Rainy Day Prince

Rainy Day Prince (Wang Yibo X Reader)

 

 

The pattering sound of water hitting against glass drew your attention away from the stack of papers in front of you and towards the transparent glass windows that surrounded your office. You blink slightly in surprise as you take in the darkened clouds outside the window. It had been sunny earlier that day, but at some point between lunch and now the sky had turned dark and heavy with rain, the wind picking up and sending raindrops splattering against the glass. You sigh softly, rise from your seat, and walk over to the window for a closer look. Below, the sparkling city lights cut through the sheet of wind and rain, the shining beams of light glittering like stars in the night sky. You glance slightly over at the clock ticking softly on the wall, one eyebrow raising as you realize how late it was. 

 

It’s 7pm already?

 

You had been so engrossed in the new case materials handed to you that morning that you hadn’t even noticed the time flying by. It was time to go home. Quickly stacking up the papers you needed, you tucked them carefully into your bag and slipped on a dark blue coat that came down to your ankles. Then, you slung your bag over your shoulder, flicked off your office lights, and headed downstairs. 

 

The heels on your boots clicked on the polished linoleum floor of the office building as you walked towards the crystalline revolving doors, swiping your employee pass at the electronic security gate and waving goodbye to the security guard. Pausing, a sigh escapes your lips as you look up at the darkened sky. From a lower level, you realize that the rain was coming down harder than you had thought. 

 

“Of course, the day I didn’t think to bring an umbrella.” You grumble as you rummaged around your bag to double check. It was the end of the rainy season in Beijing, and in your rush this morning you hadn’t bothered to check the weather. What were the chances that it was going to rain during this time of the year?

 

Just my luck.

 

 Tucking your bag carefully under your arm, you calculated quickly how long it would take to run to the nearest metro stop. Certainly, you could make it without getting too wet, right? 

 

“Alright, let’s go.” You say softly to yourself. Tucking your hair back, you slip your hood on over your head and head outside. Keeping your face half buried under your coat, you hurry in the general direction of the metro station, wind blowing you forward mercilessly. 

 

Ugh, this is such a pain. I’m never leaving home without an umbrella again!

 

As you run for the metro station, you suddenly notice a figure standing still further up ahead on the sidewalk. The person was dressed in a black and gold close fitting coat, a white and blue mask covering the bottom half of their face. In one hand, they held a transparent umbrella, the curved design effectively keeping the rain away from the person underneath it. 

 

Who’s that?

 

Your footsteps slow as you see the figure. Despite the rain coming down, the person, a young man, wasn’t moving from his spot on the sidewalk. His stance was cautious but calm, his gaze flickering ever so slightly to see if people were looking at him. For the most part, his gaze was focused on something ahead of him. And then, you realize what, or who, rather, he’s looking at.

 

He’s looking at...me. But...who…?

 

Then, your eyes lock gazes with the waiting person’s dark brown eyes. The young man’s sharp gaze softens as your eyes meet, and without seeing the rest of his face you can already tell from the downward curve of his eyes that the young man is smiling. He pulls back the hood of his coat to reveal short coffee brown hair, and then, you realize who it is. He extends a hand towards you, a large but gentle hand that you had held many times in the past. A soft smile turning up the corner of your lips, you duck your head shyly. Looking around you carefully, you hurry forward and duck under the welcoming protection of the young man’s umbrella. 

 

“What are you doing here?” You ask, keeping your voice hushed although you doubted if anyone could really hear you at normal volume under the loud rushing sound of the rain. The young man reaches out and silently takes your bag, slinging it over his own shoulder before responding.

 

“I came to pick you up, of course.” Wang Yibo replies, his distinct deep voice muffled slightly by the mask he was wearing. You squeak as he pokes you on the forehead.

 

“Somebody forgot to bring an umbrella this morning.” He chides teasingly. You scowl slightly up at him and clap both hands over your forehead.

 

“Bullying me again!” You grumble, “I was in a rush this morning and forgot to look at the weather forecast!” Wang Yibo chuckles and wraps an arm around your waist, pulling you close to his slender body. 

 

“I know.” He replies, “That’s why I rushed to finish my schedules so I could come pick you up.” Your chest warms as you look up into Wang Yibo’s warm brown eyes. Some people pegged him as a cold person, closed off and unemotional for the most part towards anyone save for the closest of colleagues. But what they didn’t know was the other side of him that he showed in front of only a select few. A gentleman, a young man with a warm and caring side, who managed to look after even the tiniest of things like whether his girlfriend had brought an umbrella to work or not.

 

And you, by some of amazing good fortune, had managed to become one of those people. 

 

You had never even dared to dream of dating a celebrity of course, let alone one of the hottest stars in the entire country, the object of millions of fangirls’ affection. And yet, you had met Wang Yibo by chance one day when he had signed onto filming a law centered drama. As it so happened, your firm’s office had been chosen as the perfect filming site for the show, and for months Wang Yibo had been in and out of the same building as you. Your supervisor had been one of the legal consultants working with Yibo to make him fit the role better, and so your paths had crossed more than other employees’ had. Sometimes if he was too busy, your supervisor would send you to help Wang Yibo instead. And slowly, you had noticed Wang Yibo’s gaze lingering slightly on you more and more, an intense dark brown eyed gaze that had made your heart flutter. 

 

As for you, you found yourself seeing more sides to this young actor than had been apparent on television. On the one hand, he was a devoted worker, putting in extra hours to better learn how to immerse himself in the role. He spoke little in response to anyone’s questions, but on the rare occasion that something made him laugh, it was adorable. He picked up on the small things in life, like what type of coffee employees at the office liked, and little changes in decoration around the various offices. On the other hand, sometimes he was like a child; he could talk for hours about motorcycles and phone games, his eyes sparkling in delight. And then, you realized that the cold aloof exterior wasn’t all there was to this young man. You just had to know how and when to draw out his different sides. 

 

When he had first confessed to you, you thought for sure you were dreaming. Your feelings for him had undoubtedly grown over the six months the drama team had been filming in your workplace, but you knew better than to confess directly to a major celebrity. He was surely surrounded by so many beautiful and talented women every day, it was unlikely he would reciprocate anything you felt. And yet, near the end of filming, Wang Yibo had shyly cornered you in the coffee room while other employees and his staff were away, and proceeded to fumble around for the right words for thirty seconds straight before, with some prodding from you, he finally blurted his feelings out directly. After getting over the initial shock of it all, the whole thing had been so adorable, you had wanted to laugh but held it in so he didn’t feel embarrassed. 

 

With his feelings out in the open, you had found little reason to keep hiding your own, and so, you confessed to him as well. Since that day, the two of you had begun a heart pounding secret romance, filled with secret texting, public dates in disguise, secret dinner dates, and all the other things that you thought only happened in television dramas. It was now a year since then,, and somehow, you two had managed to avoid being caught. A soft tap on your head brought you back to the present, and you looked up to see Yibo looking down at you in amusement.

 

“What are you thinking about?” He asks. You grin and after hesitating for a moment, stretch up on your toes and give him a quick peck on the cheek. Yibo inhales sharply, caught off guard by the sudden show of affection. You pull away and giggle at the startled look in his eyes.

 

“I’m just thinking...I’m so lucky to have you.” You reply, grinning. Yibo froze for another moment before chuckling.

 

“No, qing ai de.” He says, reaching down to clasp your hand in his, “I’m the one who’s lucky to have you.” He leans over and presses a gentle kiss to your forehead, making your cheeks flush despite the cold wind blowing around you.

 

“Let’s go home.” He murmurs softly, tucking your hand into his coat pocket, “I drove today.” You nod and tuck your head against his shoulder, feeling safe and warm with Yibo by your side, his hand tightly clasped around yours. As the two of you walk along the street, you notice the tip of a white book peeking out from Yibo’s other coat pocket.

 

“What’s that?” You ask, pointing at it. Yibo looks down at his coat briefly.

 

“A book I was reading while waiting for you.” He replies simply.

 

“Oh? What sort of book?” You ask, curious. Yibo hesitates for a moment, a slightly embarrassed look crossing his face before he replies.

 

“A cookbook.” He says, a slightly embarrassed flush crossing his cheeks. You blink in surprise at his response. Cooking? If there was one thing Wang Yibo was not apt to do, that was usually cooking; multiple attempts on various shows had already provided evidence of that. 

 

“But...why…?” You ask, confused. Another embarrassed flush turns Yibo’s cheeks red. He clears his throat before responding.

 

“Next week...is our one year anniversary, isn’t it?” He replies, “I want to make you something delicious.” You pause and stare at him, startled. Then, warmth blooms in your chest, a smile uncontrollably crossing your face. 

 

“Yibo…” You say, genuinely touched. 

 

“Don’t look like that.” He replies gruffly, a childish expression taking over his handsome features the way it always did when he was embarrassed, “I can’t guarantee how it will taste, but my feelings put into it will certainly be genuine.” You gaze at him for another long moment before grinning and laying your head against his shoulder.

 

“I’ll eat anything you make as long as it’s not vinegar braised cucumbers.” You tease, recalling the Day Day Up episode where Yibo attempted to cook for his fellow MCs. You had laughed so hard seeing his attempt to cut, or smash, rather, cucumbers that Yibo had promptly buried his face into a pillow until the segment was over. Yibo coughs awkwardly.

 

“Can we not bring that up again?” He asks, a small pout gracing his face. You giggle and pat him on the cheek.

 

“Or maybe, I could make vinegar braised cucumbers.” You add playfully. Yibo pauses, turning so that you are facing each other in the middle of the street. 

 

“What are you doing?” You ask, taken off guard. A determined look crosses Yibo’s face, and in one fluid motion he s his coat and yanks you closer to him. 

 

“Ah-Bo?” You ask, confused. Pulling up the top of his coat so it hides his face on one side and his arm hiding the other side, Yibo pulls down his mask, leans down and kisses you in the middle of the street. You squeak in surprise, but don’t pull away. After what feels like an eternity, Yibo pulls away, his eyes slightly narrowed but full of love as he gazes down at you.

 

“That mouth of yours never knows when to stop talking, does it?” He murmurs, “You’re playing with fire, qing ai de.”

 

“Was that supposed to be a punishment? It didn’t feel like one.” You reply cheekily, somehow managing a response even though your head is still spinning from the kiss. Yibo chuckles and he bats you lightly on the nose with a slender finger before returning his coat and mask back to their proper position. 

 

“Let’s go home, my silver tongued princess.” He says, holding his hand out to you again. Grinning, you take his hand, and the two of you continue on your way. As you and Yibo walk hand in hand down the street, you lay your head on his shoulder and smile, feeling like the happiest woman in the world.

 

Wang Yibo, I love you.