Chapter 1: The Hero

The Crime Busting Chronicles of Do Kyungsoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Okay, maybe he hadn’t thought this through. His boxer briefs kept giving him a wedgie and he was sweating buckets under the ski mask and the double layer of sweaters he had on, but at least he wasn’t recognizable, right? That was what mattered most. Still, what was he doing there, squatting in an empty alley with a police radio scanner crackling in his gloved hands. He should just go back home.

    Wait. The radio whined and shorted, then started up again. A subway hijacking on the blue line down Main Street. Yes, yes. This was what he was waiting for. He stood up too fast, hissing when he almost toppled over, then broke into a run. He was only six blocks from Main Street, so he made quick work of the distance, but he paused just before he reached the bustle. The action would be on Main Street, but the ones he was looking for…those would be elsewhere. He hummed pensively, peeking onto Main Street, then onto Ashbury Avenue, which ran parallel to Main Street. And— oh! There they were, on top of a five story building. He ran towards them, taking the stairs two at a time until he reached the roof and burst out between humming air vents.

    Holy. .

    These were actual superheroes, in the flesh. Hydro, the leader, was shorter than he expected, but still very much the typical picture of a superhero, his blue suit painted on to his muscles, his hair perfectly coifed above a black half-mask. The Crimson Hawk hovered a foot off the ground, tall and lanky and almost garish in his red suit and flowing cape. The Silver Phantom stood by Hydro, a hip cocked to one side, his shock of white hair matching the muted gray gradient of his suit and the white of his gloves and boots. And finally, Black Phoenix, enigmatic and totally scary as he folded his arms across his chest, his hair falling perfectly across half his forehead. His black suit also showed off his muscles and long, long legs.

    “Who’re you?” Hydro asked, finally breaking the silence.

    Kyungsoo, he’s Kyungsoo. But he couldn’t say that so he blanked. “Um.”

    “Nice outfit,” Silver Phantom said with a giggle.

    Crimson Hawk snorted behind him.

    “Be nice,” Hydro hissed. “Look, kid—” kid?! What the ? “—go back home. This is too dangerous for you.”

    “I’m not a kid,” Kyungsoo squeaked. “A-and I’m here to help. I have superpowers, just like you guys!”

    “Do you?” Black Phoenix asked, his voice flat.

    “Super strength and heightened reflexes,” Kyungsoo said, their expectant eyes chipping at his resolve.

    “Well, show us,” Crimson Hawk said. “We’re supposed to be stopping a train highjacking.”

    Right, right. He looked around wildly to find something heavy, but the air vents were bolted to the ground, and Kyungsoo was not exactly keen on destroying private property. He wrung his hands, then spotted the water tower. Not ideal, but better than ripping an air vent free of its bolts. He shut off the valve, then lifted the tower with ease and twirled it for emphasis. Water sloshed inside, almost tipping him over, but before it could Kyungsoo set it back down gently and opened the valve again.

    “Wow,” Silver Phantom said. “That was actually impressive.”

    “Okay, you can join us,” Hydro said, “but you have to follow our lead.”

    Black Phoenix looked ready to protest, but Hydro gave him a sharp look.

    “Black Phoenix is going to teleport into the car with the high jacker and try to disarm him. Crimson Hawk and I will be waiting at the next station, working with the crew to clear the platform and the street. Silver Phantom is our lookout for tonight, so you can stay with him.”

    Kyungsoo opened his mouth to protest but he decided against it when he saw Hydro’s stern look. It was probably for the best that he stayed out of their way. Yeah, that made sense.

    “What’s your hero name?” Crimson Hawk asked.

    . Oh . . Kyungsoo hadn’t thought of one. How stupid could he be? Of course they would’ve asked him for a name. All their eyes were on him; no pressure at all. He was sweating through his undershirt, and he knew his neck and ears were red. , they needed to move, the train was coming into view.

    “S-steel Pig,” he blurted.

    “Steel Pig?” Crimson Hawk repeated.

    Silver Phantom snorted, then dissolved into giggles. Hydro and Black Phoenix were hiding smiles. Well, that was a stupid name choice.

    “It makes sense,” Hydro said at last, absolutely failing at hiding his amusement now. “Alright, Steel Pig, wait here with Silver Phantom. If we need backup, we’ll let you know.”

    Kyungsoo nodded, settling next to Silver Phantom and fiddling with his ski mask. He probably should have told Hydro that he couldn’t really see farther than three feet without his glasses, but he was stuck here now, with Silver Phantom’s twinkling eyes.

    “I’d say this should be a fairly straightforward mission but things have a way of getting out of hand in ways you don’t expect,” Silver Phantom said.

    “Ah,” said Kyungsoo. “I-is that bad?”

    Silver Phantom shrugged. “It means you’ll probably see some action tonight. You’ll be popping your al superhero cherry.”

    Kyungsoo choked on his spit. That was not the metaphor he was expecting. And it reminded him of someone he knew. In fact, everything about Silver Phantom seemed familiar, from his rectangular smile to the mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

    Silver Phantom clapped him on the shoulder.

    “S’probably not anything to worry about,” said Silver Phantom, looking back out at the tracks.

    So they waited. The train came screeching into view, and Kyungsoo was pretty sure he could see two black, person-shaped blobs fighting in the conductor’s car. People were rushing off the platform and down the stairs, guided by Hydro and Crimson Hawk; at least he was easy to spot, with his freakish height and bright red superhero costume.

    “Hm.”

    “Hm?” Kyungsoo turned to look at Silver Phantom, who’d narrowed his eyes at the train.

    “Something isn’t right.”

    Kyungsoo opened his mouth to ask what but just as he turned—

    A puff of black smoke, and then Black Phoenix appeared. Kyungsoo almost let a scream, but thankfully, he didn’t. That would have been very unsuperhero-like of him.

    “The b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter