Gathering

The Baby Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It’s impossible. We’ve been close friends for nearly ten years already.”

The diction in his solemn response caused Ji Hyo to shift herself away from Jong Kook and towards So Min. His seriousness regarding the topic was uncalled for. Not only was his behaviour unnecessary, but it also made her playful action earlier to deem as out of the place. In an instant, the light atmosphere that the members had forged was intensified with tension.

Was he dating someone? Or does he not like to be associated with me? Or was it because he doesn’t like me? The many questions bombarded her. But that wasn’t much of her concern, what mattered to Ji Hyo was, why would Jong Kook react in the way that made her comment insensitive and irrelevant?

His repeated insensitive portrayal caused her pride to be damaged. She had almost forgotten the healing wound from that afternoon, but now, her wound was injured again. She wouldn’t label herself as prideful, but she has self-esteem and it was crumbled by his strong diction.

A warm hand down her back several times slowly but calmly. She turned towards the source and realised that it was So Min. She furrowed her eyebrow, realising that she had forgotten to activate her blank facial expression, causing her discomfort to be conveniently read from her face.

“Gosh, what are you doing? Dampening the spirits! Soju is on the house today! Jong Kook will be paying for it!”

Gathering the remaining self-esteem that she had by forcing a reassuring smile to Dong Hoon, for his attempt to lighten the atmosphere by volunteering Jong Kook to pay for the drinks.

She was glad that they have been her friends for so many years. Over the years, they have learnt about her for many occasions. She was certain that he understood her enough. The moment she heard the word ‘soju’, she was smiling from ear to ear again. When Jong Kook agreed to pay for the drinks that he would normally choose not to drink, she had already forgiven him. It was unlike her to hold on to grudges anyway.

With the carton of soju brought into the room by Dong Hoon, Kwang Soo stood up and swiftly fished a bottle from the carton. Pouring the clear contents out of the green glass bottles, the aroma of the soju slowly diffused into the room. Kwang Soo served the glasses of soju to the Running Man members by ranking them from their age, from the oldest to the youngest.  

Ji Hyo had always admired Kwang Soo’s quick reflexes in taking initiative. Despite passing the baton for the label of being the maknae to Se Chan, Kwang Soo was very much more proactive than the current maknae.

“Kwang Soo, thank you,” After Ji Hyo had voiced out her appreciation, the other members collectively thanked Kwang Soo.

When Kwang Soo was about to reach to the bottle of mineral water to serve Jong Kook, he politely declined, “Kwang Soo, it’s okay. There’s no need to, I’ll help myself with the water.”

Nodding, Kwang Soo served the rest of the members. When all eight glasses were filled, Jae Suk initiated the first cheer, “Cheers for better tomorrow!” With that, the eight soju glasses let out collective clinks.

“Indeed!” Suk Jin chimed in as they all took their first sip of soju, except for Mr Health Conscious.

“Cheers for more fun together!” Kwang Soo cheered, and they clinked their glasses together and drank yet another sip.

“For better viewership this year!” Se Chan cheered and they did the same.

-

After the first few glasses of soju, Jae Suk decided to excuse himself, “It’s getting late. I shall take my leave soon, see you next week.”

“You’re leaving already?” Suk Jin questioned surprisingly.

“Yes, you should leave too! Let the young people spend time with themselves,” Jae Suk instigated.

“Gosh, why I can’t enjoy my time with younger people?” Suk Jin asked.

“Because you are not getting any younger as the time passes!” Jae Suk retorted.

Jae Suk’s remark caused the table of eight people to burst into laughter.

“Fine, fine. I’ll leave after this,” Suk Jin surrendered in defeat and finished the remaining soju in his glass.

“Are you sure that you’ll keep up to your promise?” Jae Suk teased.

“Look! I’m leaving,” Suk Jin reassured as he immediately stood up and begun to leave the room.

When Suk Jin left the room, Jae Suk was still sitting down comfortably.

“Jae Suk!” Suk Jin bellowed, entering the VIP room upon noticing that he was being played by the most mischievous out of the group.

The entire room exploded into yet another series of laughter as they saw how childish the oldest two of the group interact.

-

When the oldest two finally left, Se Chan moved over to take the space that was empty, giving the others sitting near the wall, more space for themselves as the started the game.

The bottle spun rapidly in the centre of the table. All of the eyes peered on the bottle. Each of them was anticipating on finding out who would be the first lucky person that the bottle wants to choose. Despite being willing to play the game, Ji Hyo hoped that the bottle would not point towards her. Her eyes widened in horror as the bottle slowed down and pointed toward her direction. She couldn’t be that ‘lucky’, could she?

“Truth or dare?” Teasingly, Dong Hoon facilitated the game.

“Truth!” Ji Hyo instantly blurted out her answer.

It was an answer that she wouldn’t need to think twice before answering. She knows how crazy this group of people are when they are not under the influence of alcohol. And certainly, she knows how effective soju can bring the insanity out of sane people. Besides, she was still too sober to bulge into their nonsensical dares. The few shots of soju that she had earlier were nothing but a warm-up to Ji Hyo.

“Easy! Is what you said earlier true? If Suk Jin hyung didn’t bet that Jong Kook hyung and you would never date each other, you would have tried to date Jong Kook hyung?” Dong Hoon asked.

“Unnie, when did you said that?” So Min immediately piqued in curiosity.

“Noona, are you serious? Are you sick? Are you crazy? Since when are you so open on such a topic?” Kwang Soo chimed in.

“Noona is so daring to declare your love for Jong Kook hyung in front of him! Look at Jong Kook hyung! He’s blushing!” Se Chan added teasingly.

“Yah! I’m not blushing! The room is too warm,” Jong Kook quickly retorted.

Ji Hyo cursed profanities at herself. Making a mental note that she should never joke about such a thing in front of them, she looked around helplessly. Curiosity was written on the dongsaengs’ faces in wanting to find out the answer for the part that they had missed earlier. While the facilitator of the game, Dong Hoon, was staring at her with eyes fuelled with the desire to find out the truth of the question that he had asked. Like a poor deer being chased by a coalition of cheetahs, she knew that there was hardly any way out of the mess she had carelessly created.

Desperately, she turned to her left to seek for the one who was supposed to be on the same boat as her, Jong Kook. His face reflected how uninterested he was at the topic even though it was related to him. When their gazes were met, he quickly shifted and looked away. She was in disbelief that someone she trusted so much, her closest friend of all amidst this Running Man family would leave her alone to die in the presence of the group of hyenas.

In her most helpless moment, she suddenly recalled the words that Jong Kook had uttered earlier on. Wittily, she paraphrased his answer into hers with, “Yes, but it’s impossible. Knowing each other for ten years, we couldn’t suddenly develop feelings for each other, can we?”

Sure, she was still angered by Jong Kook’s answer to the question earlier. But, for now, she was glad that she could just recycle his answer and use it as hers. No rule stated that she couldn’t, right?

“NO!” Dong Hoon shrieked in agony, his eyes were holding his heavy head in horror that his plans to unravel the truth was destroyed.

“I did answer the question, didn’t I?” Ji Hyo smirked victoriously.

“Look at what you did, hyung” Dong Hoon blamed Jong Kook.

“What?! I’m just sitting here!” Jong Kook retaliated while daggers were being thrown out of his fiery eyes.

“Fine, fine, I accept this answer,” Dong Hoon conceded reluctantly as he poured soju into his glass and take that shot.

“Noona, since you were chosen by the bottle, now it’s your time to spin it,” Se Chan reminded Ji Hyo of the rules.

Again, their eyes were fixated on spinning bottle.

“No way!” Dong Hoon whined as the bottle chose him.

“Truth or Dare?” Jong Kook immediately asked.

“Hmm… I choose…” Dong Hoon was pondering which to choose, nevertheless, indecisiveness was his forte.

Just then, Dong Hoon mobile phone ringtone filled the momentarily silent room.

“Gimme a while,” Dong Hoon excused himself.

“Wow, did oppa planned this?” So Min asked in awe, in a quite drunken state, she loves to drink but her alcohol tolerance level is way too low to match her love for alcohol.

“It couldn’t be so coincidental,” Kwang Soo added.

“Wow, I’m amazed at his skills at playing dirty. I have a lot to learn,” Se Chan chimed in.

“If he leaves at this phone call, it means that it was planned,” Jong Kook deduced.

“I’m sorry Go Eun called me. Dream and Soul are fighting for the first time and Song is throwing tantrum. She can’t handle them all, so she needs me to return home to help,” Dong Hoon explained.

“Hyung, you are right! Haha hyung wants to bail out of this game!” Se Chan sided with Jong Kook.

But, why would Dong Hoon want to lie regarding these matters? Ji Hyo w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter