Chapter 8 – Show Your Worth

GERVAIS

He’s retarded I tell you. A moron. in idiot. Forget anything I said about worrying over him, he could be mutilated by a shark for all I care, and I swore I’ll dance over his grave.

 

Turns out, by ‘something’s wrong with lay’ means he adjust well to our new surroundings, having a bunch of friends and helping around our enemy. And here I thought he was cuffed somewhere in the dungeon, scars running all over him, no sunlight coming through, and other grim stuff. Jongdae had me panicking over nothing. ing prick.

 

Jongdae told me everything that happened before we left Kris’ compound, and how we got to this territory. Turns out, this Gervais has a significant role going around among humans. They help humans. If they ever see any humans in need in their way, they will spring to action, offering them food, shelter, protection, and such. That’s why I saw kids and women here, they’re not used to protect this land or any event related to action like I thought, Suho actually taking them in to help them.

 

Kris saw that as an opportunity, he used that bracelet on me to trick them. So when Lay and Jongdae carried me who was unconscious at that time, we had obviously won their sympathy. However none humans actually know where is Suho’s compound, this Gervais only takes humans outside their perimeter, when they actually went to humans village or exploring other territories, if they saw someone in a dire situation only then they would offer them coming here. So when they saw me, Lay and Jongdae right before their compound, they started to doubt our purposes, nonetheless, they still took us in.

 

Jongdae also told me that when I spent two weeks in the hospital, Jongdae and Lay had already been given out tasks to help around, each of them stationed in a different department. Where Lay placed in the pharmacy team, Jongdae was placed in a team training specialized with guns. I guess that makes sense, Jongdae’s skill in shooting beats anyone back home, even me. And of course Lay is second to none in paramedic. I guess Suho managed to notice this in such a short amount of time. A great observant skill I guess.

 

By the time Jongdae left, Sehun comes back a little later and told me there’re people I need to meet. So here I am, sitting awkwardly with Sehun across from me, watching my every move. He doesn’t even make it secretive, he just rests his chin over his palm and burns his gaze to me. Nothing weird about that. None. At. All.

 

Once again my eyes catch those of this strange man. He’s staring at me with a disturbing insistence. I shudder a little at his insistent look. My instinct tells me to stay alert and never one to let my guard down. As if there were some kind of danger. His stormy eyes remind me of a cold storm; cruel, mysterious, and unforgiving. And that storm somehow managed to circle him, creating a prominent wall to stop anyone who wants to read him.

 

“What’s your name?” his voice breaking the silence as he continues to study me, as we continue to study each other.

 

“Luhan,” I said lowly, his lip tugging a bit at the corner whilst he drops his gaze downwards. Is he mocking me?

 

“What do you want coming to our land?” he asked while brushing his hair back absentmindedly. He could be attractive if he tried.

 

I shrugged to his question and finally avert my eyes away from him. A little habit I adopt when I’m lying. “Help, I guess. I don’t mean any harm. Trust me.”

 

He scoffs out loud at my response, his mocking smirk present so clear on his face as if he could not believe I said that. I scrunch my eyebrows at him as I try to understand what riled him up. He looks at me up and down and he makes a tsk sound over and over again.

 

“Trust you? To do that, I need to know who you are dear. And right now you’re not making any easier for me.” His tone was firm, leaving me no space to argue. He made it clear he saw me as a threat. “How did you find this place?”

 

He leans back at his head, again, and folds his arms in front of his chest waiting for my answer. How did I find this place? The answer is simple, I didn’t. Kris did, but it’s not like I can explain how Kris managed to pinpoint their location either. If only I didn’t encounter any of their armies I might have never come here in the first place. If only I didn’t tell them that night when we report back to Kris after our battle, maybe Lay and Jongdae won’t be here facing their biggest hazardous situation.

 

“It’s my fault,” I said, my face stoic, free from any emotion.

 

Sometimes I forget the reasons why I’m fighting those battle, why would there’d be a fight at all, why would Gervais that once was created to help the mortals ends up being the one wiping them out. But after one look at Kris, everything becomes crystal clear once again. They started this, those ungrateful beings were the ones who provoke us.

 

Humans. Tch. Such a lowly creature. Someday I’ll make them pay for hurting what’s mine, for thinking they could leave without no consequences after breaking my whole world. A part of this gruesome story is my fault I know if only I managed to keep him away from me if only I could convince him I, a Gervais, was no good for him. Because there will only be a danger, no peace, no warmth, no future. Why would I thought I was enough at that time, to protect him, to think I too could have a chance for happiness, now I must pay a heavy price for that foolishness.

 

Movements from the corner of my eye caught my attention. I forgot where I was for a moment, I had spent a good ten minutes gazing out of the windows as my mind brought me back in time. Sehun I noticed is still watching me, but different from before, I could make out one emotion in his eyes. He’s not judging me, what I saw is deeper than just his casual mocking stare. What is he thinking?

 

“Do you pity me?” I asked out loud, curiosity got me as his intense gaze multiple. It was making me uncomfortable.

 

“Pity you? We’re all in the same game, just at different levels. All dealing with pain, just with different fears. So no, I don’t pity you. Humans like you must have a fair share of your own hell, I have no right to disrespect you like that.”

 

His words make me speechless, his tone was so smooth like he believes everything he said. His words reassure me in a strange way. I don’t know what it is but he’s really different from what I imagined the first time I met him. He acts like a kid sometimes, but his traits make me look up to him at times like this. I make a small smile unconsciously as I remember how his people pay him great respect just by seeing him walking near them. This pack is nothing like ours.

 

Loud knocks make me and Sehun broke our connected view and look to the door. Thanks to the glass covering all the walls here, I can picture a lot of guys outside his doorstep. Great. I scratch my neck, already dreading the upcoming event. I hope this doesn’t take long. I could use a good nap right now. I watch Sehun as he stands up and heads to open the door.

 

“I’m hungry, do you have food?” one of his friends said as soon he stepped inside.

 

“Hello to you too Baekhyun,” Sehun said tiredly, but I can make out a smirk crawling to his face. “But yea, there’re some snacks in the kitchen.” Before Sehun even finished his sentence that Baekhyun guy already runs to grab some food.

 

“Yo Sehun, you wouldn’t believe what happened to me earlier!” one guy with a darker skin tone than the rest of them said with much enthusiasm. His body is lean but his muscle is obvious underneath his white shirt. “Some prick prank me, I had frost cream all over my body this morning when I woke up and when I was about to stand up I realized they ing oil the floor making me fall flat on my face!”

 

Some guy with a silver hair laughs his off as he flopped down to one of the couch. He laughs so hard to the point he wipes his tears as a result of his undying laugh. “You should’ve seen his face!”

 

“Did you do that Chanyeol? My house is a ing mess because of that!” the lean guy asked the one who been laughing earlier. His face is turning red with fury towards Chanyeol, and his fist is getting tighter by the second he stands there.

 

“No Kai. But whoever did that is a ing genius!” Chanyeol continues to laugh out loud. And it seems to anger Kai even more.

 

Out of nowhere a guy much shorter than the rest of them come and smack Chanyeol at the back of his head. “Stop laughing. Say sorry to Kai.” He said this the same time as Baekhyun come back with lots of snacks on each hand.

 

“Why is it every time I’m having fun its wrong?” Chanyeol groans whilst slamming his head back, ignoring the little guy in order to apologize.

 

Sehun laughs seeing his friend's action unraveled before him. It was the first time I heard his laugh, it was also the first time he shows his true emotion without guarding it like he does when he’s with me. It’s somehow refreshing, his laugh. Sehun then pats Kai’s back and usher him towards the couch. Kai points his finger to Chanyeol as he threatens him, “Interrupt my sleep again, and I swear I’ll interrupt your breathing.”

 

They’re so noisy. Laughing, shouting, munching food all at the same time. How can they maintain this relationship with each other? Why would they have compassion seeped through their movements whenever they talk to one another? They’re so close. This bond they have, it doesn’t exist in my pack. Forget about compassion, we don’t even laugh or prank with anyone. We were so busy training and training. Pushing our body to be better at every possible chance.

 

Did they forget what those humans do to us a long time ago? Or perhaps it didn’t happen to this part of Gervais? Did it only happen to me and my team? Here I am suffering every day for hundreds of years and possibly for the rest of eternity, yet they are having fun, their environment consists of rainbow and butterflies whereas mine consists of blood and death.

 

I can’t remember the last time I make jokes to someone. I can’t remember the last time I laugh so hard to my heart’s content. Perhaps it was long ago when I was still with him. My memories of him why is it only consists of our mistake and him dying? Don’t I have any good times? I look over at Sehun and his friend again, I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m not bothered by them, not even in the slightest. I guess, maybe, just a tiny part of me missed that. And another big part of me envies them.

 

“Woah, what’s going on here?” Baekhyun said suddenly while looking around as if he sees something invisible from the rest of our eyes. Then finally his gaze fixed on me. “You...” he said trailing off “... what’s wrong?”

 

I was momentarily shocked, what does he mean by that? Nothing is wrong. My mouth opens and closes repeatedly like a gaping fish, not knowing what to say back. Then I settled by raising my eyebrows at him, silently questioning what he is talking about.

 

“What were you thinking about? Stop that.” He told me with a stern voice like he was scolding a child

 

“What are you talking about?” I asked not minding my tone to be a bit higher than I intended to be. By now the rest of his team had already stop their jokes and start to watch me and Baekhyun.

 

The little guy who was smacking Chanyeol’s head before clear his throat gaining my attention, my face is still confused. “I believe you know Gervais lives here, otherwise you wouldn’t come looking for help here. And he...” the little guy then points at Baekhyun “... is one of the Gervais. He can control light and he can sense everyone’s light emitting from within their inner side, or also known as an aura. Just before, he senses your aura is getting darker and it was rolling out in waves.”

 

He can control light? Is he the one I saw on the battlefield at that time? ! Did he remember me? I was running full speed to him, I didn’t even think to cover my face. I peered my eyes carefully to study him, searching for any sign whether he recognized me or not. Controlling light and even can sense the darkness around him. He can see someone’s mind by their true colors. It’s remarkable. In a world where everyone wears a mask, it’s a privilege to be able to read a soul.

 

“So... Luhan, is it?” He asked again with a much softer voice than before. I nodded my head at him, signaling him to continue. “I’m Kyungsoo. Suho asked us to tell you something. Your other friend Lay and Jongdae had already begun to pay their stay by helping us around, and he wants you to start to do the same. So... what can you do?”

 

Well... I have no idea what to say. I’m good at killing humans? Or should I say I’m good at making someone’s life a living hell? Is it ok to say that?

 

“He’s good at hand-to-hand combat.” Suddenly I could hear a familiar voice, I follow the direction of his voice, and true to my guess, it is Lay. He was standing beside Jongdae at the threshold, plastering a warm smile over to me. “I’m sorry for my rude behavior to speak without given permission first, but Suho sent us here to help you and explain things to Luhan. He could rather be a little.... difficult.” All the way he said this, never once his gaze left me.

 

What did he mean by that? I scowl at his poorly value over me. But I know his true feelings, his worry for me was plastered for all to see on his face, and only by checking my whole body over and over again did his worry start to lessen gradually. I smile fondly to him, silently convincing him that I’m alright. He probably hated Kris for what he did to me before we leave. If there’s one thing I’m grateful for, its Lay, and nothing else.

 

“Really? You don’t seem like the type to know how to fight, let alone be a good fighter.” Baekhyun said whilst eyeing me up and down. It seems that’s something they have in common, studying someone so obviously. “I’m in charge of developing our troop’s combat skills. So, if you don’t mind, can I confirm your friend's statement by holding a match between you and one of my men?”

 

Of course, it doesn’t matter. After knowing how terrible those guys fight, I’m sure I can win this a thousand times. To think the person in charge is someone like him is laughable. This indicates my skill is far above Baekhyun’s, and maybe the rest of them.

 

Kai then orders us to stand up and gesture for the rest of us to follow him. One by one, we started to walk out the door with me and Sehun the last one to go. I can feel Sehun’s eyes occasionally peered over to me like he was going to ask me something. I don’t really care right now. I don’t know him well enough to write him off as being harmless.

 

“What are you thinking?” he asked without facing me. If we didn’t happen to be so far away from the rest of the team, I wouldn’t think he was talking to me. “You know you can use words to explain yourself right?”

 

“Words are used to lie. They’re merely tools for deceiving people.” I’m such a bitter person yet I can’t bring myself to care anymore. Because nothing was worth changing for.

 

“Of all the people I met. You are the strangest one dear.” I cringe at his pet name. That’s disgusting, it irked me.

 

Whilst talking to him, we arrive at the open clearing I saw earlier when I passed it after being discharged from the hospital. Like before their army was practicing their fighting skill with one another. While the majority of the group watch the fight not far from here. All of their men, also like before, halted their action and stand properly to greet Sehun and the others.

 

Baekhyun then explains to them that he wants to test the new guy, which is me I believe, so he can make a decision whether I’m worthy or not in this team. Some of them had the nerve to laugh at the sight of me, while a good amount of them start chattering like I don’t look like much a threat. Then I can hear Lay’s voice booming from the side of the clearing, “Don’t mess with him guys, he can make your nightmares looks like a joke.” To Lay’s comment, they scoff out loud and ask Lay to stop muttering nonsense. Lay’s only reply was a small laugh. I noticed these troops probably have known Lay and in a good relationship with him.

 

Baekhyun then points to one of his guys. He’s the tallest guy I’ve seen in this place with the same combat suit, wide shoulder, and well built. Blonde curly hair reaches past his pierced ears. A wide grin dangles from his lips as he looks down at me. This is the one I need to fight? I pop my knuckles as I watched him getting nearer to me. This wouldn’t take long. Baekhyun then shout from the side, already accompanied by his teammates, “Go ahead! Make my day.”

 

Then suddenly the fight begins as he runs circling me and puts his hands around me from behind, hoping to trap and crush me. “Get your ing hands off me!” I hissed, barely able to keep my anger contained. He let out a low growl, but I didn’t feel the least bit intimidated and I ignored him. He tightens his hold on me, trying so hard to hurt me.

 

“Stop fighting me. You cannot win.” I growled, my hand so hard that it turned white. I need to ing calm down before I snap his little neck, with or without my power that would be an easy thing.

 

I rammed my head against him, the back of my head knocking right to his face, hearing a sickening sound so loud that I’m sure I broke his nose. I didn’t give him time to catch his breath as I grip his hand so hard. Crouching down, I gather my strength quickly and throw the man away. His back collides with the ground, and I could hear his comrades gasp in unison. I don’t have to face Lay and Jongdae behind me to know they’re plastering a smug smirk right now.

 

I walk forward to my opponent then I ripped my hands from my side to pull a fist and socking him right in the eye. He cursed in pain, stumbling backward as he held his eye with one hand. But before he could recover, I crouched low and delivered a sweeping kick to his ribcage. He fell sideways choking on air. His gasps are enough to tell me he’s done for today.

 

Straddling him with my knees on either hand of him locking them in place at his side, my own hands find their way to his neck, his struggle went futile. Seems he’s already weakened from my previous attacks. I keep pressing pressure to his neck, his breath grows short and it sounds painful. But I wasn’t going to stop, I can’t stop.

 

“Luhan that’s enough.” And just like that, I stop. Of course Lay can easily control me by saying one thing. He can easily tell me what to do while sometimes I, on the other hand, can’t even control my own acts.

 

Turning around, I face Baekhyun and the others. “Am I of value to you now?” my smirk could not get any wider than this.