Summer Party

Chaennie one shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She smacked her lips together after applying a layer of beautiful red lipstick, a YSL one her sister had given her. Her light brown hair was partially pulled back, a few strands of hair framing her face perfectly, the rest cascading over her slim shoulders, down her back. She’d considered cutting it shorter sometimes, but she’d miss it too much. It would probably feel quite freeing, not having hair down to your waist, but she loved all the hairstyle options she had, and her hair truly had become a part of her identity. Maybe she’d try a shorter do when she got a bit older.

 

The blue polka dot wrap dress was her favorite; it was light and airy – perfect for warm summer nights, but also elegant, and showed off her perfect figure. And it could be paired with pretty much anything – sneakers for a casual look, heels for a more elegant evening, a clutch, purse, or even a backpack. So many styling options made it the optimal dress in her eyes, and it was a given she’d wear it to tonight’s event.

 

She was excited to see her coworkers in a more casual setting; she really enjoyed working with them, but they rarely saw each other outside the office. For sure some of them would be quite different in and out of the office, and she had a little bet with some of her office friends on who outside their group would get drunk first.

 

Grabbing her purse, also a gift from her sister, she made her way out the door and to the taxi waiting for her. The weather was impeccable, albeit a bit humid, perfect for an outdoor office summer party. She’d have to make sure to drink lots of water so the alcohol wouldn’t get to her too quickly. She’s a bit of a light weight, and her mom always told her to drink plenty of water when the weather is like today.

 

Stepping out of the cab, she immediately saw a familiar face waiting for her. They were supposed to arrive together, but the shorter brunette got caught up at work (yes, even on a Saturday), so she’d told her she’d meet her there.

 

“Hey!” they kissed each other on both cheeks, French style, a habit Jennie had picked up while on exchange in Paris, before moving towards the venue.

 

“Thank you for coming with me today.” Chaeyoung looked at Jennie, smiling brightly.

 

“Of course, I told you I would.”

 

“I know, but that was a long time ago and I figured you might’ve changed your mind since our relationship status has changed since then.”

 

Jennie rolled her eyes. “Our relationship status has nothing to do with this, I told you I’d come, so here I am.”

 

“I hope the food is good!”

 

“Of course you’d think about the food first and foremost. I hope the alcohol is good – and free.”

 

“Of course you’d think about the alcohol first and foremost,” she teased.

 

“You know me, I can’t say no if it’s free.” Jennie winked at the younger girl as they walked up the steps, a myriad of voices surrounding them.

 

“You look amazing, by the way. Is that a new dress?”

 

“Oh, this old thing? I’ve had it for ages.” Her voice was slightly off, something Chaeyoung picked up on.

 

“Is it one of those things you’ve bought and hidden in the back of the closet hoping I wouldn’t notice, not wearing it for a while so when I ask you about it you can say that it’s not new, cause technically it’s not?”

 

“Damn, you’re good.”

 

“I know you better than anyone Jennie, and you know you’re allowed to spend your money on whatever you want. How much was it, anyways?”

 

“Oh, you know, not that bad…like, 4000 USD, maybe a bit more.”

 

Chaeyoung practically choked on her own spit, “well, what can I say? It was worth every penny; you truly look amazing.”

 

“Thanks! I’m not gonna tell you how much the jewelry was.”

 

“Please don’t.” she was only half joking. She’d always known Jennie had expensive taste, but damn. Thank god she has a well-paying job.

 

“According to the email I got we’re seated at table 12, which looks to be a good table. My work friends are mostly seated with us, and it’s close to the food according to the map they added.”

 

“What about the bar?”

 

“Close enough that there’s little chance of us spilling our drinks while carrying it back, but not so close that the queue will bother us.”

 

“AKA the perfect distance.”

 

“Exactly. There’s also a photo booth, and,” she lowered her voice as she quickly looked around them to check that no one was listening in, “one of my friends is bringing ‘special brownies’”

 

“What, she put walnuts in them or something?”

 

“No, Jen, they’re ‘special’ brownies…” she moved her eyebrows suggestively as if to emphasize ‘special’ even further.

 

“Is it like a secret recipe carried on through generations, passed on from her great-great-great-grandma?”

 

“No, Jennie, they’ve got a ‘special’ ingredient in them, ya know, a green plant…” she was still whispering, hoping no one would sneak up on them as she tried to get Jennie to understand what she meant.

 

“You better not be talking about coriander, those brownies are gonna taste like soap.”

 

“For god’s sake, I’m talking about , Jennie!” she squawked a little too loudly, letting out a sigh of relief when no one turned to stare at them, only to frown when Jennie started laughing heartily.

 

“You knew, didn’t you?!”

 

“Of course I knew what you were talking about, I’ve been eating ‘special’ brownies since before you were born, you were just so funny trying to be secretive.”

 

“Psh, as if one year old you ate pot brownies.” She folded her arms across her chest, acting offended, but really, who could be annoyed with Jennie Kim when she was laughing like that?

 

“What can I say? My parents were super experimental.” She bit her lip as she held back her laughter imagining her parents ever trying pot anything.

 

“I knew they were wild in their college days.”

 

“The wildest. Wooh, you have no idea.”

 

“Chaeyoung! Over here!” an excited looking girl with gray hair (of the colored kind, not the graying kind) waved at her from her position between a bunch of other people.

 

“Oh, it’s my work friends, come on, let’s say hi.” She grabbed Jennie’s arm and practically dragged her over, happy to see other familiar faces.

 

Giving them all a quick hug, exchanging compliments on their hair, make-up and outfits, she finally returned to her spot next to an awkward looking Jennie who had never met these people before.

 

“Guys, this is my ex-girlfriend, Jennie.” She beamed at the brunette next to her, who, in return, gave her another eye roll.

 

“You gotta stop introducing me like that,” she sighed, grabbing Chaeyoung’s left hand, lifting it up as she lifted her own left hand.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter