Kuttara-ko

Noboribetsu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey! Promise me! Come on! Swear it to this pinky." The taller girl giggle after seeing the shorter huff her cheeks with that cute pout when she did not comply fast enough.

"Okay, I promise." She hooked her little finger with the other and shook it up and down, and with a last smile light suddenly comes shinning so bright.

"Yujin! Wake up! You'll miss your flight if you continue to sleep!" A voice of a woman cutted into the dreams of a certain girl; and that said girl— named as Yujin groans as she drags herself out of her bed— rubbing her eyes as she slowly walk towards her bed room door. She abruptly stopped infront of a mirror and eyes her tired physique. After a few seconds she continues to walk out of the room and climb down towards the kitchen; where her nose is greeted with the sweet smell of pancakes and a strong yet vibrant aroma of a freshly brewed coffee. 

The tall girl then lazily slump herself on one of the chairs. She held her head using the palm of her right hand while she uses her elbow to assist the weight, but unluckily her head slipped off of her palms and dunk on her plate with a piece of pancake covered with a hefty amount of maple syrup. The impact surely woke her up and pain started to accumulate on her nose bridge area. She rubs it and to try and ease the pain; yet her hand got greeted by the sticky sweet fluid running down her nose and probably all over her face.

A soft laugh suddenly echoed from across the table earning the attention of the girl whose face is now drenched with syrup. "Dad! It's not funny."

The girl continues to whine before standing up and made her way towards the kitchen sink— where she cleaned her face with running water. After being able to clean the syrup away. She proceeded walking back towards the dining table; but before she can even sit— a click from a mechanical camera stole her attention. And to her surprise it was her Dad, grinning like an idiot as he pointed his phone's camera towards Yujin's pancake. Yujin got a little curious at her Dad's questionable antics— and without further hesitation Yujin leaned in and peeked on her Dad's phone and she was shocked to see what his Dad just sent to their family GC.

Yujin could have sworn that this is one of those times where she wanted to just dig a hole and hide herself there for eternity— after all anyone would be embarrassed if their face etched in a pancake is sent to their family GC right.

Yujin let out an embarrassed sigh before shaking her head, and sitting back down to try and enjoy her breakfast; after all; this will be her last breakfast in Korea until the summer ends.

"Honey! Call us once you get there, and say Hi to your aunt Chaeyeon for us." A soft spoken woman muses towards Yujin as she and her husband waved the child goodbye; Yujin on the other hand just nods and proceed to the boarding area of the airport. After she has settled on one of the chairs, she snap a few photos and sent it to their group chat. Again from the GC, her parents started nagging on how she should always be careful. 

Yujin only giggled at how protective her parents are but she's thankful they aren't restricting her on going to places she wanted to go; the greatest example is this one, right now. 

She's going to Japan; alone for summer break, and God knows how excited she is. Her aunt Chaeyeon would usually send breath taking photos of the place she's staying in Hokkaido— to be exact at Noboribetsu; a city filled with natural hot springs, old japanese architectures and houses, and a naturally stunning landscape which is also one of the greater things the city has to offer.

Thinking how she would probably have a good time exploring the place and how she would feed her landscape photography hobby some good food made her ecstatic.

The tall girl then started taking out her camera and look through the gallery. She then spotted the picture she took when they were having a vacation in thailand. She smiles as she see how close knitted her family is and how they would usually tag her aunt Chaeyeon with them. As she reminisce the pleasant memory; her flight number got called and with that— a wide smile plastered on her face as she approach the boarding gates.

"Lets go!" She cheered as she passes through the corridor of the airport and towards the plane.

After an hour or so the plane in which Yujin boarded— landed at New Chitose Airport at Sapporo. After she had checked out, the tall young girl wanted to wander off and take a train by herself. After all she saw in the internet that the way to Noboribetsu city is actually not hard; besides she does know how to read Japanese after all she did took JLPT back when she was an elementary student because her parents were preparing her If ever they go and live in Japan because of her father's work; but apparently it did not happen. Even so, Yujin is still knowing of the language because she did not stop learning about it. Especially when her aunt Chaeyeon started to reside on the said country and she knows one day she'll spend her time in her aunt's house, and looks like those times of learning will be paying off soon.

The tall girl walked out of the airport with an excited smile plastered on her face. She took in a deep breath and release it. She was so excited that she unconsciously let go of her bag and, perhaps voiced out her feelings.

"TOUCHDOWN!" She muses which earned quite an attention from the locals, and probably from other foreigners; but she did not really mind. She took her bag and luggage again and started to walk towards the train station near the airport but even before she takes a few more steps away— a familiar voice started calling her name out. She started to think if she actually know someone from Sapporo but then her thoughts got cut off when someone hugged her from behind.

Yujin was caught off guard that she took this opportunity to use her self-defense knowledge into use, and Judo throw the said person; with out further thinking the tall girl did just that; but apparently the person whom clung to her knew about her plan and counter attacked her by tackling her— hooking one of her legs, making her out of balance.

Before her body meets the cold concrete floor, the person who attacked her pulled her up and started to laugh boisterously; after hearing how the faceless person laugh she immediately whiped her head backwards and she was greeted by a very familiar cheeky smile— it was her aunt Chaeyeon; holding her by the waist to prevent her from falling.

Yujin immediately stood straight and smiled so brightly. She then took a step forward and enveloped the other with a tight, bone crushing hug— Chaeyeon, on the other hand just patted her niece's back. "You really thought your mom would let you wander in Japan just like that?"

Yujin could not hide her disappointment somehow, which Chaeyeon giggled at. The older pat her niece and gave the latter a piece of paper.

Yujin was bewildered but accepted the paper either ways, after opening it Yujin gave Chaeyeon a questioning look. Chaeyeon just shrugs it off and started lifting Yujin's stuff so she can place them at the trunk of her car.

"Auntie? What is this map for?" Chaeyeon grins and gestured Yujin to lend her an ear. Yujin complied and after a few seconds the tall girl is rejoicing like a newly adopted puppy. The girl then gave her aunt another hug and ran off. Chaeyeon just giggled and took her phone out. After that she chatted someone then turned off her phone immediately. Chaeyeon then again looked at Yujin whose now infront of the bus stop reading the stops. Chaeyeon could not stop herself from grinning.

 "You have grown so much, little puppy." Chaeyeon whispered before she proceeded to pocket her phone, and make her way in her car. After she settled in Chaeyeon started her engine and drive off towards Yujin's direction. She then pulled her window down and called her niece out. "Hey kid! Goodluck! Also don't be late for dinner, and I almost forgot here!" Chaeyeon smiles as she gave yujin a little cloth that is neatly folded. The tall girl bowed before she took it. After opening it she became surprised at the content. Yujin was about to return it back, yet Chaeyeon already satrted driving away. Afyer some meters Chaeyeon stopped again and looked out of the driver's window.

"Welcome to Sapporo, Kid! Later I'll welcome you at Noboribetsu. For now take care and have fun!" Yujin smiles as she watches Chaeyeon drive with her luggage amd leave her with her camera, a little sling bag and the cloth full of money that her aunt gave her moments ago; with everything being said, Yujin looked up the clear skies before beginning her little adventure.

 

 

+

 

 

"Nako! Come here for a bit." A woman called from down stairs and Nako— the girl being called earlier sighed, and closed the book she was reading on top of her desk that was facing the window. Soon she stood up and put on her fluffy bunny slippers before replying.

"Okay mom!" She then looked outside the window and see the clear skies while the sun shone brightly at the field opposite their house.

"Well, looks like it's a pleasant day again, today." She then smiled and proceeded out of her room to go down to her mother whom was calling her earlier.

 

 

+

 

 

It's 4pm now and Yujin did wander around Sapporo's famous landmarks. Now the tall puppy is eating ice cream at a different city that is just some minutes away from Sapporo. She's now in Hakodate— a city over-seeing the sea. 

She rested her tired body on a wodden bench near the shore line where she started taking pictures of the nearing sunset and the locals who just came back from their fishing. After all the people which resides in the said city are from long lines of fishermen. People of the sea; if she puts it in a dramatical description. 

After she had finished her ice cream, Yujin stood up and do a little stretching. She let the cold breeze of the Hakodate shore lines, pass through her. Making her smile at the setting sun. She then headed at a nearby telephone booth and dialed-up the number that was written in the paper her aunt gave her. She strated pushing some buttons and then the phone started ringing; soon her aunt picked up and Yujin gleefully giggle from her line.

"Hey auntie! Im on my way to Noboribetsu! Just stopped a bit here at Hakodate to breathe in some fresh air from the beach." Chaeyeon just laugh a little and gave Yujin a hum of approval. Soon she started to look at the clock and told Yujin off by bidding her to take care on the way back.

Yujin only nods and then dropped the call. After a few more shots of the sunset, Yujin hailed a cab to Super Hokuto Express.

The travel time from Hakodate to Noboribetsu is exactly 2 hours and 30 mins. Yujin really loved how punctual Japanese trains are. 

After buying a ticket she found herself sitted at one of the waiting areas— the next train will be boarding at 4:20 pm. This gives her time to recap all her photos from earlier and gave them a good reminiscing. After a few minutes of laughing all by herself and zooming in on some photos, She heard the conductor calling out passengers that will be heading to Noboribetsu. Yujin then kept her camera and slowly walked towards the train. She then looked at her ticket to see where she was suppose to be seated— and there goes the finale for Yujin's little adventure in the Hokkaido prefecture.

It's already dark when Yujin arrived infront of her aunt's house. But before she can push the door bell; Yujin's attention was taken by a small figure at the house next door. The said person is carrying a little sign board that looks a bit too heavy for her— Yujin being a very nice person she is, slowly walks towards the small lass when the latter's grip slipped from the sign board.

"Excuse me, I saw you from over there. Im hoping that you'll let me help you." Yujin fluently stated in Japanese while pointing at her previous spot. The girl the whipped her head towards the tall pup and gave Yujin a bewildered look. Yujin then unconsciously scratched her nape, as the awkward air started to weigh in on her.

"Nako! What is taking you too long?"  A woman shouted from inside the house; or rather the store.

Soon the woman emerges at the front door and got surprised seeing an unfamiliar person— to be exact a foreigner.

Yujin noticing the judging looks of the older woman made her suddenly bow in respect. Yujin then started scratching her nape awkwardly— her tounge as if caught by someone; luckily her aunt peeked outside and saw her standing awkwardly.

Chaeyeon called her out while jogging towards the tall, awkward pup. Chaeyeon then gave a friendly bow and a wide smile towards her neighbors. Soon she introduced her niece and again Yujin gave a very respectful bow, as if affraid of offending the persons infront of her.

The old woman giggled at Yujin's cute and nervous state. She then walked close to the tall girl and gave Yujin a warm welcoming smile. 

"What are you doing here? Did you miscount?" Chaeyeon asks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter