One: This Man

Four’s an Extra
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Happy BD my baby Byun :)

Daeon rushes towards the door of her sister’s hospital room with agony painting all tips of her face, her legs a hurried version of a rocket as she quickly jogs to meet hand with the twinkling knob of the room. Once it’s in her hold, she pushes the door open and enters. 

Her sister lies on a hospital bed smiling at someone tall Daeon can only see their backs. Daeon’s agony simplifies when she sees the smile on her sister’s face, and she falters in most of her overwhelming emotions as she walks — with more stead than before — towards her sister’s bed. Once near, she leans against it with a harsh sigh to announce her presence, and she doesn’t notice the tall doctor in his white overcoat turn to peer at her curiously as she does so. 

“Really, Dani, you’re insane.” She mutters, sighing into her hand with closed eyes as she tries to catch breath after her excessive run from her university to her sister’s hospital — where she usually gets her checkups for her weak heart — that is at least an hour away from her university. 

She didn’t take the car to university today because the weather in the morning had been grand and she wanted a good day walk there. It ended up as a bad idea because by the end of her classes, her sister calls her to tell her she has been in a car accident. Even though she constantly reassured the older sister that she was fine; it still made Daeon drop all of her books and run all the way to the hospital after taking two buses to get her to where it was. Daeon’s not a heart patient like her sister, but she might as well be by the heart attack she got by the news. Running didn’t help soothe her erratic heart pumps, either. 

“Daeon-ah! You’re here! Wow, that’s fast. They just finished casting my leg.” Her sister practically beams, all smiles and sunshines and radiance. She claps her hands like she’s five when she’s already near her eighteenth year a few days from now. Daeon guessed that her broken leg was her birthday present from God. He wasn’t always a nice guy, so Daeon wasn’t even surprised. Dani’s also an extremely clumsy person so she wasn’t helping her case, either. 

Daeon lifts her head from where she’s leaning it against the bed to shoot her younger sister an exasperated look, still pretty oblivious to the tall man that’s watching them interact with curiosity. “Mom will kill you once she finds out, Dani,” she gives her sister’s body a long one over. “What else did you break?”

Her sister, Dani, zips her lips in a pout, her long honey hair cascading down her s and making her look younger than she is. Then again, her actions and mentality do that enough for her. “You say it as if I break all parts of my body everyday.”

Daeon gives her a look in disbelief. Dani purses her lips at the knowing look in her older sister’s face and stays silent. Finally, Daeon realizes there’s someone standing next to them when she hears the squeak of his shoes. 

She turns to him — that has been strangely silent in her interaction with her sister — and is taken aback when she sees him staring at her. He’s immensely tall and while she’s half-standing next to him; she resembles nothing more than a miniature dwarf. His hair is silky black and combed back and his wide eyes seem slightly squinted as he stares at her, like he’s seeing something in her that only he can see and no one else. His pupils are the most beautiful shade of dark brown and it might be because he’s beautiful in general, and that it amplified the color of his eyes, or maybe because as he continues to stare at her, the sun from the open window in the side of her sister’s bed is leaking sunlight over his silhouette and making him look out of this world, almost ethereal. His whole demeanor is glinting on like actual light, and she doesn’t know why she has to fight a strong urge to melt under the fiery gleams of his eyes. He’s so beautifully enticing that her lips gape open and her breath escapes the deepest cranes of her ribcage. 

There’s something that glitters on right away when their eyes meet. It’s strange and new and she hadn’t ever felt like it before. There’s a sort of liquid fire drizzling inside of her heart the longer she stares at him, eating everything inside of her and rendering her helpless and hopeless, like an empty canvas. There’s something kind inside of his eyes that contradicts with his intimidating height. Daeon feels like there’s a tight fist inside of her body, a fist she grew familiar with; grows loose, and the longest she stares at him, the more dangerously free this sensation of hers grows. She blinks, trying to pull herself out of this trance of desire that entrapped her, but her blinking only allows her eyes to fall right on the tall man again, and her chest constricts at every blink. A sensation similar to pain spreads in her, in her soul, in her core, and she furrows her eyebrows at the strength of it, hoping that it’d fade away like smoke anytime now. But when it doesn’t, Daeon knows that she’s going to be trapped under this influence that this man is radiating forever.

Unaware of this; the man feels exactly the same. The moment she entered the room, the whole phase of the air seemed to change. What once was free became frigid, frozen like angry, jagged icicles. Her lithe body covered with the dozen layers of clothes did not fall unnoticed under his eyes, and her lush, thick hair fell past her chest all the way to her lean hips, hiding her body even more under all those protective layers. Part of her hair is covering the left side of her neck, and he doesn’t know why, but something draws him to that place and he keeps on watching it as she speaks to her sister. Her face resembles a heart, her chin sharp and her skin spotless; eyes wide and observant, yet somehow lean and cat-like, almost as if she’s always frowning so her eyes stuck on that shape. Her lips are the most beautiful pair of profuse, rosy skin that he has seen, and he’s attacked by an overwhelming urge to kiss her. 

“That’s doctor Park, Daeon-ah, Park Chanyeol,” Dani, whether she’s oblivious or not by the static that’s sizzling between them, introduces with a chirpy voice. “You finally got to meet him after all those skipped appointments of mine, eh?”

Daeon’s pulled back to earth by an abundant emotion of guilt, as if her skipped appointments are her reasons for not meeting this man earlier, even though she refused them out of her busy time rather than anything else. She knew about doctor Park, how could she not when he was the only man her family ever gushed about. He’s her sister’s doctor for four months now, and she only just got to meet him; by accident, too. A single question lit up in her head, why is she incredibly attracted to him, when she rarely is attracted to people?

“Oh, um, hello,” the doctor fumbles with his words, his squishy cheeks looking oddly pinkish under all of his wild imagination for the gorgeous speciman in front of him. He draws a hand out of his coat’s pocket and wipes it on the coat, before offering it to her. “I’m your sister’s heart doctor. I heard a lot about you from the entire family. Good to finally meet you.” 

Daeon’s surprised by his low, throaty baritone, a tone that didn’t fit with his babyface. Daeon’s also astonished by how big and veiny his hand is, and she has a ridiculous thought about how bad a punch or a slap would feel by that hand. She also felt secure, safe, and she has no idea why she began to feel this way towards him, too.

“Likewise.” She takes his big hand and shakes it slowly, the touch of his skin against hers sending an electrical jolt down her body. In order to hide the huge effect his touch has on her, she turns back to her sister with a clear of .

“How’s your heart, anyway?” She asks, “I thought you had some kind of accident and now you’re admitted for a broken leg?”

Before her sister can say anything, Doctor Park interrupts with his low-pitched voice, staring at Dani with a ghost of a smile on his face. 

“She didn’t need an adrenaline pump, fortunately. Her heartbeats’ rate is normal right now. She had a minor flare because of shock but she’s pretty stable as if now. She’d need to stay in her cast, though, for at least three weeks so her kneecap can return back to normal.”

She doesn’t look at him when she speaks next, still peering at her sister and hoping that she can remain strong enough to keep her attention averted from the man she’s extremely pulled to. 

“You’re an idiot.” She tells her younger sister, sounding fond. 

“Yes,” Dani snorts, “But you love this idiot.”

 

-

 

Dani’s to be admitted for a few days in the hospital to check for her heart and to rest for her broken leg. It was an order from doctor Park because he knows how playful Dani gets and he wants absolutely no chance in her hurting herself again or ruining her cast, at least not until he’s sure her bone is slowly healing to a point where it’s safe to let Dani loose on the streets.

Among these days, Daeon’s oddly complacent to her appointments, always visiting her there and getting her her meds, hoping that she’d get a glimpse at the handsome doctor. She’s an extremely introverted girl so most of her free time (from University) is spend home being a homebody and ignoring the world, but now she has a purpose other than being a busy girl with no life, and that purpose is in the form of doctor Park.

She realizes that Park Chanyeol, the cardiologist, is a big introvert, just like her, so most of their interactions happened when her sister is around and he’s there for a checkup. Their ‘interaction’ happened to be silence and stolen glances. By his personality with her sister, she expected him to be outgoing and upfront, but he’s always quiet and avoidant around her, trying to search for an excuse to either stare at her or run away. Maybe it’s because he’s nervous around her and he doesn’t know how to act, or maybe he simply doesn’t like her because she gives him some type of feeling. Whatever it is, it’s working perfectly in making Daeon feel absolutely insecure.

But it isn’t like she isn’t feeling the same. Every time the doctor enters the room for Dani’s checkups, she’d stand and awkwardly watch them interact, avoiding h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter