Chapter 3

Before You Were Mine

Jungkook

A year ago,…...

Faint music drifted on the air and Jungkook paused listening to the soft tones flowing through the corridor. Jungkook looked around for a moment and followed the music, wondering who was still here so late in the night. The music was coming from the Ice Rink. Jungkook let the music wash over him.

 It was not what he would consider typical ballet music- it was hauntingly remixed classical song. Standing by the entrance to the ice, he saw familiar light brown hair. Jimin. Jungkook watched him skate in the middle of the rink. He had a serious look on his face- that made him look focused. He was good. His one-foot spin was tight and graceful. He moved to the outer area of the rink, where he quickly did a ballet jump and then a half-toe Walley.

 The way he moved was hypnotic. He had a sort of jellied grace that seemed surreal, flowing from one movement into the next. He was very flexible. Though the small jumped seemed easier than they were, Jungkook could tell he was just warming up. He’d seen Jimin skate before on Television, but he still found him even more beautiful in real life. He was flustered. His breathing grew a bit shallow as he watched him, not sure if Jimin was aware of his presence.

zipping around the rink, Jimin’s choreography took him towards his direction, Jungkook thought he caught his eye as Jimin moved past him, but then he was at the other end of the rink skating backward on two feet and landing a single Lutz jump. Then turned to face him, and Jungkook’s breath caught in his throat, as Jimin skated over towards him.

He was frozen. Jungkook couldn’t bring himself to walk away. Their eyes locked when Jimin stopped before him.

He had a beautiful pair of brown eyes that sparkled in the morning light. He was a head shorter than Jungkook with light brown hair and a body that showed just how athletic he was. Jimin gazed at him, silent, unsmiling but inviting. It was unnerving, though not in a frightening way.

Jungkook smiled, “You skate really well,” Jungkook somehow managed to say with an even voice— though it was slightly higher than normal.

“Thanks,” Jimin replied. His voice was softer than velvet and smoother than silk. There was also a Busan accent.

“I’m Jungkook,” Jungkook introduced himself with a wide smile.

“Jungkook…are you related to Seokjin-hyung?” Jimin replied with a smile. He was standing close enough for him to see the dimple that formed in his right cheek when he smiled as his eyes form adorable crescent moon shape. The most beautiful eye smile, Jungkook had seen on a person.

 Jungkook inhaled deeply. His mind wandered, Jimin smelled so good, “Ye-yes, he is my older brother,” Jungkook stammered, “How did you know?”

Jimin smiled, “He has your picture in his office, “Jimin replied.

“Oh?” said Jungkook clearing his throat.

Jimin smiled, “It’s was nice meeting you, Jeon Jungkook,” he said, slowly skating backward.

“The pleasure is all mine, good luck with the competition!” Jungkook replied.

“Thanks!” Jimin called out.

***

Present.

“Want another one?” Taehyung’s voice tugged him back into the present.  Jungkook handed over his glass. Taehyung handed him back his glass. Jungkook took a long drink of beer. He wanted to get drunk. Anything to temporarily help him forget about Jimin not remembering him.

He let out a heavy sigh. He leaned back and took another long sip, relieved. There were few enough people who could count as friends, and Taehyung was one of them. Taehyung took a sip from his glass.

He gave Jungkook a rueful smile. “How is he doing?”

Jungkook swallowed, “You would know if you came to visit him,” he replied.

Taehyung took a deep breath, “Based on what you have been telling me, it won’t make a difference.  If he doesn’t remember you, or his family, he won’t remember me either.”

Jungkook scoffed, “Jimin’s strong and wants nothing more than to get better, his best friend should be there to help him with the process.”

“Well…I don’t think I’m ready for my best friend to treat me like a stranger,” he replied, softly, “Besides, he has you. That’s all the source of strength he’ll need.” Jungkook glanced over at him and shook his head. He had a feeling Taehyung was acting indifference than he actually felt. He knew the real reason Taehyung was avoiding Jimin. A week before the accident, they got into a huge argument. Taehyung and his manager were seeing each other, and they kept it a secret from Jimin.  

“You can’t keep avoiding him,” Jungkook said, “Why’re worried for, it’s not like he remembers the fight you two had?”

“It just feels weird,” said Taehyung, “I spent the last two months trying to find the words to apologized to him once he woke up, but now he doesn’t even remember me.”

“Well, maybe take this as a second chance,” replied Jungkook, “What if he gets his memories back and his best friend never came to see him. It’ll regret it, hyung.”

Taehyung laughed, “I know, just let me know when he is out of the hospital okay.”

“If that’s what you want,” said Jungkook, “But now it’s a good time to reintroduce yourself to him.”

“I know,” said Taehyung, “So why haven’t you told him your relationship yet?”

“I don’t want to overwhelm him,” replied Jungkook, “Between his family feeding him endless stories and the physical therapy. It’s too much.”

“Then it’s probably better to hold off,” said Taehyung.

Jungkook chuckled, shaking his head, “You’re just scared of being rejected.”

“You are too, isn’t that why you withheld the fact that you two are boyfriends.”

Jungkook bit his lower lip, “Well…it’s not about me or you…put yourself in his shoes, hyung.”

“Enough with the lecture,” said Taehyung, “I just need time.”

***

It's been three weeks, and a half since Jimin woke up and started his physical training. It was Thursday, and it was Jimin's final evaluation. Jungkook was sitting on a bench outside of Jimin’s room when the doctor and Mrs. Park walked out. He greeted them.

“I have evaluated Jimin. There are no serious problems. He can go home now,” said Dr. Kim, “He already knows. And as I told Mrs. And Mr. Park, it’s good for Jimin to be in a familiar place. Right now, the best place for him to be is with you. You are the emotional connection that he needs if he is to have a chance at regaining his life. Lots of times, the ones that we love are the ones who can bring us back, so to speak.”

 Jungkook nodded. He felt delighted but scared at the same time. He’d spent the last two months between the hospital and work. His place just wasn’t the same without Jimin.

“Okay.” Mrs. Park smiled. “We’ll go take care of his discharging at the front desk.”

“No, I’ll go- “

“No, you go be with him,” said Mr. Park, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. They all said their goodbyes and walked down the hallway. 

Jimin

A few minutes after the doctor and his parents left the room, the door opened again and it was Jungkook, “Good morning,” he greeted with a smile.

“Good morning,” Jimin smiled back. He looked startled but relieved.

“May I?” he asked pointing at the chair. Jimin stared at him puzzled, wondering why he was asking for permission, but then gasped. Today was the first time, he woke up, and not found him sleeping on the chair next to his bedside.

“You can sit,” Jimin replied. Jungkook smiled and sat in the chair next to the bed.

“How did you sleep?”

“I slept better than I had in weeks,” Jimin replied, “Dr. Kim told me, I’m all better now. I’m going home.”

“Dr. Kim told me,” Jungkook said, “How do you feel about that?”

“I’m happy, I hate the hospital,” Jimin replied.

“It’s the color, you’ve always hated white, you should’ve seen your face when I brought white flowers-” Jungkook and bit his lower lip.

Jimin caught his gaze and looked at him closely. That was the first Jungkook had made any indication that he knew him on a personal level.  

Flowers? Thought Jimin. He has been wondering what his relationship with Jungkook was. He thought Jungkook was a therapist but as the days passed, he realized he was not. He asked Dr. Kim, but he told him to ask Jungkook himself. He felt weird asking his supposed parents about it, so he kept it to himself. But now he was told he was going back home, not with his parents but with Jungkook, he wondered why?

Jimin inhaled deeply, deciding to ask, “You and me?” he asked, “Are we dating?”

Jungkook looked stunned. His eyes drifted towards the window, then his eyes met Jimin’s again.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t get a chance to tell you,” he replied exhaling, “I didn’t want to overwhelm you. I am your boyfriend.”

Jimin stared at him, slightly shocked. He had a feeling; they had some kind of relationship, but he still couldn’t believe he had a boyfriend. And a y one at that.

 “I’m sorry. I don’t remember,” Jimin said, trying to absorb everything.

Jimin heard his sympathetic sigh, “Don’t apologize, it’s not your fault. I just want you to be…yourself again.”

Jimin grimaced, feeling pressured, “I don't know if that will ever happen. I don’t remember anything. I feel guilty. What if I can't be who you all want me to be?”

“Then we’ll just have to learn to live with that.”

Jimin jerked his eyes to meet his gaze again, surprised at his response, “You mean I can be whoever I want?”

Jungkook laughed a little, “That’s right, we all need to live in the present. Just focus on being whoever you feel like. It doesn't matter who you were or what you've done in the past. The only thing that matters is who you are right now.”

Jimin stared at him, stunned a little. He found himself smiling. Jungkook was such a nice guy. He felt no pressure from him and that was welcomed.

“You sound like a doctor,” Jimin commented feeling relaxed, “Thank you.”

“So, are you okay with staying with me?” asked Jungkook.

Jimin inhaled, and then exhaled, “Honestly, I feel more comfortable with you than I do with my family. They have too many expectations of me, and I feel bad whenever they tell me something I don’t remember. I don’t feel that way with you.” Jimin moved his gaze back to Jungkook and noticed he was flushed a little- his ears and cheeks were red.

He sighed, “I’m glad you feel comfortable,” Jungkook said, “And though your family and I may be strangers to you, I guarantee you, you have our unconditional love. And I want you to know that you can ask me anything if you want.” 

Jimin smiled. It was strange but Jungkook’s words and presence made his heart beat a little faster.

“You talk like an old man,” Jimin teased.

Jungkook laughed and ruffled his hair a little, “You’re pretty funny Jimin-hyung?”

“Hyung?” Jimin said, puzzled, “you’re not older than me?”

Jungkook laughed again, “No, I’m two years younger than you.”

Jimin flushed, slightly embarrassed. Not only did he have a boyfriend but apparently, he was into younger guys as well. Though he didn’t remember him. he liked Jungkook. He was kind and understanding.