Ramen

Sugar coated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Soojin was making a double journey at her restaurant, cursing under her breath for the extra job she was having. Minnie, the waitress, had become ill so she left her assistants Yuqi and Miyeon taking care of the simplest and most usual dishes and was helping taking orders. It was a tiring job, but at the end of each day she felt her effort was worth it, her restaurant was her dream come true after many years of washing dishes and boss rants while she was a student.

 

Suddenlythe door opened and a snow-white girl entered the establishment, she seemed to be looking for something or someone.

 

- Hello, would you like to order something?

 

The girl looked at her in surprise, her big black eyes looked suspicious. She pointed at the menu on the wall.

 

- Ramen

 

- Ramen? For taking? You want something to drink? A juice, soda?

 

- Ramen.

 

- OK.....

 

Soojin took the order to the kitchen.

 

- A ramen for taking.

 

- In a minute, boss.

 

She served other customers while paying attention to the ramen girl, her eyes roamed all over the place with curiosity, sometimes lingering on some dishes.

 

- Ramen for the trip!

 

The girl went to the cashier, paid and left in a hurry. Soyeon, the cashier girl, noticed that Soojin followed the ramen girl with her eyes and said:

 

- That's the weird ramen girl.

 

- Weird ramen girl?

 

- She comes here every day and asks for ramen, doesn't say anything and leaves.

 

Soojin continued to serve the customers that showed up, but those bright eyes stayed in her memory for the rest of the day.

 

Next day, another busy day without Minnie, Soojin was seriously considering hiring another attendant but didn't know if she could afford it. So the only option was to hope for Minnie to show up soon. She was distracted cleaning a table when she felt someone touch her arm. The ramen girl kept looking at her with those expressive eyes, a little nervous too, with red cheeks.

 

- Hi! What will you want today?

 

- Ramen.

 

- Are you sure?

 

- I made a delicious fried chicken today…

 

- Ramen.

 

- Ok... I'll prepare the order for you.

 

Soojin went to the kitchen and asked Miyeon to prepare the ramen.

 

- Is it the ramen girl? I want to see how she looks like.

 

- Miyeon stuck her face out of the kitchen, trying to see the girl.

 

- MIYEON, CAN'T YOU BE DISCREET?

 

- Please, Soojin, I just wanted to see who she was, she's really beautiful...for a crazy person.

 

- Miyeon, the ramen!

 

Soojin watched the girl while serving the other customers. She seemed anxious but at the same time curious, looking at the various dishes that arrived at the tables. She decided to approach but before she could go, Soyeon announced her order and the girl ran to the cashier, paying her order and leaving the restaurant in a hurry.

 

- What the...?

 

Soojin shook her head, she had other things to worry about, even though those eyes didn't leave her memory.

 

The next day, to Soojin's relief, Minnie returned to work and she could dedicate herself better to work. Her main function was cooking, but after she met the ramen girl she became restless, looking at the hall every minute.

 

- Waiting for someone, soojin?

 

Miyeon asked with a mischievous look.

 

- What? Of course not.

 

- I see... Listen, I think you have a crush on the weird ramen girl.

 

- Stop calling her that.

 

- And what am I going to call her? Nobody knows her name…

 

The next day:

 

- RAMEN.

 

Soojin took the order and went to prepare it, avoiding the mocking looks of Yuqi and Miyeon. She carefully prepared the noodles and made sure to take it to the counter, Soyeon called the girl and she stared at Soojin in surprise when she saw her behind the counter, she paid for her order and left in a hurry.

 

- Minnie, do you know that girl's name?

 

- This girl is an enigma, she always comes at the same time and makes the same request. I've tried to talk to her but she never answers me, I even thought she was deaf but it seems she just doesn't like to talk.

 

- Hmm, I see…

 

Soojin's almost stalker routine continued throughout the week. Whenever the time came for the girl to appear, she took care of the door, something that was noticed by her employees, who found the chef's interest in the girl at least funny. However, the day the girl didn't show up, Soojin thought she should have been late but she didn't show up for the next 3 days, making her worried.

 

- Maybe she got sick of the ramen.

 

- Would it be?

 

- A person can't like boss' ramen that much.

 

- Soojin remained thoughtful, worried about the girl, but she had no idea where to look for her.

 

Hours later, the restaurant was almost closing, Yuqi and Miyeon had already tidied up the kitchen and left with Minnie while Soojin and Soyeon closed the cashier, the door bell indicated that someone had entered the place and Soojin almost left a bag of coins fall when she saw the girl. The misterious girl looked at her and around the restaurant with a question on her face until something passed on the her mind and she greeted them, then left. Soojin wasted no time and went after the girl, she was walking down the street with her head down and got scared when Soojin toucjed her arm.

 

- Hey, are you hungry?

 

And no answer came from the girl, she really didn't seem to understand what Soojin was saying.

 

- Ramen?

 

- Ramen?

 

The girl repeated in reply.

 

- Ramen. Come on.

 

Soojin gestured at the restaurant's direction and they returned to the building, being observed by Soyeon.

 

- Soojin, I'm already going, will you be alright?

 

- Sure, you can go, just close the back door for me, ok? Minnie must have forgotten to close it.

 

Soojin turned to the girl, who was watching her with a mixture of curiosity amd apprehension.

 

- So, you really want ramen?

 

- Ramen.

 

- Are you sure? You will end up getting sick, you eat it every day.

 

The girl continued to look at her with a certain shyness, blushing when Soojin talked to her and fixing her eyes on anything but the chef. Soojin remembered that the girl always looked at the dishes that were served and had an idea. She took the restaurant menu and placed it in front of the girl's eyes.

 

This is bibimbap, bibimbap - Soojin said, while pointing the picture of a convidative bowl of rice and vegetables on the menu.

 

- Bimbap?

 

- Bibimbap. It's made with rice, kimchi and other vegetables.

 

She said slowly, but it seemed like the girl didn't get a word.

 

- Bibimbap.

 

The girl smiled. Soojin continued to show the dishes in the menu, looking at the girl from times to times. She was really paying attention.

 

- ...bulgogi, nakji bokkeum. And this is jeyuk bokkeum.

 

Soojin noticed that on the last plate the expressive eyes got bigger and the girl made a happy face.

 

- Did you like jeyuk bokkeum? It's spicy pork meat, very good. I can do for you.

 

- Jeyuk bokkeum?

 

- Yes, if you want to eat it...

 

The girl looked at the menu, and then at her watch and Soojin understood what worried her.

 

- Hey, no need to worry, I make this dish quickly, most of the ingredients are already pre-cooked.

 

The girl seemed worried anyway. Soojin gave her a thumbs up and took her hand, taking her to the kitchen.

 

- Sit here while I prepare the dish ok?

 

The girl sat on the stool Soojin indicated and watched she started taking containers from the fridge and putting their contents on the big pan over the cooktop. Soojin thought it would be uncomfortable to spend time with someone who barely spoke, but the girl's presence

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter