20.

UNCHANGEABLE (KRYBER)
krystal keeps spending her nights in amber's apartment, except for when she's working night shift. she usually goes there when she's sure katrien's asleep and they will get up in the wee hours of the morning so krystal can come home for her daughter while amber drives back to the city for her work.
 
the agreed set up seems to work for them, at least during the first few weeks. but it starts getting harder after a little while.
 
there are many reasons, most often because of amber's busy schedule where she's forced to stay in the city. problem is, when she could finally get time for herself, it's krystal who isn't available.
 
"i'm sorry, amber. i can't come tonight. katie's running with a fever and i don't want to leave her alone with mom."
 
amber's out in the hallway of her apartment for better reception. her mood drops after hearing krystal's voice on the other line.
 
"it's okay. katie's condition is way more important," she says. "if anything urgent comes up, call me, okay?"
 
"i will." she hears krystal sighs. "i miss you."
 
"i miss you too. but don't worry, we'll catch up once katie's feeling better."
 
"thank you. thanks for understanding. by the way, i still need to check her temperature. speak soon. i love you."
 
"i love you too." the next thing amber hears is a dead line.
 
"trouble in paradise?"
 
amber turns and and sees hyuna. "hey. just got back from work?"
 
"yup. how are you? why do you look like you've been robbed off ?"
 
amber laughs.
 
hyuna stands beside amber, her door keys rattling in her hands. "let me guess, she ain't coming tonight, is she?"
 
amber shakes her head. "katie's sick."
 
"oh. poor kid. i hope it's nothing serious."
 
"just some fever. but since krystal's a nurse, she's doing the nursing thing to the maximum level."
 
hyuna smirks and looks down at the parking lot. "can't compete with the child, eh? i think that was the reason my step-dad resented me. i was a sickly kid. and whenever i am down, i am always mom's priority, not him."
 
amber let's out a small smile. "it's fine. i love the kid too."
 
"i'm sorry. i didn't mean for it to sound negative."
 
"don't worry." amber waves a hand quickly. "it's just that spending quality time together has been hard these past few days. my schedule got hectic and i sometimes need to stay in the city for a night or two if there are urgent matters i need to attend to. and krystal, well, we can't see each other if she's with katie. i don't want to start any issue between them. but i miss her so much now." she exhales.
 
"i'm sure krystal misses you too in the same way. if not, even more," hyuna says. "she's really head-over-heels for you. you're one lucky doofus."
 
amber smiles when hyuna playfully punches her. "how about you, how are you?"
 
"fine. the salary you're giving me from the foundation really helps. i have declined some private massage clients."
 
"that's good to hear. still saving up to pay off your step-dad?"
 
hyuna nods. "i called my mom yesterday. she says there's no need for me to pay him. but i still want to. and she's happy when i told her about the foundation. thanks to you."
 
"wouldn't have done it without you." amber taps hyuna. "i should be the one thanking you."
 
hyuna smiles. "care for a beer?"
 
"sure. krystal won't be coming over anyway. besides, i haven't seen your in a while."
 
hyuna laughs. "dammit! that sounds really funny!"
 
"you're the one who started it."
 
"i know. i know. let's go in now." hyuna gestures to her door. "i'm sure my misses you already."
 
---
 
amber parks her car just outside the jung compound. she pulls out her phone to message krystal that she's already outside.
 
it didn't take long for krystal to appear. but instead of walking to the shotgun seat, she opens the door on the driver's side and amber wonders why.
 
"krystal--" amber stops when krystal suddenly slips in to sit on her lap, straddling her and closing the door after. "oh..."
 
still not saying any word, krystal cups amber's face and kisses her, pressing their bodies together. the two made out in the car. amber's secretly thankful that her glasses are tinted.
 
in between their heated exchange, amber adjusts the seat back and reclines so krystal can settle more comfortably.
 
they continued kissing until they had to break apart as the need for air becomes unbearable.
 
"that..." amber's panting. "that was hot..."
 
"i missed you so much." krystal kisses her again. it lingers for a moment before she pulls back. "i missed you."
 
"i missed you too."
 
"what time's your flight again? can you stay for a few minutes?"
 
"it's in six hours." amber pulls krystal to her chest. "sure. that's what i'm thinking when you told me you wanted to see me before i leave."
 
krystal sighs, her body relaxing in amber's embrace. "i really miss you..."
 
"i'm sorry if i have to be away. but it'll be just for a few days."
 
"i don't like that we won't be seeing each other again for days." krystal pouts. "we haven't been spending much time together because i was busy with katrien lately."
 
"i'll be back as soon as i can. i promise. i won't be away for months like before when i was in aef. it's only for three days, honey."
 
"but you're with suzy..."
 
"you know it's business matters," says amber, kissing the top of krystal's head. "that travel agency is popular in japan and i heard the ceo's a big fan of suzy. i want to get this deal for the yeosan hotel we're building, so we can provide more jobs there too. yuri and jessica will come along."
 
"but those two are a couple which means you'll get stucked with suzy."
 
amber exhales.
 
"look, i trust you, okay?" krystal raises her head to look at amber. "but if that suzy ever tries to seduce you, i'll cut her face with a scalpel."
 
"chill." amber chuckles. "we won't be sharing a room. and i'll come back home as soon as we're done with the meeting."
 
krystal nods as her hand reach for amber's face, her fingers tracing her lover's jaw. "please take care, okay?"
 
amber kisses krystal's hand. "i will. i love you."
 
krystal says her 'i love you too' by leaning in and kissing amber again.
 
---
 
their short and hot make-out session in her car lingered in amber's mind the entire duration of her flight to japan.
 
she feels giddy inside, knowing that there's someone out there, and it's still krystal, who loves her and cares for her deeply.
 
the thought of it makes amber feel like she's falling in love for the first time all over again, and she can't wait to go back home into krystal's arms.
 
she called krystal after they've landed and called her again after amber got into the hotel room.
 
krystal falls asleep that night during the call, listening to amber's stories about her sau days.
 
---
 
saying they miss each other is an understatement.
 
after over a week of barely seeing each other, amber and krystal made sure their schedules are cleared for the night after the former got back from her japan trip earlier.
 
krystal jumps up onto amber's waist when the apartment door opens. the impact pushed amber backwards but she doesn't care. if being away for a few days meant getting home to a hungry girlfriend like this, then missing each other is all worth it.
 
with her emotions taking over her whole being, amber then carries krystal straight into the bedroom while the other woman is busy snogging her. they drop on the bed together and is all over each other.
 
it didn't take long before amber's hands get braver, slipping under the shirt to cup girlfriend's bumps.
 
and krystal's moan tells her she can continue with whatever she has in mind.
 
so she fondles the woman's bosoms, making krystal arch her back.
 
"amber..." krystal's hand grasps the back of amber's neck. "uh..."
 
"yes?" amber asks. "i'm still not allowed beyond this, right?"
 
krystal shakes her head even though she looks like she wants more.
 
"well, at least this is progress." she pulls her hands and fixes krystal's blouse.
 
krystal laughs. "why are you saying it like i am not allowing you to go ual on me? am i really giving you a hard time?"
 
"well, sort of." amber admits with a shrug. "but don't worry. i totally respect your decision about us not going down that road yet. i'm just checking how far can i go."
 
"i'm surprised this is the first time you've done this in weeks."
 
"it's because i missed you so much. and also, i'm checking how they are." she playfully runs her fingers along the woman's chest.
 
krystal chuckles. "i can assure you they are just fine."
 
"well, i haven't seen them for a long time..."
 
"then why don't you look at them with your own eyes?"
 
amber's eyes widen.
 
krystal laughs again. "why do you look surprised?"
 
amber blinks first while processing what she heard. "well... i..."
 
krystal's phone suddenly rings and they both look at the bedside table. amber reaches out for the phone and hands it over to krystal after seeing the latter's mom calling.
 
she gets off from the woman so krystal can sit up to answer the phone.
 
"mom? oh. katie, baby, what's wrong?" krystal looks at amber. "umm. mommy went out to buy something. no, i don't have work tonight. oh, you're having a nasty dream? sure, i'll come home now." she holds amber's hand. "yes, baby. i'll see you in a few."
 
amber just holds her girlfriend's hand back knowing their time together tonight will be cut short again.
 
krystal eventually hangs up and shoots amber an apologetic look.
 
"let me at least drive you back," amber says. "i know it's about fifteen minutes walk but i won't allow you to walk alone at this hour."
 
krystal looks down and plays with amber's hand. "i'm sorry."
 
"it's okay. she needs you."
 
"do you want to come with me instead? you can stay in my room while i put katie back to sleep."
 
amber inhales. "tempting, really. but you won't be able to concentrate if i'm there. just sleep beside your daughter tonight, hmm?" she caresses krystal's cheek.
 
krystal closes her eyes and sighs. "i'm really sorry."
 
"hey. don't be. it's katie we're talking about here. i love your kid too and i wouldn't let her alone in fear tonight, you hear me?"
 
krystal nods.
 
"okay. now off we go." amber stands up and picks her car keys. "we can catch up tomorrow, anyway."
 
"i... we can't tomorrow..." says krystal, looking more guilty now. "it's her aunt's--jihoon's sister--birthday. she invited us to stay over for the night."
 
"oh." amber remembers how krystal was happy knowing her relationship with her sister-in-law wasn't affected by what happened between her and jihoon. "then i'll just stay in the city tomorrow since i have classes to attend to in the evening."
 
krystal covers her face with her palms. "i'm really sorry this is happening. believe me, i want to be with you."
 
amber stands beside krystal and pulls the woman to her stomach. "hey. we'll be able to find the right timing, don't worry. we won't be like this forever."
 
"but i'm afraid you'll get tired of this setup..."
 
"what are you saying? i waited for years to get you back again. i won't let small things like this break us, okay?"
 
"thank you." krystal stands up and kisses amber. "i'll make it up to you next time. i swear."
 
"yeah. i still have to check your treasures." amber chuckles when krystal playfully slaps her. "shall we? little katie is waiting for her mom."
 
krystal sighs and nods.
 
---
 
it was raining the next day but that didn't stop amber and her team in doing the rescue operation when they got a tip that several homeless dogs were spotted in the secluded area of the town.
 
as expected, the dogs were elusive and scared. it didn't help that the road is slippery and they are all drenched--including the dogs--making it hard for them to catch the mongrels.
 
it took them hours but it was all worth it when the dogs were brought in the shelter and were given food. amber felt so happy and she messaged krystal about it too.
 
getting carried away, amber didn't notice the time and drove straight to the city when she remembers she has art classes in a few hours.
 
not wanting to be late, she went to her apartment only to change, disregarding krystal's reminder for her to take a shower first.
 
she regrets it cos she's already feeling under the weather after her class. she feels cold and her body aches. feels sore and her nose is stuffy. driving back to her apartment took a lot of effort but she managed to go back to her room and plonk herself on the bed.
 
she didn't tell krystal about it, not wanting to worry the woman who should be enjoying at a party celebration tonight. she just messaged krystal she's sleeping early tonight.
 
after making sure the message was sent, amber rolls herself into the blanket and sleeps.
 
---
 
she doesn't know how long she was out. amber remembers waking up from time to time, guessing the time of the day through her windows.
 
her phone needs charging but every time she tries to get up, her body feels too heavy and she ends up laying back down and drifting into sleep again.
 
she feels worse than yesterday but she knows proper rest would make her feel better in no time.
 
---
 
amber wakes up again and sees it's already dark outside. she gets up immediately in panic, noticing a white towel falling from her forehead down to the floor.
 
she picks it up. the towel's still damp. she doesn't remember getting herself a towel. a movement on the side of the bed make her look, only to realise she isn't alone.
 
"krystal? what are you doing here?" she asks, surprised.
 
krystal, who's still in her pink scrub suit, sighs. "you're driving me crazy, amber."
 
"what? i didn't do anything..."
 
"exactly. i haven't heard from you for a day. the last message i received from you was last night. and after that, nothing."
 
"i..." amber blinks, trying to recall what happened. "i wasn't feeling well so i slept. i just slept all day."
 
"aish. you." krystal touches amber's forehead. "do you know you were burning with fever when i came in? and you were not yourself. you were mumbling words, talking like you're already dying."
 
"i did? what did i say?"
 
krystal produces another towel from a bin nearby and wipes amber's face and neck with it. "you said, 'please tell krystal that i love her. and that i will be happy to die knowing she's mine'."
 
"i said that?" amber chuckles. "wow. that's cheesy."
 
"wow your face." krystal pushes the towel in amber's face. "you made me worry, do you know that? i couldn't focus on my work! i even had to call jihoon to pick katrien from school this afternoon so i can drive here straight. good thing he's done with his rounds early."
 
"i'm sorry." amber chuckles again. "i still can't move on from my cheesiness."
 
krystal glares at her.
 
amber gulps. "seriously. i'm sorry."
 
"can you please stop making me worry like that again?" snaps krystal.
 
amber can see the tears starting to form in krystal's eyes. she hugs the woman. "i'm sorry, honey. i won't do that again."
 
"i was worried," says krystal, finally breaking down. "i thought something happened to you. or maybe you finally had enough of me and would just want to call it quits."
 
"shhhh. that's never gonna happen." she rubs krystal's back. "i'm sorry. i am so sorry. i was just out the entire day. i'm really sorry."
 
"are you feeling any better now?"
 
"yeah. i have a great nurse for my girlfriend."
 
krystal pulls back and wipes her face with her hands. "good. but i won't let you do any work tomorrow, okay? you need to rest and take meds."
 
"oh. i know what exactly i need to cure me."
 
"what?"
 
"i need to see your treasures." amber wags her eyebrows.
 
krystal grimaces and throws the towel on amber's face. "." she gets up from the bed.
 
"where you going?" amber says in a singsong.
 
krystal turns with a smirk on her face. "i'm going to prepare the treasures for you."
 
"oooh yeah!"
 
krystal laughs and heads out of the room.
 
she comes back with medicines and a glass of water in hand.