ONE

The Fourth Quarter Quell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

**********

 

 

"You are my mentor. Of course, you have to be present."

 

"Eunha can accompany you."

 

"You played a big part why I won, Yerin. Allow yourself to have fun."

 

"Being surrounded by those pompous people is far from having fun, Eunwoo."

 

I give him a disgusted look, taking my glass of wine with me as I plan to retire the night. However, his next words have me halt my steps as my grip on my glass tightens.

 

"Is it because of her?"

 

I look back at him and raise my left eyebrow. "I don't know who you're talking about." I nonchalantly say before walking away as fast as I could, not wanting to hear more of what he has to say.

 

I know where the conversation may end if I stayed and I don't really want to talk about it. I don't want to talk about her. Not after I have convinced myself that I have nothing to do with her anymore. 

 

I sigh as I enter my room in the train. Eunwoo just finished his Victor tour in other districts and we are going somewhere I am not certain about. Yes, he is the latest Victor of the Hunger Games. He won the 99th Hunger Games and as his only mentor, he managed to survive with my help. I sent him food when the other tributes starved to death. It wasn't hard to gain sponsors anyway, with his looks, everyone in the Capitol was lining up to give a part of their wealth just to save him. Basically, he is a Capitol darling.

 

Everyone says I was too, during my time. I won the Games a year before him. I had no mentor to help me because after the revival of the Games, I am the first Victor of the District Twelve. So it was surprising to receive so much help in the arena when no one was there to facilitate my needs.

 

As a knock ruins my peace, I instinctively grab the knife hidden under my pillow. 

 

"Unnie?"

 

I sigh hearing the soft voice. Our is here and I clearly know what her motive is. I put back the knife and chug my wine in one go. She doesn't like it when I drink. She says I turn into a dog who keeps whining about nonsense and she keeps reminding me she doesn't want to deal with me when it happens. I didn't like drinking before as well. I hate the taste and the new personality it gives me. Not until I came back from the Games as a Victor, I need something to help me sleep, to escape the nightmares.

 

"Come in, Eunha yah." I say, softly. Despite her being such an annoying sometimes, Eunha gained a soft spot in me. She's like a younger sister. After all, Eunha has always been there for me when I need a friend the most.

 

She quietly walks in until she reaches my bed and sees my pink cheeks. "Have you been drinking?"

 

"Just one glass." I raise my hands to show defeat but she only rolls her eyes as she scans my room for any sign of alcoholic beverages. When she sees nothing, she sighs, taking the space beside me on my bed. 

 

"I talked to Eunwoo—"

 

"No, I'm not going to the party." I cut her off knowing where she is going with it.

 

"Unnie... you need to."

 

"Not when you'll cover me up."

 

"Not this time unnie. This is a big event. Everyone will surely look for you." Eunha sighs and looks at me with her sympathetic expression. "You know you can't always avoid her unnie."

 

"I can. So far I have been, with your help."

 

"I know this is none of my business but since I'm kind of helping you. Can I at least know why you're avoiding her?" Eunha asks. "Did you fight?"

 

"We didn't."

 

"Then why?"

 

I gulp as she holds my hand like is trying to assure me that I can trust her. But I do trust her, I just don't think it's a relevant discussion knowing she has a lot of responsibilities right now. 

 

"Nothing. Maybe I want to spare myself from the damage she may cause me." My reply is supposed to end with that first word but my tongue has betrayed me for it slipped a few more words that summarize the deep thoughts I have been having.

 

"Oh unnie..."

 

"It's okay. I knew from the start that this will never work."

 

"Not me. I actually expected something from the two of you." Eunha disagrees.

 

"At least now you know you should not expect anymore." I give out a smile and lie down on my bed, indirectly telling her it's the time of the day when I need to be alone.

 

She sighs and stands up. "I'm sorry unnie, I really can't help you this time. All Victors from the districts are required to attend... but I can help you avoid her during the party."

 

"That will do, I guess. Thanks Eunha yah."

 

She nods and turns to leave my room but before she can do so, she looks back at me with an unsure expression. "Of all the times you were avoiding her during the tour, she was looking for you." She inhales deeply and I can see her gulping hard so I raise an eyebrow at her despite feeling my heart beating fast hearing what she just said. She sighs and proceeds, "SinB cares, unnie. I think you might want to hear that." She gives a flat smile and finally closes the door behind her, leaving me to more chaotic thoughts.

 

SinB what? No, you don't know her Eunha…

 

There is no way she would give a damn to someone, well, except her sister. Because if she did, that would be history. I know her and I know not to let myself be foolish by hoping that she, at least for once, cared for me.

 

I still remember that day when I met her. It was during my Victor tour in District One. The Mayor wanted to meet me after my speech so we had dinner, together with the other high-ranking officials and the Victors of their District. She was late, taking everyone's attention as she entered the hall with her elegant look. More so, she was staring at me, right through me as she took her seat across. Admittedly, I held my breath for I don't know how long as our eyes locked. I only saw her in broadcasts and she looked a lot more beautiful in person.

 

She is famous, to say the least. Everyone drools over her. After the Games' range of age was changed to seventeen to twenty-four. She is so far the youngest Victor to win the games. She won the 94th Hunger Games when she was seventeen. She has a good physique, charming looks, and inviting eyes. Basically, she is one of Capitol's favorites. After all, she came from District One, where everyone is privileged. This probably explains why most tributes from them bravely volunteer— why she volunteered.

 

I hate the privileged, so much. This is why Eunha calls me a hypocrite whenever I show my hatred toward those people. I claim that I hate them, but I'm sleeping with one of them. 

 

I didn't even know I like girls. Well, not until she happened and got my life become more complicated than it already was.

 

It all started on the same day I first saw her, during my tour in District One, as I have mentioned. We were having dinner and despite my obvious efforts to occupy myself with the topic the others were having, I couldn't help but be bothered because of her. I could feel her eyes on me. It was making me unbelievably uncomfortable yet in a way, I was thrilled. When I looked at her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter