Part Six

Heartbeat

An awful ringing fills Seungwan's ears and she grimaces in displeasure, wishing only that it would stop.

A voice breaks through the din, but she is too disoriented to make sense of the words, still caught up in trying to understand where she is, and who is speaking, and why that ringing just goes on and on.

She groans a confused question and the voice repeats itself.

"I said, are you going to get up or do you just want to listen to your lovely alarm some more?"

A weight shifts on the other side of the bed and then there is an arm draping over her side, clumsily reaching for the noisy phone on the bedside table. A warm body presses against her back, a kiss is left on her cheek.

"Good morning, by the way," Sooyoung says sheepishly, and Seungwan laughs a little at the late greeting.

"Sorry, I was having some weird dream. I thought the ringing was part of it."

"That was your brain trying not to wake up. You should sleep more."

"Hmm. Let's do that now."

She snuggles a little closer to Sooyoung and smiles blissfully. She's so cozy and comfortable, she never wants to get up.

"Nice try, but you need to get to work. Try going to bed earlier next time."

"Why so cruel?" she whines, pulling the covers over her head. She hears Sooyoung's laughter, sees a shadow settle overhead before her girlfriend straddles her, stripping away her flimsy protection.

"Seungwan," she says, suddenly serious, still gripping the sheets in her hands. Seungwan blinks, confused at the change in mood. "How much longer are you going to do this? Run around in circles? You need to remember."

Sooyoung seems stern, almost angry, and Seungwan trembles at her words. Some part of her knows what Sooyoung means, although she can't quite make sense of it.

"What?"

The tense mood is gone and Sooyoung is stepping out of bed with a smile.

"I asked if you want me to make coffee while you shower. I'm pretty sure you're already going to be late." She pauses, seems to notice Seungwan's confusion. "Wow, you're still a little out of it, huh? You really need to get some more sleep, honey."

A quick peck to her lips and she's off, leaving a stunned Seungwan behind.

Eventually, the force of habit pushes her out of bed. She showers, get dressed, and steps out of the bedroom.

She walks into the living room, and the sky outside is dark.

She doesn't remember the day passing but she knows it isn't morning anymore. The table is set for two, dinner is ready, Sooyoung sits across from her and they eat in silence, the plates are empty and in Sooyoung's hands as she carries the dishes to the kitchen.

Seungwan grabs her arm, keeps her in place. Everything feels unstable, hanging on a thread.

"What's wrong?"

"Wrong? Nothing's wrong. We're just having dinner, honey."

"But you said... You said I have to remember."

There aren't any dishes anymore. The table is clear, they stand stiffly by its side.

Sooyoung smiles.

"Well, you do. You can't keep running forever. You have to say it."

"Say what?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Why not?”

Sooyoung is calm, stoic, and Seungwan feels her own desperation stupidly, entirely out of place.

"Because you already know. You just have to remember."

It's true, Seungwan realizes then. She does know it. She knows just what she has to say, if only she could remember it. That one word.

The arm in her grip slips free, fingers sliding against hers and holding her hand gently. Soft eyes lock on hers, eyes that aren't Sooyoung's, and familiar lips quirk into a smile.

And it isn't Sooyoung.

And Seungwan remembers. That one word.

"Joohyun."

In a flash, it all comes rushing back. Joohyun’s hands, holding hers. Joohyun’s eyes, gazing into her face. Joohyun’s lips, pulled into a sweet smile.

It’s Joohyun, here in front of her, all of her, and Seungwan remembers.

Seungwan remembers it all.

The woman in the plaza, the angel in the rain, the figure in the corridor, the stranger in the club, the presence all around her but never close enough to grasp.

It was all Joohyun.

As she stands there, overwhelmed by the realization, the memories continue, and it all seems so clear that she wonders how she could ever have forgotten.

How could she forget the love of her life?

Because it was Joohyun she was meant to meet in the club, Joohyun she confessed to on the university stairs, Joohyun that planned a million little surprises and took that vacation with her and impressed her parents.

Joohyun who woke by her side, who clung to her to keep her from leaving in the morning.

My precious warmth,” she’d murmur playfully into Seungwan’s neck.

It’s Joohyun, all of it is her, Seungwan’s whole life.

How could she have forgotten?

I lost you,” she utters breathlessly. “I… I forgot.”

Joohyun’s smile widens, her eyes soften as she gently brushes her thumb across the back of Seungwan’s hand.

But you remembered. I knew you would.”

Thin arms wrap around her, doing what she was too stunned to do, and then Joohyun clings to her, chin nestled on her shoulder.

But how?” she urges on, a desperate hint to her voice. What could have done this, torn them apart like they weren’t threads irrevocably entwined?

The arms around her cling tighter, then slowly release their hold, until Joohyun is facing her again.

"I don't know," she says sorrowfully. Her hands reach up to cup Seungwan's face, her fingertips brushing against skin like the most precious silk. "But I know that you won't find answers here."

Seungwan steps back in shock, then realizes the truth in Joohyun's words almost at once.

This world is as unreal as the others. She's witnessed its nonsensical passage of time, the way truth and lie shift into each other like the foam of one wave chasing the next.

"What's doing this?" She knows better than to expect answers from Joohyun, but she can't help it when all she has is questions.

"I can't tell you that. But I do know one thing."

A hand leaves her cheek, trails upward to gently push her hair out of her eyes, pat it into place.

"You'll find me. You'll always find me. Because it's you."

Tears spring to her eyes. She's scared, she has no idea of what she'll find outside this space, this little pocket of reality that they've made for each other.

"I love you," is all she can manage, trying her best not to grip Joohyun too tight, not to hurt her.

"My sweet Seungwan."

It's like the first time she's heard it. Just like then, everything comes crashing down around her, the world spins out of orbit and spins right back, and it's just them. It's just Joohyun.

"I know you're scared. But you have to go. You have to find your answers." Seungwan opens , but Joohyun silences her. "We can't stay here. We can't hide. You need to find out what's real, Seungwan."

"You have to wake up."

She knows it's the truth, but the thought of losing Joohyun again, even for a second, claws at her heart, pulls at her chest. She tries to speak, but only broken syllables escape her lips.

Finally, the sounds conjure up words and she whispers out an "I don't know how."

"Yes, you do." Joohyun smiles patiently, understandingly.

And Seungwan does know, she can already feel it as she says the words, but she fights it, struggles, clings, and she's scared of the unknown, and she'd stay here with Joohyun forever because it's safe.

But it isn't real.

But she clings tighter anyway.

And she lies, because maybe if she believes it, really believes it, it will become true.

"I don't know