Many Men...

MILK.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6: Many Men... (Wish Death) Upon Me

 

"Have you seen this?" Jennie asked, drawing up a Times article on a sparkling iPhone. She was splayed out onto what used to be my bed, legs kicking as she waited for us to read it. I quickly peeked at the screen, and saw it was a think piece on the new South Korean government department that was specifically dedicated to Kpop. 

"How did you get a phone in here?" I questioned. A pang of jealousy went through me as Chaeyoung scrolled, remembering my own iPhone that was gifted to me that was quickly confiscated upon arrival. Being able to listen to music and have uncensored access to the outside world had utmost importance to me.

"Anyone can get one smuggled in if they have the right amount, money that is," Jennie said carefully. "You guys probably didn't get one because for one, no one likes you, and for two, it's a know fact Jisoo watches you two like a hawk."

"Touché," Chaeyoung replied. I saw her eyes skim over the article at record speed. I was lagging behind her as English was my third language, meanwhile it was only her second. It made me a bit frustrated. Suddenly, she made a sound of puzzlement. I barely had enough time to look back up to her.

"Wait," she said as an afterthought. "This doesn't make any sense."

"What?" Jennie questioned, raising a perfectly filed straight brow.

"There's no correlation to what you just said," Chaeyoung said simply. "Of course there would be a kpop department. It's one of the nation's soft powers. This industry was quite literally born out of economic strife in the first place. It makes sense for the government to prioritize their own interest, especially since we finally have something over China."

Little did we know, that last comment would not age well. Jennie leaned her head back and let out a childish laugh, looking genuinely surprised. "Kpop is propaganda," Jennie slowly said, as if she couldn't believe we hadn't come to the same understanding. "Poor naive Chaeyoung. Don't you know of all the censorship that goes into making a song sound clean?"

"Okay that's true," I said, willing to hear both sides out. "Nothing too political can be played on broadcasting channels. But neither can One More by FIESTAR. A song about a is hardly a call for revolution. So? It's nothing on Park Chung-hee level, you know?"

"Not just that," Jennie said sharply. She rolled over onto her back to face us. "Trust me. My mom is an important stock holder in SM, JYP--"

"We see how you got in," I murmured. Chaeyoung shot me a warning look. Jennie glared.

"--Anyways." Jennie sniffed, nose in the air at my slight diss. "She says there's a dark underbelly. Lots of trafficking, money laundering, brainwashing, you name it. If I play my cards right, I can transcend the genre and be a mouthpiece maybe. Live a easy life when the new world order comes. I suggest you two do the same."

'"What," Chaeyoung and I chorused. I'm glad I wasn't the only one immediately lost. I never took Jennie as someone who'd believe in baseless conspiracy theories, as annoying as she was. Perhaps she was in one of those cults? I unintentionally narrowed my eyes at Jennie. She honestly didn't look insane to me. 

Jennie waved us off. "Just thinking out loud," she said quietly. She bit her bottom lip, looking into space. She suddenly looked worried, as if she had spilled too much information.

"Right..." I drawled. If even possible, my dislike of Jennie staying in our home grew even stronger. It was getting weird...Judging by Chaeyoung's face she was thinking so too. She was always the one who couldn't keep on a good poker face, after all. 

"Well," Chaeyoung trailed off. She patted Jennie's smooth knee and grimaced. "We'll leave you to it."

Jennie nodded with an unreadable expression on her face, and we exited her room, closing the door comically slow. Once we were at a safe distance, I said in a frank voice, "What the ."

Chaeyoung quickly shushed me. Nevertheless she nodded in agreement, biting her nails. A tell-tale sign she was getting anxious. Some serious wheels in her head must've been turning if she was willing to risk her manicure, a rare indulgence. "There's something she's holding back."

"Obviously," I said with a roll of my eyes. My mind immediately wandered to the world beyond these YG walls, and wondered just how much Jennie knew of it. I shook my head, attempting to clear my thoughts. I should change the topic, I thought to myself. I grabbed a towel off the back of the door, handing it to Chaeyoung. She smiled gratefully, knowing it was a rare occasion where I'd give her first dibs on the shower.

 "Should I bother making some dinner?" I said suddenly.

Chaeyoung yawned, taking a glance at the alarm clock. 2:00 AM, it read. She shook her head in response. "I wouldn't bother. It's late. We can just eat one of those homemade choco pie things Jisoo made yesterday," she said.

I pondered on it for a moment, then I shrugged, realizing I didn't actually care. Usually I would be reluctant to eat Jisoo's creations, considering the fact Chaeyoung would completely disregard caution. I also still had an inkling of suspicions towards Jisoo. But at the same time, I didn't feel like bothering to heat up some instant ramen. It was just one of those days in general, where I felt particularly lazy. Not to mention that I get thrown off track when a lot of things happen at once. Staying afloat in time of adversity was kind of Chaeyoung's thing anyway. Plus, I had actually grown quite fond of choco pies.

"Another thing," Chaeyoung said, giving me a serious look. "We're all allies here at the end of the day. So no more picking with Jennie. Please."

I rolled my eyes, trying not to make a smart remark under my breath. Regardless, I nodded.

"I'm serious," Chaeyoung emphasized. "Promise me."

"Okay," I said, with a heavy sigh. "I promise."

 

***

Now, that could've been considered a lie to be honest. However, it depends on how you interpreted Chaeyoung's words. She said no picking with Jennie. I wasn't picking with the broad. I was simply defending myself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter