21.

UNCHANGEABLE (KRYBER)
"so, how's krystal?"
 
amber eyes jihoon who's sitting on her sofa before she puts the can of beer down in front of him. "she's... okay. you've seen each other just the other day, right? when you attended the school activity where katie performed?"
 
jihoon reaches out for his beer and nods. "yeah. i mean i just want to know how she's doing. is she still feeling guilty? she's been really careful when she talks to me."
 
"she still feels sad sometimes whenever she thinks of you and katie. but she's doing okay. seeing you start to move on helps her too. and she says you look more handsome after growing some stubble."
 
jihoon laughs. "i'm glad she's doing well. i hope you're making her happy as you have promised."
 
"i'm trying my best." amber sits down and opens her beer. "how about you? how are you doing?"
 
jihoon took a deep breath in. "better. getting better." he eyes the beer in his hand. "it's been four months. it would be a lie to say i'm a hundred per cent okay now, but i'm getting there. crying days are finally over. and krystal's proven to me how great of a friend she can be despite what happened to us. somehow it makes me feel we're better off as friends."
 
"mmm-mmm. anything or anyone keeping you occupied lately?"
 
"i have been going out with my mates lately to have some fun." jihoon pauses and thinks. "and then there's this fellow doctor, two years younger than i am, a divorcee, who's been my confidant after this whole ordeal blew up."
 
amber nods. "are you guys going out now?"
 
"well..." jihoon shrugs. "misery loves company, you know. we haven't talked about our relationship yet but i bet she would agree that we're filling in a void in each other's lives."
 
"and it helps during nighttimes, right?" amber smirks.
 
jihoon lets out a loud laugh. "i ain't answering that." he waves his finger in the air. "but a man has his needs. a woman has her needs too."
 
"okay." amber raises her hands.
 
"by the way, how's you and krystal after the winter school break started?"
 
"it's hard to see each other lately," says amber. "krystal doesn't want katie to have suspicions."
 
"suspicions about?"
 
"about me and her mom seeing each other."
 
"what?" jihoon chuckles. "she knows, man!"
 
"s-she knows?"
 
"yeah. what makes you think she doesn't know? she told me she knows whenever her mom goes out to see you cos krystal always comes home looking happy."
 
"so... she knows..." amber looks away. "then what was the hiding all for?"
 
"i don't know." jihoon shrugs. "if i were you, i'd talk to her. it's been what, four months now? i think she's starting to accept things. she even stopped trying to get me and her mom back together a few weeks back. that's a good sign."
 
amber doesn't know what to say. jihoon's right. if katrien knows about them then what's the point of still hiding and making everything complicated for her and krystal?
 
"i know you truly care for my daughter, amber. and i know my daughter loves you back. that's the reason she felt betrayed because she trusts you that much," says jihoon, his voice serious. "but can you please try to reach out to her and fix this issue between the two of you? i know you and krystal were waiting for things to cool down, but i seriously think now is the right time. you can't hide from katrien forever, you know."
 
amber inhales. "you're right. i'll talk to krystal about this. and thanks for trusting me with your kid."
 
"only a fool wouldn't trust you even after you put your life in danger twice to save his kid."
 
amber smiles. "still, thanks."
 
"i know it's still rough right now, but it'll be okay for everyone soon. i can feel it in my bones," says jihoon, clenching his fist and jaw. "but i seriously hope we can be friends this time around--like real friends. we're on the same team, anyway. we want what's best for krystal and katie."
 
"yeah. of course. would love that." amber raises her beer in the air. "for krystal and katie?"
 
jihoon smiles and toasts their beers together. "for krystal and katie."
 
---
 
she tells krystal about her talk with jihoon and the former agreed that maybe it's about time that they talk to katrien.
 
they initially plan to go out altogether, the three of them. but before krystal can even tell katrien about it, amber was called for an urgent matter in yeosan. she and yuri flew there immediately and was forced to stay for a few days to fix some papers with the municipality.
 
she tells krystal it may take her maximum a week as she wants to make sure everything is settled and all legal matters have been handled before she flies back. they both agreed to do the talking with katrien once she's back.
 
it was their fifth day in yeosan. amber and yuri were in the sanitation office when the former's phone rings. she checks it and sees krystal's name flashing on the screen.
 
"aren't you going to answer it?" yuri asks, seeing amber staring at her phone.
 
"it's weird. she said she's already at the hospital two hours ago. she rarely calls when she's at work. hope this isn't an emergency." amber puts the phone against her hear. "honey, everything all right?"
 
"who's honey? my mom's name is krystal," the person on the other line said.
 
amber's eyes widen in surprise. "k-katie?"
 
yuri looks at amber.
 
"where are you?" the kid asks, indifferent.
 
"i-i'm in yeosan..." amber jabs yuri who's silently teasing her for stuttering. "where's your mom?"
 
"she's sick."
 
"what!" amber stands up. "what happened?"
 
"dad brought her back home from work," says katrien. "he gave her medicines and tells her to rest. he says mom suffers from gasturaytuss."
 
"g-gasturaytuss?"
 
"i think she meant gastritis," yuri whispers.
 
"ahh." amber nods. "so, how's your mom now?"
 
"she's asleep. dad says i should call you to inform you."
 
"oh. well, thank you, katrien."
 
"when are you coming over here?"
 
"uh..." amber walks around. "the thing is..."
 
"my mom needs you," says katrien, still indifferent. "she's been calling your name whenever she wakes up a bit."
 
"tonight!" says amber, startling yuri. "i'll be there tonight."
 
"okay. i'll tell mom when she wakes up. bye." katrien ends the call quickly.
 
amber stares at her phone, couldn't believe what just happened.
 
---
 
katrien and her grandma greets her at the front door.
 
the kid has her poker-face on and amber's laughing inside how katrien really resembles her mom.
 
"she's already feeling discomfort in her stomach this morning but she still choose to work," says krystal's mom who's leading them inside. "have you had your dinner yet?"
 
"i'm all good, ma'am." amber gestures to her tummy. "i had a meal on the plane."
 
"oh. good." the older woman looks at her granddaughter. "katie, sweetie, why don't you bring amber to your mom first then help me create porridge after?"
 
katrien nods at her grandma and looks at amber. "follow me."
 
the older woman smiles at amber, urging her to follow the kid. amber smiles back.
 
---
 
krystal is curled up on the bed when amber came into the room.
 
"she has eaten nothing since this morning," says katrien, reaching out to touch her mom's forehead, awakening krystal.
 
"katie..." krystal blinks and looks up, getting surprised after. "amber?"
 
amber smiles and shrugs.
 
"i'll help grandma prepare the porridge for you, mom." katrien leans down to kiss her mom's cheek.
 
"thank you, baby."
 
"i'll be back." katrien walks out of the room and closes the door after.
 
"hey." amber sits on the bed beside krystal.
 
"hey you." krystal smiles weakly. "i didn't expect to see you here tonight."
 
"your daughter called me earlier. i booked a ticket right away."
 
krystal reaches out to wrap her arms around amber's waist and rest her head in the latter's shoulder. "but what about your work in yeosan?"
 
"it's almost done. yuri will handle the rest tomorrow and will fly back here right after."
 
krystal hums and nuzzles her face into amber's neck. "i missed you..."
 
"i missed you too. how are you feeling?"
 
"better. i still feel weak but the pain already subsided. and i feel much better now that you're here."
 
"we should thank jihoon. he told katie to call me. i wouldn't have known."
 
"i'll keep that in mind."
 
amber intertwines their fingers. "do you think this means katie's okay with us now?"
 
krystal shrugs. "i really hope so. have you talked to her yet?"
 
"haven't. i don't want to rush things. i don't want to scare her."
 
krystal tilts her head and kisses amber's neck. "thank you and i love you."
 
amber looks down and plants a soft kiss on krystal's mouth. "i love you too."
 
---
 
katrien brings the porridge later. she insists on feeding her mom even krystal says she can eat on her own. amber sits on the side, watching them silently.
 
krystal goes back to resting after she cleans up herself and brushes her teeth. amber stays beside her, hugging her to sleep.
 
ever since she and krystal got back together, amber's sleeps had been peaceful. the voices in her head aren't there anymore.
 
maybe this is what those voices are telling her before, that krystal is what she really needs in her life.
 
amber's glad she listened to those voices.
 
---
 
amber wakes up at the movement inside the room. it's silent, but she feels a presence on her side.
 
when she opens her eyes, she sees the retreating figure of katrien, walking out and closing the door after. wondering what the kid was up to before she wakes up, amber looks on the bedside table and her heart softens at what she sees.
 
it's a red heart origami with a handwritten "amber" at the centre.
 
amber carefully untangles herself from krystal and gets up to follow katrien outside. she sees the kid and calls her.
 
the kid stops but didn't turn.
 
amber takes this as a good sign and hugs the kid from behind.
 
"thank you, katie... thank you..." she nuzzles her cheek on the side of katrien's head. "and i'm sorry for hurting you. i am really sorry."
 
katrien doesn't speak but her shoulders are now shaking.
 
amber hugs the kid tighter. "i promise i'll take care of you and your mom. i promise i'll make it up to you..."
 
"amber..." is all the kid could say before she turns around to hug amber around her neck. "i'm sorry too..."
 
"it's okay, baby..." amber rubs the kid's back. "i understand why you said those words before... just tell me what you want, i'll do it for you..."
 
"i want banana roti..."
 
amber laughs. "sure. i'll get you that tomorrow, will that be all right?"
 
katrien nods and pulls back, wiping her tears with her hands. "please don't make my mom sad... she's... she's sad if you aren't around... she always cries before whenever she and dad fight. i don't want to see her cry again..."
 
"i won't. i promise i won't." amber tidies the kid's hair and face. "would you like to sleep with me and your mom tonight?"
 
there was one last sniff before katrien nods.
 
amber carries katrien back to krystal's room. they lay down together, with krystal and katrien hugging amber from both sides.
 
beautiful dreams fill her head that night.