Chapter 7 – Say Hi

GERVAIS

 

After spending two days in a hospital I learned quite a few how things go around here. The first man who was sitting beside me when I woke up is the leader and if I’m not mistaken his name is Suho, I heard everyone calls him by that. He would come every day to interrogate me, asking where I come from, what do I want by coming here, how did I know about this place and such. Obviously I kept my trap shut all the time, but he amazes me for aside I’m giving him a hard time he still acts calm and composed. Being way too patient.

 

Then I had asked him about Lay and Jongdae but he refuses to let me speak with them and only inform me that they’re safe and been living with his men, although he did say when I was released I can meet them. So the minute one of the doctors told me I can leave this morning, I make a run to the door but was stopped by Suho. Different than any other day he’s not here to check on me instead standing beside him was that whining boy from before. He keeps his usual frown and folded his arms in front of his chest, leaning against the door threshold.

 

“You remember him right?” Suho asked me as he points next to him.

 

Unfortunately yes. I merely nodded at him whilst studying that kid from top to toe, when I reach his face however out of nowhere he winks at me. What the hell? I raised an eyebrow at him silently wondering his sanity.

 

“I have to ask you to stay with him if you are going to live here. It’s not permanent, but until you can answer my questions I’m afraid I don’t have any choice.” Suho said with finality in his voice. Well, it’s not like I’m in any position to make amends so here I am being so obedient for the first time in my existence.

 

A minute later I learned something new about this pack, some kid comes running holding clothes draped to her chest. She said hello to Suho as her smile light up, to which Suho greeted her back with a small pat on her head. He asked her to give the clothes to me so I can change but she won’t move a muscle. She just stands there studying me up and down, fear was eminent in her eyes, she doesn’t trust me.

 

Smart decision kid. I wouldn’t trust me either.

 

With kind words Suho encourage her to step forward and do what he said, promising he will protect her if something terrible would happen in the process. Then she finally takes a small step one after another whilst peeking at Suho every few steps. With our distance keep decreasing I can’t help but wonder why Suho would let a kid in his pack, a girl one at that. Back home, Kris would never hire someone so young to help him. It’s a nuisance he’d say, and at the end of the day, young ones would never know things as planning a battle or fighting anyone. I kill the likes of this girl every chance I got, but here, Suho actually letting them live and even show compassion towards them. What the hell is he thinking?

 

Without me realizing, the girl stood before me, holding out her hands as she handing me the clothes. I was about to grab them when I see she’s smiling at me. Wait, why is she smiling? Is there something wrong with her? Is there something wrong with me? She smiles shyly at me while batting her eyelashes at me, her chubby cheeks were push up and I can make out a tint of blush. God, it creeps me out. What do I do?

 

I’m positive my face was scrunching, I have no idea how to respond. Do I wave at her? Or should I pat her head as Suho did before? Do I have to say something? I want her to go away. How should I say that? I was my hands as I continue to think hard what am I supposed to do, but I guess the little girl was scared when she saw my stance, and the next thing I know was Suho pulling the girl back to him and the scowling guy move so fast between me and the little girl, acting as her shield. His eyes were guarded, prepared to tackle me down at any moment.

 

The scene unfolding before me somehow making me smile a little. They are willing to protect each other. Even I had to admit I was a bit impressed with the scowling guy here, I thought he was just another trouble that worth nothing. After all ever since he met me he only whines and scowls at every order he got from Suho. But I guess I was wrong. The second he senses danger his aura burst out, seeping through his movement. 

 

“I didn’t mean anything. I’m sorry.” My voice was soft yet clear at the same time. I don’t want them to presume bad and have me being watched 24/7. I had enough of that at Kris.

 

I guess Suho can see my sincerity because he let out a small laugh to lessen the tension. He shook his head a little, eyes fixed on me. The man before me started to relax and after glaring at me for a few seconds, he grabs the clothes which were abandoned on the floor as a result of their action before and then threw it to my laps. He orders me to change quickly so I and he can head out. Not wanting any weird event to occurred, I let his tone slide and proceed to the bathroom.

 

Changing my clothes has never been done so quickly before, I was so eager to leave and see Lay. I need to know if he’s alright, I can never forgive myself if he’s hurt because of me. Besides I need to know what happened back at our pack, what Kris had planned, and I kind of worry about Jongdae too. We have to protect each other now more than ever.

 

Stepping out of the bathroom, I noticed both Suho and the little girl had already left, leaving me alone with the scowling guy. I need to stop calling him that. I wish he would hurry up and tell me his name, but I think it’s not going to happen unless I ask him. He then led me out of the room and out of the clinic.

 

Under the gentle sun, its rays warm my skin. The leaves on the ground have a soft green and brown touch to it and the ground is scattered with colorful petals that dance in the breeze. I stop momentarily and close my eyes, loving the wind touch my face. I guess I missed this. A smile creeped its way out, and my mind brought me back to when I used to play with him long time ago. When I used to have a bright thought about everything. Before I met Kris.

 

It’s not all bad I think, I get to meet Lay and the others. They make it more bearable, they make my pain more bearable. For that, I thank them silently. Because god knows how bad pain will be when you’re in solitude. It’s not the company I guess, it’s not the affection they offered, what makes me grateful is that they provided a good distraction for me. And I really need that. I need the distraction, from my own thoughts, from my guilt, from everything gone wrong. 

 

Stop Luhan. Stop thinking.

 

Opening my eyes, I can sense someone’s watching me at the corner of my eyes. It’s that guy. He leans right to a tree, hands folded the front of his chest, keeping a bored gaze to me. I’m surprised he didn’t yell at me to move but rather keep his patience waiting for me. He raised his eyebrow at me as if he asks me if I was done yet. I rolled my eyes at him and move closer, signaling I’m ready to follow him. Then we started walking.

 

We continue to walk until we see the packhouses up ahead, I look around and saw a group of kids playing around, and at the other side of my view, I saw several groups of males in combat. Two of them were fighting with nothing as a weapon. Fists take a turn from both parties, intending a serious hit but missed most of the time. They , it was the only thing that registers in my brain. Our skill was no matched for them. I can read every move they were about to make, and think every possible way to counter-attack. Even our troops have better fighting skills than theirs. I scoff out loud. Maybe we were just wasting our time worrying about them.

 

Once the two fighting men noticed the guy guiding me has arrived, they stopped what they were doing and smile, bowing a little. As for the rest, they too have stalled their activity and bow down a little to him as well.

 

“Hello Sehun”, chores of this welcome were heard from them. Sehun? Is that his name?

 

Sehun nodded at them for them to continue their activity and so they did. Peering my eyes at everyone I’m positive to state they do this willingly, it was not out of fear, maybe they fear him but it was not prominent. What I can make out was they looked at him with pride, and had so much respect, that it was almost impossible to not see the love they show for him. It is as impossible as to not see the wandering eyes at me given by his people. It doesn’t take a genius to know they’re curious to know who I am. But none of them make any comment, believing they would be told when the time has come.

 

Turning a corner, we entered into an open area of green grass, palm trees, and landscaped garden. In the middle of the open land sat a huge cabin. A long patio wound around each side and I could see a large satellite dish sat on the other side of the house. The outer walls of the living room on the first floor were replaced by glass, making me able to see through the furniture inside. , and this is just one house. The Suho does to manage this fortune?

 

With a snap of someone’s finger, I control the urge to keep looking around and be amazed by it then continue to follow Sehun as he makes way to enter his house. The front entry was lead into by solid double doors which I thought were hand-carved in an intricate design. I stretched my legs as I explore the first level.

 

Sehun first led me to an impressive sitting room with several cream leather easy chairs and a large L shape couch of the same material. A mahogany bookcase was on the west side of the sitting room as well as double doors that lead out to the backyard. The place looked like it belongs in one of that royalty kind of thing, decorated with dark, earth, and rich tones with dark furniture except for these couches. And also a large marble fireplace with a giant flat-screen TV above it.

 

Off to the right of the foyer was the kitchen which was sparkling of an appliance, and out on the back, the deck was a pool of more than enough portions that had two diving boards with different heights. Apart from my shocked condition, I can’t help but silently ask why is our lifestyle so fatally dissimilar. Forget about their grand qualities of things, there’re humans here. Not just the one we use to be our back up and help us to do our mission, there’re women and even kids. Are they really a Gervais?

 

“Listen, I’m going to leave for a bit. Your room is upstairs, don’t cause any trouble.” He said without giving a spare glance at me, then leave quickly after he grabs his jacket which was laying on the floor with other clothes of his. Might as well investigate this house while he’s gone.

 

Looking around the house I can’t find anything suspicious, not a single map, or list of names, strength, skills, or even just one single weapon. None. He has no protection whatsoever in his place. Either he’s very convinced of his skill or very stupid. I’m certain he’s one of the Gervais, the respect he gains proves that. But there’s not a clue here to tip me what kind of power he has, what kind of battle strategy they use, therefore I can’t put my guard down just yet.

 

The moment I was about to walk out the door and inspect my new surroundings, a silhouette of someone standing behind me becomes clear. I stop dead in my track, had I been so engrossed to the point I can’t sense someone sneaking up on me? Maybe there was something wrong with me, did Kris do some to my body before I was sent here? That or maybe my skill had decreased rapidly. I scoff silently. Nah, that’s not possible.

 

I was contemplating if I should take him down or not, then I remember I am not supposed to make any hasty movements. Every action will be watched. They’re suspicious enough with me, and if I happen to fight one of them out of the blue there would be rumors going on around that I could be a threat to them. It would be a pain in the . But what am I supposed to do? Act weak and oblivious about what’s going on? Let the man behind me attack me or something? Like hell that’s going to happen. Where the is Lay anyway?

 

One step later behind me, I could feel his breath at the crook of my neck, his body heat rolling out in waves and hit my body. He was too close. He was invading my territory I realized. He wanted to make me feel scared, he wanted to dominate me. Well, ain’t that stupid. Screw this.

 

I make a sudden move while crouching down and putting out my elbow then spun around so fast hoping I could catch him off guard but sadly my attack missed. It didn’t even graze his shirt. The second I crouch down he’s able to guess that I’m about to bring him down thus he jump further back away from me. I was a little bit star-struck then, my movement had not been slow, and this fellow manages to escape it. Maybe this pack has someone with good fighting skills.

 

“The was that for?” And of course, it has to be him.

 

“You know before I know who you are, I’m a little bit impressed. But when I know it was someone from my team I’m now disappointed.” I said as my eyes bore to him. If he’s the one I attack earlier he should be able to block and counter-attack and yet he just escapes it and run away from me.

 

“Why you are always disappointed with me Luhan?” he sighs loudly and walks closer to me. “We’re in this together. Shouldn’t we learn to try and get along?” pfft, keep dreaming boy.

 

Jongdae wears casual shirts and shorts, his body covered with some kind of dirt which stuck a little bit to his hair. He looks like a hobo. I eyed him in disgust and take a step back. Wanting to create more distance between us. What the hell happened to him? I rolled my eyes a little at him and asked where Lay is. I’m relieved that Jongdae is safe but I can’t relax before I know Lay’s wellbeing.

 

To my question, he blinks a few times and scratches the back at his neck. Avoiding any eye contact and give me a forced smile.

 

“There’s something wrong with Lay”

 

And just like that, I stop breathing. God please no. Please no.