Strangers

The Sky in Your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The soft and indistinct chatter of men and women filled up the hallway, signalling that it was at least 8.45 in the morning. They chattered about as they moved this way and that, exchanging stories of how they spent their weekends. Some even grumbled about it being a Monday.

Except for Oh Sehun. He loved Mondays. No, he loved every single day where he could feel productive. Stretching his arms, he observed the office slowly came to life as more people filled up their workstations, switching on the lights and machines. Occasionally, he would smile and nod at passing co-workers. Life was good, he had a pretty enviable job as an attorney at a major law firm. He had initially wanted to be a prosecutor, but this job scope seemed more lucrative.

As usual, he had been the first one to arrive, out of all of the employees in his department. He had timed himself to arrive exactly at 8.15 in the morning, where he took the extra time to prepare his work desk, make himself a cup of coffee, and scroll through his emails. All of this had helped him to be able to hand in work and also get home on time.The superiors loved his punctuality and often praised him as an example to the others, to the annoyance of several people. They called him various names, thinking that he wanted to climb the ladder quickly even though he had just been there for six months. Sehun had caught them talking behind his back a few times, but he could care less, honestly.

Stacks of papers had been neatly placed in his tray, all of which he aimed to finish by the end of the day. Eyes skimming through his his case files, he took his still warm coffee in one hand.

A few hours into his work, he heard the familiar creaking of the door a desk apart from him. A senior exited the room. Sehun's eyes were still glued on the papers when the senior co-worker came up to him. "Hey," offered the older man. Sehun lifted his head up to see the person. Immediately, he already sensed an oncoming doom. Dressed in an undoubtedly high-end brand shirt, Minjun gave a quick smile to his junior. "I need your help,"he explained directly.

"Sure, what is it?" Sehun tried his best to maintain a polite smile and tone of voice so not to reveal his annoyance. His priority was always to maintain a sense of propriety and decorum even though it might the last thing he wanted to do 'Breathe,' he thought to himself.

Grinning his cheshire-like smile, Minjun leaned forward and put a piece of paper on his desk. "I need to finish this by today but I had a bit of a technical problem with my PC. It would only be repaired tomorrow, so I need to do everything manually now. I called the research department just now but they told me I would have to go downstairs,"he elaborated extensively. Sehun lifted an eyebrow because he knew what was coming.

"I'd like to do it by myself but there is an important meeting due in ten minutes. Would you go down and see whatever is it they want? Thanks, I knew I could count on you,"Minjun patted his shoulder and with that, disappeared back into his office.

Grabbing the paper begrudgingly, Sehun sighed. He hated doing favours for people like Minjun but he needed to persevere for now as that man is the nephew of one of the board members of his firm. He needed to avoid revolting if he wanted the promotion, no matter how much that man got on his nerves. 'Yeah, the important meeting is having lunch at an expensive hotel with his supermodel girlfriend,'he complained inside, took his phone and got up. Walking at a brisk pace, he arrived at the lift in no time. 'One of these days I'm going to punch his no good face or something.' Imagining they were Minjun's face, he punched the lift buttons harder than necessary and waited. It was an agonizing three minutes before the lift finally opened.

He entered and saw several familiar faces, all of whom consisted of his superiors. Quickly, he changed his expression to pleasant and offered a curt smile to everyone inside as he entered the lift. Suppressing the anger inside, he tried to remain at least outwardly composed so as not to give off an air of hostility.

When he finally reached the second floor, he wasted no time to begin his search. The research department was a bit tricky to navigate through. The firm itself was undoubtedly big and had state of the art technology and infrastructures, but weirdly enough the department was sporadic, offices scattering all over the floor.

He looked at his watch and noted the time. He could not spare to waste more than fifteen minutes here if he was to leave home on time before the endless crowds of office workers started filling up the public transportation. A glance at the paper in hand, he purposely strode towards his intended direction. The silver tiles gradually gave way to shiny marbled floor, indicating he was close.

A left turn, and he saw a heavy looking wooden door. Next to the door, a bench. There was a little boy sitting on the bench, wearing a fiery red hoodie with his head down.The boy was alone. He lifted his face for a moment. Upon seeing Sehun, the boy cried.

Surprise was an understatement. "What- stop crying,"he said, panicking. The boy cried even louder when Sehun had unintentionally raised his voice. He looked around for help. The hallway was deserted, and a glance at the nearby room, it seemed like there was no one.

Internally, he groaned. Sehun was not particularly good with kids and he had actually intended to walk away but the kid suddenly cried. It would seem mean to just leave the boy crying alone.

Walking nearer, he towered over the boy. "Kid, don't cry,"he tried. The boy stopped crying for a bit to look at him and he could not believe it but the boy cried even louder afterwards. He sighed. "I'm trying to help you. Are you lost? Where are your parents?"

Sehun grew impatient at receiving no response. The watch on his wrist ticked restlessly, diminishing his hope of returning on time. Sehun stood there trying to coax the crying boy for what seemed like an eternity when he heard footsteps behind him. There were click-clacks of a pair of heels. 'Good, at last. A woman would know what to do.'

He turned around to call for help and saw a young lady, dressed impeccably in cream coloured blouse and matching skirt. She was walking towards the opposite direction but was glancing in their way curiously.

He did not want to look pathetic but he was desperate, so he called her over for help. Immediately, she rushed over and sat next to the still crying boy. "What's the matter?"she asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter