episode 2 (warning it’s a long one)

in a trance ♦ seven companies make one group ♦ chapter 3 is out!
 

   the Beginning

 

The lights a newly furnished dorm , the living room with a sliding glass door leading to the veranda, looking out over the city. A grey couch and matching love seat against the wall, with a small coffee table infront of it.  A tv on a small tv stand matching the light white wood and glass of the coffee table. 

 Mingxia sat on the couch patiently waiting for the other girls to arrive.

Earlier that week

RBW ENtertainment

Mingxia bowed politely in greeting to one of the PR and HR reps as she took a seat before them, eyeing the small cameras set up around the room.

“This is the new contract for the project group,” the HR rep said handing her the documents. “It doesn’t nullify your current contract, but coincides with it. It’s a three year contract, you will train and prepare for this project group this year and the expected debut is either late next summer or early fall. You will also be filmed as a part of a series covering the growth and development of the project group. You along with 6 other trainees will share a dorm, which will be open to move into this upcoming weekend.”

YG Black Label

Yebin nodding her head as the rep spoke. “The seven of you will be held as a priority in the next year. Each company is ending reps, managers and other staff to one company to make sure you are all being handled in the best way. The new company housing all of you for the time being is ONE Label, everyone stills holds their identity as their company’s trainee.”

Big Hit Entertainment

Yayin listened attentively while looking through the contract alongside the Mandarin version. “You will each be given a camera to document your feelings, emotions or anything you want to. With that being said, none of your group mates or even the staff members are allowed to say or post anything about the project group.”

Sm Entertainment

Hyejin looked through the contract. “Which means you need either not post on social media or run it through the PR team first. Anything containing any hint or information about this project means termination from the group.”

CUBE Entertainment

Jaelin nodded enthusiastically to the rep. “The project group during this training period will go through evaluations as you would normally. All positions from your audition will be taken into account when deciding where you will fall in position line up. Evaluations can contain covers or original pieces, within these evaluations there will also be unit evaluations. You may be broken up into groups to either preform or promote, to find the best combination for future activities these will be held.”

JYP Entertainment

Chaemin rapped her foot nervously. “Chaemin, we require your parents permission again to let you move in with the others, as well as them to look over the contract as well.”

Pledis Entertainment

“Training will held in a small building, including a practice room and a vocal training room along with extra space to spend time in between trainings.” Aika nodded. “All foreign members will be offered Korean classes, but considering all of you have completed your language courses you don’t need to worry about that. You will all be issued ID Cards and passes for the new company, which you will use to get in the building."

 

 

Yebin opened the door to the dorm peeking her head in she smiled at Mingxia whom stood up and bowed in greeting, Yebin wearing [clothes here]. The YG trainee stepping inside, removing her shoes pulling a large hard case suitcase behind her.

“I’m Min Yebin.” She introduced herself to Mingxia whom nodded, fidgeting as Yebin’s shoes laid spaced apart.

“Xu Mingxia.” The younger said touching her chest, Yebin nodding with a smile looking around. “There are cameras and cards on our beds.” The Chinese girl muttered Yebin catching it and nodding leaving her suitcase in the middle of the living room to go look around the rooms.

Mingxia moved the suitcase against the wall in the hallway leading to the two rooms. Yebin opened the door Mingxia did and smiled spotting her name on a card beside a camera.

The door opening again, Aika trudged in her suitcases jumping as she noticed Mingxia standing by the couch, the younger bowing as Yebin exited the room with card and camera in hand. She bowed to Aika as well, whom smiled and returned the greeting.

“I’m Mayashi Aika. What are your names?” The Japanese woman asked, putting her suitcase inside while removing her shoes.

“Min Yebin.”

“Xu Mingxia.”

“Nice to meet you guys, where should I put my bag?” She asked looking around a bit, Mingxia gesturing to the hall where their suitcases were.

“We have name cards and cameras on our beds too.” Yebin instructed, Aika nodded gong to check out the rooms. Yebin sat on the couch, looking at the camera, playing around with it a bit.

“Ah, what year were you born?” Yebin broke the silence as Mingxia went to fix the shoes at the entrance.

“2001.” Yebin waited a few seconds for her to finish speaking but, with nothing happening. Yebin nodded.

“I was born in 2000.” Yebin added, mingxia nodded going and sitting on the couch.

Aika opened the first door, scanning the room for her name. Closing the door, she walked to the room accross from it, opening the door she noted that there were 3 beds, soon spotting her name on a card. 

The front door opened again, Yebin and Mingxia both standing again and leaning to look at the entryway. Black shoes stepping in, the camera panning up the light denim pants, to a black cropped tank top with flannel. Along with short blonde hair just above her shoulders, she bowed her head politely in greeting to the two as she removed her shoes. Yebin stepping forward to take her suitcase, Mingxia bowing in greeting.

"Hello, I'm Kwon Jaelin." She said, stepping into the dorm, Aika stepping back into the main room, bowing politely to the new arrival.

"Aika Hayashi."

"Min Yebin."

"Xu Mingxia."

"Nice to meet you guys. Is anyone else here yet?" Jaelin asked, looking around the living room.

"Just us for now." Yebin answered, "Ah. We each have a card with our name on it and a personal camera on our beds."

"There's two rooms accross from each other." Aika added, jaelin nodding heading to look through the rooms. The other three sitting in silence as Aika read the card, Jaelin opening the first door where both Mingxia and Yebin found theirs. Jaelin went and grabbed hers from a top bunk, smiling as she stepped back to the living room.

"This is so cool." Jaelin said, as Mingxia got up and went to the kitchen, looking through the cabinets and fridge. 

"Is it empty?" Yebin asked, Mingxia nodding as the door opened again. The four peeking their heads into the entryway, as black converse stepped in, panning up the tall black socks, and red floral dress with a white tee underneath. The new arrival smiled pushing her hair out of her face, and bowed politely, pulling in her large suitcase. 

"Hello." She greeted, as she removed her shoes, the girls greeting her as well. "I'm Wei Yayin, nice to meet you all. Please take of me."

"Kwon Jaelin."

"Aika Hayashi."

"Min Yebin."

"Xu Mingxia." 

Yayin nodded, stepping into the dorm, Jaelin taking her suitcase placing it beside the others.

"I think I saw your name, in one of the rooms. We each have a card with our name on it and a camera on our bed." Aika stated, motioning Yayin to come with her. Yebin nodded, as Jaelin walked back to the couch, Mingxia continuing in the kitchen. As Yayin walked with Aika to their room, finding her card and camera. The two heading back to the living room as Mingxia laid on her stomach on the floor, writing in her notebook.

Yayin glancing as she went to sit with the others smiling and going to sit infront of the other.

"You speak Mandarin?" Yayin asked, the other three watching the interaction, as Mingxia nodded.  "Making a grocery list?" Yayin continued in Mandarin, Mingxia nodded again, eyeing Yayin. "Shes making a grocery list." Yayin pointed out, the other three transtioning into understanding leaning forward as Mingxia moved to the coffee table.

"I-I don't know the Korean versions of these things." Mingxia said, the other three shocked she was able to actually speak Korean. The door opening, brought their attention to the main door again. Short heeled black shoes stepped in, a colorful and ruffled dress panning to wide eyes and a sweet smile, as she bowed pulling in her suitcase.

"Hello." They all returned the bow, as they stood up and stood before the entryway. "“I’m Park Hyejin.” She stated removing her shoes smiling at the five girls now standing before her.

“Kwon Jaelin.”
“Hayashi Aika.”
“Wei Yayin”
“Min Yebin.”
“Xu Mingxia.”
“We’ve done this so many times now, I’m gonna have everyone’s surname memorized.” Yebin joked as they stepped back to let Hyejin in, as Jaelin mentioned the card and camera in one of the rooms.
Hyejin glancing into the kitchen before opening the door Aika and Yayin both were staying in. Grabbing the card and camera she walked back to the living room where the others were sitting in silence. Their phones all chimed or vibrated gaining their attention. Opening their phones, the notices they were part of a new group message.

The girls all nodded before returning to the awkward silence of the new dorm. Hyejin smiled at all of them before clapping her hands once gaining their attention.

“We should divide up chores and responsibilities.” Hyejin offered, the others nodding.

June 2020

You took charge pretty fast.

“I was one of the leaders of the trainee group I auditioned with. Plus I wear my dorms leader.” Hyejin answered chuckling.

May 2019

Hyejin sat on the floor beside Mingxia with Yayin on her other side.

“Also we should know how to address each other.” Jaelin added, the others agreeing.

“I think I might be the oldest.” Aika said looking at the others to see if they were gonna dispute it. “1995.” The girls all stared at her shock, Yebin blinked at her not expecting that.

“I’m 1997.” Jaelin said raising her hand from the other side of Yebin.

“1999.” Hyejin said with her hand raised.

“2000.” Yebin said, smiling as Aika nd Jaelin looked at her softly, before turning their attention to the two Chinese girls.

“2001.” They said at the same time, looking to each other in shock. No one expecting them to be that similar off the bat.

“I wonder if the last trainee is the youngest.” Aika said, fidgeting with her thumb.

“Since it’s our first day, we should go grocery shopping and clean. Let’s spilt up for today and we can decide a certain schedule or something later.” Hyejin offered the other five agreeing.

“I’ll go grocery shopping.” Mingxia offered, Hyejin nodded, as Yebin volunteered as well.

“I’ll go with her, I don’t really like cleaning.” Yebin stated smiling awkwardly as Hyejin nodded.

“Jaelin unnie?” Hyejin asked Jaelin nodded agreeing to going with the younger two. “Okay! Do you have a list?” Hyejin asked as Aika and Yayin began looking for cleaning supplies.

“Mingxia was working on one already.” Jaelin pointed out, the younger showing it to Hyejin whom wrote a few things down in Korean.

“If we think of anything I’ll just message you guys.” Hyejin says as the three stand and grab their bags and phones.

 

An hour later, Yayin vacuuming the floor as Hyejin wipes down the counters in the kitchen and Aika was cleaning the clear sliding door to the veranda. The door opening, Aika being the closest leaned into the door way and smiled as a girl in a high school uniform pulled in a suitcase behind her, the girl bowing and greeting Aika. The other two soon joining the oldest at the door.

“Ah, hello! I’m Lee Chaemin!” She greeted bowing politely as she removed her shoes, the three helping her inside.

“I’m Park Hyejin, I was born in ‘99”

“I’m Hayashi Aika, I was born in ‘95.”

“Ah- we’re 11 years apart.” Chaemin pointed out, the three stood in shock little loading bars above their head. “I was born in 2006.” She added, the three slowly nodding.

“I’m Wei Yayin, I was born in 2001.” The Chinese girl stated, finally coming to.

“Where is everyone else?” Chaemin asked as she stepped into the living room pulling her suitcase with her.

“They are out grocery shopping. Actually, are you allergic to anything?” Hyejin asked, pulling out her phone.

"Nope!" Chaemin chimed, as Aika showed her the bedrooms. Smiling and jumping seeing her card and camera, the two returning to the living room. 

 

Jaelin pouted as she leaned on the cart, the camera facing her from its spot in the seat, where kids normally sat. Panning the camera over to Yebin and Mingxia whom were ordering meat, at the counter. 

"Mingxia, wasn't sure the correct terms and amounts for ordering so Yebin is herg uide while I'm with the cart after going to grab other things we wanted." Jaelin informed the camera, since they only brought the one camera to blend in more. 

"That's everything, right?" Yebin asked as her Mingxia put what they ordered into the cart. Mingxia nodding, Yebin smiling at her as the three headed to check out.

 

When the three returned to the dorm, they each greeted Chaemin whom had changed into more comfortable clothing, and was working on her assignments in the kitchen.

June 2020

How was your first day in the new dorm?

"Awkward, as you'd expect." Jaelin stated, smiling and chuckling at the thought.

"Weird, it's always strange to move into a new space, especially when they're girls I don't know." Chaemin said, nodding.

 

Hyejin walked into the kitchen as Mingxia cooked, the older checking to see if she needed anything. The others in their respective rooms, unpacking their things. Room 1, consisting of Jaelin and Chaemin both in the top bunks while Mingxia and Yebin both were on the bottom bunks. Jaelin placing a teddy bear on her bed, as Chaemin continued working in the kitchen. Yebin, put some of her clothes away in the extra room used as their wardrobe. White cabinets placed against the wall, each of their names on tags ont he outside. 

Aika unpacked a few of her korean books as Yayin, put a few book on the bookshelf in their shared common room, a few in Mandarin and a few in Korean. Room 2, belonging to Hyejin whom volunteered to take the top bunk, Yayin whom took the bottom bunk leaving Aika with solo bed in the room. 

The girls spent the rest of the night unpacking, eating dinner together and heading to bed for their morning meeting tomorrow. 

 

The Next Morning

Hyejin rolled out of bed first, waving to the camera in their room while yawning, as she quietly went to the bathroom. The dorm still dark, as Mingxia got out of her bed walking into the kitchen filling a kettle with water before looking through the fridge and pulling out ingredients for breakfast. Jaelin was the next to wake up she rolled over, checking her phone before getting out of bed and quietly exiting the room. Stretching as Hyejin left the bathroom her hair now up in a ponytail the two awkwardly bowed to each other before uietly walking past each other.

Hyejin peeking her head into the kitchen seeing Mingxia with her hair in a bun and airpods in while she quietly cut up vegtables. Hyejin smiled before heading into the younger girls' room, noticing Chaemin and Yebin both still asleep. Lightly shaking them, the two slowly woke up. Chaemin rubbed her eyes while Yebin stretched looking around the room blankly while blinking. Hyejin made her way back into her shared room, seeing Aika already up and grabbing her skincare stuff as Jaelin exited the bathroom. Yayin, sleeping quietly as Hyejin lightly patted her shoulder. 

"Why is Hyejin unnie so pretty this early in the morning?" Chaemin had asked as they started eating breakfast, causing Hyejin to turn red as Jaelin choked and Ybein giggled. Mingxia shaking her head, motioning her to keep eating. Rice, eggs, an assortment of veggies and a light soup sat on their table and was soon emptied. The girls taking turns getting ready to head out.

 

ONE Label Meeting

The seven entered alongside their new two managers. A short woman with long hair up in a ponytail with looks the definitely could have made her an idol .

Manager Moon Hyemi

A cuddly looking man, with looks that reminds everyone of a teddy bear, but a build that screams athlete.

Manager Son Hakyeon

"How your first night?" The PR Rep they had all met with asked, the seven nodding. "Perfect. Okay, so we wanted to discuss the training plan for you girls." She said, another staff member handing them folders with documents inside. "Starting today, you will train to better your teamwork and to bring everyone to the same level of performance skills. There will be monthly evaluations, as you are all use to. At the end of every month, we will record the dance eval and that will be posted once the show begins to air. You as a team will decide each cover every month."

"Evals for trainees are different than this right?" Chaemin asked, not having been apart of many evaluations. 

"Pretty much the same, trainers will make notes on your performance, and changes will be made to things such as your positions in the group. Any other questions?" She asked, the girls shaking their heads.

 

Practice Room

The seven sat on the floor in silence thinking about the song they should work on first. 

"What if we did a Girls Generation song?" Jaeling suggested after thinking.

"Into the New World, is often covered by rookies, should we do a different song?" Aika asked, Hyejin nodding in agreement.

"Genie?" Chaemin asked, the girls pausing before shaking their heads.

"The Boys, is pretty powerful." Yebin suggested, they all shook their head.

"I Got a Boy?" Hyejin asked, the other six thinking before slowly agreeing. 

"Lets learn the dance first then, do part divisions and stuff once we are almost done." Yebin suggested, the others nodding in agreenance. 

 

 

NEXT WEEK

The seven panted as they wrapped up their first evaluation practice, the trainers nodding in acknowledgment of their performance. 
 

First month in, how was it?

"Quiet. We hadn't really gotten to know each other just yet." Yayin said, playing with a ring she was wearing.

"To promote team building, we are sending you girls on a MT to Jeju Island." A company rep said as the girls sat before her in shock.

 

 

author's note.  I hope everyone enjoyed this (long) chapter!! I was trying to make it perfect without dragging on the episodes longer than I want. This one covered two days while others may skip to the end of the next month with glimpses into the missing time if deemed fit! Anyways, stay safe everyone!