First.

Backstory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let's just stop this. If you think she needs you more than I do, then go and leave."

Those were the last words I told Nam Joohyuk, the guy I have been in a relationship for more than four years. We used to be happy until someone came into the picture. He told me Irene was just an old friend but he didn't tell me how special she is to him. She was his first love. Then I realized, maybe I was the one who came into their picture. 

Three weeks have already passed but he still keeps on sending me text messages asking for my understanding and forgiveness. He admits that what he did was unfair for me. Irene was his past, I am his present and I guess he doesn't see me in his future. He never told me stories about his first love. I just knew it from a friend. Irene came back from America. She stayed there for almost eight years. When she arrived, wanna know who volunteered to pick her up at the airport and ditched me on our dinner date? It was supposed to be a celebration since I was the champion of the swimming competition. It was my first time, by the way. But then, I just told myself to understand him. I keep on understanding him but I also had enough. He explained that they never seen each other for a long time that's why he volunteered to pick her up. He didn't even gave me the chance to meet her. I don't even know if she knows me. That I am Nam Joohyuk's girlfriend. I don't know, maybe I am too selfish? He's not my possession anyway, so I let him go.

There was one time when I just finished my swimming competition. Sad but thankful, I ranked 2nd. He went there to congratulate me. 

"Suzy!" He called my name while jogging towards me. 

I always do my best to ignore him so I walked as fast as I could.  

"Hey, please, let's talk," he said and grabbed my arm.

I crossed my brows and faced him. "Will you stop following me?" 

"One last chance, please?"

I rolled my eyes and glared at him. "Hmm, how about a no?" Then I walked away.

Thankfully, my friend, Lisa came. We looked at each other and understood what was happening. I need a rescue. 

"Oh! Suzy, hurry up! Other girls are waiting at the cafeteria."

"Coming!" I shouted and jogged towards her. "You're a life saver," I whispered and smiled. 

I didn't see Joohyuk's face after I left him. Anyway, who cares.

--

Every year, the schools hold a team building activity for the youth leaders. I was assigned as the junior assistant leader while my ex-boyfriend was the leader. Unlucky for me, I and Joohyuk are in the same team. 

We were five in our group. I, Joohyuk, Seunghyun sunbae, Sohee sunbae and our freshman and sophomore, Dahyun and Vernon. I wanted to reject the invitation but my grades will suffer if I did. To be honest, I still feel awkward when I am this close to Joohyuk. 

Our head facilitator, Suho sunbae, started announcing the activities. Each person were given tents where we can rest and sleep. What I like the most is that we are located near the shore with a small forest-y area nearby. I like to gaze at the stars while listening to sound of the waves. 

During the whole afternoon, we were given lectures. It was kinda boring or maybe because of the weather and the time. My eyes felt so heavy, I wanted to sleep. I can see Nam Joohyuk, who was sitting beside Seunghyun sunbae, slowly closing his eyes to sleep. Hmm. I'll guess? He took his brother's night duty at their convenience store.

Then I heard him say, "Sunbae, can I get a 15-minute nap at my tent? Sorry, I worked from 7PM-3AM last night. I promise, 15 minutes."

Seunghyun sunbae nodded and tapped his shoulder. He said, "Yeah, sure. Don't worry, this session will just be pure lecture. I'll wake you up once we're done here. Go ahead and take a rest." He smiled at Joohyuk. Then he quietly escaped. 

Sunbae caught me watching Joohyuk so he cleared his throat and asked without looking at me, "Concern?"

I just scoffed and shook my head. Sohee sunbae, who was sitting beside me, smiled. She said, "Don't lie to yourself, sweetie. I'm still rooting for you two." She winked. 

What? I looked at her flustered and didn't give any replies. Everybody in the area knows that Joohyuk and I were in a relationship before but they didn't know the real reason why we broke up. They just know that we have each other's priorities. Still, I don't want people to think that he cheated on me which is not the real reason.

After the lecture, we have our snacks and a little bit of chit-chats. Nam Joohyuk finally woke up and joined us. He sat on our table together with Seunghyun sunbae, Sohee sunbae and the freshman and sophomore, Dahyun and Vernon. 

Seunghyun sunbae asked, "Joohyuk-a, would you like to help me and Vernon put up the bonfire later?"

He nodded. "Sure, sunbae."

Sohee sunbae butted in, "Suzy, Dahyun, want to help me grill the meat later?"

"Sure, sunbae," I and Dahyun replied. 

I looked at Joohyuk hastily and took a sip of my iced tea. He caught me so he smiled a little. 

"Hm, this is kinda sudden but can I just change the assignments?" Seunghyun sunbae said while his arms on top of the table. We looked at him altogether. 

"Me and Vernon will put up the bonfire. Sohee and Dahyun will grill the meat while Joohyuk and Suzy will join the treasure hunt. They only need two volunteers for that game, anyway."

"Sunbae!" I exclaimed. 

"If you will not follow my orders, then I will deduct your merits," he added. 

I sighed. Then Sohee sunbae smiled at me. "Just follow orders, sweetie."

"But Vernon and Dahyun can join, why us?" I complained. 

"Suzy, you can't let our freshmen join the hunt. We have other games planned for them," Seunghyun explained. 

"Sorry, noona. I can't join. My foot got sprained yesterday while playing basketball," Vernon added. 

"If Suzy doesn't wany to join the hunt, I and Sohee sunbae will," Joohyuk butted in. I glared at him. 

"Fine, you and Sohee sunbae must join," I said with a cold voice. I rolled my eyes towards Joohyuk. 

"Aigoo." Sohee sunbae shook her head. "That's enough. We have already decided. Suzy and Joohyuk will join." 

Seunghyun sunbae smiled. "Okay, so, let's get our up and start working. Vernon, come with me let's start gathering woods." 

"Yes, sunbae."

Seunghyun sunbae and Vernon stood up first, leaving us four. I knew these guys had a plan.

"Eonnie, enjoy," Dahyun teased me and winked. "Let's go, Sohee sunbae."

Sohee sunbae giggled and tapped me and Joohyuk before leaving. "See you later, lovebirds."

I groaned and buried my head on the table. "I hate this," I whispered. 

Joohyuk stood up and said, "We may not join, if you don't want to. Ah. I remembered, you're scared of the dark."

I glared at him and stood up. "Scared, my ." Then I walked away heading to the meeting area. 

He scoffed and followed me. 

Five  pairs were gathered ta the meeting area for the treasure hunt. It was a little bit forest-y but Suho sunbae assured that it was not dangerous. Joohyuk and I were wearing a same colored jacket. 

"We look like a couple, aren't we?" He asked while smiling at me. 

I scoffed and glared at him. "No, we don't."

He smiled a little. "Just tell me if you're scared, okay?" Then he tapped his arm muscle to show off. "See this? I'm stronger than you think now."

I crossed my brows and shook my head. "."

"Hey, watch your mouth." He smiled again. How annoying. 

Then, Suho sunbae started announcing, "Listen, guys, all you need to do is look for the five blue flags with the clues in it. Every clue you find, there is a stuff you can use during the hunt. It's hidden somewhere here. So, I have given you a piece of paper. Just read it and start the hunt. Okay, goodluck everyone. Ready, set, go!"

First clue : To begin the hunt and collect your prize, find your first clue where we'll lay our head to rest. Look for the green one. 

"Omo, tent! Hurry!" I shouted in excitement and ran hurriedly to the tents nearby. "Green one!"

Joohyuk and I hurriedly ran to the green tent and looked for the blue flag with the first clue. 

"There it is!" Joohyuk exclaimed and hurriedly grab the flag together with the first stuff we got, a flashlight, and a piece of paper. 

"Nice. Now read the second clue," I said.

He read out loud, "The next place you'll need to look, is the place where you can find a cook." 

"Omo! Cabin's kitchen!" I exclaimed again and hurriedly ran towards the kitchen together with Joohyuk. 

We arrived at the kitchen, both panting. We looked for the cook and asked for the clue. As a reward, we were given two bottles of water. But before she gave us the clue, we needed to answer a riddle. I trust Joohyuk with this. 

The cook said, "Alright. You must first answer this riddle before we proceed. If you have me, you want to share me. If you share me, you haven't got me. What am I?"

"Hmm." Joohyuk rubbed his chin, thinking. Come on. You can answer this. 

"Ya, hurry up," I whispered. 

"I'm thinking, okay?" 

"Your time is running," the cook said. It's kinda hard. I don't have any idea about her riddle. Who wants to share someone if you have him already, anyway? 

"Secret," Joohyuk said which made me mad. 

"Ya! We don't have time for secrets!" I exclaimed. His face looked surprised. I guess my voice was too loud. Then the cook chuckled. 

"Secret, is correct! Congratulations!" the cook exclaimed and handed Joohyuk a piece of paper. 

I felt embarassed so I bit my lip and faked a laugh. "Sorry," I said. 

Joohyuk just smiled at me. "Still stupid," he said and I pouted. 

"Just read the next clue. I'm not stupid. I was just explaining," I complained.

"Fine." He shrugged. I knew he was smart that's why I fell in love with him in the first place. He helped me with my assignments and projects before we're still together. 

"Third clue, go to the woods and find the next hint. A light will guide you just don't squint."

"Woods? How do we know where to start?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter