One

Ironic Bind
12:15 AM, 2 Oct 2012, his wristwatch read.
 
He was already near to his house, and soon after, he pushed open a metal gate door to his house. The gate door was heavy that he let out a little groan while pushing, but of course, it was to serve the purpose of security. He walked for a good 2-metres to get to the front door of his house, which to his surprise, was opened by the house’s maid.
 
“Welcome home, young Master,” the housemaid greeted.
 
“Thank you. I thought you were already asleep,” said the male, while removing his shoes at the entrance before slipping into house slippers.
 
The housemaid smiled. She took in the appearance of the young Master. The said male was on the taller side compared to his peers. He had straight black hair where the front fringes reached his eyebrows. He had the habit of shaking his head to his right, moving the fringes away to get a better sight. Tonight, his face looked tired and sleepy. It’s a no wonder, because it was the effect of long hours of daily studying. Even tonight, the young Master had just got back from a hagwon, a private tuition centre that the Master had arranged specifically for his only son.
 
“Master wishes to see you, that’s why I’m still staying up. You should go straight to the living room, he’s already waiting.”
 
The young Master took a moment to register the change of daily routine. Usually, after he got back from hagwon, his parents were already sleeping – even the housemaid. What's happening? He wondered but formed long steps to the living room anyway.
 
He was barely at the living room’s door when a deep voice called his name, “Jihoon-ah?”
 
“Yes, Appa?” Jihoon replied. He set his eyes on an older male who was seated on a sofa.
 
The older male’s eyes stayed trained on a switched-on TV, showing some late-night news, but Jihoon knew that his father was not watching the TV. It was only switched on to get some background noise in the living room.
 
“Sit down, I have something to say to you,” gestured the older male.
 
Naturally, Jihoon took a seat opposite his father, where the only thing separating them was a huge coffee table. He looked at his father, who now had his full body facing Jihoon. His father bent forward, placed both his elbows on his laps, and laced both his hands.
 
“Jihoon-ah,” Appa carefully began, “We’re moving soon. To the U.S.”
 
His son raised an eyebrow, obviously surprised and puzzled at the sudden news. “But why?”
 
Jihoon’s Appa let out a light sigh; it was evident that the news that he delivered was disturbing him too. “I am requested to replace a senior officer-in-charge at the U.S. office.  My boss asked me to prepare in a month. You know how important the role of my department in maintaining diplomatic relations is, right?”
 
By the time, Jihoon had his eyes trained on a carpet in the living room. This sudden? How about my-
 
“Don’t worry about your suneung. I’ll come up with a way that you can still sit for your exams this year,” assured Appa, knowing well that his son was concerned about his CSAT, College Scholastic Ability Test, that was scheduled to be held in two months. After all, Jihoon was already a third-year high school student, which explains his extensive studies until late night. “But you have to be prepared for any possibilities. The suneung might be sooner than the scheduled time. All you need to do is study harder. Okay, Jihoon-ah?”
 
The said young male was tongue-tied. He could not respond to his father.
 
Understanding that his son needed some time to register such news, Jihoon’s Appa stood up and patted his son's shoulder. “You can do this, my son. And don’t worry about packing your belongings. I’ve hired people to do it on your behalf.” Appa patted his shoulder again before saying, “Go sleep. It’s been a long day for you.”
 
Jihoon slowly nodded and with slow steps, he headed to his room. There were so many things running inside his head. 
 
It was true that he had been having extensive studies in preparations for his suneung. He had the ultimate goal to get into the best university in South Korea. He had been attending hagwon on weeknights, even after long days at school. Not forgetting dokseosil sessions on weekends – revision study cubicle spaces where each cubicle is surrounded by long curtains to give a dark setting – to boost his concentration on studies. In fact, he had made a rule that he would not go out for leisure before the end of the exams, even with his closest friends from high school.
 
Except for…
 
His eyes trailed towards a picture frame that was placed on his study desk. He was pictured with a female, where both of them were smiling shyly towards the camera.
 
I must tell her…but how?
 
*****
 
It was a weekend and a theme park in the city was full of people as per usual. Near the entrance to the theme park, a young lady was seen shifting her weight awkwardly from one foot to another.
 
She was donning a pastel yellow knit-sweater that is tucked into mini denim pants, baring half her laps and below. Her shoulder-length jet-black hair was let loose, covering her forehead, both her ears and side profiles, making her face look smaller. A pair of navy blue sneakers with enhanced insoles became her choice of footwear that day. A dark brown bucket bag completed her look, where she placed it in front of her laps.
 
Sometimes, she crossed her long legs when people passed her. At times, her hands would not stop fixing her hair and fringes. She also kept looking at her shoes to see if they looked okay. At other times, she pulled down the hem of her mini denim pants, with the hopes she could cover more skin.
 
It was apparent that she was waiting for someone.
 
She glanced at her phone, mentally taking note of the time. ‘5 minutes before 1 PM,’ she whispered to herself, ‘he should be here soon.’
 
She did not expect that her partner would bring her out on a weekend. After all, she was well aware that her partner was busy with his schedules. It had been a while since they met each other too, so she wanted to make sure she looked good to him.
 
“Hyun Ae-yah!”
 
The said girl turned towards the source of the voice. A male voice.
 
He made long strides towards her while habitually shaking his head to his right, bringing the end of his front fringes in the same direction. He was simply dressed in a white shirt, a black jacket, a pair of brown long pants, and a pair of white sneakers. A cross-body messenger bag was slung from his left shoulder.
 
The male’s appearance made the girl smile shyly. ‘Omo, he looks dashing. As always!’ she spazzed silently. She instinctively raised her right hand to push some hair behind her left ear to get a better vision of the male, but upon realizing the action, – as if an afterthought – she placed the hair back to cover her ear.
 
Jihoon noticed the slight movement. He honestly had something to say about it, but he chose to keep it aside that moment. ‘That can wait, let’s have a worth day spent today,’ he said to himself. 
 
“Did you wait for too long?” Jihoon asked as he reached Hyun Ae’s side, to which Hyun Ae responded by shaking her head lightly while still maintaining a shy smile. “Can we have some lunch first? I didn’t get to have any food after the revision session ended, I’m so hungry,” Jihoon continued while rubbing his stomach sheepishly and giving an equally sheepish grin.
 
Hyun Ae nodded. Jihoon smiled and then ushered her that they should enter the theme park together.
 
*****
 
It was already 7 in the evening. After a day spent at the theme park, Jihoon walked Hyun Ae to her house, while each of them held an ice-cream cone that they had bought at a convenience store on their way home.
 
“Thank you for today, Oppa,” said Hyun Ae while having the last bites of her ice cream, “I actually didn’t expect we would go out in the midst of your exam preparations.”
 
Jihoon smiled slightly, also finishing up his ice cream. “I just thought that I needed some tension relief. It’s been stressful lately. Did you have a good time?”
 
Hyun Ae bowed her head a little, nodded, and managed a small smile, revealing a dimple of her right cheek. She felt special that Jihoon asked her out on his tension-relief day.
 
Jihoon, on the other hand, looked rather gloomily at his partner. After their theme park date ended, he had been searching for good timing and ways to deliver the news to her. Luckily, on their way to Hyun Ae’s house, they found a few benches that were a bit isolated from the main road. Jihoon took his chance and guided Hyun Ae to one of the benches.
 
As soon as they sat side by side, Jihoon let out a small sigh.
 
He carefully began, “It’s good that it’s a public holiday tomorrow, right? At least we can recharge before going to school the next day.”
 
Jihoon looked to his right where Hyun Ae was seated. Hyun Ae was seen nodding to his statement.
 
He was determined that it was the right time to break the news to Hyun Ae. For the umpteenth time that day, Jihoon gulped and  his lips before biting his lower lip. He could feel his heart beating faster and his fingers turning colder.
 
Braving through it, Jihoon turned his head towards Hyun Ae. “Hyun Ae-yah.”
 
“Hmm?” His partner glanced at him for a second, before habitually looking down.
 
“I have something to tell you.” He knew he captured his partner’s attention when Hyun Ae’s eyes blinked a few times at the introduction. “My family have to move to the U.S. One month from now.”
 
At this moment, Hyun Ae was no longer in her shy state. She looked up to find Jihoon’s eyes, with slightly agape, looking surprised at the news.
 
“And yes, myself included. We might have to live there for five years, at least.”
 
Silence ensued for a few minutes. Jihoon did not say anything for a few moments to allow the news to sink in between them.
 
“How about your exams?” Hyun Ae asked, referring to the suneung.
 
Jihoon let out a small sigh. “Appa said he would arrange it. I don’t know how he would do it. But he said by hook or by crook, I would sit for it this year. I just need to study harder.”
 
“I see...” Hyun Ae’s voice trailed off before continuing, “Are you excited?”
 
As he processed Hyun Ae’s question, Jihoon’s gaze met the main road. He shook his head slightly.
 
Not because he did not feel excited, but rather, he felt unsure.
 
He had heard a lot of things about the land of opportunities and freedom. The culture. The environment. The society.
 
To be honest, despite being told that he had to work harder for his exams, he found himself spacing out a lot of times. What about his future? From a little kid, he had been taught to get excellent grades in school in order to get into a prestigious university in South Korea, which could be a ticket to a successful career for the rest of his life. At the age of 18, he had achieved all things that were necessary for his life goal. Now that there was a change in his life, how would he get into a prestigious university in South Korea if he had to move to the other side of the world? Would he be able to get into any university in the U.S.? Would he need to get further qualifications or fulfill more requirements in order to set foot into a top university in the U.S., eventually securing a successful career upon graduation?
 
“Oppa?”
 
Jihoon’s train of thoughts was cut short. His gaze met Hyun Ae, who had bent down in front of him and looked to see if he was okay.
 
“Sorry, Hyun Ae-yah.”
 
“Does it disturb you?” asked Hyun Ae, as if understanding the dilemma that Jihoon was facing.
 
Jihoon looked straight into Hyun Ae’s face, eventually got lost in the memories between them. Hyun Ae was his one-year junior at his school. They first met each other in their school’s volunteer club. After a few times working together, he was attracted to Hyun Ae’s energy and way of thinking. He loved how she carried herself; she was confident, independent, and self-empowered. He liked how both of them could talk about any topic and exchange points of view between each other. Be it socio-economic perspectives, the school’s shortcomings, or political views. She also loved to read, which was reflected in her vast knowledge. She was always being herself, and that endeared Jihoon so much that it made Jihoon brave himself to ask her out eight months ago.
 
However, at that moment, he felt dismayed that the lady that he had been admiring seemed to have lost her course of being herself. 'Am I to blame?' Jihoon could not help but wonder.
 
“Oppa, are you okay?” Hyun Ae questioned again, this time putting her hand on Jihoon’s hand, effectively pulling Jihoon out from his thoughts.
 
“Ah yes. I’m – I’m fine.” Jihoon cleared his throat.
 
“Does it disturb you?” Hyun Ae repeated the question.
 
Jihoon nodded slightly before he spoke, “It had been disturbing me. It feels so sudden, more so during my preparations for my exams.”
 
Hyun Ae attentively listened, giving room for her partner to let out what had been bothering him. She realized that the sudden news could impact him the most.
 
“I have been thinking a lot as well,” Jihoon continued before facing Hyun Ae, “and that included us, t00.”
 
Hyun Ae’s ears perked up to the last sentence. She just realized that Jihoon moving to the U.S. would affect the direction of their relationship.
 
Jihoon reached out to hold Hyun Ae’s left hand. It felt cold, understandably so. He gulped again as his thumb rubbed Hyun Ae’s fingers, summoning his remaining courage before he uttered the next revelation.
 
“Hyun Ae-yah. I’ve thought through it. I believe…” he paused for a moment before resuming,
 
“It’s best if we separate.”