Some infinities are bigger than other infinities

The babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s been three weeks since Somin’s birthday party and Ji Hyo still haven’t got the chance to see her best friend. They are calling each other, mostly before bed time but meeting in person will always be better. Somin is always asking about her pregnancy and the girl is crazy for asking her about Kim Jong Kook.

 

 

Speaking of the devil, the great Kim Jong Kook made her sleepless last night. We’ll who wouldn’t be? Out of the blue, just before she enters her room, the mighty Kim Jong Kook dropped the bomb by saying ‘I like you, Song Ji Hyo’. She almost drops the glass of water she’s holding when those words escaped Jong Kook’s mouth. No, scratch that, she almost pours the water into Kim Jong Kook because he is not making any sense last night. He was not drunk, she’s sure of that neither high with drugs, of course he will not do such. But he like her? Is that a prank? Ji Hyo almost punch him in disbelief. As far as she can remember, Jong Kook mentioned her that ‘I like you as what you are. I like you and I don’t care about your past’. That sounds one hell of a romantic confession. Imagine someone telling you those words. The normal reaction of any girl in that situation is to jump up and down because a man as handsome and as capable as Jong Kook confesses with nothing but pure words and intentions. She cannot deny her erratic heart beat and butterflies in her stomach, despite her child being there too. But Ji Hyo did not say anything. Her expression is like a deer caught in head light. After saying a rushed ‘good night Jong Kook-shhi’, she went inside her room without a single word. What can she do? Accept Jong Kook’s confession and say ‘Punk, I like you too, the same intensity as how you like me’? But Ji Hyo is not in the position to like someone specially a person like Kim Jong Kook. She loses the father of her child, she’s six months pregnant and she’s a nanny for crying out loud. And most of all, she is feeling insecure and intimidated by Jong Kook’s audacity. She doesn’t have anything while Jong Kook have everything.

 

 

“I want to be a doctor when I grow up.”

“A doctor?”

“Yes. Why do you want to be a doctor?”

“Because I want to help mommies.”

“Ah, just like the doctor when we first see my little baby?”

“Yes.”

 

 

Good thing Hera is having her class today. At least her mind can breathe. Away from the same air that Kim Jong Kook is breathing. She might be overreacting but she’s so nervous to face him. The idea of liking Jong Kook is too good to be true for Ji Hyo, her oh-so-complicated life hinders that happy ending. She’s having doubts that Jong Kook’s feeling might be only out of pity because she looks so helpless to him.

 

 

 

“You know… You know I have something to give you later. Teacher said it is a surprise.”

“A surprise for me?”

“Yes. And can we go to the supermarket later?”

“We have to ask your Daddy.”

 

 

Ji Hyo observed Hera’s reaction upon answering her question. Hera is always so curious about anything. She promised herself not to think too much of Jong Kook and focus onto Hera. She’s been asking her countless of questions since they arrived at school, but she is constantly spacing out. And the little girl kisses her lips whenever Ji Hyo will be blank. And those sweet kisses brought her back to reality. Questions about animals, food, occupation and difficult question like ‘how babies are made?’, Ji Hyo feels like she is in a quiz bee.

 

 

“Can I go inside now?”

“Do you want me to go with you inside your classroom?”

“No. I am a big girl.”

“Okay, Hera. I will just be here in the waiting area.”

 

 

But Hera didn’t go yet. She stays still and look fondly at Ji Hyo. Showing her bright and cheerful face. Anyone will fall for her cute smile and mesmerizing eyes.

 

“Why baby?”

“You forgot something.”

“What is it, Hera?”

“Kiss.”

 

She attacks Hera with kisses all over her face and embrace her too. The little girl giggles a lot when Ji Hyo lightly tickles her tummy. Hera did not forget to kiss Ji Hyo’s tummy too. She’s captivated by Ji Hyo’s growing belly and she care a lot about the hyperactive baby boy inside.

 

 

“You have to go now, baby. The teacher might be waiting for you.”

“Okay. See you later.”

“See you, Hera.”

 

 

As Hera bid her goodbye to Ji Hyo, Jong Kook invaded her mind again. Maybe she needs to talk to Somin about it. Thinking about those words ‘I like you, Song Ji Hyo’. Is that a dream or what? She tried her best not to think about it. For now.

 

Ji Hyo is thankful that she was able to get the book ‘what to expect when you’re expecting’ because it’s a good companion while waiting for Hera because she prefers books rather than browsing the social media. She’s in the middle of learning the proper feeding techniques when Hera’s assistant teacher approaches her.

 

 

“Excuse me, are you the guardian of Kim Hera?”

“Yes.”

“I’m sorry to inform you, Kim Hera is currently in the clinic. She fell down while playing in the playground.”

 

 

Her whole heart sinks. She cannot even digest what the lady is explaining when she went inside to search for the school clinic. The assistant teacher did her best in assuring Ji Hyo that the damage isn’t bad, but her mind can’t stop thinking about the worst. When she enters the clinic, the nurse ushered her into the small pink and white bed in the corner. Her little girl is lying there with a bandage in her left arm. The moment she saw her Nanny Ji Hyo, tears came running down her eyes.

 

 

“Hera?”

 

It broke Ji Hyo’s heart to see Hera in tears. She’s perfectly fine a while ago and here she is, suffering. She effortlessly carried Hera in her arms despite her six months tummy. The little girl is crying while embracing her with her uninjured arm.

 

 

“It hurts.”

“Oh, my poor Hera.”

“Am I going to die?”

“No, baby! Of course not! How can you say that? Of course not. I am here now and few minutes later, for sure your father will be here too.”

“It hurt so much.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter