Way back home

Jungkook and the Shadow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Get away from me, coronavirus!" Jungkook flicked a slipper off his foot and hurled it at the shadow.

His fuzzy slipper slid right through.

"Don't call me names." She burst into a flood of tears.

Jungkook scratched his head.

"What is your name?"

"I don't know," she sobbed. "I just wanna go home."

"Where's home?"

"I don't know!" She wailed.

"Then how will you find it?"

"I'll know it when I see it."

"How'd you get into my home?"

The shadow continued to sob while throwing a finger at the floor.

"You came from the ground?" Jungkook asked the glittering, purple and black shape that looked like a woman but was not.

"Not the ground, under there!"

Jungkook scratched his bald head. What did she mean she came from under his bed? There were lots of things he shoved under his bed (pizza, socks, underwear) but never a human.

His left hand went into the pocket of his hoodie. Jungkook whipped out a talisman and held it up high.

"Begone, bad spirit!"

The shadow continued to shimmer and watch him.

"I'm not a spirit, I'm a shadow. I've lost the person I was attached to."

"Oh," said he, as if he understood perfectly what she meant.

Again, he scratched his bald head. His talisman hadn't worked, which meant this spirit couldn't be exorcised as easily as he believed.

"Well, I've nothing to do since I decided to lock myself up. Do you want me to help you look for this… er… person under my bed?"

The shadow brightened up.

*

Jungkook wasn't sure about the world under his bed when he crawled there. He could smell some strange things rotting away. He shuddered. Before he could pull himself out, the shadow held his fingers and suddenly he was falling.

Jungkook said a prayer, something the great Yunho-sama had prescribed, or was it Siwon? Jungkook couldn't tell the SM guys apart, they were all blindingly handsome and hard to look at.

"Are you afraid?" The shadow asked.

Jungkook had his eyes screwed shut. Who wouldn't be afraid free falling into oblivion, he wanted to shout.

"We're almost there, don't be scared."

"I am not, only girls get scared," Jungkook mewled. Tears sat on his lashes, betraying him terribly.

Jungkook and the shadow fell on a pile of straw.

"What?" Jungkook shouted.

He looked around.

This was a quaint home he was in. A very huge house, possibly belonging to a giant.

Jungkook blinked rapidly.

"What is this place?"

"It's the fairy's house."

"A fairy?" Jungkook gawked. 

The shadow was lying. From what he recalled fairies were itty bitty creatures. This was a giant's house. There was no glitter anywhere. Definitely unfairylike! He didn't smell any special cake perfume, although the cottage had a kitchen. Fairies didn't even need kitchens, they were magical.

"I don't like this place," Jungkook muttered under his breath. He fished his pocket for another talisman, this one was for warding off bad luck.

The shadow released his hand, the only bit of solace just left him.

"Let's have tea before we go out."

"What? Now? Shouldn't we be looking for a girl without a shadow?" He returned the talisman to his pocket.

"A girl?" The shadow scratched it's chin. "How do you know to look for a girl?"

"Aren't you a girl?"

"I'm a shadow. I could belong to anything; a girl, a boy, a bee, a bell, a rock or a tree."

"Oh…" There went Jungkook's chances of running into a nice girl. He wondered if he was wasting his time. A thankless rock didn't sound as enchanting as a pretty girl.

The shadow didn't notice his disillusionment. She had begun going through the fairy's cabinets.

"Ooooh, a cookie!" The shadow snapped it in half and gave the smaller half to Jungkook.

He debated whether it was a good idea to eat fairy food. Already, a terrible break-in had happened and now to eat its food, Jungkook wasn't sure how the fairy would react. The shadow started munching away without a problem.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter