The Lunch

The Baby Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A deep sigh escaped her lips when that particular jet-black car diminished in size. Being alone, that evening’s events came crashing upon her mind whilst she took tiny hesitant steps back home.

If only she had chased Jong Kook away earlier on, he wouldn’t have to witness her noisy and chaotic family. She wouldn’t say that she was embarrassed by her family. Rather, she felt that the combination of her entire family at once, for the first meeting, was a lethal one – boisterous, which makes it hard for her to control the conversation’s direction.

Usually, when she gets her friends over, she would ensure that the attendance of her family would not be in full attendance – it’s a bonus if she’s the only one alone at home. But being Saturday family dinner day, it was inevitable that they will all be home by dinner time.

Her fleeting moment alone had come to an end when she found herself at the doorstep of her house. Hesitantly, she placed her hand by the knob. She inhaled a deep breath as she prepared her heart to face her family. To her surprise – horror to be precise, the door flung wide open.

“Unnie! Oppa is so sweet! He even pecked your injured finger for it to heal faster!” Seong Kyung jumped up and down on the spot in exhilaration, “Why didn’t you reward oppa a goodnight kiss?!”

Having barely entered her house with only a foot in, Ji Hyo's eyes dilated in horror upon hearing the words that Seong Kyung had just uttered. She had been together with her family for almost forty years, knowing her family well, Ji Hyo felt that being the first hit – it’s quite a harsh one.

“Yah!" Ji Hyo was at the loss of words before she recollected herself and shrieked, "How can I kiss him!?”

The words that Ji Hyo had spoken, caused the four pairs of on-looking bewildered eyes to stare at her. Initially, Ji Hyo didn't understand what would influence her family to compete against each other in the hanging of their jaws.

It took Ji Hyo a few moments, for the words that she had spoken to sink in her mind. Muttering under her breath to curse at herself, she bit her lip hard. With a plastering a sheepish smile, Ji Hyo panicked as she brainstormed an idea to recover the mess that she had made. When the idea struck on her, she clasped her hands together in pretence reluctance.

With a hand to cover her coy smile, she pushed her hair back behind her ear with the other hand. Deliberately creasing her eyes up, she chirped, “What I meant is that, with all of you at the balcony, how would I be able to give him a goodnight kiss?”

In her heart she was praying that her family would buy her story, there was no way she's going to spill her actual relationship with Jong Kook, not when they had already purchased the first instalment of her contract relationship with Jong Kook. And, she was pleased to see how they nodded their heads in joy.

Seong Moon playful nudged her shoulder, with a bemused grin pasted on his face, he teased, "Noona, you don't have to be shy! We are a family after all!"

Scrunching her nose, her brows furrowed together. Her legs instinctively begun her mad chase after Seong Moon to give him a beating. She retorted in a grimace, "Shy? Who says that I'm shy?!"

Running to the other end of the living room, Seong Moon used the sofa as an obstacle to protecting himself. Seong Moon flailed his arms in the air as he sarcastically screamed, “Save me!”

“Yah Seong Moon!” Ji Hyo screamed at her younger brother; it was then she remembered she had unsettled debts with him.

Capturing her brother at his ear, she pulled his ear and scolded him, “I have yet to hear an explanation from you! Why did you even bring Jong Kook oppa in?!”

Muttering under his breath, he shrugged, “It’s not my fault that I’m more hospitable than you!”

However, his murmurs didn’t escape the range of her earshot. As the scowl emitted from her face intensified, the pull on his ear became harder and he winced louder, she exploded in fury, “Why do I have to invite him in when he was just waiting for me to get ready?”

“Then at this rate, when would you ever get married?” her mother interjected, much to Ji Hyo’s dismay.

Freeing Seong Moon’s ear, she crossed her arms in front of her chest, not wanting her mother to interfere with her squabble with her brother, she whined, “Omma!”

Instead of washing her hands off the matter, her mother chided, “You should be thankful that I had invited Jong Kook for dinner, how else would we know that he likes you that much?”

Paralysed by fear, Ji Hyo speechlessly stood upright with her chest tucked upright and hands by her side, she nodded her head reluctantly. Since young, her mother had been the strictest with her as she was the eldest in the family, as such its inflicted fear on her.

For the record, so long as her mother implicated their sibling squabbles, Ji Hyo had never won before. She didn’t like how her mother’s fierceness was only effective to her, and not her younger siblings. Unlike her, her younger siblings were unfazed by their mother’s chiding.

Mimicking Jong Kook’s tone that was laced with forged sincerity, Seong Moon re-enacted, “It took a lot of courage for me to realise that I like her, no, I love her to the moon and back.”

Baffled, Seong Kyung widened her eyes as she squeaked, “Oppa did that?”, in which Seong Moon nodded.

“Oh my gosh! Oppa is so cheesy!” Seong Kyung squealed, bringing her hands to cover her face.

“Then don’t get one that is as cheesy as Jong Kook,” Her father advised.

“Appa, no! What I meant that I like his cheesiness so much! If I could, I might want to date him!” Seong Kyung beamed.

“Yah Seong Kyung! Behave yourself! You are not a recycling bin! Don’t target your sister’s boyfriend!” Her father chided with a murderous glint, which caused a victorious smile escaped from Ji Hyo’s lips as she watched how stiffly Seong Kyung nodded.

Unlike her younger siblings, who were more afraid of their father, Ji Hyo was the one who has the closest terms with her father. Since young, while her mother overwhelmed her with responsibilities as the eldest, her father was always there for her being the one who guided her.

Her victorious smile faded a moment after when she saw Seong Moon nudged Seong Kyung’s arms. From her brother’s little trifling manoeuvre, Ji Hyo’s sixth sense felt that her dongsaengs were up to no good.

Cupping his left hand and pretending that he was holding his rice bowl, Seong Kyung followed thereafter. Seong Moon tuned the tone of his voice to be a mellow one, placing some food on Seong Kyung’s imaginary rice bowl, he sent a caring look at his second sister, “What else do you want?”

Raising her pitch to sound like Ji Hyo, for Seong Kyung had a lower voice, she re-enacted, “No need, I can help myself,” as a coy smile escaped her lips.

Watching the re-enactment of the scene of the heart-warming gesture made by Jong Kook, she was reminded of him. Embarrassed, her hands made way for her face, covering the flush from her family. Swiftly, she made a mad dash to her room, which was usually shared with Seong Kyung, and slammed the door and quickly locking it.

“Yah unnie! Where do I sleep tonight?!” Seong Kyung screamed.

That question wasn’t much of her concern, but she was courteous enough to scream an answered through the shuttered door disinterestedly, “In the study!”

In the study, there was a spare mattress that could be pulled out to sleep on. It’s a back-up plan for them to use either when they had guests over or when they had they quarrels.

With urgent knocks vigorously hitting on her door, she heard her younger sister whined, “Unnie!”

Ignoring her sister screams, she headed to the bathroom for a quick shower. When she was done with her shower, she leaned her ear on the door. When she was pleased with the golden silence, she unlocked her door and hopped to her bed – she didn’t mean it when she asked her sister to sleep in the study, this matter wasn’t that grave for her to be punished.

To her, the bed is the most sacred place – and she would only la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter