Aftermath of a Kiss

Just Friends!

“Unnie…” Hitomi feels guilty. Chaewon steals her first kiss and she kisses her back and they did make-out under the moon (Hitomi has to admit it’s very, very romantic) but why… does her heart not flutter like it’s supposed to?

 

Chaewon understands it, and pulls her closer in an embrace. Curiously, Chaewon feels no hatred bubbling inside her when Minjoo's stupid grin popped out in her mind right after Hitomi's guilty-filled apologies.

 

She just feels sad.

 

As if everything just dawns on her and she can't do anything about it except to accept it wholly.

 

“It won’t be anything if you don’t want to,” Chaewon whispers to her ear, sounding so strained and sad. “I just want you to know that you’re beautiful and I like you just the way you are. And you need to see that there are people who will choose to be your date rather than Minjoo.”

 

“Then… why didn’t they?”

 

Chaewon laughs. “Aside from the fact that you reject everyone harshly? Well, I have to admit Minjoo scares me a little. With you having someone so perfect close to you, I always wonder if I'm not enough. If I'm good enough to be Minjoo's rival for your heart.”

 

Hitomi's expression is unreadable, but her eyes are telling her to continue.

 

Chaewon’s smile is bitter this time, her eyes are glistening with unshed tears. “I thought I had a chance, but it’s now clear that I don’t.”

 

Hitomi frowns, oblivious of what Chaewon is implying. What does she mean by that? “Unnie… don’t say that…” Hitomi likes Chaewon. She really does, but she’s not someone who develops crushes easily like Minjoo. She doesn’t know if she even likes anyone that way.

 

The cross-dressing girl then takes Hitomi’s palm to her face. She still has a sad smile on. “But Hitomi, I want you to give me a chance. Even just a little.”

 

Rubbing the older girl's soft cheeks gently, Hitomi nods. She ignores the strange flutter in her stomach as Chaewon leans forward, pressing her head against her own. Too close. “I know I’m fond of you, unnie, but I don’t know if I like you that way… or anyone in particular. But I would like to know you better that’s for sure.”

 

“It’s okay,” Chaewon suddenly moves to peck Hitomi’s cheek, and somehow Hitomi feels her cheeks getting hotter, but it's not uncomfortable. It's pleasant, even. “So, is this our first day together?”

 

Technically, it’s night but the first night sounded so negative.”

 

"It's impossible to stop that smart mouth of yours, huh?"

 

"Don't you have a method for it, though?"

 

Chaewon laughs.

 

She leans closer and welcomes Hitomi's lips brushing against her own.

 

For now, this is enough.