[ ❀ ] 003.

Dear Mr. Detective.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You and my brother were on the case?” Jongin asked, pointing a finger to Baekhyun. His eyes were glue to the counter table (or rather the pictures) as he went into deep thought. Nari started at her brother, and it was weird—she’s never seen him quiet like this. She knew that being a detective is hard and stressful, and she could only imagine what it’s like to be the Chief in charge of every case, and every detective on his team. But she never told him about the case.

 

At home or at work.

 

Even though she started her job with the department as the lead doctor two years ago; three years after the case started. “Baekhyun,” she called out. He lifted his head to look at her, and she saw fear. Carefully, she backed away from the case files and made her way to Baekhyun. She stood in front of her older brother, staring at him before her arms encircled around him. For a moment, Baekhyun didn’t move a muscle. He knew it was an act of comfort, and she saw in him that he swore he’d never show. His arms carefully wrapped around her, inhaling deeply as he closed his eyes.

 

“What happened, Baek?” She asked, pulling away from the hug to stare at her brother. He inhaled a shaky breath as he looked down. “Do you remember when I left for a few months three years ago?” And Nari thought back. She remembered that he had to leave and didn’t tell her where he was going. Or rather, he couldn’t tell her.  “Yeah… you didn’t tell me where you were going...”

 

“Yeah,” he laughed softly, looking back up to her, “well, I couldn’t, or I’d put you in danger and I didn’t want that.”

 

“What are you talking about, Baek?” She asked. “The reason why we couldn’t close the case five years ago was because our lives were in danger. Mine, Junmyeon’s, Jongin’s, yours.” “Wait, wait,” Jongin called out, his hand raised as he directed it towards Baekhyun: “Three years ago… I remember hyung telling me the same thing. I was just a rookie on the team then, and he said he had to leave for a few months. What the hell happened?” He asked, and Baekhyun exhaled through his nostrils.

 

“Junmyeon and I had to get out of town because the unsub we were tracking down was tracking us down.” He said through a shaky breath.

 

“Elaborate.” Nari said, taking a step back as she rammed her back against Sehun’s own body. She turned around, blinking and muttered an apology before looking at her brother once more. “Junmyeon and I were the lead detectives on that case at the time, and like we did earlier today—we ruled it out as murder-suicide, but it happened again…and again, and again. That’s when we started to find out that the unsub used the same weapon at every scene. So Junmyeon and I worked day and night trying to crack the case. We even stalked out the next few victims we’d thought he’d attack, but we were always too late.” He said, looking down. Joohyun blinked, glancing to Baekhyun: “But then you guys got closer to catching him?”

 

“Yeah…” he uttered, “Junmyeon and I got a lead and thought that we’d catch our murderer at the scene. We were too late then… When we got back to the station that night, the Chief at the time said there was a letter addressed to Junmyeon and I. It was a letter from the unsub.” Chanyeol rose from his seat for the first time since he’s been in the lab. “What’d it say?”

 

Baekhyun looked to his best friend. “It said that our families were next if we continued to look for him. At first, Junmyeon didn’t believe it was from our guy and we continued with the case into the following year. We got more and more threats, even bloody body parts from his victims came to us directly. He said he’d keep killing unless we stopped hunting him. And if we didn’t stop, you two were next.” Baekhyun pointed towards Nari and Jongin- who exchanged glances at one another. “And he kept his word to go after you two. He sent photos of the both you during your everyday routines. He was following your every movement, but then… he threatened our lives. When we were tracking him down, he was tracking us down. He got us before we got him. And he threatened our lives enough that our Chief sent us away for our safety and yours.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Jongin questioned quietly. “Because Junmyeon didn’t want anyone involved. If you two knew, it’d be more unsafe for the both of you because we knew what our unsub was capable of.”

 

“And if this is the sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter