Darkness

The Lie of the Light

Fifty Years Ago 

 

“I’m scared, Chaewon.” Hyejoo sank down to her knees. The cold wracked her body. It was the worst in her chest. Each breath she took brought in more cold. 

Chaewon followed. “You’re still the same.” Just her being near helped to quell some of the cold. Hyejoo was afraid she'd take too much. 

She shook her head. “You don’t know what happens in my head. Nothing can be the same there.”

“So tell me.” 

An arm went around Hyejoo’s shoulders and she was pulled to someone’s chest. 

“Do you want to?” 

Hyejoo shook her head. “It’s dark.” She tried to pull away. “It’ll seep out to you.” As she spoke, she could feel the cold rise up . 

Chaewon didn’t let her go. “We can share it.” 

“I can’t,” she said. “What if you can’t bear it?”

“And what if you can’t?” Chaewon asked. “If you’re overcome by the darkness, I won’t be able to follow. Before then, I can help.” 

Before then. Another reminder that it would happen. That this was the path the moon had chosen for her. A path with no light, one that seemed to go even further with each passing second. 

Hyejoo just shook her head. “One person to handle it is enough.” 

The arms around her tightened. “You’re sounding like a fairy again.” 

“Here their cruel ideals are correct,” Hyejoo tried to pull away again, “and this burden fell upon me, not you.” She put her hands on Chaewon's arms and carefully pushed them away. In that moment, the cold surged to her hands, trying to seep out towards the other girl. Hyejoo forced it down, but it still came. She wrenched her hands away. If anything about Chaewon was corrupted, she'd never forgive herself. 

Chaewon caught her hand. The touch burned. “No, I can’t let you hold onto it by yourself.” Her bright eyes shone. They pleaded with her to listen. 

The cold slipped from her grasp. It wrenched away from Hyejoo and towards Chaewon. “Let go.”

Then she lost it. Darkness clouded her vision, much of it coalescing around the girl in front of her. 

In the same moment, she heard Chaewon hiss, clutching her chest with the other hand. Hyejoo felt pain in her eyes and heart then. Only faintly. 

She tore away her hand and ran off. 

She didn't know for how long she ran. But when the darkness encircled her heart fully, she had to come to a stop. She looked at the hand that Chaewon had held.

Darkness streamed from her fingertips. In the back of her mind, she thought it looked beautiful. The rest of her was horrified. 

It couldn’t be happening. She'd lived her entire life without anything. Why was magic coming to her now? How could the moon give her darkness now? Why did the darkness feel so terrible?

Her hand hurt now. That pain spread, as though her blood was piercing all along her body. 

When it reached her eyes and mind, Hyejoo gasped. An ache spread over her head. Only then did she know why she felt pain. It hurt because something was leaving her. Was it her soul? The light? 

It didn’t stop growing. Her legs gave out. She screamed.

That only encouraged the pain. Black curled around her vision. Even the moon darkened. The stars had disappeared. The screaming did not stop. 

 

 

Hyejoo woke to bound hands and feet. The bindings stung. 

She hissed, irritated by the sound. 

Her entire body felt heavier, as though stone lined her skin. No, the heaviness went deeper. It reached into her blood, her muscles, even her bones. 

It didn’t sting. There was only an ache. 

She could still move, but her body protested each attempt to do so. A part of her wanted to let go, either to sleep or to sink into that ache. She wondered what would happen if she did. Would she fall away to darkness completely? She almost didn’t mind. As long as this feeling would go. 

It was so bright around her. She could barely open her eyes and when she did, she recoiled. The movement made her wrists and ankles sting. 

She let out a cry. 

The restraints had cut her skin. Who had placed them there? And why did it hurt?

Hyejoo forced herself to open her eyes. She kept them open, despite the light making her head scream in protest. This had happened before. Whenever she’d had to get up during the day, either to go to town or some other patrol. The sun had always burned her more easily than the rest. And it’d always blinded her. Was the darkness the reason for that? Had she always had it within her? 

Her eyes adjusted. She was surrounded by white. Moonlight. Behind it was grey. It took several moments until she realised it was the sky. It was mid-day and the sun still illuminated the clouds brightly. Thick white lines crossed over one another, stretching around her completely. 

It was then that Hyejoo realised it was a cage. 

She craned her head to look at her feet. Her hands had been bound at her back. Around her ankles were a mix of white chains. The skin beneath them was black. It wasn’t burnt, but bloodied. Her blood was not red. It was black. 

This was the will of the moon? On her? It shouldn’t have been, but it was. Her suspicions had been confirmed.

Whoever had bound her also knew very well what had happened. They would’ve known the light hurt her. And they’d bound her hands and feet in it. 

A spike of fear filled her. Would the bars contract on her? Would the cage become her tomb? Or would she be banished? She hardly knew which was worse. 

Hyejoo shifted, the restraints grazing across her skin. She hissed. The moonlight burned like hot metal. 

“Don’t move,” a voice said, pleading. 

Hyejoo lifted her eyes. She saw deep green between the bars. Not the eyes she wanted to see, but the sight still comforted her. 

“Here,” Haseul held out a piece of watermelon, “I took out the light from all of it.”

“Should you be feeding me?” Hyejoo asked. 

Haseul didn’t respond, only held the food closer to . 

It was humiliating, but she opened . Now she was eating out of someone’s hand. Even so, it was wonderfully sweet and helped ease the painful dryness of . 

“I don’t know what they’re going to decide,” Haseul said. “But from what I heard,” she trailed off. She gave her more watermelon. 

“I’m an abomination?” Hyejoo suggested between swallows. “Monster? Curse?” She felt like it. The darkness escaping her fingertips. It had looked so wrong. Had she still emitted darkness when they’d found her? 

“Don’t say that,” the other’s voice shook, “you’re not any of those things.” 

“You don’t feel what I do,” Hyejoo replied. “Being in here sickens me. I’m burned by what’s sacred.” She swallowed, trying to remove the growing lump in . “Even the humans know to call that evil.” 

And she’d never had light before. This was the reason why. The darkness was meant to come to her. Had the seers known that? Or had it been a quick turn of Hyejoo's fate to be left in darkness?

Haseul passed her a sliced piece of cooked meat. Now that she’d had the fruit, the meat could be properly enjoyed. “I’ve known you too long to even think of believing that.” She gave her another. “The rest have to remember who you are.” 

Hyejoo thought of Chaewon’s words. 

You’re still the same.

She doubted that Chaewon still thought that. She remembered the brief moment of realisation. She remembered seeing the horror in bright green eyes. 

“Will there be a vote?” It would be unanimous either way: she no longer belonged. Would she die at their hand? Or be forced to spend the rest of her life apart from them? Which was better? 

Haseul’s eyes sparkled with hope. “There must be. And they’ll see.” 

“This won't be like before,” Hyejoo said. “There’s no chance of the light coming to me. It's gone.” And if they had difficulty accepting other elves being chosen by the moon, there was little chance of them allowing one rejected by it to stay. 

Haseul did not respond. She held out the last piece of meat. 

Hyejoo ate it. The sickness had subsided somewhat. Had the darkness taken the food she’d had in her stomach before, leaving her exhausted and hungry? Or—

“Have I been here long?” 

Haseul nodded. “Five days.” She looked at her lap. “You were between waking and sleeping. They tightened the restraints when that happened. You screamed.” Her eyes slipped to the bars. 

Five days. That explained how ruined her ankles and wrists were. It also explained the terrible hunger and thirst. 

“Did this contain it?” She nodded at the cage. 

Another nod. 

“Good,” Hyejoo said. “And no one’s been hurt?” She thought of Gowon. She’d been the closest when the darkness had taken hold. And it'd tried to attack her. 

Guilt bubbled up . Maybe it wasn’t so terrible that she was bound. If she couldn’t control the darkness, how could they trust her not to hurt another?

“No,” Haseul said. “Most of it stayed within you or fell away.” 

“So we don’t have to worry about that.”

Haseul gave her a look. “I’m still worrying about you, I hope you are too.” 

“I’ll try.” Hyejoo almost smiled. “Thank you for the food,” she said. “But you should go. They’ll talk if you don’t leave soon.” And the older elf was almost always on shaky ground with the other elves. 

Haseul shook her head. “Let them.” 

“Don’t say that,” Hyejoo said. “You’re still here, I won't be. They’ll remember this.” 

“Let them,” she repeated. “I’m staying with you.” 

It made some of the cold subside, hearing Haseul talk like this, but it was still wrong. Hyejoo was now completely apart from the Astra. Haseul wasn’t. 

“Please, Seul,” she said. “The last thing I want is for you to be hurt by helping me. What if they’re right? What if I am dangerous?” 

“The only reason we can control light is because we’re taught," Haseul replied. "I'll teach you to control it."

“No,” Hyejoo shook her head, “just go. They’re already starting to look.” She saw their frowns. She could almost hear their judgement. “You'll be leader some day. You leave now and they’ll still respect you.” 

Haseul shook her head. Tears built up in her emerald eyes. She reached out through the bars and cupped Hyejoo’s cheek. Her skin was so much warmer than should have been normal, but it didn't burn. 

Hyejoo moved so she could face her fully. The cage didn’t let her straighten. And it burned to get closer to it. It burned for her limbs to rub against the restraints, but she got closer to the bars. Tears trickled down her face. Haseul wiped them away. 

“You have to go,” Hyejoo said. “Please. You won't be able to convince enough, just keep out of it.” 

There were few who she respected more. And Haseul always did what was right. She’d welcomed Jinsoul, Jungeun, and Choerry like they were one of them, even when no one else had. Once she became older, once she was accepted as having a prominent role, she could keep doing that. Hyejoo just wouldn't be there to see it. 

That was when she spotted someone coming over. 

“I brought water,” Yeojin showed the animal skin, “without light.” She smiled weakly, eyes full of worry. 

“Both of you must go,” Hyejoo said. “They'll know I’m awake. They’ll reach a decision soon. None of you can be associated with this.”

Yeojin’s smile vanished. “Why not?” The confusion there was painful to see. 

Haseul looked pained. “Hyejoo,” she started. 

“Go,” she told her, "please."

“Why?” Yeojin looked between them. “What’s wrong with us helping her?” 

The green-eyed girl’s eyes grew teary. “Later, Yeojin,” she said. She looked to Hyejoo. “We’ll protect you however we can. All of us will.”

Hyejoo wanted to tell them not to, but she knew neither would. “Alright,” she let her head go to the ground, “see you then.” Thankfully, there was no moonlight on the soil. 

Haseul gripped Yeojin’s shoulders. 

“The water?" Yeojin was saying, "she needs something to drink." Her eyes flicked between Hyejoo and Haseul. She shouldn’t have come. She shouldn’t have to see this. 

was dry, but the fruit had helped somewhat. She had her immortality to thank for that. 

The thought gave her pause. Her questions returned. What was going to happen now? Would they put an end to forever? Or force her to leave? 

Haseul murmured reassurances and other words that Hyejoo didn’t bother listening to. They walked off. 

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone looking at the cage. She knew who it was. 

The girl never came. A part of Hyejoo knew that if she came closer, that would be the wrong decision. The rest of her wanted to call out to her. She needed to see her again. She needed to know she was alright. 

Chaewon walked on before she could speak. 

______

Haseul shivered. The darkness around Hyejoo had made the air freezing. Her skin had been like ice. 

And yet Haseul could only think of how worn Hyejoo had looked. Her eyes were darker than they’d ever been, swallowing all light rather than reflecting it as they’d used to. Her skin was a dull white. Her hair had also become more like the night sky, but without the stars. And then across her face had been lines of black. From what little Haseul knew about the internal layout of a body, the lines had followed some of the routes blood took around the body. The change had come so quickly. And drastically. 

And now she was alone, held captive by her own people. 

It'd torn her apart to see Hyejoo that way, bound and bloody.

They’d gathered them around in the amphitheatre, but it’d been filled with dirt. They stood in a large circle, all on equal footing. Nothing was in the centre, except for the elders, including Freya, Nuala, Eline, and Yuol. 

Haseul looked around for the people who should’ve been as good as family for Hyejoo. 

Yves, Chuu and Gowon had huddled together. Too far away, but she could still see that their expressions were grim. This was the first time she’d seen any of them since Olivia had been brought back in chains of moonlight, her flesh burning beneath it. 

Beside her, Yeojin trembled. Jungeun held one of her hands and Haseul the other. She could barely see Choerry, but she saw that one of her fists was clenched. Jungeun and Jinsoul both scowled at the elders. It wasn’t the ideal expression. They hadn’t been here long enough for their hostility to be overlooked. Then again, it was nothing compared to the person on Haseul’s other side. 

Heejin’s hands shook and her expression hardly concealed her rage. She said nothing, but her eyes gave way to a multitude of curses. 

Haseul debated whether or not she should reach out to steady her hands. It would both give the girl some comfort and to remind her that she was still glaring at an elder.

Then someone else took hold of Heejin’s hand. Haseul knew it was Hyunjin. The trembling stopped somewhat. 

Haseul took her other hand. Heejin’s skin was warm. Was there the possibility she’d lash out and use her moonlight to attack an elder? She’d get a very similar treatment to what Olivia would face. Not for everyone to see as it was now, nor with as much pain, but the prospect of banishment was great. Even if she was on the path to become an elder. 

Haseul squeezed her hand once, hoping it would pass on the comfort, as well as a warning. 

None of them spoke. If any one of them said something, the keen ears of their neighbours would hear it. Each one who heard would remember. Perhaps it would bring them no consequence, but there was the chance. That also depended on the outcome of today. No matter what stepping in would mean, Haseul wouldn’t let that be death.

Then Freya raised her arms and screams pierced the air. 

Haseul tensed, as did the girls around her. Yeojin looked up at her, horror in her eyes. Haseul was reminded of how young she still was. She still didn’t fully know how their people sometimes acted. She didn’t know what they were capable of. Haseul hoped desperately she wouldn’t see them turn on one of their own. Though it might’ve been too late for that. 

The screams subsided to smaller cries as Hyejoo was lowered to the ground in front of Freya. Though the circle was large, Haseul could still see her well. Hyejoo’s face held streaks of black blood. Darkness curled off of her like smoke. There was a faint crackling noise. Perhaps the meeting of light and dark? 

“A darkness wielder,” Freya called. “Turned yesterday when she encountered the purity of another.” She held out one hand, beckoning. 

Gowon stepped forward then. 

She’d been the one to find her? To turn her over to the elders? She must not have known the consequences. Or else she’d have told Hyejoo to run or hidden her until she was able to. 

“Tell them what you told me.” Eline’s voice was warm. Haseul didn’t buy the kindness for a second, not while Hyejoo still shook in her cage. She knew it was a dangerous train of thought to have. 

Hyejoo had fallen silent. She’d lifted her head to look at Gowon. Did she look at her with hope or fear?

“The darkness had been building within her,” Gowon said. “It ate away at her, but she didn't know what it was, only that it was wrong. She didn’t want anyone to get—“

“She was hiding it,” Freya finished. “She knew how terrible it was and it led to this.” She waved a hand at the cage and the bars dissolved. 

Hyejoo looked so small on the grass, her arms and legs still bound. 

And then, the girl shifted so that she was on her knees and not lying down. Her hair looked like it was smoking. Even here, her eyes looked far too dark. They’d once glittered. Her shoulders were straight, not slumped. There was still some of her stoicism in place. Haseul felt a flicker of pride then. 

“And then what happened?” 

“The air turned cold,” Gowon said. “I could feel it away the warmth.” 

“It?” Yuol said. “Don’t you mean that she did it?” 

“It was the darkness,” Gowon replied. Her voice was steady. “And then that same darkness started to come out of her hands.” 

“Didn’t she hurt you?” Nuala asked. 

“It was the darkness,” Gowon repeated. “It made my chest cold, then it stung.” The words were shaky. Scared. Did it still hurt?

“A breaking point reached,” Freya said. “She couldn’t control it.” She pointed. “She cannot do so either now. That is why we need the restraints.” 

“Thank you for telling us again,” Nuala murmured, but they could still hear her. 

The small blonde elf went back to Yves and Chuu. The taller of the three put an arm around her. The people around her sent her sympathetic smiles. 

Haseul didn’t know what to think. Had Gowon been put up to this? Her words didn’t outright condemn Hyejoo, but they didn’t paint her well either. Gowon wasn’t an idiot. She had to know how her words were being twisted. She’d shown no reaction to it. She hadn’t tried to stop a misunderstanding.

“We observed something frightening when we found her,” Freya said. “Dark spirits had approached her. They hadn’t attacked her, almost as if they'd wanted to help.” 

The reaction were murmurs. Most were horrified. 

Haseul was just confused. If malevolent spirits didn't attack Hyejoo, while they would a vampire, what was that supposed to suggest? Vampires were born from the night and far more capable of evil than her. This didn’t mean that Hyejoo was to be punished for her abilities. It just meant they knew less than they thought they did. 

“So we wanted to, and forgive the inquiry, see something. With you all.” Yuol took out a pouch. It was pale blue. Filled with moon dust. Treated with the juice of blueberries. He was going to call on a spirit. 

He proceeded to empty it over Hyejoo. The dark haired elf hissed, recoiling.

Then a force yanked her back and she fell back to the ground. She got her knees again. Even from here, Haseul could see the tears. They were the only thing that shone on Hyejoo, save for her restraints. And there was still so much dark blood across her skin. 

To those blinded by their beliefs or pride, she looked like a nightmare. To those who could truly see her, Hyejoo was only a girl. She was scared and in pain. 

Two spirits appeared, one having leapt over Chuu’s head. They paid no mind to the other elves. They only charged forward, straight for Hyejoo. Both were bright spirits. 

Haseul let out a cry and stepped forward. It was Heejin’s turn to restrain her. Even Yeojin had tightened her grip on Haseul's hand. 

Moon dust did not do this. One didn’t make benevolent spirits feral if you added meat or flowers to the mix. It was impossible. 

And yet, a horrific scene unfolded in front of them. And Haseul could only watch.

The first spirit, a bird, launched itself at Hyejoo’s head. She jerked away. Then the second, a lynx, reached them. It sunk its teeth into Hyejoo’s side. 

She shrieked and writhed away. Her feet kicked out, but the spirit didn't move away. 

“Stop!” Jinsoul shouted. “What do you prove with this?” She strode forward, but a wall of light stopped her. From one of the other elders.

Jungeun and Choerry scrambled to help her up. Jungeun’s red eyes were filled with anger. The air warmed, but no flames appeared. 

No one else responded. No one moved to help. Haseul was frozen to the spot, watching harmless spirits attack Hyejoo. 

She urged herself to move, but couldn’t. 

Hyejoo scrambled away as best she could. She whimpered. Neither spirit stopped its assault. There was more black blood. They watched it fall ot the grass. They were causing her physical harm. That should’ve also been impossible. 

Then the world around them darkened. Haseul felt the air cool and the hairs rise up her neck. A sweet scent reached her nose, like that of a fruit. The feeling she got from it was wrong. It was a heaviness that settled over her chest. 

She watched as the lynx whined. Then it sank its teeth into Hyejoo’s side. She screamed. 

The unthinkable happened then. The pale green lynx began to darken, turning a leaf-green colour. It began at its mouth, before spreading through its body like water soaking into soil. 

The lynx released Hyejoo and sat down on its haunches, looking at her. Its form was dark green. Its eyes were yellow. 

Several people started shouting. Some stepped forward, long swords and staffs of moonlight materialising. 

The same had happened to the bird. Instead of white, it was now dark grey, almost black. It had landed on the ground, also motionless. Both spirits behaved like normal animals when calm. Both looked at Hyejoo. 

The elders looked at the spirits, having retreated to the edges of the circle. Freya’s golden eyes were wide. Eline’s weren’t. Of course, the seer would’ve expected this. 

The shouting rose. There were shouts that Hyejoo was a monster, that she was cursed. 

All while Hyejoo still lay on the ground, covered in blood. Haseul could hear her gasps of pain and the beginnings of sobs. 

“They’re not attacking,” Yeojin whispered. “They’re not dangerous.” 

And yet, no one else had realised that. 

The first strode forward: three men and two women. They sent swathes of moonlight at the lynx. It hissed and sprang away. Those in its path scattered and it disappeared into the trees. The bird had already gone. No one else had been hurt. 

Hyejoo still lay on the floor, her breaths shaky, coming in only short bursts. 

“Our suspicions were true,” Freya called over the commotion. “She can transform the light to dark. Perhaps not of her own volition, but the evidence is undeniable.” 

“She has no place here!” someone bellowed. One of their main hunters. Hyejoo had helped him several times over the years, learning much of what she had from him. She’d devoted even more time to it when it’d been clear that she couldn’t control the light. 

“She cannot stay.” Freya nodded. 

“It’s a danger to leave her alive,” another elder said, Lyriil. Even from here, Haseul saw the contempt in his eyes. “She will reverse all the work we have done.” 

“There is no light left in her,” Eline added. “And I see no light on her path.” The words held finality, because who would doubt the word of a seer?

Haseul had heard enough. She let go of Yeojin’s hand and yanked hers away from Heejin’s. “Did you not all see what happened?” She walked into the circle. “The spirits didn’t attack any of us when they turned. And when you attacked, they didn’t retaliate.” A spirit didn’t have a survival instinct. If it was malevolent, it only wanted to corrupt. Neither was true here. Neither spirit been a threat. Hyejoo wasn't one either. 

“And you have the answer for why?” Freya asked, a hard edge to her eyes. “It changed from pure to dark. Their previous forms hadn’t attacked any of us, only her. They had deemed her a threat.” 

“A threat because she was made bait,” Haseul said. She looked to Yuol then, her old trainer. He’d also taught Hyejoo. 

He held her gaze, but didn't respond. 

“And what will stop her from enraging the spirits when near? What if she’s in a group and her very presence causes the pure to attack?” Nuala stepped forward. “She’d be a danger to whoever is near her.”

“And we don't know how or why she does this to those spirits, do we?” Freya levelled a stern gaze at her. “Or do you have the answer to that as well? Can you say that those spirits are no danger to us?"

Haseul had no answer for that. And they knew it. 

Someone grabbed her shoulder. Surprisingly, it wasn’t her father, but Heejin. Her eyes sent her the very same warning Haseul had tried to give her before. To speak more would be to antagonise herself. But what if she could say the right thing? Convince the rest not to condemn Hyejoo?

Haseul let herself be dragged back. From where she was, she saw that Hyejoo trembled. She still emitted darkness. And she was still bleeding. 

As the two of them returned to the edges of the circle, Haseul met Yeojin’s eyes. She looked up at her, several tears having fallen now. Haseul wiped each of them away. She could hardly bear to see the horror in Yeojin’s eyes before. Now she saw anger mixed in with it. Yeojin would never forget this day. None of them would. 

When she turned back, she saw that Hyejoo was pushing herself back up to her knees. She was half hunched over, but upright. Perhaps the wounds inflicted didn’t go as deep as a normal animal’s could. With her black blood, she seemed to be more sunken into the darkness. She looked up, her expression unreadable. Her stubbornness remained. She still had the strength to look at those who were ready to abandon her. 

“It’s very clear to me that we have a division in opinion,” Freya said. “So there are two options. Either we allow her to stay or not.” 

“Those in favour of staying?” Yuol asked. 

Haseul raised her hand high. As did Heejin, Hyunjin, Yeojin, Choerry, Jinsoul, and Jungeun. They were the only ones. 

Haseul whipped her head to where the others were. Chuu, Yves, and Gowon had kept their hands down. Their faces were angled towards the ground. 

Her chest constricted. Three votes wouldn’t have made a difference. The reaction of the rest had told her that much. But those votes could’ve shown Hyejoo that she wasn’t alone. Haseul had thought they were a given. Those she’d thought were less likely had raised their hands with little to no hesitation. Even those who hadn’t known Olivia for long enough to love her as they did. These three had been with Hyejoo her whole life.  

“And those who wish her gone?” 

Haseul watched the hands rise. She watched as the three who should have been Olivia’s closest friends raised their hands as well. 

She didn’t feel rage then. That would come later. The sight only made her heart sink further. 

Haseul looked to the grey sky then, hoping to stop her tears from falling. Would the sky weep for Hyejoo or turn away from her as well?

“The there are two choices still,” Freya continued. “Exile or death.” 

“That’s an option?” Heejin’s voice resonated around the silent group. “We fight wars with those who’d want us enslaved or dead and we’d kill one of our own? Because we think she might do something later?” Her words were steady, but Haseul saw the outrage. 

“She will bring nothing good,” Eline said. 

The voice of a man joined her. Heejin’s father. “She is young. The corruption has not reached her mind. She would not hurt us.” 

Others voiced their agreement, including Haseul’s family. While they would cast Hyejoo out, they, at the very least, wanted to keep her alive.

“Those who wish exile?” 

Haseul fought further tears, ones of frustration. Now it had become the better option to exile someone. To send her into a world she hardly knew, alone and abandoned. 

Haseul raised her hand. Most of those around her raised their hands. 

She looked to the three. They too had raised their hands. At least they would not see her dead. 

But weren’t they condemning her to it anyway? Hyejoo had only just been exposed to her magic. She didn’t know how to conjure a weapon. She didn’t know how to turn the spirits into forms that didn’t attack her. She didn’t know how to control her magic. 

“So it is exile,” Freya said. “It will happen when the moon is in the north.” 

Where it would shine the brightest tonight. As if they needed to prove to the moon they had carried out its will. 

That meant they were assuming the moon wanted a people to cast out a girl. Because instead of light, Hyejoo had gotten darkness. 

Haseul turned away. When she should have protected her, she’d been rooted to the spot. When she should have spoken up for her, Haseul had been unable to answer simple questions. When she’d tried to help, she’d failed. 

______

Author's Note 

I debated on when to show what happened to Olivia. With all that's currently happening in her story, I thought it was best to show you now. There's still something I've yet to show you for the aftermath, but I'm saving that. 

It's truly terrible what happened, but there is more to support the views of the elders and other elves. Not enough to pardon them, because I personally don't think you can with all that happened. Nevertheless, I wanted to show you what event is following all but one character. It's something Vivi still has yet to find out, but that moment is coming. 

Thank you very much for the support you've been giving this story! While certain events may not be in line with your expectations, I hope the progression is still something you're going to stay to read. These characters have come to mean a great deal to me and I love exploring their separate, as well as combined, stories. 

I've got an internship that'll take up a fair amount these next weeks. Hopefully I'll update again on the weekend, but I wanted to have a few more chapters out before then.

See you next chapter.