News

Diamond Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cher's POV

I skated back home, headphone blasting music. Today was another short day at school and I wasn't going to complain because that only meant more time to myself. I reached the small two storey house, removing my shoes and opening the door to enter. 

"I'm home halmeoni." I said to the empty house. This house originally belonged to my grandmother and I have been living with her since I was a child. She was my entire world and still is, even after she passed away. The plan was for me to move back with my parents once I reached high school but I never went. I didn't feel the need or want to go back. 

RING RING

"Hello?"

"Yura-chan." 

"Dad?" I sat up, hearing the gruff voice. 

"Yes, your mother and I are coming to visit you the day after tomorrow so don't go to school." 

"But-" Before I could even say anything else, he hung up. Typical. My dad was caring but cold. He always wanted things his way and he will make sure that things go his way. There was never any room for discussion when it came to him and it annoyed me. But I guess, with the world he grew up in, that's how he is. 

Thankfully, my grandmother taught me how to be independent and that if I want something done, I have to put effort to get it done myself. I took a long shower and cooked something really simple for myself. 

RING RING

"Hello, Yura? Is everything okay?"

"Hey, nii-san (older brother). Yes, everything is okay, don't worry. It's just... dad called a while ago to say that he and mum are visiting me at my place the day after tomorrow. Do you know why he's suddenly visiting? I mean, he didn't even come when it was my birthday last year and there's no special event happening." I walked to the kitchen.

"Honestly, I have no idea. He didn't mention to me about visiting you. But I was surprised too when the staff told me that they flew in this morning. Usually, they tell me in advance." 

"Ugh, I have a bad feeling about this." I pressed my phone to my ear as I poured myself some coffee I brew in the fridge. Drinking coffee has been my habit that I might even seem caffeine addicted to people but I only drink cold coffee. 

"Can you come, please?" 

"I don't know if dad would like that... I mean, if he wanted me to be there, he would have told me." 

"Forget it then." I hung up the phone. Grabbing my drink, I went to my grandmother's room, sitting on her bed. It hasn't been touched since the funeral and I never let anyone, except myself, into the room. I wanted to preserve it and keep it that way as if she might come back. Saying that my grandmother's death tore me apart would be an understatement. 

My mum is Korean while my dad is Japanese. When I was a kid, my parents let me stay with my maternal grandmother in Korea while they travelled back and forth from Japan to Korea. Once my brother was old enough, he handled things in Korea while my parents stayed in Japan. 

My grandmother had been with me through every special event of my life. My first day at school, buying me my first skateboard, my first day at the dance academy, everything. It was a shame that she was no longer here with me. 

"Come on." I slapped my cheeks and went to my own room to do my homework. My grandmother and I stayed in a quieter town, the school was alright and small so people wouldn't find out about my background. 

"I hope all goes well." I sighed and fall onto my bed. 

The next morning, I woke up and had a small breakfast before changing into my uniform to go to school. With my skateboard tucked under my arm, I slipped my beanie on and skated all the way to school. When I arrived, I saw my best friend leaning against the main gate, waiting for me. She bobbed her head to her music. 

"Soyeon!" I jumped up beside her. 

"Hey." She gave a nod, not scared at my scare at all. 

"You look like . Did you not sleep or something?" She gave a look of disgust. I snorted, rolling my eyes. Even as a best friend, Soyeon didn't really know much about my family. Not because I didn't trust her or anything but rather, I felt like there was no need for me to tell her since I didn't even want to be associated with my family in the first place. 

"Gee... Thanks. My dad called me yesterday and said he's visiting with my mum tomorrow. I have a bad feeling about it so I couldn't sleep last night." I explained, opening my locker to exchange my books. 

"Well, you know worrying isn't going to get you anywhere." She shrugged. 

"I know." I yawned, rubbing my eyes. Soyeon was all I cared about, she was fierce, straightforward and cold. We have been friends since the first day of middle school. I wasn't someone who needed a lot of friends so she was all I really needed in my life. Girls who were sensitive and weak just bored the hell out of me. 

"I'm not sure what time they are coming over but my dad told me to skip school so..." I sat down and Soyeon took her seat in front of me. She turned around to face me and talk since the teacher wasn't in yet. 

"How about we hang out after school? Get your mind off things." She suggested. 

"Yes! We can finally try that new cafe that opened two blocks down." I sighed happily. Mrs Kim came in and class finally started. I didn't pay attention most of the time, school work was easy to me and I was a straight A student, not the brag... 

"Alright, class dismissed. On the way out, please come and collect your graded test papers from last week." Mrs Kim said and everyone stood up. I packed my bag and slung it over my shoulder as Soyeon waited for me. We walked to the door, not before stopping at Mrs Kim's desk. She handed Soyeon her test then passed mine to me. 

"It was a pleasure teaching you, Cher." She smiled. 

"Uhh, thanks?" I said, a little confused by the sudden compliment. Mrs Kim smiled back, nodding her head before turning her attention to the student behind me. As Soyeon and I walked out, she turned to me. 

"What was that?" She asked. 

"No idea... But that was weird." I laughed, stuffing my test paper into my bag. She laughed, nodding in agreement. After our remaining classes, Soyeon and I went to that cafe that we were talking about in the morning. It was a nice, small shop specialising in waffles. 

"One waffle with ice cream. One iced American and one cafe latte." Soyeon ordered, without my having to tell her what I wanted. It was quite obvious since she knows about my iced caffeine addiction. She came back with the tray, setting the drink in front of me and the waffle in the middle for us to share. I clapped my hands happily, sipping the cold coffee. 

"Wow, it's good." I smiled. 

"Seriously, your caffeine addiction is just as bad as a crack addiction. The way to kidnap you: an iced coffee, a skateboard and your dance shoes." Soyeon snorted. I laughed and cut a square of the waffle, putting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter