F I V E

Zero-Four
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Saturday arrived too fast for my liking. During the late afternoon, I called Jennie to distract myself from my nervousness. She would constantly ask about Baekhyun, and when she heard we were invited to an event, she squealed so loudly I that had to remove my smartphone from my ear.

“Ouch, Jennie! What was that?” I grumbled but couldn’t suppress a grin. I was sitting cross-legged on my bed, leaning my back against the wall.

“Girl, you need to put a lot of effort into your outfit and styling!” she went on, getting all excited.

“I’d rather not overdo it since I know there will be a ton of sleazy old men at this event,” I complained. Some people at these kinds of events were nice, but most of them were two-faced and could not be trusted.

“You’re not dressing up for them. You’re dressing up for Hyunnie,” she said and although I couldn’t see her, I knew she was smiling widely.

“Jennie, don’t call him that,” I giggled. “Sounds too cute for him.”

“Don’t change the topic! We haven’t finished discussing your outfit!”

“I’ll say it again; if I want to avoid any kind of negative attention, I shouldn’t overdo it,” I reasoned.

“You have a bodyguard, why are you worried?” she persisted, and I sighed.

“You’re not letting this go, are you?”

“Nope,” she chuckled.

We chatted for a while and I enjoyed the distraction it brought. My nervousness faded since Jennie was good at taking my mind off my worries, and I was grateful to have a friend like her. However, I couldn’t escape my uncle’s dreaded business event. Soon, I would have to get ready since it was almost evening. I had already packed a small suitcase for the overnight stay earlier today.

I ended the call and hesitatingly walked to my wardrobe, going over the dresses I owned. I chose a deep black one that would hug my body and flare out at my waist, floating to the ground in soft eaves. Its sleeves were made of black lace that ended in a high collar on my neck. The dress was elegant and classy, fitting for a business event.

I went into the bathroom to put my long hair up, adding a hair clip with a silver flower that glinted in the light. Next, I applied subtle make-up, highlighting my eyes, and painting my lips light pink. I put on the dress, glancing at my reflection in the big mirror in my room. Attempting a smile, I huffed when it took on a desperate tone and gave up. This trip would be terrible, I just knew it.

When I descended the stairs, the others were waiting in the lobby, looking at me when they heard my heels click on the floor. Minho wore a suit nearly identical to Li Chang’s. The latter glared at me, not hiding his disdain for me in the slightest. I avoided his gaze, focusing on Baekhyun instead, who looked incredibly attractive. He also sported a suit, but without a tie, and his dress shirt was black as the night—our colors matched. As usual, delicate feathery braids dangled over his shoulder. He wore a mask of indifference when I arrived, but his eyes followed my every move.

“You look gorgeous, Hyorin,” my uncle said. “Let’s go, the driver is outside.”

I thanked him and followed him to a sleek black sedan in the driveway. The inside of the car was fairly large, allowing for sufficient legroom and space for my long dress. Me and Baekhyun sat opposite my uncle and Li.

Yet again, I noticed the tension between him, Minho, and Li. My uncle’s bodyguard made it a point to glare at Baekhyun with a vengeance. It honestly scared me because I wasn’t used to being surrounded by so much needless hate and anger. What was Li’s problem? Couldn’t he at least try to be polite?

“Mr. Min briefed you about this evening and tomorrow, correct?” Minho asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence in the car.

“Yes, he did,” answered calmly, resting my hands on my lap. “I know what I need to do.”

“That’s good. I’m proud of you, Hyorin,” he said. I caught Li rolling his eyes but refrained from reprimanding him since I didn’t want to make this car ride any more unbearable than it already was.

“Zero-Four, you are responsible for her safety,” Minho stressed.

Baekhyun merely gave a nod, otherwise, he looked detached like a doll. The blank look in his eyes often appeared when Minho was around, worrying me. He was capable of showing emotions, but my uncle’s presence triggered something in him. Something bad.

The rest of the drive was spent in silence. I sometimes looked out the window or took a peek at Baekhyun. He had resorted to gazing at the scenery with a distant expression, the passing street lamps casting an ominous light over his sharp facial features. His blue eyes seemed to glow when they caught the light, and I once more was mesmerized by how beautiful they were. Soon, he noticed my gaze, prompting me to look away.

When we reached the hotel, the driver opened the door for us, and I left the car last, taking Baekhyun’s hand which he offered to me. As soon as my heels touched solid ground and I didn’t stumble, he let go of my hand, surveying our surroundings. We stood right in front of the main entrance of an impressive hotel building, its exterior design reflecting a blend of modern elegance and traditional Korean aesthetics. I entered the hotel lobby with my uncle, the bodyguards following us. The inside was as extravagant as the exterior, gray and earthy tones dominating the colors. We passed a seating area decorated with small plants and reached the reception desk.

“Good evening, are you guests of Mr. Kim?” the young woman behind the desk asked, wearing a practiced smile.

“Yes. My name is Park Minho, I made a reservation for four people,” my uncle said, handing his credit card to her. She took it, typing something on her computer before returning it.

“Here are your room keys,” she said politely and gave us four distinct cards. I put mine in my purse, making sure not to lose it. “Do you need someone to pick up your luggage?”

“Yes, please,” Minho smiled.

“I will arrange it. Your suitcases will be brought to your rooms. Enjoy your stay!” she said, showing us the way to the hall where we would have dinner with the other guests.

We entered a hallway that led us into a spacious room adorned with elegant décor to match the occasion. A single long table was set with fine china, crystal glassware, and polished silverware—no expense had been spared. Many other guests had already arrived and taken their seats. I expected Baekhyun to stay close, but when I sat next to Minho, I saw him and Li stepping back. They moved to a wall behind us and remained there. I noticed a few other bodyguards near them and concluded they had to stay at a distance during dinner. I felt strangely vulnerable when Baekhyun wasn’t around and automatically tensed my shoulders, fingers fidgeting with the black fabric of my dress. My posture was too stiff, betraying my unease as I sat at the table. I did my best to hide my anxiousness, but I doubted it was working—the death threats had made me paranoid. Turning my head slightly, I caught Baekhyun’s gaze resting on me.

“It’s good to see you, Mr. Park,” a man sitting across from us said. He was a bit older than Minho and wore a blue tie with his black suit. I had never seen him before but assumed my uncle knew him from work.

“Likewise, Mr. Kim. Thank you for your invitation tonight,” Minho said. “May I introduce my niece to you? She’s accompanying me this weekend.” Kim’s gaze landed on me, scrutinizing me from head to toe. Although it was unpleasant, I forced a polite smile on my face. Tonight was all about pretending and leaving a good impression for the sake of my uncle’s business…

“Hello, Mr. Kim. I’m Park Hyorin,” I introduced myself.

“It’s nice to meet you,” he replied, the smile on his lips not quite reaching his eyes. He intimidated me, so I was glad when the conversation shifted to another topic, my uncle sharing anecdotes from work.

Soon, the first course arrived, and I busied myself with eating, occasionally participating in the conversations around me. Unfortunately, I was sitting next to a woman who loved gossiping. She had a loud and annoying voice I just couldn’t ignore and my patience waned fast.

A wave

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter