Chapter One

Maybe In Another Life

[8:43 AM]

Jongin was just about to leave to go the office when his phone rang. Being Jongin, he accepted the call with no hesitation, not even bothering to check who it was.

 

"Hello? Is this Jongin?"

 

He could've sworn that the voice awfully sounded like his ex, who vowed to never speak to him ever again.

 

"I cannot believe you don't recognize my voice at all, Jongin. It's me, Seulgi!"

 

Oh. Her.

 

"Of course! I knew it was you, I just got...distracted. What did you want to talk about?"

 

Talk about us, perhaps.

 

"I was wondering if you could come to our mini-get-together later tonight? Everyone's going to be there!"

 

"Everyone?"

 

"Yes Jongin, Everyone. I have something important to say so I'd appreciate if you'd be able to join us."

 

"Listen Seul, I'm running late for work. Please text me the details later today and I'll make sure to be there on your mini-get-together."

 

"I'll take that as a yes then. See you Nini!"

 

Nini? What is she up to?
 

 

[8:50 AM]

Jongin got in his car and heard a beep from his phone. He checked if it was Seulgi, texting him about the details of this 'Get-Together', and he was right.

 

"Universe Café, UN Village 7:00 PM!!!" She said.

 

Seulgi told him about how they rented the whole place for the night, and that she knew the owner, whose name she mentioned was Minseok.

 

"That's nice, Seul." He replied.

 

And even though how badly he wanted to know how she was doing, he didn't want to seem to be too friendly, or else things might get a bit awkward.

 

"I expect a few drinks!" Jongin followed.

 

The atmosphere was virtually--dare he say it, cold, intense, curt. What did he expect? That she'd be talking to him like before? Impossible.

 

He leaned on the steering wheel and saw the time. 8:52. He was late, and it didn't help that he'd have to go through traffic. 

 

Jongin  wanted to curse everything around him. Why him? And most importantly--why now? God knows he hasn't moved on yet and here he was, hoping that his ex-girlfriend would take him back.

 

He got so lost in his thoughts, that the little beep from his phone startled him. 

 

"And I expect you to be there, Ni."

 

Seulgi always had something in her that made him do whatever she wanted. Was it her charm? Or he just loved her too much to say no? Maybe both? He couldn't even say no to them breaking up. Pathetic.

 

He always finds himself agreeing to her every word, so he decided that he'll go. Maybe he wanted to show her that he is--fine. He is okay.

 

"Don't worry Seul, I promise I'll go." He reassured her.

 

"See you!" 

 

 

[7:10 PM]

Jongin eyed these new people at the dinner table. He believed these were Chanyeol's friends and Seulgi's co-workers. There was Kyungsoo, a chef of some 5-star restaurant, Jongdae, Yixing, and Baekhyun who were singers and music producers of some company, Junmyeon, a lawyer, Joohyun, a doctor, Joy, a model, a few of his college friends and Chanyeol, who apparently was Seulgi's new beau. 

 

"Hi everyone! Thank you for coming on such short notice. Seulgi and I have been together for three years now and--"

 

All eyes were on Chanyeol now. He was about to say something when Seulgi cut him off.

 

"We got you all here today to tell you that Chanyeol and I--"

 

Jongin wondered what was so funny that they broke into a fit of giggles everytime they tried to say something. He was anxious. He had an idea on what they were trying to say, he just didn't want to hear it. 

 

"We're getting married!"

 

The chef, who was Kyungsoo, stood up and gave a toast to the newly engaged couple. While everyone was ecstastic about the news, Jongin sipped his drink quietly, looking at the woman he swore one day he'd marry, engaged to another man.

 

[9:00 PM]

A few drinks in, Jongin decided to tell Seulgi that it was time for him to go home.

 

"Aw Jongin! It's still so early. Are you not having fun?"

 

"N-No I am, I just have work tomorrow and I really don't want to be late again."

 

Seulgi turned to her now-'fianceé' with pleading eyes to help him make Jongin stay for a while.

 

"Yeah bro, It's just for tonight. I'll introduce you to my friends, come on!"

 

Seulgi smiled up at him as Chanyeol took him to talk with his friends. 

 

[11:00 PM]

Chanyeol was passed out on Jongin's shoulder when the doctor, Joohyun told her husband to get Seulgi.

 

Seulgi came over and took photos of her now-fianceé, laughing hysterically with her friends. The lawyer, and the doctor's husband, Junmyeon flicked her forehead and told her to help him sit up as his long limbs were practically sprawled everywhere. 

 

Jongin got Chanyeol off his shoulder, and as they were trying to help the tall man, he told Seulgi once again that he was going to call it a night, and leave.  Seulgi stood up and told her friends to watch her fianceé for her as she insisted to show Jongin outside.

 

[11:08 PM]

"Seul, you really didn't have to do this."

 

"It's okay, Ni."

 

"Congratulations! Who would've thought Tomboy Seul would ever get married?"

 

"Can we please forget about Tomboy Seul already? The embarassing I did in college--ugh!"

 

Their laughter died down and an uncomfortable silence fell upon them. Neither of them wanted to talk, neither of them wanting leave.

 

"Nini--"

 

"Seul, please."

 

"What?"

 

"Don't call me that."

 

"Don't be like that, Ni."

 

Seulgi chuckled and playfully punched his arm to ease the tension around them. Jongin grabbed her arms and pulled her closer to him.

 

"I promised myself that if you chose someone else, I'd be happy for you."

 

He paused.

 

"I convinced myself that if you were happy, I was."

 

Seulgi pried her hands off of him and started walking faster. Jongin walked over and pinned her to his car.

 

"Now tell me Seulgi, what exactly were you trying to do calling me unexpectedly, inviting me to this get-together?"

 

She stared holes into his chest holding back tears as she tried to say something, anything that would be good enough.

 

"You swore you'd never talk to me again, Seul. You got all your friends here too. Were you trying to make me see that you were better off without me?"

 

Jongin stared her down, his own tears threatening to fall.

 

"Seulgi, what exactly are you trying to prove? It's been ages since we last talked and out of the blue, you call me up all friendly like nothing happened, and suddenly, you're engaged!"

 

He paused as he inched closer, biting his inner cheek trying hard not to cry.

 

"What--How am I supposed to feel?"

 

Seulgi looked up at him with glassy eyes, balled fists, shaking. Jongin had realized he had his grip on too tight.

 

"S-Seul."

 

"This is why we broke up."

 

Jongin let go of a shaking Seulgi.

 

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

 

"You always say that, Ni! You always apologize but you never really do anything to change that!"

 

Jongin stepped back trying to compose himself.

 

"And how could you accuse me of ever doing that? I'm not just some show-off Jongin, you know that!"

 

Jongin just looked at her shaking form. 

 

He could not bear to see her cry, he loathed himself because he was the reason behind her tears.

 

"Listen, I'm not trying to prove anything. I wanted you here because I wanted you to see me finally getting my together. I Invited you because I wanted to tell you that I forgive you!"

 

Jongin kept quiet and watched as tears rolled down Seulgi's cheeks. He pursed his lips trying to come up with something decent to say.

 

"I'm finally happy, Ni. Don't I deserve that?"

 

Jongin took her face in his hands.

 

"I don't want to see you in another man's arms, carrying his name, having his children, being his wife."

 

"Jongin."

 

"I pictured my whole life with you, Seul. I wanted to be that man. I was so sure that I'd be him."

 

Jongin embraced her and buried his face in her neck, for the last time.

 

"I hope he treats you well."

 

"He will."

 

"I hope you're happy with him."

 

"I am."

 

"I swore that I'd make you happy, and if being with him does that, then I kept my promise because I Iet you go."

 

Jongin sighed and kissed the top of her head. She watched as he did, her arms crossed over her chest.

 

"I love you, Seul."

 

He went inside his car and looked at her for the last time.

 

"Drive safely, Ni."

 

"Goodbye, Seulgi."

 

She watched as he pulled out of the parking lot. She waved her arm as he sped through the night.

 

Maybe in another life?