Going Back

Amor Park

“Ow! Stop slapping me, Dahyun, I’m paying attention!!”, Chaeyoung hissed at her at what must’ve been Dahyun’s 100th time slapping her. Dahyun eyes her worriedly before turning away to listen to the teacher.

 

Chaeyoung had known Dahyun for a long time - they were friends ever since elementary school. She still remembers how she met her - Dahyun was crying by the side of the classroom and she went to comfort her. They became close friends; they shared every secret with each other, they hung out whenever possible. Despite various arguments, they both know that their friendship is too strong to be broken - they have been through so much. 

 

She still remembers how, during the results day of their finals, Dahyun arrived at her house puffy-eyed with luggage in tow. She knew then, something was really wrong.

 

“Chae.. I failed my finals…”

“My parents kicked me out of the house..”

 

Both of them cried the rest of the day, their bond becoming even stronger.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Dahyun, look, Chae’s daydreaming again.” a worried Sana whispers.

Sana did not know Chaeyoung for long, but she knew that Chaeyoung was a person who would not daydream nor zone out; she was always so energetic. Dahyun sighs, and tells Sana to not worry. 

 

gosh, something is really wrong, she mumbled to herself.

 

“CHAEYOUNG. SON CHAEYOUNG. SON CHAEYOUNG IF YOU DONT REPLY ME YOU’LL BE OUT OF THIS CLASS IN NO TIME!”, yelled Mr Kim, the Biology teacher.

 

Biology class. Chaeyoung’s most hated class; how is one supposed to remember every single definition, every single process for the exam?! It doesn't help that the teacher is so boring and oblivious to things happening around him, she could literally fall asleep and the teacher would not notice her.

 

If only she was around.

 

Mina’s favourite subject was Biology; she loved every part of it, from understanding the processes to doing the dissections of animals - she made Chaeyoung’s experience of it much more enjoyable.

 

“That's it. Son Chaeyoung, get out NOW.”

 

Chaeyoung, finally awaken to her senses, apologises profusely and Mr Kim relented.

 

“Last chance, Chaeyoung.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Chae? Chaeyoung? Son Chaeyoung-ah!”

 

“CHAEYOUNG, STOP DAYDREAMING, CLASS IS OVER”, Tzuyu yelled, her face full of frustration and worry.

 

Chaeyoung could only nod - no one wants to talk back to an angry Tzuyu. Both her and Dahyun are also close friends with Tzuyu, they met her at middle school and they have been close since then. Tzuyu may seem cold, heartless, you name it. However, deep down, she loves the company of Chaeyoung and Dahyun - both of them know how hard it is for one to adapt to another country at such a young age.

 

As Chaeyoung nodded, Tzuyu could see her puffy eyes and wet cheeks; something was wrong.

 

“Chae, you alright?” she asks as Chaeyoung turns around, having wiped her tears. She smiles, then replied, “Of course, why wouldn't I be?” 

 

Of course you aren't fine. Chae, stop lying to me. Only the arrival of Dahyun prevented her from questioning Chaeyoung further.


 

Tzuyu : Momo, Chae is still not fine, I saw her crying 

Momo: give her time chewie, she needs time to think about it 

Tzuyu: im worried, what if she does something dumb

Momo: don't worry, we are all here for her, aren't we? let's do this together 

Tzuyu: lets hope for the best, see you at the cafeteria

 

Tzuyu still remembers that day. The day when she left Chaeyoung.

 

She doesn't want Chaeyoung to be hurt again.


 

When the trio arrived at their table to eat, the others had arrived already - Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana and Jihyo. Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo were her seniors, whilst the others shared the same classroom as them. Chaeyoung loved them, all of them were with her through her toughest times as well as her happiest times. To her, they are the best group of people in the world.

 

As they were eating their lunch, everyone’s attention turned to Nayeon and Jeongyeon - they were literally flirting with each other ; pinching each other, teasing each other...

 

“Nayeon just confess to Jeongyeon already,” joked Sana. The two turned a shade of red as the rest laughed along.

 

They were exactly like us. 

 

“Thinking about her?”, questioned Momo.

 

Momo was her best friend. She was in many ways opposite of her - she loves to hangout, she's noisy and she LOVES jokbal. After she left, Momo was there to comfort her, assuring her that everything was okay. 

 

when in fact it was not.

 

“I'm sorry, I have to leave now”, mumbled Chaeyoung as she hastily dashed out of the cafeteria. Tzuyu wanted to follow her, but Momo quickly stopped her, saying “She needs time, chewie, let her be alone.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After what must’ve been hours of walking, she finally arrived. 

 

Amor Park.

 

The park used to be a place of happy memories, a place where she could freely relax and not be worried about anything. Now, it's a place of broken promises and hurt feelings.

 

As she loitered around the park, she thought to herself : 

what went so wrongly for all of this to happen?