Closer

Broken Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you sure about this girl?” Dara asked over the phone, sounding impatient. She had been waiting on her seat, losing count on how many college students passed on her front. “I thought she said 9:30 a.m.” She said. “Well, it’s near 12 noon. Gosh! I’m gonna be late for my class.”

 

“Okay. Okay. I’ll message her again.”

 

“Bom. You know what,” She sighed as she stared at the box of a Class A Nike shoes on her side. “I really think this is a scam, a bogus buyer.” She told her friend, now looking at the endless pairs of branded shoes making a catwalk on both sides.

 

“What?”

 

“What kind of SMU student would buy a class A shoes online?” SM University. It is the school where the richest and brightest kids in Seoul go. “For $17.00? Come on now.” Now, she felt stupid for going there in the first place. She could feel the weird looks the students had been giving her. They all looked like models in some Fashion Week while she? She was on her sorry school uniform, an old knee length brown skirt, white blouse, flesh striped necktie, gray hoodie and white shoes, which now looks brown as well with all the mud and dust it confronted.

 

Park Bom, her bestfriend, owns this online shop and she helps her by delivering the orders. She got traumatized when she shipped a $90 item and the buyer said she never received a thing. That ended with a threat of lawsuits and . So, there she was, working for her friend on her free time. She gets 10% for any item anyway.

 

“I swear if Professor Kim kicks me out of class, I will kill y-”

 

“Ahh !” Bom cursed out loud on the phone.

 

Dara flinched and moved her head away from it then put her ear back. “What? Wae? What happened to you?”

 

“Dara! Ppali! Go to SMU! Now! You’re late!”

 

“I am in SMU!” She shouted now on the phone, ignoring the glances from the filthy rich Koreans around her. “I’ve been sitting here outside the SM University’s cafeteria for about two hours already! What is wro-”

 

“No! No!” She cut her off. “It’s not SM University. SMU vulcanizing shop. I’ll send you the address. Go! She said that she’d been waiting there for so long. She said she’ll leave if you won’t be there in 5 minutes.”

 

“What?!” Dara stood abruptly, wanting to kill someone. She didn’t know if it were the buyer for making such a demand or her bestfriend for stupidly getting and giving her a wrong address. A vulcanizing shop?! “Arrghh! I hate you!” She put her phone back to her bag. She gritted her teeth, and prepared to run when somebody bumped her side that made the shoes fell on the grass. She turned around and looked at the unapologetic lady who was busy on the phone. “Sorry?” Dara uttered in sarcasm. She bowed and took the box when her eyes caught a glance of something.

 

Hey

There’s a look in your eyes

 

Of someone…

 

Must be love at first sight

 

All of a sudden, she forgot about Bom . . . the shoes . . . the SMU vulcanizing shop . . .

 

You were just part of a dream

 

She didn’t even want to blink, scared that he might disappear from her sight. She made a loud gulp, hoping that would calm the crazy beating of her heart.

 

Nothing more so it seemed                 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter