashier sat behind the counter, looking bored. It was one of those odd shops which stayed open for a long time and sold all necessary and unnecessary items for a cheaper price. The two of them stood in front of it, the shine of white light in their eyes. Belen glanced down at their entangled hands and saw that Sung Gyu still wasn’t about to let go.

 

“Here we are,” He said, looked at her and smiled. Belen could swear, for a moment, that her heart skipped a beat.