๐Ÿ’Ž E i g h t ๐Ÿ’Ž

BYD | He's Out of My League

My heart thudded as I hear my teacher's voice at a distance. There's two entrance in our classroom, the front where everyone's facing and at the back. Obviously, I chose to go through the latter but I'm contemplating if I should just wait for first period to be over. She's the teacher I'm scared the most, with her sharp words and glares, but then, yedam will wonder why I hadn't come in.

Our principal saw us coming in and she called yedam in her office, I was willing to wait but yedam told me to go ahead. I just hope he's not in trouble because of me.

With that in thought, I didn't want to cause any more troubles for yedam than I already caused. I gathered up the courage and slowly inched to the open door. I wanted to go in unnoticed but yeaaaah, not possible when the teacher stopped in the middle of her lecture and yelled "You dare show up for class? Do you know what time it is?!" I chewed on my inner cheeks as I bow down, my fingers fiddling with the hem of my uniform. We made it to first period... well, at least 15 mins before it ends.

"I'm sorry, I-" I tried to explain, looking at her and avoiding the eyes of my classmates whose eyes are on me but she cuts me off "Why do you even bother going to school Oh minju? It's not like your grades are improving, you're always late, you're not an important member of any club, nor are your extra-curricular outstanding, do you even have something to go to school for?" I closed my mouth and I feel my eyes sting. Even if I seem to always just talk about yedam, I'm serious with my studies.

"May this be a lesson to everyone, this is an example of a student you should not be like if you don't want to have dim future-ah! Yedam!" Her glares turned to smiles as she looked past me and I stiffened.

"I'm glad you can make it! Now here's a bright student! you should all be like yedam and set him as an example-"

"But ma'am yedam's late too!" My eyes snapped at yuna. But I looked down as she turned her head to me cause I know I'll burst out crying if our eyes meet.

"Yuna, even if he is absent, yedam can swiftly ace everything he missed and even exceed expectations unlike your friend who can barely manage to pass anything and struggles to keep up-" I feel my heart ache. I couldn't breathe. I'm beyond humiliated in front of everyone and in front of yedam, as if I couldn't see our differences even more clearly.

I blinked rapidly. I can feel my eyes burn. I'm gonna cry and I can't! I can't humiliate myself further

I covered my mouth and acted out as if I were going to vomit. "Excuse me." I croaked in a hurry and dashed to the rest room where I locked myself in a cubicle and released my pent up emotions.

I closed the lid of the loo and sat on it, squatting while I hugged my knees sobbing. It feels suffocating.

"Minju!" I paused and tried my best not to let out a sob

"Just a second!" I faked another vomit as I try to compose myself.

"Yah! A freshman went put screaming there's a crying ghost in the washroom, now open up." It's no use lying to yuna so I sobbed.

"Hey, it's ok." She comforts.

"I'm humiliated!" I wailed

"We don't agree with her."

"I do!" I'm humiliated but she was not lying.

"You should've stayed to hear how yedam roasted her." I stopped sobbing and sniffed

"What?"

"Open the door and I'll tell you." I sealed my lips together and told her to go away instead.

It became silent so I thought she left when a foot went over the gap of the side of the cubicle and ceiling.

"What the- yah!" I quickly stood up to the side when she moved over, the idiot must've used the other side's basin to cross over

"You're nuts!" I screamed at her as we cramped inside one cubicle

"And you cry alone to death when you have me!" I pouted and she opened her arms. I cried and hugged her. She's the best.

"You done?" She asked and I nodded, wiping my tears, letting go.

"We should go before we get late to the next class and I'll have another round of humiliation. I think I have reached max humiliation for the whole year." I heaved a sigh and opened the cubicle and hurried to the sink to wash my face.

"Don't tell anyone I cried." I mumbled as I wipe my face with a hanky

"If the whole campus haven't heard your wailing maybe." I gave her a blank look through the mirror and she smiled and raised a peace sign.

"Yunaaaa"

"Ok, I promise" we did the best friend handshake and I smiled at her

"How do I look?!"

"Wet?" I frowned and we both laughed. Thank God for bestfriends.

We went out to the washroom laughing but stopped when we saw yedam and jaehyuk "Oh I'm so sorry! Did I make you wait? I forgot about-" I tried to hold on to yuna but she was quick to loop her arm around jaehyuk's who was obviously startled.

"What?" Jaehyuk looks so confused as yuna dragged him away.

"What's that longing look for? Is it for yuna? Or jaehyuk?"

"Yuna!" I immediately answered and looked at yedam. He had his hands on his pockets while he looks at me. I must've sounded defensive! Ugh! I cleared my throat and walked back to the room.

"Sorry, for causing you trouble. Did the principal scold you for being tardy?" I gave him a side glance as I feel him walk beside me.

"I wasn't scolded. I was called to collect the waivers."

"Waivers?"

"For the field trip."

"Oh..." we were almost at the classroom when I stopped walking. I don't think I can face my classmates after that.

I felt a hand on mine and I followed to who it belongs. But my heart's beating already knew before I could even look up to see whose face it belongs to.

"Come on" he smiles and tugs my hand to our classroom and I couldn't really react. When we got back I was bombarded by my classmates

"Minju! You ok?"

"Don't mind her words."

"Yeah, yedam shut her up good" I turned to yedam in surprise "you did?" So yuna wasn't just saying that so I will open the door.

"I just fought for what I believed in." He says looking at me, "That teachers should be the one to encourage and help the students those who they thinkย  lack instead of insulting and discouraging them. Besides, we all have something we all have our own pace when it comes to learning." He smiles. I just stared at his sincere smile and then my classmates took turn with ranting about their own struggles. I feel like tearing up but I smiled cause I'm surrounded by good people.